Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah really - if I wanted political nonsense, I'd click this facebook link about how President Obama revealed himself as a communist, I won't believe what he said!

Anyone else "working" today, but really doing nothing? Working from home advantage, I didn't even wake up until 11:30 (and no one cares).

Yep. Had to drive in to work, but there's a total of 4 people here (including me) and I'm going to cut out a bit early. Caught up on a few minor things that I've been putting off and have otherwise just been studying/screwing around on the internet all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I'm here to monitor some of our student workers. I kinda stopped assuming they just watch YouTube after the one kid had cut himself up on the clock somehow. I'm basically cleaning off my desk from where I couldn't do that before, didn't have the time.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah really - if I wanted political nonsense, I'd click this facebook link about how President Obama revealed himself as a communist, I won't believe what he said!

Anyone else "working" today, but really doing nothing? Working from home advantage, I didn't even wake up until 11:30 (and no one cares).

I got one call all day. The only tickets that came in were ones I opened. :(

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Got one ticket, turned out it was a client-side browser issue. Spent the rest of the day sleeping on the couch in my office while Deep Space 9 played in the background.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
poo poo pissing me off: people actually calling me when I have to work the 26th. Like, I know I volunteered for these days, but that was only because I figured everybody else wouldn't be present.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The VP wanted someone physically in the office today by 9:00 AM, so I was there. in TYOOL 2014, at a technology company, we need to be IN THE OFFICE :bang:

Simpleboo
Oct 19, 2013

Did a lot of nothing at work today. Only real problem caused by supervisor not remounting NFS shares when he did maintenance on Sunday.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
It was a good thing I was at work today. Not only did I have a virus infection to deal with (see other thread), but we had a power outage and I had to manually revive a server or two.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

"Come in at 6 am on a Saturday to supervise a project you know absolutely nothing about." Yes, I do enjoy sleeping under my desk. Thank you for asking.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Seriously pissing me off: Wireless at home.

I can't get it stable, and I am not sure why. Router is in the living room in one part and I put up a AP in the kitchen in the other end of the apartment. But wireless still drops out on mobile devices seemingly randomly. Checked what channels the neighbour use and tried to set mine accordingly, but it's all broken. Restarting the router (never the ap), the mobile device with trouble or sometimes just turning wifi off and on fixes it. Changing channel or channel width (making any change seemingly) on the router also fixes it.

I have no idea what to do. I have RMA'ed a router before because the wireless broke so often, but it can't be true that just the wireless keeps breaking on my routers.

This poo poo is really really pissing me off. Setting up a server to act as DHCP, gateway and all the other router things is becoming more and more tempting, using pure APs for wifi.

Anyone have any idea how to even troubleshoot this?

It's even worse then when I set up wifi at a school I worked at years ago. Reinforced concrete everywhere, no plaster/thin sheet walls. For a small part consisting of 3 class rooms, separated by one or two walls, I had to use 3 APs. With one to five users in each classroom (special school, very few students). With no budget of course, so cheapest consumer grade APs.

gently caress wifi.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

Seriously pissing me off: Wireless at home.

I can't get it stable, and I am not sure why. Router is in the living room in one part and I put up a AP in the kitchen in the other end of the apartment. But wireless still drops out on mobile devices seemingly randomly. Checked what channels the neighbour use and tried to set mine accordingly, but it's all broken. Restarting the router (never the ap), the mobile device with trouble or sometimes just turning wifi off and on fixes it. Changing channel or channel width (making any change seemingly) on the router also fixes it.

I have no idea what to do. I have RMA'ed a router before because the wireless broke so often, but it can't be true that just the wireless keeps breaking on my routers.

This poo poo is really really pissing me off. Setting up a server to act as DHCP, gateway and all the other router things is becoming more and more tempting, using pure APs for wifi.

Anyone have any idea how to even troubleshoot this?

It's even worse then when I set up wifi at a school I worked at years ago. Reinforced concrete everywhere, no plaster/thin sheet walls. For a small part consisting of 3 class rooms, separated by one or two walls, I had to use 3 APs. With one to five users in each classroom (special school, very few students). With no budget of course, so cheapest consumer grade APs.

gently caress wifi.

If you don't have a ubiquity unifi you are doing WiFi wrong.

Seriously though, I got sick and tired of home routers breaking so I got that thing and it's been amazingly amazing.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I have an Ubiquiti Unifi Pro and a Meraki MR18 running and they work really well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Otherwise my consumer grade Asus ADSL router has been absolutely rock solid on both bands (DSL-N55U)

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

dissss posted:

Otherwise my consumer grade Asus ADSL router has been absolutely rock solid on both bands (DSL-N55U)

Would you go so far as to describe the Asus unit as "heart touching?"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've never had an issue with Apple AirPorts either.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

My airlink kept pissing me off mightily. I coyld see the ssn but it absolutely refused to let me connect. Took me 4 hours of cussing to realize I could see the ssn even when the router was powered off...
Turns out someone else in my complex has the same router and never changed the ssn, and mine was DOA even though the LEDs lit up. :v:
The replacement has been rock solid though.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

KaneTW posted:

I have an Ubiquiti Unifi Pro and a Meraki MR18 running and they work really well.

I'm completely ignorant about these. Does the controller software have to run on a computer that is always running, or can it work if the controller computer is only powered on when you're making configuration changes?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

the controller is just for initial setup once everything is working you don't even need that computer to be on or even there

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
If you don't need 802.11ac, MikroTik's mAP2n is a rock-solid, inexpensive little device.

If one of them doesn't cover your entire house, get two and mesh them - It's nice.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

Stealthgerbil posted:

the controller is just for initial setup once everything is working you don't even need that computer to be on or even there

Thanks. I know what my next home networking purchase is going to be now.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Caconym posted:

Turns out someone else in my complex has the same router and never changed the ssn, and mine was DOA even though the LEDs lit up. :v:

Don't use default SSIDs. In WPA/WPA2 the passcode is salted with the SSID, so using a common one makes you vulnerable to rainbow tables. "Airlink101" doesn't seem to be in the top 1000 list that's the most common package, but it's still well known and is likely in a number of larger sets.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

wolrah posted:

Don't use default SSIDs. In WPA/WPA2 the passcode is salted with the SSID, so using a common one makes you vulnerable to rainbow tables. "Airlink101" doesn't seem to be in the top 1000 list that's the most common package, but it's still well known and is likely in a number of larger sets.

I'm most certainly not using default ssn. This was during first setup when it was new, before I'd had a chance to change it. One of my neighbours however, is still broadcasting AirLink181050.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Karanth posted:

Thanks. I know what my next home networking purchase is going to be now.

They are really amazing and are rock solid. I would suggest installing the controller on your main computer but once you get it set up you will almost never have to touch it. You can also ssh into them as well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Stealthgerbil posted:

They are really amazing and are rock solid. I would suggest installing the controller on your main computer but once you get it set up you will almost never have to touch it. You can also ssh into them as well.

Yeah, and the 300+ foot range and the ability to set many of them up on the same ssid without hassle is fantastic as well.
Mine has been on for over 6months now without a single issue. No drops or slowdowns at all. One of my best purchase of 2014 by far.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

poo poo not pissing me off: I'm not on call over the holidays. :toot: Although oncall duty is generally pretty low-effort around this time because we stop letting our users make configuration changes a week before the vacation starts.

poo poo pissing me off: my mother in law asked me to take a look at her netbook, an old Acer running Ubuntu 12.04. Well, it was running 12.04; it offered to dist-upgrade to 14.04 and she said OK. That's not the part that pisses me off. The part that pisses me off is that this upgrade broke the gently caress out of everything, leaving it slow as poo poo and her unable to shut down or reboot, make networking changes, or basically do anything that requires sudo under the hood. Except that sudo from the terminal still worked.

I ended up just booting from a 14.04 liveUSB and reinstalling the OS. I have no idea what the underlying problem was.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The underlying problem is that canonical trends to break poo poo when you do version updates, the more versions behind you are, the worse it is.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

pienipple posted:

The underlying problem is that canonical trends to break poo poo when you do version updates, the more versions behind you are, the worse it is.

Just tried a dist-upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 today, can confirm. Broke everything. Reinstalled fresh and all is well. You'd really think they'd put more effort in to LTS to LTS updates, but I guess really there aren't many good reasons to actually want to upgrade an OS rather than reinstalling.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

wolrah posted:

Just tried a dist-upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 today, can confirm. Broke everything. Reinstalled fresh and all is well. You'd really think they'd put more effort in to LTS to LTS updates, but I guess really there aren't many good reasons to actually want to upgrade an OS rather than reinstalling.

The biggest reason, especially for a non-technical user, is that it's the difference between "click the 'Upgrade' button when it appears, then reboot when prompted" and "write a liveUSB, boot from it, coerce the Ubuntu installer into doing a fresh install while preserving /home, and then reinstall all of the programs you use that aren't part of the base image".

I guess in the future I'll just tell her not to let it dist-upgrade; it's LTS so she should continue getting updates for a good long while anyways.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

every ticket from a third party incident desk ever posted:

Hello,

Please check the status of the site, as monitoring has dropped below XX%. Could you do the needful, please kindly and thank you.

Thanks for providing no information (your monitoring system has network outages at least once a month anyway) nor any specifics in your ticket regarding what site you're even talking about if you have multiple of them. Your platitudes mean nothing to me!

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

ToxicFrog posted:

The biggest reason, especially for a non-technical user, is that it's the difference between "click the 'Upgrade' button when it appears, then reboot when prompted" and "write a liveUSB, boot from it, coerce the Ubuntu installer into doing a fresh install while preserving /home, and then reinstall all of the programs you use that aren't part of the base image".

I guess in the future I'll just tell her not to let it dist-upgrade; it's LTS so she should continue getting updates for a good long while anyways.

Probably the best solution is to turn off the notice to upgrade to a new version and make sure backports and security updates are checked. Then it'll be fine until you or someone else semi-technical gets around to burning a disc to install from.

Backup /home, fresh install, a few minutes in the software center installing favored programs is the way I do it. Upgrading in place just not freaking working is one of Ubuntu's biggest faults. Booting from the live CD to install also lets me make sure everything is actually working properly, I remember the version where they hosed up wireless networking, and the one where they broke most people's sound.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I just give up on imagemagick's .net wrapper. Going to keep using it as external process through command line...

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
poo poo pissing me off: For the first time in two years I was not on call over the holiday, so I took the week off. Between spending the first half of the week cleaning and cooking for company, and the second half with the whole family sick, I am more tired and stressed than I would have been if I had spent the week working from home.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SubjectVerbObject posted:

poo poo pissing me off: For the first time in two years I was not on call over the holiday, so I took the week off. Between spending the first half of the week cleaning and cooking for company, and the second half with the whole family sick, I am more tired and stressed than I would have been if I had spent the week working from home.

High five "work is my vacation from home" buddy :(:hf::(

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I have now officially been out more days with a sinus infection than I was for having an ICD installed in my chest. This poo poo sucks, and I want to be able to talk, go to work, and drink liquids again.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Just got told this on Wednesday: So we're thinking of changing on-call from a rotation of people who want to take it during the week and another group taking it on a mandatory rotation during the weekend to just your department taking it and it being a mandatory rotation of everyone in just your department.

Who is making the decision? Boss above my boss above my boss. Someone who is so disconnected from the company we don't even know if it's actually going to happen, but drat I started this job with the intent to never work weekends.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dobermaniac posted:

Just got told this on Wednesday: So we're thinking of changing on-call from a rotation of people who want to take it during the week and another group taking it on a mandatory rotation during the weekend to just your department taking it and it being a mandatory rotation of everyone in just your department.

Who is making the decision? Boss above my boss above my boss. Someone who is so disconnected from the company we don't even know if it's actually going to happen, but drat I started this job with the intent to never work weekends.

Well, how comfortable are you with rocking the boat?

If you weren't hired with the expectation you would be on call over weekends, I'd let your manager know this and follow up with HR.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Exit Strategy posted:

I have now officially been out more days with a sinus infection than I was for having an ICD installed in my chest. This poo poo sucks, and I want to be able to talk, go to work, and drink liquids again.
For real. I caught the flu on 12/13, and I am teetering on the precipice of better, but man after 15 days, being sick stops being cute. I love a quick cold, take 2 days to nap on the couch and talk wike you's a wittle baby wid a tummy ache, but 15 days of this just isn't doing it for me.

e: Since I'm the most recent post, here's some hilarious behavior. I was attempting to copy 493 PDFs from one folder to another, but accidentally hit enter on them, as you do. Foxit opened all 493, with ever decreasing speed, in 493 new processes! I appreciate that it did what I told it, I did hit enter on 493 PDFs, but man I think I'll be a little more delicate with PDFs from now on.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 29, 2014

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Dobermaniac posted:

You and your boss have told them that this comes with a giant price tag, right? I feel sorry for you, hope you come out ok.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dunno-Lars posted:

You and your boss have told them that this comes with a giant price tag, right? I feel sorry for you, hope you come out ok.

It's just human resources. You can always acquire more resources, and if someone leaves they just weren't the kind of person who should be working here anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Volmarias posted:

It's just human resources. You can always acquire more resources, and if someone leaves they just weren't the kind of person who should be working here anyway.

Plus we can hire younger, cheaper sysadmins fresh out of college! Why is our network hopelessly unstable? What do you mean these two things could be related? That sounds like entrapment to me. :colbert: