Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
One of the ways that people can help ensure a good run is to not take any red heart damage. You don't have to worry about that for the first floor, but if you manage it for the second floor and beyond, you can make a deal with the devil after you kill the boss. He might give you some really powerful items, so try to head straight for the boss if you can if you feel powerful enough. You've probably seen some grey hearts around. Taking those is like armor, and taking grey heart damage doesn't count against you for devil deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Ok so I've hit The Chest with infinite beggars and created a lot of gold chests outside of the secret room. I'm pretty sure that I haven't picked up the noose but all my secret room beggars are giving me Breakfast. Did I gently caress this up?

Edit: oh wait sometimes I get Lunch.

Amcoti fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 27, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Dr. Fetus posted:

One of the ways that people can help ensure a good run is to not take any red heart damage. You don't have to worry about that for the first floor, but if you manage it for the second floor and beyond, you can make a deal with the devil after you kill the boss.

This is good advice that I can work towards.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Clearing the boss early is also a good idea because if you get a hard boss and take a lot of damage, you can just go back to gather up any hearts left on the floor and head down to the next one at no further risk. If you put off fighting the boss and end up hitting a difficult room that costs you a bunch of hearts, you still have to fight the boss.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
AZ0A
GVPV

Holy mantle, pentagram, and rerolled purple syringe and lil brimstone all on basement xl. Curse room on caves 1 had goat head, devil room has up brimstone. Devil dealed spirit of the night, guppys head, the contract, sacrificial dagger over the course of the rest of the game while picking up magic mushroom , crickets head, chocolate milk, a couple types of bombs and way more. Had batteries for days, which is how I rerolled my way to all that poo poo. Would have gotten the no damage achievement on the chest if I didnt full clear it and fight a double adversary on my last room.

does the seed thing still work on ps4

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

mr. nobody posted:

Do you people that are quite good at the game rely on a good set of drops and restart until that happens, or do you approach every run like you're going to the end of it?

Side question, do you twin-stick to move/shoot or dpad/buttons?

I ask because I suck, and if there's some way that is better so I will generally get farther in my runs I'm willing to try it. I generally clear every level and only open up stores if I have more than 10 coins to spend. I take whatever I get every run and usually die around the depths levels, almost always I die to mom if I get that far.

Help me help myself to get better!

If I'm going for unlocks or achievements (or playing Lost) I'll restart scum, otherwise I'll stick with what I have unless I get some absolutely horrid luck with items up to around caves 1.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Ariong posted:

Clearing the boss early is also a good idea because if you get a hard boss and take a lot of damage, you can just go back to gather up any hearts left on the floor and head down to the next one at no further risk. If you put off fighting the boss and end up hitting a difficult room that costs you a bunch of hearts, you still have to fight the boss.

In addition to this, avoid replenishing your soul hearts (if you still have some) and picking up eternal hearts (if you want them) until you complete a floor. That way you can avoid losing them to stupid damage, and have a decent buffer going into the next floor.

AnonSpore posted:

If I'm going for unlocks or achievements (or playing Lost) I'll restart scum, otherwise I'll stick with what I have unless I get some absolutely horrid luck with items up to around caves 1.

And this is why I can't wait to be finished with unlocks- so I can play the game 'for real'.

In the old game I'd random a character and suck up whatever the RNG gave me- I don't think I'll use the random function in Rebirth though on account of The Lost

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Here's a good tip: If you have a strength card, you can pop it for an extra red heart for use in devil deals, even if it goes away once you leave the room. For instance, if you had 2 red heart containers and a couple of soul hearts (to give you a buffer so you don't die on hitting 0 red hearts), and you went into a devil room that had: Guppy's head (1 heart), brimstone (2 hearts), and Abaddon (2 hearts), you could pick up the head, then the brimstone, taking you to 0 red hearts, then pop your strength card and pick up Abaddon, giving you all the items.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Atomicated posted:

Ok so I've hit The Chest with infinite beggars and created a lot of gold chests outside of the secret room. I'm pretty sure that I haven't picked up the noose but all my secret room beggars are giving me Breakfast. Did I gently caress this up?

I think only a certain subset of each item pool is available each game.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

mr. nobody posted:

Do you people that are quite good at the game rely on a good set of drops and restart until that happens, or do you approach every run like you're going to the end of it?

I ask because I suck, and if there's some way that is better so I will generally get farther in my runs I'm willing to try it. I generally clear every level and only open up stores if I have more than 10 coins to spend. I take whatever I get every run and usually die around the depths levels, almost always I die to mom if I get that far.

What I do (which is admittedly weird) is do a warmup Azazel run because I could probably get to Isaac/Satan without picking up any items at all on him, just to get into the Isaac groove. Once I'm there, I play at least to the Caves II. If I'm taking a lot of dumb damage and losing out of Devil/God rooms I'll reset. If I get a run of really bad items (experimental treatment, soy milk, only health items from bosses, etc) I'll reset.

Really the only thing you can do is learn to dodge, really that's it. Basically my metric for a decent run is 1 hit on the first 2 floors, no more than 4 on the next, and as few as possible on the next 2. After 6 floors of not taking any red heart damage you should have enough Devil or God items to have at least a heart killing run.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

TheModernAmerican posted:

What I do (which is admittedly weird) is do a warmup Azazel run because I could probably get to Isaac/Satan without picking up any items at all on him, just to get into the Isaac groove. Once I'm there, I play at least to the Caves II. If I'm taking a lot of dumb damage and losing out of Devil/God rooms I'll reset. If I get a run of really bad items (experimental treatment, soy milk, only health items from bosses, etc) I'll reset.

Really the only thing you can do is learn to dodge, really that's it. Basically my metric for a decent run is 1 hit on the first 2 floors, no more than 4 on the next, and as few as possible on the next 2. After 6 floors of not taking any red heart damage you should have enough Devil or God items to have at least a heart killing run.

You know this is a video game right and some accounting gig?

Lmao at "warming up"

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Yeah, unless you're a professional Starcraft or DOTA player 'warming up' is weird word to use to describe videogaming.

You know why I stopped playing WoW? Because my guild actually expected me to work. If I had to 'warm up' to play a game I'd just not bother.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

I like getting into a groove? Like poo poo, I just throw on some podcast or an audiobook and have fun with Azazel because he's easy mode. Then I actually do the obnoxious poo poo of grinding unlock with Isaac.

I'm sorry I'm enjoying this single player game incorrectly.

e: I even call myself out for being weird. Lol, calm yourselves.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Poizen Jam posted:

Yeah, unless you're a professional Starcraft or DOTA player 'warming up' is weird word to use to describe videogaming.

Binding of Isaac is pretty unforgiving, so I can see where he's coming from. If I pause the game and come back to it after a while, I usually gently caress things up.

I'm sorry I'm enjoying this single player game incorrectly.

e: I even call myself out for being weird. Lol, calm yourselves.

It doesn't take much for people to snipe at posts on here. That's just the lay of the land. :shrug:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

death .cab for qt posted:

That pickup would give you barely any evil hearts compared to its full potential, and a damage modifier that is meaningless since you have 9 pennies out of 99 for damage.

I mean, lovely roll, but c'mon man

The Robes are a damage increase too. Also any amount of cash increase with Money = Power is a damage increase. It scales linearly. Every individual cent isn't a lot, but it's still more than not having it.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Thanks again for all the advice, how about pills? They're always a gamble because they are always ??? until used once. Any trick to it, are they color coded or should I just chow down every one and roll with it?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

LLCoolJD posted:

It doesn't take much for people to snipe at posts on here. That's just the lay of the land. :shrug:

Yeah I'm not really seeing where he got the impression we're riled up about it or not calm. It was an easy thing to pick up.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Skaw posted:

The Robes are a damage increase too. Also any amount of cash increase with Money = Power is a damage increase. It scales linearly. Every individual cent isn't a lot, but it's still more than not having it.

Do damage increases increase the minimum and maximum values possible for Money = Power? I thought it would be pointless for a 0.2 power increase on that 0-99 scale

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

mr. nobody posted:

Thanks again for all the advice, how about pills? They're always a gamble because they are always ??? until used once. Any trick to it, are they color coded or should I just chow down every one and roll with it?

The colors change every game, but you should mostly eat them. The idea is that you will only use bad pills once since once you know what they are, you won't eat anymore of that kind. Good pills you will keep eating and can easily carry a run if you get lots of balls of steel for devil deal protection or something similar.

Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.

mr. nobody posted:

I only restarted and relied on my first set of drops when I was clearing The Lost. Otherwise, just go for it. (Unless your first item is like Soy Milk and that isn't your bag or whatever.) At some point you'll know when to throw in the towel (unless you're clearing stuff, in which case go for gusto).

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Dr. Fetus posted:

One of the ways that people can help ensure a good run is to not take any red heart damage. You don't have to worry about that for the first floor, but if you manage it for the second floor and beyond, you can make a deal with the devil after you kill the boss. He might give you some really powerful items, so try to head straight for the boss if you can if you feel powerful enough. You've probably seen some grey hearts around. Taking those is like armor, and taking grey heart damage doesn't count against you for devil deals.

How does taking red heart damage hurt you for devil deals?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

death .cab for qt posted:

Do damage increases increase the minimum and maximum values possible for Money = Power? I thought it would be pointless for a 0.2 power increase on that 0-99 scale

Yeah. Not all damage up items add in whole numbers either. Pentagram is +1.5 for example.

edit: Oh I read your question wrong though. Minimum and maximum values from money = power can't be modified really, but every bit helps when you start getting items that add damage multipliers too.

Looking at Platinumgod, 5 cents with Money = Power is a bit short of being comparable to Magic Mushroom or Meat!'s damage +. Those two items give +0.3.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 27, 2014

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 31, 2022

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Zo posted:

The colors change every game, but you should mostly eat them. The idea is that you will only use bad pills once since once you know what they are, you won't eat anymore of that kind. Good pills you will keep eating and can easily carry a run if you get lots of balls of steel for devil deal protection or something similar.

You would need to see the full set of pills at least twice for that to work out in your favour though. It does make pills a little more favourable, but it's still very possible to end up worse off for using them.

I honestly find pills a way worse gamble than they used to be in Flash Isaac.

Darth Windu posted:

How does taking red heart damage hurt you for devil deals?

Taking red heart damage on a floor will reduce the chances of it spawning significantly (though this can be offset by bombing beggars, holding a pentagram, and a few other methods). Taking red heart damage on the boss is like a full -99% to the chance a devil room will spawn- it's still technically possible if you have a bunch of positive modifiers, but taking red heart damage on the boss is the single biggest reason for failing to spawn a devil/angel room.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Unaffected by book of Belial I assume?? Been heck of playing Judas lately.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Belial and Goat Head guarantee devil/angel rooms. Unless you got the Goat Head from a devil deal, then it's devil rooms only.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Poizen Jam posted:

You would need to see the full set of pills at least twice for that to work out in your favour though. It does make pills a little more favourable, but it's still very possible to end up worse off for using them.

I honestly find pills a way worse gamble than they used to be in Flash Isaac.

Nah, statistically it works out in your favor way faster than that. You only need to see a second good pill that you know before information from eating pills is +EV for you. Obviously you can, with terrible luck, end up worse on a particular run, but in the long run it's way, way better to eat pills and that's what matters.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

mr. nobody posted:

In WotL pills were generally a risk, but there are more good/neutral pills than bad pills now, so I gobble them down. Really the only bad one is late hematemesis on a red heart build

Poizen Jam posted:

Yeah I'm not really seeing where he got the impression we're riled up about it or not calm. It was an easy thing to pick up.

I do not think you are sitting behind your keyboard frothing at the mouth, I think you are pretty dumb for criticizing playstyle in a single player game.

Also money equals power, in addition to being #swag, is incredibly powerful in Rebirth. It's scaling is really good.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Zo posted:

Nah, statistically it works out in your favor way faster than that. You only need to see a second good pill that you know before information from eating pills is +EV for you. Obviously you can, with terrible luck, end up worse on a particular run, but in the long run it's way, way better to eat pills and that's what matters.

Oh poo poo you're right- I should have picked up on that. I know more about stats than that. I suppose I'd need to know how many pills show up in an 'average' run to extrapolate an actual estimate of good vs. bad results.

Still, this game no longer guarantees an even split between good/bad pills does it? Or am I just being thrown off by the increase in 'neutral' and barely useful pills? Pretty sure Flash Isaac had 6 or 8 pills in a given run with an even split, so you can more quickly infer if a ??? pill is good or bad based on previous results. Seems more ambiguous now.

I do not think you are sitting behind your keyboard frothing at the mouth, I think you are pretty dumb for criticizing playstyle in a single player game.

I just think it's pretty silly to specifically 'warm up' for a non-competitive single player videogame. I described the use of the word as 'weird', I didn't say you were dumb for doing it. It just makes playing a video game sound like work. That's not a critique so much as a commentary.

A critique would be if I argued it's somehow wrong or ineffective to do so. Like the people who were arguing cheating in BoI is somehow wrong or dishonest and actually getting offended over it. That is pretty silly.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 31, 2022

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

^ That's... literally why I play him dude. It's not practice at all. :I

Poizen Jam posted:

Oh poo poo you're right- I should have picked up on that. I know more about stats than that. I suppose I'd need to know how many pills show up in an 'average' run to extrapolate an actual estimate of good vs. bad results.

Still, this game no longer guarantees an even split between good/bad pills does it? Or am I just being thrown off by the increase in 'neutral' and barely useful pills? Pretty sure Flash Isaac had 6 or 8 pills in a given run with an even split, so you can more quickly infer if a ??? pill is good or bad based on previous results. Seems more ambiguous now.

There are 13 good pills, 8 bad pills, 3 can be really good or really bad (hematemesis, bombs are key, telepills), 3 cosmetic (assuming you don't pop pills mid combat and have a patients to wait out RUA Wizard), and one that can be useful if you don't have any bombs. In WotL, there were 8 good, 5 bad, and 4 other. Additionally some of the new good pills are really good, like 48 hour energy which can single handedly win a run if you have the D6 or a blank card or heart generator. I pretty much never popped pills in WotL, but I guzzle them down in Rebirth.

Poizen Jam posted:

I just think it's pretty silly to specifically 'warm up' for a non-competitive single player videogame. I described the use of the word as 'weird', I didn't say you were dumb for doing it. It just makes playing a video game sound like work. That's not a critique so much as a commentary.

But like, why do it? Especially when I already commented on it myself. I just like having one really easy free win to start my Isaac session. Granted, once I get real platinum god and I actually play this game to have simple fun, my playstyle will be much more casual.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

There are 13 good pills, 8 bad pills, 3 can be really good or really bad (hematemesis, bombs are key, telepills), 3 cosmetic (assuming you don't pop pills mid combat and have a patients to wait out RUA Wizard), and one that can be useful if you don't have any bombs. In WotL, there were 8 good, 5 bad, and 4 other. Additionally some of the new good pills are really good, like 48 hour energy which can single handedly win a run if you have the D6 or a blank card or heart generator. I pretty much never popped pills in WotL, but I guzzle them down in Rebirth.

I was more interested in the distribution of good or bad pills in an isolated, single run, not how many pill types exist in the entire game. That's what I meant when I said Flash Isaac had 6 or 8 pills 'in a given run', though it would have been more accurate to say 'types of pills'.

Of course when I was mulling the statistics over in my head I was only thinking about stat up and stat down pills- I neglected to remember things like pretty fly and 48 hour energy. That slants the decision more in favour of guzzling pills.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 27, 2014

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Atomicated posted:

The probability of certain items spawning is reduced if you have other items from the same pool, replacing them with a generic food item instead. This is particularly noticeable with the special items that replace your standard shot like the knife, brimstone, ipecac, etc. but it affects other pools as well. For Transcendence, I think the game goes out of its way to prevent you from getting multiple flight objects in one run, so if you already have lord of the pit/flies/guppy mode it might not spawn. If that's not it, the game might just be stubborn, and it'll spawn eventually. Hard to say, there's a lot of obfuscated mechanics.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
On warming up; If it's a game with daily runs like Spelunky or (as of now) Nuclear Throne, I'll "warm up" so I get in the right mindset, but with nothing like that in rebirth I have no idea why you would do such a thing.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Is the stat screen still broken? Cause i took like five tears up pills and it still shows as tears 1.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

W8KR GGSV
Reroll the Kamikaze, go to the left for tinted rock and Proptosis. Next tinted rock contains Small Rock. Open all the chests, you should have enough bombs. Reroll Little Steven for Meat, devil has Death's Touch, The Mark and Ceremonial Robes. Super secret room is on far right and it has Cancer. There's 1up in the secret room but that's probably overkill. Have fun! :gibs:

omeg fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 27, 2014

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

CSM posted:

Is the stat screen still broken? Cause i took like five tears up pills and it still shows as tears 1.

I don't think it's broken so much as some of the stats require a significant boost or decrease per bar. I could be wrong though.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Jibo posted:

I don't think it's broken so much as some of the stats require a significant boost or decrease per bar. I could be wrong though.

It's more that some items seem to actually increase the stat, which increases the bar if enough pile up, while others give a percentage boost to a stat, which is not indicated with more or less bars.
But I'm not sure which items give what type of stat increase.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The actual meaning of the stat screen for each of the seven bars is

Speed 0.10 - 0.99 1.00 - 1.49 1.50 - 1.99 2.00 (Max) N/A N/A N/A
Tear Delay >8 7 - 6 5 - 4 N/A 3 N/A 2 - 1
Shot Speed 0.60 - 0.99 1.00 - 1.49 1.50 - 1.99 2.00 - 2.49 2.50 - 2.99 3.00 - 3.49 3.50+
Damage 0.00 - 2.99 3.00 - 4.49 4.50 - 5.99 6.00 - 7.49 7.50 - 8.99 9.00 - 10.49 10.50+
Luck <=1 2 3 4 5 6 >=7

Tears up pills gives +0.35 Tears stat.

If Tears > 0, then TearDelay = 16 - 6 * sqrt(Tears* 1.3 + 1) rounded down
If Tears > -0.77 and < 0, then Tears = 16 - 6 * sqrt(Tears* 1.3 + 1) - Tears* 6
If Tears < -0.7, then TearDelay = 16 - Tears*6

TearDelay cannot go below 5 without certain items, like Soy Milk.

In summary, the stat screen lies like hell, and I have no idea how to put a table into a post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

golden bubble posted:

In summary, the stat screen lies like hell, and I have no idea how to put a table into a post.

Fixed for you

code:
Speed	        0.10 - 0.99	1.00 - 1.49	1.50 - 1.99	2.00 (Max)	N/A		N/A		N/A
Tear Delay	>8		7 - 6		5 - 4		N/A		3		N/A		2 - 1
Shot Speed	0.60 - 0.99	1.00 - 1.49	1.50 - 1.99	2.00 - 2.49	2.50 - 2.99	3.00 - 3.49	3.50+
Damage		0.00 - 2.99	3.00 - 4.49	4.50 - 5.99	6.00 - 7.49	7.50 - 8.99	9.00 - 10.49	10.50+
Luck		<=1		2		3		4		5		6		>=7