Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I think that's an example of a good art style covering for a plain design. I think stars aren't a good fit for her since it makes her seem American inspired.

Still, better than what we usually get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, Justice Riders meets Blackhawks? I like the cut of your jib.

Dieselpunk-type world, using the backdrop of WWII right before Pearl Harbor for the right feel of going up against an implacable and more numerous enemy, high adventure and derring-do, with the JLA analogues? Give it to the right Writing/Art team and it could be as classic as Red Son. Well, I'm sold on the concept anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I think that's an example of a good art style covering for a plain design. I think stars aren't a good fit for her since it makes her seem American inspired.

She's always had that poo poo going on for some reason.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Well, I know the old reason was that in the comics, it was supposed to be tradition for the Themescyran ambassador to wear the traditional colors of the country she was going to. At least, that's the explanation I heard.
And hey, that's as good an excuse as any to post the Red Son versions of Superman and Wonder Woman.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Of course, the real reason was because it was WWII and patriotism was all the rage.

I believe they later explained it as a female American ferry pilot crash-landed on Thermyscira suring WWII, stumbled into a fight between some of the Amazons and a cosmic evil that was kicking their asses, and managed to sacrifice her life to keep the creature distracted enough to be sealed away again. The Amazons were all 'holy crap this woman is awesome' so they buried her with full honours and when they were designing the costume for their ambassador, they took cues from the US flag patch on her jacket, and the double-W logo she made her up for herself (also on her jacket) that I believe led to the name Wonder Woman. her name? Diana Rockwell Trevor. Yep, not only did she give Wondy her name, she also was Steve Trevor's mother.

I realise this makes the whole story sound awful, but it's really not.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Wonder Woman, drawn with a bare butt and a chestplate that looks like it's made for Power Girl.

I'm more intrigued as to why WW is shoving what appears to be a young girl face first through a glass door of some sort.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, it looks like an awesome panel of Diana just beating the poo poo out of some housewife or something.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's obviously John Byrne art, which more than explains the misogyny.

Sherlock Hyde
Jul 22, 2007
I've always been a fan of costumes that are more practical than they are stylish, so I kinda really love Jack Knight's outfit and Sandman design from Sandman Mystery Theatre. Although that one I probably like more because it reminds me of the Shadow than anything, and I love the Shadow. That's also probably why I love Darkwing Duck's outfit so much.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sherlock Hyde posted:

I've always been a fan of costumes that are more practical than they are stylish, so I kinda really love Jack Knight's outfit and Sandman design from Sandman Mystery Theatre. Although that one I probably like more because it reminds me of the Shadow than anything, and I love the Shadow. That's also probably why I love Darkwing Duck's outfit so much.

I've always loved the "mystery men" costumes like the Golden Age Sandman (particularly the Mystery Theatre version over the green suit/purple cape Golden Age version), the Shadow, the Green Hornet, the Question, Crimson Avenger, and the Gray Ghost from Batman: The Animated Series. Years ago, Guy Davis did a really surreal sci-fi comic called Nevermen, about identical crimefighters who wore matching black suits, trench coats, fedoras, and goggles. It didn't make a lick of sense, but I always loved the character designs, despite their relative simplicity.

More retro costumes I love: Reuben Flagg and the Plexus Rangers from Chaykin's American Flagg! (what I use to show people that Chaykin was once one of the best artists around), Dave Stevens' Rocketeer (I'm eagerly awaiting the 6" action figure in 2015), Francavilla's Black Beetle, and Matt Wagner's simple, dramatic look for Hunter Rose, the first Grendel.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 27, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think I've ever liked a Wonder Woman costume.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sherlock Hyde posted:

As someone who attempted to go trick or treating as Darkwing duck once, let met tell you, there's nothing practical about that hat.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Lurdiak posted:

As someone who attempted to go trick or treating as Darkwing duck once, let met tell you, there's nothing practical about that hat.

You don't have a duckbill that needs to be partially hidden.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

muscles like this? posted:

I kind of liked the JMS one, and I had to choose one to replace the classic costume (which is nice and iconic, but yeah...maybe not the best for modern audiences), than I'd go with that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Really? I figure once you get past the mental block of walking around pantsless it's a cinch.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've always loved the "mystery men" costumes like the Golden Age Sandman (particularly the Mystery Theatre version over the green suit/purple cape Golden Age version), the Shadow, the Green Hornet, the Question, Crimson Avenger, and the Gray Ghost from Batman: The Animated Series. Years ago, Guy Davis did a really surreal sci-fi comic called Nevermen, about identical crimefighters who wore matching black suits, trench coats, fedoras, and goggles. It didn't make a lick of sense, but I always loved the character designs, despite their relative simplicity.

I'll have to look into Nevermen, it sounds cool. I'm a big fan of blank masks like The Question and Doctor Fate.

I like Earth 2's Fate costume

Marvel's new Moon Knight series has some great costumes as well

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 27, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm more intrigued as to why WW is shoving what appears to be a young girl face first through a glass door of some sort.

Revenge for the nasty wedgie she gave Wonder Woman.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

I've always been a fan of her all-white jumpsuit look from the late 60s/early 70s.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the Kingdom Come outfit was great.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I never noticed before, but her skirt situation is weird. And her thigh/hip situation.

I liked her eagle war armor at the end, though. And speaking of Kingdom Come costumes, I wish more Lanterns looked like this.

It's practical, makes Alan Scott look older and more vulnerable inside, while also making him look way more badass. It's not the form fitting outfit of a young agile hero, it's the blocky solid armor of an experienced and powerful old man.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 30, 2014

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Kingdom Come had quite a few great outfits.
I don't think Blue Beetle's awesome armor ever had more than a cameo appearance, though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

I don't think Blue Beetle's awesome armor ever had more than a cameo appearance, though.

I thought Iris West's and Jade's costumes were pretty good looks from the younger heroes, too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

I think he was in the big fight scene and also dead after the explosion.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
who is that yellow batfaced dude above Jade?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Anora posted:

who is that yellow batfaced dude above Jade?

It's supposed to be a version of Batwoman.

And Jade was like Power Girl, with a slightly lower "window:"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Linda Hamilton is a pretty good cosplayer!

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

NotAnArtist posted:

Wonder Woman's costume always bugged me, without going down the rabbit hole of ''people should wear whatever they want free from persecution or judgment,'' and of course the fact that she's a fictional character.

I like this redesign

I have to say, I really don't understand why people seem to be so hellbent on redesigning Wonder Woman and giving her a sword or a spear or an axe or whatever. But I also don't understand or like the modern affectation (from the New 52 and Man of Steel, at least) of making Superman's costume into body armor. I think that in both cases it sort of diminishes the character and takes away a little about what makes them special. Also, Xena: Warrior Princess was literally 20 years ago at this point; I think we can kind of shake off a little bit of that characterization from Wonder Woman at this point.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Amazons use weapons and armor so it fits just fine, Stars and Stripes aside. I agree about Superman, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NorgLyle posted:

I have to say, I really don't understand why people seem to be so hellbent on redesigning Wonder Woman and giving her a sword or a spear or an axe or whatever. But I also don't understand or like the modern affectation (from the New 52 and Man of Steel, at least) of making Superman's costume into body armor. I think that in both cases it sort of diminishes the character and takes away a little about what makes them special. Also, Xena: Warrior Princess was literally 20 years ago at this point; I think we can kind of shake off a little bit of that characterization from Wonder Woman at this point.

Giving Wonder Woman weapons is a way to help define her in a way that makes sense for the character. Most versions of Wonder Woman embrace the mythological aspects because of this and that comes with weapons. It's a pretty logical way to take the characters.

Super-Armor is pretty nonsensical, yes.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I think giving her weapons is bad design because she has to constantly lose them/forget she has them so as to not murder her recurring villains or jobbers. I know that comic characters forget powers and tools all the time but having a constant reminder of a weapon in the art makes it more obvious.

Wonder Woman showing up with weapons is also the character's "This ends now" schtick and you'd lose that with them constantly around.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Wonder Woman showing up with weapons is also the character's "This ends now" schtick and you'd lose that with them constantly around.

I will never understand why DC writers feel something like that is necessary at all. "This ends now" is a dumb writing crutch.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
The shield seems unnecessary at best. Isn't that the whole point of her bracers, indestructible (except when suddenly not), and better than a shield?

Or are they just trying to rub Captain America's face in it?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Action Jacktion posted:

It's supposed to be a version of Batwoman.

New God Batwoman with a giant, winged Ace the Bat Hound.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Jade's underboob must be her superpower, distraction!

Also, at the risk of unleashing my inner sperg, I wanted to say that I like the redesign of Wonder Woman's costume not for the axe and shield but for the more practical lower half.

I mean, fighting in a bikini bottom or thong always struck me as ridiculous. Aerodynamic maybe, but still silly.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

SirDan3k posted:

I think giving her weapons is bad design because she has to constantly lose them/forget she has them so as to not murder her recurring villains or jobbers. I know that comic characters forget powers and tools all the time but having a constant reminder of a weapon in the art makes it more obvious.

NorgLyle posted:

I have to say, I really don't understand why people seem to be so hellbent on redesigning Wonder Woman and giving her a sword or a spear or an axe or whatever.

You can always go with the idea that they're ceremonial and are part of the uniform of her role as the representative of her people to the world showing that she protects with a shield and wields the sword of justice or whatever. Also if she's holding some weapons it makes her look more legit as a warrior type person over being the lady in the swimsuit. Stuff that looks good in photos but stays at home in the cabinet when she's actually beating people up because 90% of them are immune to swords anyway.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

NotAnArtist posted:

Jade's underboob must be her superpower, distraction!

Also, at the risk of unleashing my inner sperg, I wanted to say that I like the redesign of Wonder Woman's costume not for the axe and shield but for the more practical lower half.

I mean, fighting in a bikini bottom or thong always struck me as ridiculous. Aerodynamic maybe, but still silly.

Going down this rabbit hole ends up with everyone in gis or sweatpants and tank tops. Or worse, "tactical" black leather and trenchcoats, the scientifically proven most realistic combat uniform ever :jerkbag:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wonder Woman's Kingdom Come armor.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Say Nothing posted:

She looks like a Saint Seiya character

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Say Nothing posted:

Wow that looks like crap once you see a 3d representation. It's a showgirl costume for a Toby Keith Vegas show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've always called that her "Screamin' Chicken Armor."

• Locked thread