Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
goddammit

do you guys like videogames or not

every system is cool* and we live in a miracle age of entertainment

there should be a Tomba 3 on Wii U.

Back to Wii U chat, the Yoshi amiibo I just got is neat. Nintendo needs to release some $5 minigames that incorporate them in a non-generic way to tide people over until more substantial implementation happens in full games, if ever.

*I've not played a Saturn or an XB1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

ascii genitals posted:

Gitaroo man 2 on Wii U please. This game was amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YbRclMWFcE

Hell yes!

Ultigonio posted:

the Dualshock stick placement is still probably my least favorite thing ever,

Agreed.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Electromax posted:

*I've not played a Saturn or an XB1

Panzer Dragoon, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter, Nights into Dreams, Virtual-On, Shinobi Legions, Virtua Cop, Fighters Megamix, Die Hard Arcade, Dragon Force, lotta good games on the Saturn

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

Panzer Dragoon, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter, Nights into Dreams, Virtual-On, Shinobi Legions, Virtua Cop, Fighters Megamix, Die Hard Arcade, Dragon Force, lotta good games on the Saturn

Yeah the Saturn was good. The issue was Sega themselves. The Shenmue demo on the Saturn is amazing for what that console was capable of.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i wish fulchrum was still here to tell us of the gaming ambrosia on the ps2

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Because I don't play a game where the only challenge is to deal with the single digit frame rate since the early 90s.

The Colonel posted:

e: i've played SotC a ton of times and have literally never experienced framerate issues

The original release did dip in frame rate quite frequently but it didn't make it impossible to play, definitely never low enough to where the game became unplayable.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Electromax posted:

*I've not played a Saturn

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Mercury Crusader posted:

I think you just named ALL the games on the Saturn.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

At this point SotC is more of a PS3 game since it was the first time it wasn't a slide show. Keep in mind I mainly play PC games and Nintendo consoles so I'm used to high quality 60+FPS. I guess if you have lower standards you might have been able to deal with the headache inducing 8 FPS of the PS2 version.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Mercury Crusader posted:

You forgot Astal. Everyone always forgets Astal.

Now let's see you do the Virtual Boy. :allears:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Astal loving owns. That game is STILL gorgeous!

Also the virtualboy is easy: every game minus water world. That's over 10 games.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 27, 2014

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Challenge level: 32X

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

oddium posted:

Challenge level: 32X

Knuckles Chaotix, NBA Jam, and uh hmmshmmhmm, sure were a lotta good games on the 32x

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Knuckles Chaotix, NBA Jam, and uh hmmshmmhmm, sure were a lotta good games on the 32x

After burner, doom, knuckles chaotix, kolibri, MK II, NBA jam, night trap, shadow squadron, space harrier, Star Wars arcade, t-mek, virtua fighter, virtua racing 32x

The only truly difficult consoles are the jaguar, Linx, PS2, and random no name consoles.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

At this point SotC is more of a PS3 game since it was the first time it wasn't a slide show. Keep in mind I mainly play PC games and Nintendo consoles so I'm used to high quality 60+FPS. I guess if you have lower standards you might have been able to deal with the headache inducing 8 FPS of the PS2 version.

I think at worst it'll get slightly under 20fps so it's not bad, I'm also a PC gamer but I could still deal with it. And lol at "Nintendo consoles" and "60+FPS," hardly anything until the Wii U ran at 60fps on Nintendo consoles when it came to 3D.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Electromax posted:

there should be a Tomba 3 on Wii U.

This, and it would also be great to have a new Spyro, but based on what made Spyro 2 and 3 good and none of the edgy crap that came after, and not Skylanders. This will never happen, sadly.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Sire Oblivion posted:

hardly anything until the Wii U ran at 60fps on Nintendo consoles when it came to 3D.
Not that many Wii U games run at or near 60 FPS consistently. It's really not much different now than it was then.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I can't believe that people were naming the best PS2 exclusives and didn't mention Klonoa 2.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

After burner, doom, knuckles chaotix, kolibri, MK II, NBA jam, night trap, shadow squadron, space harrier, Star Wars arcade, t-mek, virtua fighter, virtua racing 32x

The only truly difficult consoles are the jaguar, Linx, PS2, and random no name consoles.

Jaguar had Tempest 2000, a decent Doom conversion, Alien VS Predator and Attack of the Mutant Penguins. I think it also had Dragon's Lair and Space Ace.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The only claim made against the PS2 so far that carries any weight is their failure rate. I think I went through three PS2s. However, I got thousands of hours of game time out of them with the Beatmania IIDX and Pop'n Music games (something like 10 releases each.) That, and dozens of other great games. Gran Turismo, God of War, FFX, Metal Gear Solid 3 (just 3,) the various Shin Megami Tensei titles, Guilty Gear, Initial D, Street Fighter, SOCOM, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus...

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

majormonotone posted:

I can't believe that people were naming the best PS2 exclusives and didn't mention Klonoa 2.

So we're at 9.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

majormonotone posted:

Oh man, I am absolutely ashamed that I forgot Klonoa 2.

I need more Klonoa, Namco. Where's more Klonoa??

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Sire Oblivion posted:

I think at worst it'll get slightly under 20fps so it's not bad, I'm also a PC gamer but I could still deal with it. And lol at "Nintendo consoles" and "60+FPS," hardly anything until the Wii U ran at 60fps on Nintendo consoles when it came to 3D.

Mario games actually have a pretty good track record of running at 60 FPS, lots of Wii and GC first/second party games are 60. The N64 was the biggest outlier because barely anything ran at sensible framerates there. Zelda OoT runs at 20!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jack and Daxyer Precursor Legacy and Sly 3 are two solid platformers.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Mario games actually have a pretty good track record of running at 60 FPS, lots of Wii and GC first/second party games are 60. The N64 was the biggest outlier because barely anything ran at sensible framerates there. Zelda OoT runs at 20!

SMG was the first 3D Mario game to run at 60 FPS, if I'm not mistaken. I believe it was mostly a given for SNES games to run at 60, though?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

That's a feature! It lets Cosmo do frame perfect glitch inputs for speed run marathons. Hiroshi Yamauchi said as much in an interview that he foresaw speed running and needed to limit the frame rate.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

enojy posted:

The only claim made against the PS2 so far that carries any weight is their failure rate. I think I went through three PS2s. However, I got thousands of hours of game time out of them with the Beatmania IIDX and Pop'n Music games (something like 10 releases each.) That, and dozens of other great games. Gran Turismo, God of War, FFX, Metal Gear Solid 3 (just 3,) the various Shin Megami Tensei titles, Guilty Gear, Initial D, Street Fighter, SOCOM, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus...

I have literally never heard of ps2s failing until this very post. My brother put his through unimaginable levels of torture, too.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

So we're at 9.

Did you include Chulip ?? I really liked it

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

My PS2 still works and it's like 13 years old. My only systems that have broken are my PS3, 3DS (still works but only when the screen is angled a certain way.) and 360 (Eject button only works 1 time out of 10)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

raditts posted:

I have literally never heard of ps2s failing until this very post. My brother put his through unimaginable levels of torture, too.

It was no where near the levels of the RROD but PS2 failure rate was definitely talked about a lot. I went through two of them myself, the laser just up and died on me. And I know at least two other people who had similar experiences with the system.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Junpei Hyde posted:

Incorrect. They are merely competent. This was the start of Naughty Dog's spiral to releasing garbage.

oddium posted:

Did you include Chulip ?? I really liked it

I bought it new at $30 and it was really bad.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

raditts posted:

Consider yourself fortunate. I had a fat one from 2001 and the disc drive started dying like around 2006 or so and no matter how many weird fixes my friend and I tried, eventually the thing just stopped working altogether. RIP Fat PS2, may your younger brother super-slim PS2 never meet the same fate as you.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Incorrect. They are merely competent. This was the start of Naughty Dog's spiral to releasing garbage.

I bought it new at $30 and it was really bad.

I'm sorry to hear that. Godspeed.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Junpei Hyde posted:

The first three Ratchet & Clank games are basically the best platformers in existence that aren't made by Nintendo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Devil May Cry 3 is a non-Platinum or Clover action game that is actually very good and I am disappointed by the lack of both it and God Hand on your list. (the dmc3 pc port doesn't count because it is unplayable garbage ok)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Ultigonio posted:

SMG was the first 3D Mario game to run at 60 FPS, if I'm not mistaken. I believe it was mostly a given for SNES games to run at 60, though?

If we're just talking main Mario 3D platformers, sure. But including spinoffs:

60:
- Mario Galaxy 1/2
- Mario Kart Double Dash
- Mario Kart Wii
- Paper Mario TTYD
- Super Paper Mario
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii

30:
- Mario Sunshine
- Luigi's Mansion

Couldn't check Mario Golf/Tennis but from what I remember at least Tennis is 60 too.

And yeah, most NES and SNES stuff runs at 60, though will suffer slowdown with lots of sprites on screen.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Mercury Crusader posted:

You forgot Astal. Everyone always forgets Astal.

Now let's see you do the Virtual Boy. :allears:

Commissar Ken posted:

I think you just named ALL the games on the Saturn.

All of you forgot the only reason to own the Saturn Multi-tap: Guardian Heroes.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

That fat PS2s were basically made of wet cardboard boxes. The slim ones were ok but you couldn't add an Ethernet port so why bother.

oddium posted:

I'm sorry to hear that. Godspeed.

Thanks. I bought it day one at GameStop and was really disappointed. But that's the story of the PS2: constantly disappointing.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The first three Ratchet & Clank games are basically the best platformers in existence that aren't made by Nintendo.

They felt like you were running on butter. They're awful games.

The Colonel posted:

Devil May Cry 3 is a non-Platinum or Clover action game that is actually very good and I am disappointed by the lack of both it and God Hand on your list. (the dmc3 pc port doesn't count because it is unplayable garbage ok)

Oh forgot about God hand. Welp you all convinced me. Have to admit when I made a mistake. PS2 did have 10 games worth owning. Great job everyone. That was a great team effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey guys, remember the Wii U?

• Locked thread