Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I think I want to finally pick a side in the civil war. Probably the Stormcloaks since this guy is a Nord. What are some good mods to spice up the civil war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The only real one is Civil War Overhaul which is made by apollodown who, to put it lightly, is pretty loving weird.

Also it's buggy as poo poo considering he tried to recreate content that Bethesda initially cut out of the final version of the game.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Really just best to pretend that the civil war isn't a thing, it's absolutely awful and boring and isn't worth your time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've never actually done the civil war on any character past getting the jagged crown yet, it just seems so pointless and potentially locks you out of areas by making half the people hostile.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Canemacar posted:

Automatic Variants might be worth looking into. As far as I know, it's compatible with absolutely everything, and can allow for different meshes to be loaded in place of creatures/enemies, so that it's more than just reskinning.

I am using AV already, it is very good.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
This is weird. My Skyrim keeps minimizing the game screen to my desktop. I can Alt-Tab back to the game. But it does this every other minute or so. I thought it was my mods, which aren't that many, but I just installed Black Flag and that is doing the exact same thing. I checked my drivers and they are all up to date.

Edit: It's telling me Sky UI isn't working.
Edit 2: New Vegas crashes too. Okay. Looking into drivers and such some more.

oneof27 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 26, 2014

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Scyantific posted:

The only real one is Civil War Overhaul which is made by apollodown who, to put it lightly, is pretty loving weird.

Also it's buggy as poo poo considering he tried to recreate content that Bethesda initially cut out of the final version of the game.

Apparently the Warzones: Civil Unrest mod has been overhauled to not be a buggy unstable save-destroying sack of poo poo, but afaik its major function is adding a bunch of random battles all over the map.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is there a mod that lets me use actual hotkeys to just swap equipment sets instead of having to go into this whole submenu thing?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there a mod that lets me use actual hotkeys to just swap equipment sets instead of having to go into this whole submenu thing?

More Hotkeys Please in the OP is what you're looking for.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Scyantific posted:

More Hotkeys Please in the OP is what you're looking for.

Thanks. I didn't realize that it added actual hotkeys.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So I've decided to give Skyrim another play. I tried doing so awhile back but kind of overloaded myself on mods and got burnt out.

One big issue I was having was trying to get ASIS to run, and apparently I'm running into the same issue. This is a fresh install of Skyrim and MO, I've also gone and made sure that Java is up to date and that SKSE is working properly.

My load order at current looks like this

I have installed ASIS through MO and I'm trying to follow the readme, but I don't have a "Skyproc Patchers" folder under Skyrim/Data

So I've tried running ASIS.jar within MO itself, and from the Mod Organizer folder on my desktop, but each time I get this

and nothing changes.

I feel like I'm missing something incredibly simple here, but I have no idea what. This is the first Skyproc I've tried running, and had no success.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I think all the ASIS files all need to be in your root Skyrim folder as opposed to inside Mod Organizer's folders. Instead of installing the mod using Mod Organizer like you seem to have done, you need to manually unzip the contents of the ASIS .zip into your Data folder (including the Skyproc Patchers folder, which should be included in the .zip), add ASIS.jar to your MO executables and run it that way.

Phetz fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 27, 2014

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So should I have Skyrim/Data/ASIS and patch from there?

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
Almost--It'd be Skyrim/Data/Skyproc Patchers (or something to that effect)/ASIS, and then you'd want to add the .jar to MO's executables and run it through MO. If you run it from the folder itself then it won't recognize the mods you installed through MO.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So I've done this and it spat the same error at me. But this time I have red text at the bottom of my Load order that says "Overwrite" that when clicked on points to the folder ASIS.jar is in. Should MO be giving me checkboxes to click, or does this mean that the patcher has run properly?

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
Well if the patcher had run properly I'm guessing it probably wouldn't have given you an error, but maybe test it out in-game and see if the mod shows up in the mod configuration menu or if you get increased spawns/NPC potions etc.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Click the Data tab on the right hand side of MO. That will list the files that will be loaded by MO. Under the Data tab find ASIS.jar, right click it and either open/execute or add as a program and run it from the dropdown list like you do SKSE.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
I got it figured out. Ended up cranking spawns up to 9, just to see if it was working. Wondered into a camp of about 18 bandits.

Thanks!

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
If I wanted to dick around with already made meshes what's the best program out there for importing/exporting .nif files? I'm currently using Blender with .nif addon but it's buggy as all hell and never actually lets me export a .nif file.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I have nothing but respect for the people who mange to get something working. Nifscope/The Old Version Of Blender That You Have To Use is the biggest pain in the rear end to work with.

As for other tools? I think a bunch of people just :filez: 3DS max.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I just found out about SPERG and it's prompted me to start a new game with a whole bunch of new mods - hopefully I don't gently caress it up.

oneof27 posted:

This is weird. My Skyrim keeps minimizing the game screen to my desktop. I can Alt-Tab back to the game. But it does this every other minute or so. I thought it was my mods, which aren't that many, but I just installed Black Flag and that is doing the exact same thing. I checked my drivers and they are all up to date.

Edit: It's telling me Sky UI isn't working.
Edit 2: New Vegas crashes too. Okay. Looking into drivers and such some more.

This is usually a background process that's interrupting your active window, often it's your antivirus. Try the following:

1. Ensure your AV is up to date.
2. If that doesn't work, uninstall and perform a fresh install of your AV.
3. If that fails, try a different AV.

You could also try disabling any other unnecessary background processes one by one to rule them out.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Thanks. This has been maddening.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
This is frustrating.

Now and then quest related NPC will act hostile to me, soon as I entered the blue palace the servants wanted me out and if I hung around they would attack me.

I don't even know what mod could be causing it in a long long list, so far has only seemed to of effected female NPC related to vanilla quests after their step is done.
Could it be a vanilla bug? better quest objectives? I've tried some console commands, setav aggression 0 and markdelete disable enable but they stay hostile.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Are there any good mods that just get rid of mining and put more ore or ingots on merchants instead? I really don't like mining, it feels really tacked on.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Faster Mining by Ebald makes it so you'll get everything from a vein in three strikes if you activate or one strike if you just hit it with the pick. You do know you can mine by hitting the rock with the pick like a weapon right?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's also one called something like Miners Sell Ore that makes all the mine owners or foremen or somebody merchants who sell ingots (on my phone or I'd see what it actually is).

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Is it this one? Mine foremen sell ore

Lurker Above
Jun 17, 2014
I've been using Magically mine. There are a few other mods that do the same thing, but this one has an updated version that works on stalhrim.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Is there a mod that removes the third person view switch when doing a finisher?

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

MaliciousOnion posted:

Is there a mod that removes the third person view switch when doing a finisher?

I believe Violens allows you to control the perspective, along with a ton of other options for the killmoves.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yep that's the one I have. As a side note I'm also using one that makes farmers sell the stuff they grow, just kinda makes sense if these guys are working they should be able to sell their stuff (and I am far too lazy to pick that poo poo).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Total newbie question with regards to mod-making:

Through trial and error, I made an extremely quick-and-dirty mod that put an empty chest in Dragonsreach for safe storage, since a) not sure when I'll get around to getting a house on this guy and b) I'm super paranoid about putting my stuff into a Safe Chest and having it go away.

It works fine, but I've noticed that a few tiny things (a garnet and a mammoth tusk) appear as red/stolen items inside the chest. When I take them out my Stolen Items count doesn't go up and they don't appear as red/stolen in my inventory. Did I not set something properly in the Construction set?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Phetz posted:

I believe Violens allows you to control the perspective, along with a ton of other options for the killmoves.

I can highly recommend this mod, i'm a big fan of only having first-person kill moves

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So, does anyone know of a good tutorial for editing NPCs? I downloaded a mod to give certain NPCs a more individual look, but I was wanting to customize further. Adding warpaints, maybe changing hairstyles, that sort of thing. I assume the Creation Kit is involved?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
This weather overhaul is looking pretty sweet, combines so many of the most popular weather mods into one single file.

Gonna give it a shot.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Canemacar posted:

So, does anyone know of a good tutorial for editing NPCs? I downloaded a mod to give certain NPCs a more individual look, but I was wanting to customize further. Adding warpaints, maybe changing hairstyles, that sort of thing. I assume the Creation Kit is involved?

Yes.

quote:

It works fine, but I've noticed that a few tiny things (a garnet and a mammoth tusk) appear as red/stolen items inside the chest. When I take them out my Stolen Items count doesn't go up and they don't appear as red/stolen in my inventory. Did I not set something properly in the Construction set?
Did you set the container as owned by you? Select the container in the cell view window in Dragonsreach, right click on it and choose edit. There should be a tab for Ownership. Set it to "Player."

Something Witty
Jan 24, 2009
Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

On another note, Fire and Ice now has the option to turn off those dumb ice spikes so I'm enjoying watching fire quickly spread over a wooden fort or forest.

I started using that mod again for this exact reason, but can anybody with proper modding experience confirm that this isn't going to screw my save in the long term? Apollodown is an obtuse clusterfuck. Does that amount of fire spawns and their material interactions cause bloat or leave orphan scripts or anything?

Holy hell is it fun though, it opens up so much emergent behavior. And there's nothing like torching a whole farm then riding off into the blazing night.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I think I tracked down the background process that was minimizing all of my Steam games. It was my bluetooth searching for a device.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Gyshall posted:

This weather overhaul is looking pretty sweet, combines so many of the most popular weather mods into one single file.

Gonna give it a shot.

How does it do for compatibility? Specifically Frostfall and BreezehomeFullyUpgradable? I know Frostfall can get tempermental about weather mods and BFU has issues with some lighting mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I've somehow managed to never play a magic user in hundreds of hours spent across Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.

The latest Brodual video has inspired me to finally give it a try, so I'm looking for mods to enhance a spellcaster (Destruction/Alteration, mostly).

I'm using STEP + Skyrim Revisited - Legendary Edition as my base and hovering right around the 254 mod limit. As far as magic-relevant mods I have:
  • Alternate Start (used this to begin my character as a novice in the College of Winterhold)
  • SPERG
  • Deadly Spell Impacts
  • Burn Freeze Shock Effects
  • Immersive Spells and Light
  • Immersive College of Winterhold
  • Smart Cast
  • Wintermyst
  • Forgotten Magic Redone
  • Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim
Is there anything major I'm missing for playing as a spellcaster? I'm a few hours into this character and so far it seems good, I've already encountered a wide variety of available spells and I'm finding that playing as a caster is actually pretty fun.

• Locked thread