Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Thanks, that explains some of it, but I still don't understand Buzzo's motivations. If you ask him why he's doing this when he takes your other arm/all your items he calls you a murderer, and says that "You killed her". Who exactly is that referring to? The joyless bonus scene doesn't seem to explain this.

We aren't given specifics but... Dr. Yado seems to have some kind of interest in or connection to Brad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Anatharon posted:

That's what I gathered. The kid looked pretty messed up, as did Rando. He also calls him "Master Armstrong" and uses Brad's techniques, as well as crying the first time he encountered Brad. Lastly he held a selfless attitude as the younger Brad seemed to before he was completely broken.

There's a very missable delusion, I know I missed it my first time: http://i.imgur.com/4NqfhQW.png

Between Buddy's emotional issues and Rando's physical abuse, Brad basically became Morty and then took it a step further. The way to get the good ending is to just not play, just don't let Brad near kids, ever.

As for Buzzo, he's probably referring to Lisa, I assume Brad did something to trigger her into killing herself because dealing with Morty and Morty Jr is basically asking for death. People have made guesses he was one of the kids at the karate lesson, maybe one of Lisa's friends who watched her emotionally waste away. Maybe we'll find out in some DLC.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I don't think it's really fair to compare Brad to Marty, because Brad didn't rape Buddy.

(Lisa the First and LISA spoilers) So from what we know in The First, Lisa's mother died sometime early on. Marty was supposedly a good father before that, but once that happened everything went to poo poo. Marty started raping Lisa, causing the events of The First as she's wandering her own mind. Sometime between LISA and The First, Lisa ends up killing herself (likely by hanging as indicated by the opening), also indicated by the final ending of The First being a game over.

The rest of this is my inference, but I think Brad chose to leave the family early on instead of dealing with Marty's abuse. Martial arts was his way of trying to regain his own sense of control. Eventually he finds out about Lisa's death/abuse by Marty and is tormented over the fact that he wasn't able to save her from Marty. That leads to his drug abuse and lashing out at his pupils. It's also why he's so obsessed about saving Buddy because he equates the entire rest of the world with Marty, and he's the only one who recognizes this.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Resort Island: There is a hidden room with some treasure, you unlock it by activating four hidden switches. I don't remember if there was any visual indicator for them, but there is a sound when you press space on the right tile.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

InnercityGriot posted:

That guy is Sticky's Dad, if you walk left you can see him at the very intro of the game after you get your rear end beat. You see him again when he says he's looking for Tony, and then Brad later calls Sticky Tony during the showdown between Brad, Rick, and Sticky.

No, Rando is the stuttering student. Sticky's dad is the creepy dude with the wolverine claws who scrapes up Buddy's face.

Broken Cog posted:

Is there anything at all at the resort island? I got to the top, and all there was was a tv with Marty's head sticking out of.

The head is just there for show, but there are four invisible switches in the various rooms. The locations are given on a guide in the steam forums, but you can also find them just by checking every tile in the rooms. This unlocks a secret passage in the Marty head room.

quote:

I found a locked door at the end of the creep village, is there any way to open it?

Nope. Someone on the steam forums said they looked at the scripts and poo poo and found nothing was actually attached to it. We'll probably see what's beyond it in the Buddy sidestory Dingaling's eventually doing. My guess is that maybe the remaining women are locked up there. I figure there are just because of Buzzo's line about Buddy "being an asset with the women" or something like that.

quote:

How do you recruit the ghoul guy in the swamp? I see there's an achievement for him.

Do you mean the guy with the weird helmet? In the second hub area there's a small cave where you can find an old record. Play it on the gramophone there. You can also take him back to where you got the record for a short scene, tho it removes him from your party.

quote:

Edit: Oh yeah, and Who the hell was Buzzo? At first I thought he was some manifestation of Brad's Joy addiction, but then he and his men began fighting the Rando army and manifestations usually don't do that. He seemed to be really mad at Brad for some reason. Does it have to do with the baby in the room next to yours in the beginning?

The Joyless ending sheds a bit more light on this but

Buzzo was one of the scientists working on the Joy project. After the military cancelled the research he and Dr. Yado continued it; Yado to make his own world, and Buzzo for reasons not explicitly given. He seems to hate Brad for doing something to "her" but we have no idea who she is, or whether or not this was before of after the apocalypse. I doubt it's Buddy since he's willing to harm her which seems odd if he wanted to get revenge for her.

Another fun little thing, that you won't realize unless you pay super close attention to the sprites. We actually see Dr. Yado in the game. Potentially a couple of times. If you go to the top of the screen a bit to the left of the first hub area, you see a strange man with a polka dot shawl trumpeting (which is what provides the music for that area). Dr. Clemont's notes in the experiment village curse Yado for his terrible fashion sense, for liking polka dots. In the flashback at the start of the game, if you go all the way to the right, you see a guy with a very similar sprite to the trumpeter, with a barely visible polka dot undershirt, commenting about Olathe. The mutant researchers on the Resort Island seem to be worshiping a trumpet statue. And lastly, you can see the trumpeter watching Brad slaughter Rando's army; after killing Rando, go all the way to the left and he'll be standing on a ledge, and if you go close enough you unlock the "..." achievement.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

MrBims posted:

Resort Island: There is a hidden room with some treasure, you unlock it by activating four hidden switches. I don't remember if there was any visual indicator for them, but there is a sound when you press space on the right tile.

The indicator for the proper locations is also audio, while walking in the hotel rooms you normally make a splashing sound but there are single tiles where you make a knocking sound instead.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Spoilers

Nah, that guy wasn't asking about the stuttering student, he wanted to know who the guy with the Wolverine claws at the end was. Sticky's dad

As for why Buzzo is so pissed at Brad, much of the speculation is that he was a childhood friend of Lisa.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think Lisa and Lisa the First don't follow the same story. Primarily that in Lisa the First, Lisa was raised by Marty and he's the subject of all her trauma, but in Lisa I don't think she even remembers her father. During the opening and that one delusion in the first town area, Marty is giving Brad a baby. Whenever Ghost Lisa talks she's always only blaming Brad. I'm assuming Marty just walked out one day and Brad was forced to raise his baby sister so it's entirely on him for her death, that's why he keeps referring to Buddy as his second chance.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Devour or Fire posted:

I think Lisa and Lisa the First don't follow the same story. Primarily that in Lisa the First, Lisa was raised by Marty and he's the subject of all her trauma, but in Lisa I don't think she even remembers her father. During the opening and that one delusion in the first town area, Marty is giving Brad a baby. Whenever Ghost Lisa talks she's always only blaming Brad. I'm assuming Marty just walked out one day and Brad was forced to raise his baby sister so it's entirely on him for her death, that's why he keeps referring to Buddy as his second chance.

The Lisa's we see scattered about aren't ghosts, they're PTSD/drug-induced hallucinations Brad is seeing. That's why they always blame him, because he feels responsible for her death by not protecting her, and in turn why he's the way he is about Buddy.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I sorta figured that Brad's guilt was not in a literal sense of "He did something bad to her/let her do it" but in the sense of him feeling responsible for it. There probably wasn't much he could do, but that doesn't mean he doesn't feel like he could've done more.

InnercityGriot posted:

Nah, that guy wasn't asking about the stuttering student, he wanted to know who the guy with the Wolverine claws at the end was. Sticky's dad

As for why Buzzo is so pissed at Brad, much of the speculation is that he was a childhood friend of Lisa.

A flashback shows that he was the only one to go to her funeral though that doesn't eliminate the possibility.

Fat and Useless posted:

There's a very missable delusion, I know I missed it my first time: http://i.imgur.com/4NqfhQW.png

Between Buddy's emotional issues and Rando's physical abuse, Brad basically became Morty and then took it a step further. The way to get the good ending is to just not play, just don't let Brad near kids, ever.

As for Buzzo, he's probably referring to Lisa, I assume Brad did something to trigger her into killing herself because dealing with Morty and Morty Jr is basically asking for death. People have made guesses he was one of the kids at the karate lesson, maybe one of Lisa's friends who watched her emotionally waste away. Maybe we'll find out in some DLC.

Oh man, I saw that but I completely didn't realize it was a hallucination of him at the time.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 23, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Anatharon posted:

A flashback shows that he was the only one to go to her funeral though that doesn't eliminate the possibility.

I think the point of that was that he didn't go to the real funeral, if you try to use the doors before you check the coffin it says to stop running and the priest treats the brother of the deceased like he's a stranger.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
If there's people undecided on the game, I've started an LP of it. I encourage you to pick up the game. :toot:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689906

Devour or Fire posted:

I think the point of that was that he didn't go to the real funeral, if you try to use the doors before you check the coffin it says to stop running and the priest treats the brother of the deceased like he's a stranger.

Huh, that could be true. :smith:

As an aside I tried doing nothing but defending while fighting Rando, Marty, Sticky and my party but it didn't do anything special. Oh well!

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 24, 2014

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
That's cool, an LP might really help a game like this. I didn't even hear about this game until like three weeks ago.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just discovered that if you sell the spare TnT to the guys in the second area hub, they use it to blow up everyone in the Dojo area. Shame I was saving that area for last, and hadn't recruited Dojo Buster yet. Ah well.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I finally got through all ten rounds of Russian Roulette and got Buckets. He's pretty cool but are all of his attacks just vanilla single target physical damage?

Also he's a Joy addict? Maybe it's for the best that he's going to die to Brad, then... :negative:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 24, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anatharon posted:

I finally got through all ten rounds of Russian Roulette and got Buckets. He's pretty cool but are all of his attacks just vanilla single target physical damage?

Also he's a Joy addict? Maybe it's for the best that he's going to die to Brad, then... :negative:

Yup, just physical attacks. He has really high single target damage thanks to Bullet Tap (or w/e skill hits three times). It never seems to miss, and he has really high potential attack thanks to be able to equip two guns.

Given how tough he is to get, I wish he wasn't a Joy addict. Kind of ruins his usefulness if you're doing a Joyless playthrough.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
On the flipside, he's an absolute murder machine if you joy him up, since it gives him a damage boost and guaranteed crits.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
Ugh...that ending.

Just spent some time reading up on what people are saying on the Lisa Steam forums/Here about Brad's past with his dead sister raped by marty...

Man, this game plays the two sides of being hilarious and at the same time completely depressing very well...

killaer
Aug 4, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Boss spoiler

http://i.imgur.com/0DSVnlh.png Did not expect this at all. Game continues to be awesome.

How do you get this encounter?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

killaer posted:

How do you get this encounter?

You need to have given up Terry to Columbo at the beginning. Then you'll fight Terry before the rest of Columbo's gang prior to the third hub.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
Is there any place that catalogues the final lines your party members say to you when They confront you as you are fighting the last battle against rando? I would be really curious to see all of their final lines without having to replay the last scene 10 times...

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

killaer posted:

Is there any place that catalogues the final lines your party members say to you when They confront you as you are fighting the last battle against rando? I would be really curious to see all of their final lines without having to replay the last scene 10 times...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/335670/discussions/0/626329820776536794/

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Am I completely hosed if my entire part got killed during russian roulette? Everyone but Olen died and then Olen vanished so now I'm alone and can't find anyone else to join up with. poo poo sucks.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Internet Kraken posted:

Am I completely hosed if my entire part got killed during russian roulette? Everyone but Olen died and then Olen vanished so now I'm alone and can't find anyone else to join up with. poo poo sucks.

Just keep trucking, you'll find people soon enough.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

There are a couple guys in the second hub area you can get without too much trouble.

One of the doors, I think the highest, leads to a dojo-themed village. All the way to the right you can recruit Yazan. You can buy a doll at a shop there, and give it to a man nearby to get Olathe Whiskey, which you can give to the drunk in the cave before the village to have him join you. Though the first door, I think, is an Inn a ways in. If you stay there and talk to the gooseman each time he'll eventually join you.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MrBims posted:

Just keep trucking, you'll find people soon enough.

Incidently if you were to hypothetically somehow lose all your party members and both of Brad's arms before you were ready to finish Area 3, there is still a way to get strong enough to finish the game. But you'd have to be really dumb to get in that situation, of course.

I mean, nobody would ever do that.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you want to make the game unwinnable you can run out of TNT before you open the door you need to open.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Devour or Fire posted:

If you want to make the game unwinnable you can run out of TNT before you open the door you need to open.

The method I want to try that I haven't had a chance to yet is running out of party members before the mandatory rounds of Russian Roulette.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Anatharon posted:

The method I want to try that I haven't had a chance to yet is running out of party members before the mandatory rounds of Russian Roulette.

That happened to me the first time I went through, all that happens is that you can do nothing but exit out of the select screen and go to game over.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The more I play this game the more my original assessment of it being Earthbound on hard drugs seems accurate.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Out of curiosity, about how long is this game?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Buffis posted:

Out of curiosity, about how long is this game?

About nine hours for my first playthrough and there was a ton of content I didn't see.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Devour or Fire posted:

Welp. Time to start over.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Fibby Boy posted:

Welp. Time to start over.

Check the construction site one more time.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

The gentleman on Garbage Island doesn't like my smell and won't let me by. What am I missing?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bluemidget posted:

The gentleman on Garbage Island doesn't like my smell and won't let me by. What am I missing?

Equip an old sock or some other stench-adding equipment.

Edit: On Brad, of course.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I beat this game for the first time I got joyless ending. I knew what was coming, but still felt like a piece of poo poo about it.

Really good game. The most effective RPG I've played in ages.

EDIT: The more I think about the ending the sadder it gets. Marty obviously treated Brad like a piece of poo poo so Brade has no idea how to raise a kid properly. He ends up making the same mistakes as hist lovely dad, and Buddy hates him as a result. Brad doesn't want to be like his dad but ends up doing the same poo poo, and he blames himself for not being good enough to avoid that. Then you finally meet Mart again, and he's magically turned his life around and now Buddy admires him. And from Brad's perspective that's just impossible, and you can't really blame him for that.

Its all very sad and says a lot about how family violence ends up as a vicious cycle.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 28, 2014

killaer
Aug 4, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I beat this game for the first time I got joyless ending. I knew what was coming, but still felt like a piece of poo poo about it.

Really good game. The most effective RPG I've played in ages.

EDIT: The more I think about the ending the sadder it gets. Marty obviously treated Brad like a piece of poo poo so Brade has no idea how to raise a kid properly. He ends up making the same mistakes as hist lovely dad, and Buddy hates him as a result. Brad doesn't want to be like his dad but ends up doing the same poo poo, and he blames himself for not being good enough to avoid that. Then you finally meet Mart again, and he's magically turned his life around and now Buddy admires him. And from Brad's perspective that's just impossible, and you can't really blame him for that.

Its all very sad and says a lot about how family violence ends up as a vicious cycle.

I don't think brad makes the same mistakes as Marty at all. It's suggested that Marty, since he is an alcoholic fuckup/terrible person abused his daughter to the point of her suicide. After losing his sister, Brad has to protect Buddy, and he becomes an overbearing father figure. All of the men in Olathe (Which I suspect is the badlands of Australia lol) tell her that she will be a goddess, the savior of humanity, and she ends up believing pervs that just want to bang her like Sticky. This is why Brad murders his father, because he knows that he basically molested his little sister/abandoned her, and he sees that Buddy sees him as a better father than Brad himself, which breaks his mind.

Man the story in this game goes deep. I was really enjoying playing this game. Then I killed rando. Man that was terrible. Especially when you find out that he was Brad's old student. gently caress. Terrible terrible terrible. The sad thing is, when Brad's buddies say that "Rando's army would be way better equipped to handle this, we would get all the cool stuff we want durr" they're....actually right. and that's the tragedy of the story, Brad can't see past his self-righteous crusade of saving Buddy, which ends up leading to...tons of people dying. That's why it's so heavy when Rando says "you...you're still the best, master armstrong." You really are. You end up slaughtering half of the population of Olathe to save this girl, and it all backfires on you.

poo poo I think I got way too into this game. Please buy it. I wish Dingaling becomes a millionaire from this and goes on to develop more games :D

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Where the hell do you find Bo? I've been trying to recruit all the party members I missed but I can't find this guy anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Where the hell do you find Bo? I've been trying to recruit all the party members I missed but I can't find this guy anywhere.

Go left in the swamp.

• Locked thread