Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Congrats CSB! Don't let em fool ya, married life is what you make of it. Mine is like a comfortable old boot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

gileadexile posted:

Congrats CSB! Don't let em fool ya, married life is what you make of it. Mine is like a comfortable old boot!

Smells funny, young kids make fun of it, and secretly bad for your ankles?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

tuna posted:

Nice, I have the 120SR and have used it twice to terrify the cats before realizing I'm gonna kill one eventually, so I took it outside and wiped out half of the landlord's rose bush before calling it a day. Be careful where you use it dude.

Oh god yeah, it's a fuckload twitchier than my big coax. Dad and I cleared out the work garage yesterday and he tested his Syma X6 quadcopter that mom and I got him, while I learned the ropes with the Blade. It's so drat fast. I had it buzzing around the shop, which is big enough to hold a backhoe, dump truck, and Silverado 1500, and I still had to keep a close eye on it and be quick with the controls. I smacked the door once, but didn't damage anything, just scuffed the main rotors. I need to order an extra pair of those for sure, and i'm also looking at picking up the Military style MD500E kit from here once I get better at flying it.

Also, I love that it sounds like a really angry housefly when you get it hovering, it's the greatest :v:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So what was everyone's best christmas present?

I got the Fieldpeice SMAN4 for Christmas, I've wanting one for work for a while now.

Oh, and I also traded cars with my dad and got this big dumb thing:

Fits like a glove, why I still have centimeteres of garage space left with this thing!

Yeah, we middle-class now. :c00lbutt:

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

iv46vi posted:

2009 GTI with 100k miles and DSG for 13000 is a bad idea for daily driver, right? I just finished paying off cc debts, time to get back into the red zone.

I've been dailying a 2007 with a DSG for the past 5 years and I just went over 100k miles a few months ago. If you KNOW all of the maintenance has been done it probably isn't a huge gamble. 2009 would have the revised engine, so less oil consumption and you don't need to worry about the cam follower self destructing and burning a several thousand dollar hole in your wallet.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 208 days!)

So, a buddy was going to hit the local dollar junk store that is a bit out of the way (for me).

Now, A bit of backstory:

This store has dog treats that my dog loves. An issue lies in that the recipe has changed, and the manufacturer no longer adds dye to them. My dog loves the neon red and yellow ones, but won't eat the new ones. This shop is the last place that seems to have the old formula left. These treats are called "People Crackers".

He called me up knowing that this store has better selection than the one closer to me, and he asked if I needed anything. I said "Yeah. If they have any left, get the colored people crackers for my dog." without even realizing it.

He almost lost his poo poo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I am reeling in horror anyone puts something akin to pus on a good piece of meat. Real cheese or die in nuclear fire.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Its not usually a very good cut of meat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
You generally pay extra to be told what animal it came from.

For the record, the correct answer is yes.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, we middle-class now. :c00lbutt:

oh god, its mediocrity!

Rhyno posted:

So protein shake for breakfast, Chipotle burrito for lunch, Totino's pizza for dinner and a few handfuls of Chicken N Bisket crackers and a huge screwdriver to top it off and at 4am the gastric pain was so intense it nearly brought me to tears. It's amusing that I only find God and beg for his forgiveness after a bad food combination.

Totino's party pizzas.... for telling the world "I have given up"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hansolio posted:

I've been dailying a 2007 with a DSG for the past 5 years and I just went over 100k miles a few months ago. If you KNOW all of the maintenance has been done it probably isn't a huge gamble. 2009 would have the revised engine, so less oil consumption and you don't need to worry about the cam follower self destructing and burning a several thousand dollar hole in your wallet.

Yeah, at 100k, the DSG is out of the VW-extended warranty. I'd make sure that the transmission saw the 40k and 80k transmission service and be ready for another fluid change in ~15k miles.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I thought that was a Red Baron/PBR/Häagen-Dazs combo..

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You find a better way to spend 99 cents on food and I'm all ears.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pizza rolls are the best poo poo ever but it's not super cheap since I usually eat the 90 piece bag in one sitting :v:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

7-11 PBR?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

BrokenKnucklez posted:

oh god, its mediocrity!
And how! But hey, it's reliable and not 22 years old, so it works for me. For now. Until I can trade it up for another actually interesting car. Plus I can still trade back for my Cherokee later if I want.

quote:

Totino's Party Pizza's are the best pizzas for after work. Just slam one of those in the toster oven and call it a night.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

I am reeling in horror anyone puts something akin to pus on a good piece of meat. Real cheese or die in nuclear fire.
You know the Top Gear US special, where they joke about Americans putting cheeeeeeese on everything? They're not joking.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

The banquet tv dinners... nope nope, thats still asking for full on pain.

ExplodingSims posted:

And how! But hey, it's reliable and not 22 years old, so it works for me. For now. Until I can trade it up for another actually interesting car. Plus I can still trade back for my Cherokee later if I want.

V6? I alwasy wanted to snag a V8 model myself, but the earlier models with the 5.0, it wouldn't be hard to do a few mods to make it quicker. Plus the upper trim levels are darn near Rover comfort, but a little gimmicky.

Honestly though, it has to be full beam axles front and rear or full independent suspension. For some reason any other SUV with IFS front/Solid rear never feels planted on the road.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Tina's Burritos are 2 for a dollar, if you don't mind cheap and greasy burritos.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Viggen posted:

Its not usually a very good cut of meat.

Doesnt matter. Canned "cheese" is basically the poo poo they scraped off a teenagers face and pressurized. How in all that is holy can anyone "eat" that????

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
With a lot of lovely draft beer and great relish?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The banquet tv dinners... nope nope, thats still asking for full on pain.

V6? I alwasy wanted to snag a V8 model myself, but the earlier models with the 5.0, it wouldn't be hard to do a few mods to make it quicker. Plus the upper trim levels are darn near Rover comfort, but a little gimmicky.

Honestly though, it has to be full beam axles front and rear or full independent suspension. For some reason any other SUV with IFS front/Solid rear never feels planted on the road.

4.0L SOHC V6. I mean, it's not really a bad car, but it's quite a change stepping up from a Cherokee. Even before I got handed this thing I had looked at Mountaineers of the same vintage. They looked pretty snazzy and had a nice V8 and most of all thanks to the gas prices were stupid cheap. But Hey, it's a more or less free upgrade, so I could do worse. It does have a lot more trunk space as well, which is also nice.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 28, 2014

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Congrats CSB!

I don't post in AI much but I'm persistent lurker, and you lads and lasses are the best, I hope 2015 fucks 2014 in the proverbial.

:glomp:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yes, congrats CSB...some happy news to cap off what has been a challenging year for AI posters. I guess I am one of the lucky ones in that my year was, for the most part, unremarkable.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm researching divorce lawyers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the spyder posted:

What the gently caress, when did things go bad?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Rhyno posted:

What the gently caress, when did things go bad?

It all started with her getting caught blowing apex seals.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

the spyder posted:

:smith::hf::smith: I feel ya, man. Been separated since the end of August, signed papers on November 14, and just went to court to finalize everything on Christmas Eve. I felt it was a pretty good present, but she didn't seem to see it that way :v:

PM me if'n you want to talk about anything. It's not the right call for everyone, but it was absolutely the right outcome for me.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's not an easy choice, but it's not about me at this point- it's about what's best for my Son. I caught her once before and being the idiot I am, allowed her to stay if we attended counselling. She agreed, but refused to attend counselling some time later. This weekend, a family friend who's youngest attends my sons school called my mother, asking if my wife and I had separated. Apparently she had seen my wife making out with a guy in her car, while waiting to pickup her daughter from school. This is at a small, private school and I'm sure we are the peak of the rumour mill. I've had a feeling for a while this is where things were headed and I'm prepared. Our relationship has not been health for some time and my son's to the age where he's going to start figuring things out and asking questions. He's already said a few things that have bothered me, but now make sense. It's just time to move on. I'm going for full custody and will try to maintain as decent a relationship with her as possible, mainly for our son. I will probably regret posting this at some point. (Friends/family on here), but gently caress it. The worst part is, I've been preparing myself for this for far to long and it's barely affecting me :\. Atleast I emotionally disconnected some time ago, so I've got that going for me. I just wish I wasn’t changing jobs next month, it's going to complicate things even more. 2015 is going to be interesting...

How many single dads are on AI?

*Do me a favour and don't quote this in case I decided to pull it.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 28, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat dude, that sucks.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Yep.

On the plus side, I never have to touch that god drat POS Mini Cooper S again.

gently caress.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This is not going to be a gently caress 2014 post, it goes much further back.

TL;DR: Nearing 30, single for 6 years, no real friends, feeling pointless, no loving idea what to do with myself.

I'll start at the beginning. I grew up in the countryside, and there were only like 5 families living on our road, so we kids played together by necessity. But when my family moved to a nearby town, I got out of bicycle range, so contact died off. I had a couple of friends some kilometers away as well, some of my parents' friends' kids. I got a couple of friends in town, but those were short-lived friendships.

I never had any real friends in school, just the occasional playdate. In 5th grade I changed schools because I was bullied at the old school. I didn't stay in contact with anyone from the old school. At the new school I never really got any close friends, as I was put into a class where friend groups had already been established years before, so I was a hanger-on at best. A couple of new kids joined the class over the years, one of them made 8th grade a living hell for me, the other I simply didn't have anything in common with at all.

So I didn't stay in contact with anyone from school, save one of the girls whom I happened to meet on the bus a couple of years later while I was at trade school. We "dated" for about a year or so (I desperately thought we were dating, but we obviously weren't). When I moved away and figured out that she wasn't really interested in me after all, we stopped talking.

When I went to trade school, I managed to have a handful of semi-close friends, both from the school and through their friends. We would have the occasional LAN party and such, go out drinking after school on fridays, that sort of thing. When I got an apprenticeship way across the country and moved away, I lost contact with them. It was partially due to the fact that a couple of the guys basically hated my guts and only begrudgingly accepted my presence. When I finally moved a safe distance away, they completely cut me out.

So, at my new apprenticeship far away from home, I got a handful of new friends because we happened to be a lot of guys (and girls) all around the same age at the only major company in the area. It was pretty good, actually. We played poker every thursday, partied hard-ish thursday+friday+saturday a couple of times a month, it was pretty good. I also got into a serious relationship at that point.

Then my apprenticeship ended, and the company didn't have an open spot for me. So I started looking for jobs, and found one at almost precisely the other end of the country. My girlfriend agreed to move to Copenhagen with me, so that was at least some good news.

By now, you should know the drill. I lost contact with everyone from my old apprenticeship when I moved. Sure, there's the occasional "happy birthday" or whatnot on Facebook, but that doesn't really mean anything.

So, completely new in the capital with my girlfriend, we tried to set up a life for ourselves. It lasted for about a year and a half. We broke up and she moved in with her sister (who also lived in Copenhagen at the time). My ex-girlfriend was, and is probably the only really close friend I've ever had. Unfortunately she moved back to Jutland because she missed her family (and her mom's health was declining), but we try to stay in contact from time to time. Now that she's gotten married and has a kid on the way, that's probably going to complicate things. Her sister moved back to Jutland as well a little while later, we were pretty good friends, but that's fizzed out too now due to the distance.

Well, that left me pretty much alone again. I should note that I have a pretty good relationship with my awesome colleagues, and I seem to be generally well-liked at work, and known as someone who knows his stuff and isn't afraid to tackle new tasks. Which is kinda ironic, considering I spend maybe 80% of my time at work on SA or otherwise wasting time on the Internet. Some days, I start thinking about when someone will finally notice that I'm just goofing off most of the time.

I really genuinely like my colleagues. They're talented and very competent individuals, and just nice people in general. They're also all 45+, with a number of them 60+, which just isn't conducive to much social stuff when you're 29. They all have kids, some of them even grandkids. The only other "young" person is 35, but he's just had a kid of his own, so it feels very much like we're at completely different stages of life.

My spare time is mostly spent watching TV shows and movies and wasting time on the Internet. I have an Xbox 360 and an overfilled Steam account, but it's been ages since I could be bothered loading up a game, let alone finishing one or playing any kind of multiplayer. I haven't used my computers for anything creative or productive in years. My Warhammer miniatures have also been neglected for years, and I've never ever gotten around to actually playing the games they were meant for. In over 15 years of on/off miniature painting, I've completely finished only 20 or so, at the most.

I do crossfit 2-3 times a week. I like it, and I like the positive atmosphere at the club I go to, but I've never managed to actually make any real friends there in the 4 years I've been a member. The only contact I have with them is at the club or at club-related parties. And even then, I can't stand partying for too long, I'm completely done and in need of peace and quiet at around 01:00 every time.

I also volunteer as a track constructor at the annual historic grand prix close to where I live. It's great fun, everyone there is awesome and we have a blast for 2-3 weeks every summer, and when we meet 2 times during the year for gocarting. But that's it, they have their own relationships and families and kids and friends, so during the rest of the year, pretty much nothing.

I used to have a motorcycle, and I liked riding it. But it started getting a little less fun and more pointless-feeling, almost like a chore every time I went out, and my motorcycle got stolen in October. I'm not sure whether I want to get another one, especially since my wrenching buddy died from cancer in november.

It just feels like I simply can't get new friends, and I can't even hang one to those I do get. One of my childhood friends lives in Copenhagen too, we see each other maybe once a year, it seems like that's good enough for him, since he's got all kinds of other stuff going on, what with his ph.d and university friends. Then there's one of the guys from my old apprenticeship, he's moved to Copenhagen too now, but he's married and all that stuff, so I guess we've just drifted apart.

I dunno, I feel like I'm just rambling now. I just feel so goddamn alone, and it genuinely seems like my personality just isn't very conducive to building or maintaining friendships. Every time I've tried, they just fizzle out, or the supposed friend just completely stops contacting me.

I haven't held a birthday party in years that didn't involve just inviting the family over to my parents' house for coffee. Actually, I've only ever held one birthday party that didn't involve either family or my entire class from school, and it ended in a disaster due to the aforementioned girl that wasn't really interested in me, but just went along with it to be nice. I'm being absolutely literal when I say that I have no. Friends.

I have literally no idea what's going wrong, and I feel alone. I know you guys are out there in the world, but it's not the same thing, you know?

It's 03:47 and I can't sleep because I accidentally started thing about all this poo poo, and it just keeps getting worse every time it happens.

Yeah I know, "it's a depression" and all that. I used to think everything would be OK if I could get a girlfriend again. Absolutely no luck, as soon as anyone (whether possible friend or GF) get a whiff of the whole "no friends" thing, they're gone. It's like a self-perpetuating lovely situation.

And even if things somehow magically put me in a good situation, I probably wouldn't know it. I have very little idea how to socialize or network or whatever you want to call it. I'm super loving bad at it, and it probably scares people away. I'm bad at it at work too, I only get by because I have a couple of colleagues I can lean on to keep track of all of the departments and important people.

gently caress it, now I'm angry as well as sad. Good loving job, me. Look at that huge-rear end wall of text, that's what's keeping me awake at night.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 28, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Man there is some serious gently caress 2014 going on in this thread.
I'm sorry to hear it guys.

The girlfriend just informed me that I can't ride motorcycles once we have kids.
I've always wanted kids.
Now I'm considering a secret vasectomy...

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

the spyder posted:

The worst part is, I've been preparing myself for this for far to long and it's barely affecting me :\. Atleast I emotionally disconnected some time ago, so I've got that going for me. I just wish I wasn’t changing jobs next month, it's going to complicate things even more. 2015 is going to be interesting...

How many single dads are on AI?

One right here. My two kids (ages 6 and 3) live with their mother mostly, but I get to spend lots of time with them every week and they stay with me every other weekend, so it's not bad. I should have said that it was the best outcome for all of us, because it truly was.

I know what you mean about feeling emotionally disconnected already. My ex-wife hated my guts and made sure everyone knew it every day for the last year and a half. The kids could tell that she hated me and asked about it sometimes. Even our friends noticed how she acted toward me, and she was the absolute best at hiding her feelings and emotions and putting on a good face for outsiders. After we separated, I was still (stupidly) trying to work things out, but when she lost her poo poo over me officiating my friend's wedding and said "we are getting divorced whether you go to that wedding or not", that kinda sealed the deal for me. That's when I finally came to my senses and realized I couldn't ever go back, but I was already used to not having any emotional connection to her since we hadn't shared a bedroom in a year and a half.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Man there is some serious gently caress 2014 going on in this thread.
I'm sorry to hear it guys.

The girlfriend just informed me that I can't ride motorcycles once we have kids.
I've always wanted kids.
Now I'm considering a secret vasectomy...

What's the reasoning behind this?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

mariooncrack posted:

What's the reasoning behind this?

She doesn't want to raise kids alone. :v:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

goatse guy posted:

How big? I started with a ten gallon community freshwater tank when I was 15 and ended up with a 220 gallon reef.

Now my only tank is a 1.2 gallon freshwater planted tank on my desk at work. I miss having a big tank but I have no room at home.

This is a cube holding 75 gallons. Complete system with skimmer sump and lights for £150 :)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

the spyder posted:

Yep.

On the plus side, I never have to touch that god drat POS Mini Cooper S again.

gently caress.

That's a big plus.

Also you have a sweet shop!

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
2014 was actually pretty goddamn awesome for me, aside from the sexual assault and the homelessness and getting knocked up and losing almost all of my friends, because I am now in a better place and happier than I was in 2013. I have a better job, better living situation, and better friends. There's no greater opportunity for personal growth than personal tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Welp. Backup well is failing to keep the water system supplied, so we're back on the mud pumping main well again. This loving sucks, we were starting to sorta make progress on fixing the system up :sigh:

• Locked thread