Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Swan Curry posted:

For the first time since the reboot began I didn't watch the Doctor Who Christmas special. It's odd, I like Capaldi more than any of the other doctors but I just don't have any interest in the rest of the show.

I usually agree with this sentiment but this year's Christmas special was surprisingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

PriorMarcus posted:

I usually agree with this sentiment but this year's Christmas special was surprisingly good.

It was, wasn't it. I audibly groaned when the preview for it came on after the last episode of the previous season. Woo, Santa! I liked the way they handled it though, it was a good mix of actually quite cool sci-fi and christmas nonsense (that worked alright in context), while remaining terrifying for the kids. I'd not have slept for weeks if I'd seen that when I was little.

fake edit: woo, page 666 :spooky:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Still reeling from the train wreck that was Mel B on last nights Big Fat Quiz. Anyone with better lip reading skills than I able to give a good interpretation of what Jimmy said when she wasn't looking?

Not usually a big fan of Sarah Millican but liked her retort about it very much being possible for everyone to hate Mel by the end.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Still reeling from the train wreck that was Mel B on last nights Big Fat Quiz. Anyone with better lip reading skills than I able to give a good interpretation of what Jimmy said when she wasn't looking?

Not usually a big fan of Sarah Millican but liked her retort about it very much being possible for everyone to hate Mel by the end.

Don't know what Channel 4 were thinking, putting one non-comedian in a panel of professionals. It was embarrassingly dreadful.

I don't know what Mel B is like in real life, but she came across as painfully sour and humourless in this. Felt bad for all the other contestants by the end of it, they were trying to jolly things along and she was just sort of...a wet blob of sulky boringness in the middle of the set. About the only bright point in it were the little bits of Jimmy Carr/Kevin Bridges/Sarah Millican interaction.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Everybody quoting Spice Girls songs at Mel B WAS one of the highlights though. But yeah, especially in the beginning it was pretty obvious that nobody really knew what to make of her being so sour.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Irisi posted:

Don't know what Channel 4 were thinking, putting one non-comedian in a panel of professionals. It was embarrassingly dreadful.
They kept putting Noel Fielding on that panel for a while and he seemed to go over okay.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So close to a really good Big Quiz line up as well. Everyone was answering the questions properly! Putting Ayoade on Mitchell's team was a good move.

Apparently it would have been recorded around the time Mel B was 'having some trouble at home', though.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
According to Charlton Brooker on Twitter, this years wipe will feature Adam Curtis & CassetteBoy (doing a piece on scot ref).

He did not confirm if Barry Shitpeas was in.

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 27, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope so, Shitpeas is my favourite part. I'm up for as many people on screen who aren't Charlie Brooker as possible if I want to enjoy it. I know he writes for virtually all of them, but his presence just aggravates me a bit these days. I used to be such a big fan of Screen Wipe too :(

Hope Limmy turns up at some point too.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

EL BROMANCE posted:

...but his presence just aggravates me a bit these days. I used to be such a big fan of Screen Wipe too :(

It's not the loving hair is it?

ThomasPaine posted:

It was, wasn't it. I audibly groaned when the preview for it came on after the last episode of the previous season. Woo, Santa!

I had the exact same thought. I started watching it expecting rubbish.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 27, 2014

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Richard Herring is on Celebrity Pointless, awaiting his inevitable breakdown if he doesn't win.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Something with "what the gently caress, it's a loving question ... loving answer". Kev Bridges' "clunge plunger" comeback paid for 45 maybe 50 minutes of Mel B presence so it's not too bad in the end. She was awful, I don't think she has done a big panel game ever, maybe never even watched one. I wonder who cancelled at the last hour and for what. Sean Lock for alcoholism due to he beer/schnapps he got in he 8 out 10 cats Christmas special? What a show it could have been...

EL BROMANCE posted:

It was quite early and it was about it being possible to fall out with everyone, which Sarah thought Mel B could. Which did sort of shut Mel B up after that, or at least limit the sour phlegm. And Sarah nailed the rebus. And she is funny anytime. And they beat the nerds didn't they? So yeah well done her.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Bruce's Hall of Fame

Edit: Apart from the Jamie Cullum bit because he's always class

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 27, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PriorMarcus posted:

It's not the loving hair is it?

Nah, I think it came down to two things:

1. That panel show he did that didn't start very well at all, kinda felt like the kind of thing he would've openly criticised himself. It did seem to get a bit better, but it was painful to start with. I also thought Dead Set had a great first episode, but got progressively worse over the next 3 or 4 nights.

2. I liked his little behind the scenes stuff on Screenwipe with regards to how TV was made, and most of the stuff he threw poo poo at deserved it. In Newswipe, his approach seemed to tar all the media with one brush, and then gave an ego boosting explanation of whats going on and why he's right (even though many people in the media put forward the same kind of thing).

I'm sure it's just an over exaggerated character of his real beliefs in order to make it entertaining, but I just find it grates a bit. Some people find it hard to separate Stewart Lee the character from the man, and I guess I probably suffer from that with Brooker.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

A friend of mine stayed with an ex of Brooker's in London once. She showed him a copy of one of his books he'd sent her, which was signed with something along the lines of 'To xxxxx, I bet you thought this would be all about you, didn't you? You were great at sucking cock though. Charlie Brooker'

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Brooker's problem is that if you spend enough time with him he starts to look and act like his own Spitting Image puppet .

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

A friend of mine stayed with an ex of Brooker's in London once. She showed him a copy of one of his books he'd sent her, which was signed with something along the lines of 'To xxxxx, I bet you thought this would be all about you, didn't you? You were great at sucking cock though. Charlie Brooker'
Somehow that seems like precisely something he would do. What a oval office.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I was skeptical when I heard Open All Hours was coming back for a full series but having watched the first of the new series (special not counting) I can safely say it;s just as funny as the original run, but I still miss Ronnie Barker's presence though.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

I was skeptical when I heard Open All Hours was coming back for a full series but having watched the first of the new series (special not counting) I can safely say it;s just as funny as the original run, but I still miss Ronnie Barker's presence though.

Roy Clarke has lost nothing over the years.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Josh Lyman posted:

Somehow that seems like precisely something he would do. What a oval office.

That's funny as gently caress though

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I almost completely forgot that this Top Gear is the one with the Argentina argy bargy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Just finished watching the Top Gear special. What the gently caress, Argentina? Clarkson, Hammond and May can be annoying, but an angry mob over a numberplate? Disproportionate response, right there.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Didn't watch the Top Geat thingy, but James May had a rather fun programme on Christmas Day about him and a team of enthusiastic engineering students trying to make Action Man break the sound barrier using a home-made rocket, all the while competing against a rival group who were using a Sindy doll.

It looked awfully good fun, if only for the bit where you get to see what happens to Action Men when they're taken to a BAE testing range and blasted with some sort of air cannon. It...doesn't end well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
James May solo is responsible for some good telly, I liked his Car of the People series the other week.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Top Gear is so heavily edited that to treat it as anything more than a piece of light entertainment is a bit daft.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

The Missing: Ollie drew the figure on the wall because the cleaner said he found and left it there, so Tony did not draw it
QI: very poor, sucking up to Carrie Fisher and lots of Star Wars references for nerds which left the rest of us bored. QI usually avoids in-jokes. The science experiment at the end was cool but I regretted sitting through 30min of disappointment. :(

E: Do you think there will be a full box set of Peep Show after the final series? I held back from buying S1-5 (?) in the box set because I wanted to get the whole lot when it finishes. Out in time for Xmas 2015, do you think?

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 29, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

E: Do you think there will be a full box set of Peep Show after the final series? I held back from buying S1-5 (?) in the box set because I wanted to get the whole lot when it finishes. Out in time for Xmas 2015, do you think?

The show was actually saved by DVD sales, so I wouldn't be surprised if there will be a box set.

It was going to be cancelled after, I think, series 3, but it sold unusually well on DVD, so it carried on.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Jesus Mel B. I would like to see a behind the scenes story about that one. Being out of your comfort zone is one thing, being out of your comfort zone and being that loving miserable is another thing entirely. I honestly think that Posh Spice would've been a better bet. I don't usually like Mickey Flannigan that much, but he did well to deal with her.

Also, I've tried watching Phoenix Nights again. Funny moments aside, it's amazing how much goodwill Peter Kay burned up by being a shithead .

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Funny moments aside, it's amazing how much goodwill Peter Kay burned up by being a shithead .

What's all this about

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

stickyfngrdboy posted:

What's all this about

Part of it is his well know joke thievery and ego. From what I recall he's fallen out with Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice (Both are absent from the season 2 commentaries) and Daniel Kitson has nothing good at all to say about him. I know there's separating the art from the artist and all that, but still.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Yvonmukluk posted:

Just finished watching the Top Gear special. What the gently caress, Argentina? Clarkson, Hammond and May can be annoying, but an angry mob over a numberplate? Disproportionate response, right there.

I don't know how much of that entire argy bargy is real though, given that the entire thing was framed as a Butch Cassidy adventure at the start and finish. While they could have gotten similar cars and duplicate number plates to film the start and ending piece later to add some levity to the situation (and it would even make sense given how disconnected the start is from the rest) I doubt it simply because the whole comes across too seamless. There's no discrepancies that I could see in cars, clothing etc. Then again, I wasn't looking and editing can really cover that poo poo I suppose.

Still, even if it was real it's not unprecedented. They did make a point that Argentina are still disputing territory with Chile to this day and the Falklands are still British, within the lifetime of anyone involved in the war. Even without the number plate there'd probably have been some trouble, because I'm sure anti-British sentiment there runs fairly high, especially in the cities, since it's easier to keep that sentiment high in more populated areas. Top Gear were just a prominent symbol because of their world wide popularity.

They did also mention that they hadn't run across anyone else belligerent the entire trip though.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

QI: very poor, sucking up to Carrie Fisher and lots of Star Wars references for nerds which left the rest of us bored. QI usually avoids in-jokes. The science experiment at the end was cool but I regretted sitting through 30min of disappointment. :(

I don't think you can really call it sucking up given that she didn't seem to care for it and more to just go along with it because it's the professional thing to do. Personally though, I enjoyed it. I also think Alan Davies was on fire and was laughing for quite a good bit of it. I just wish they'd gotten someone besides Bill Bailey for the final slot. He can be interesting and funny occasionally, and I enjoyed his Borneo documentary on Alfred Russell Wallace for instance, but I just don't think he's a good comedian all told, especially on QI where a lot of his humor comes from random answers in the same vein as Jo Brand.

What I wouldn't give for a QI episode with any mix of David Mitchell, Brian Cox, Brian Blessed, Jeremy Clarkson, Ronni Anconna or Sarah Pascoe. There's probably others, but they're my favorites off the top of my head, even if Brian Blessed was a rather once off guest sadly.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 29, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My ideal QI panel would be David Mitchell, Ronni Ancona and Sue Perkins. Because they're all both funny and actually intelligent.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

My ideal QI panel would be David Mitchell, Ronni Ancona and Sue Perkins. Because they're all both funny and actually intelligent.

You missed Rory McGrath off that list.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Well there's at least one person I was forgetting. I think she'd actually make a good replacement for Alan Davies if he ever decided to leave the show for some reason too, since she's quite funny as well as seeming to have the same mix of not very well learned in most areas, but still possessing some intuitive intelligence that the John Lloyd picked Davies for in the first place. Her Mekong River program was entertaining and interesting too if anyone here hasn't seen it and is looking for a travelogue to watch. Some great scenery too quite obviously.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I really like Bill Bailey and I'll watch anything unscripted with him in because he's so utterly unvicious and comforting.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Part of it is his well know joke thievery and ego. From what I recall he's fallen out with Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice (Both are absent from the season 2 commentaries) and Daniel Kitson has nothing good at all to say about him. I know there's separating the art from the artist and all that, but still.

To be fair, kitson took the part in the show and then completely slagged it off afterwards. I love kitson, he's my favourite comedian, but it's alright being principled after you've cashed the cheque.

Spikey wouldn't have a career without Kay, lol, he's terrible

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
So's Kay. loving remembering things oval office.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So, the Jonathan Strange an Mr Norrell adaption. Word was "early January", but it's now late December and there's still no more information. Has anyone heard anything at all? Or even know how far in advance the Beeb likes to schedule these things? I only ever turn the TV on when I know there's something I want to watch, and if I forget to keep checking I'm liable to miss the thing.

Got this, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UijYwmlCJQ

Szmitten posted:

I really like Bill Bailey and I'll watch anything unscripted with him in because he's so utterly unvicious and comforting.

He's like a big fluffy teddy bear. :3:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Autonomous Monster posted:

So, the Jonathan Strange an Mr Norrell adaption. Word was "early January", but it's now late December and there's still no more information. Has anyone heard anything at all? Or even know how far in advance the Beeb likes to schedule these things? I only ever turn the TV on when I know there's something I want to watch, and if I forget to keep checking I'm liable to miss the thing.

Got this, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UijYwmlCJQ

He's like a big fluffy teddy bear. :3:

Pretty much, his stand up stuff is weirdly comforting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Yvonmukluk posted:

It was a pathetic display by Argentina. The Argentinian veterans are sore about losing the war (that they started!), plus you'll always have a contingent in any society who'll become violent when goaded by their leaders about [foreign country] owning "their" territory. Whatever steers public attention away from their domestic failures, I guess.

What's interesting is how far the islands are from Argentina. The Falklands are over three hundred miles away from Argentina, and the other islands they invaded are well beyond a thousand miles away. Hardly what I'd consider Argentina's doorstep. Plus of course the people living on the islands have made it clear they're not wanting to be made a part of Argentina. It's a strange preoccupation, and unfortunately it may lead to many more unnecessary deaths in the future.

Otherwise, a fun Christmas special.