Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Is there an Xbox 360 emulator of some kind that would allow me to stick a disk into my PC and play the games, or am I limited to either keeping the 360+One hooked up or re-buying games on Steam? I'm getting the urge to play Dishonored again, and I still have an unopened Far Cry 3, but using the 360 as it stands is a pain in the rear end. On the other hand, I haven't heard of a decently functional 360 emu, and I'm not sure if the 360 disks use some format a typical DVD player can't read.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nighthand posted:

Is there an Xbox 360 emulator of some kind that would allow me to stick a disk into my PC and play the games

Not as of yet. The current Xbox 360 emulator performs like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAk0_jidpA0

We might have emulators working as well as PS2 emulators currently do in 3 or 4 years, and you'll also need a newer computer from that time to get things to work full speed. So for now, you'd better just keep the 360 around.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
My parents are currently paying ~$60 a month for a landline through AT&T. They're in the hinterlands of Northern California, so cell service isn't reliable. They have Comcast Internet; is it possible to switch them over to a consumer-level VOIP phone?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thanatosian posted:

My parents are currently paying ~$60 a month for a landline through AT&T. They're in the hinterlands of Northern California, so cell service isn't reliable. They have Comcast Internet; is it possible to switch them over to a consumer-level VOIP phone?

Comcast's land line service is only like $20 a month, and you just keep using your standard phones.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Comcast's land line service is only like $20 a month, and you just keep using your standard phones.

Yup, I have a VOIP landline from my (non-Comcast) cable company, and it's perfectly solid. The only downside is that if the power goes out, so does the phone. Not a frequent problem here in suburbia, but I can't speak for the hinterlands.

Or you can get cellphones that use your local wi-fi to connect to the internet for calls and texts, instead of (or in addition to) cell towers. Republic is insanely cheap if you don't need cell-tower service at all and go pure wi-fi -- something like five bucks a month for unlimited calls. You do have to buy one of their special phones, but there are cheap ones in the lineup.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Comcast landline service isn't available in the area, already checked into that.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Nintendo Kid posted:

Not as of yet. The current Xbox 360 emulator performs like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAk0_jidpA0

We might have emulators working as well as PS2 emulators currently do in 3 or 4 years, and you'll also need a newer computer from that time to get things to work full speed. So for now, you'd better just keep the 360 around.

That is painful to watch. 360 it is, and hope the disk drive doesn't completely fail. That or just spend the $10 or whatever it would cost to buy the games on steam. Oh well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nighthand posted:

That is painful to watch. 360 it is, and hope the disk drive doesn't completely fail. That or just spend the $10 or whatever it would cost to buy the games on steam. Oh well.

Yeah, but again it'll probably do ok in 4 years or so with like a 3 year newer machine than what's out now.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep
Any Idea what this is for?
is really delicate and fits in the palm of my hand. It was brought from Spain in the mid 90's
I bet its something incredibly stupid and easy to guess.. but eh, I have no clue.

http://imgur.com/UCpvvKM

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
It's possibly a pickle fork, cocktail pick, or snail fork.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 28, 2014

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Japanese bagel fork. For toasting bagels over an open flame

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

TheLastManStanding posted:

It's possibly a pickle fork, cocktail pick, or snail fork.

I found this, so you are completely right. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Blue-Sodalite-3-Off-White-Agate-Sterling-Silver-Cocktail-Fork-Picks-Vintage-/331424562918

Thanks!

Lawnie posted:

Japanese bagel fork. For toasting bagels over an open flame

Now I want a drat bagel

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What's the cheapest way to send a package from US to Europe? (Portugal) it's a bunch of Disney poo poo for my buddies daughter. Should I take it all out of the packaging so he doesn't get charged income tax or is it fine just listed as a gift? It is quite a bunch of stuff. About $150 US and I'd guess about 5-7 lbs

I assume, uh, going to an actual UPS location and not a UPS store or?

Oh and can you send alcohol?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 28, 2014

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Is there a company that I could get to print stuff out and mail to multiple US addresses for me? Say I work with people in Austin, SF, NY and Gaysexisthebestsex, FL and want to send people awards but live on the other side of the world, is there a way to make this happen?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Christoff posted:

What's the cheapest way to send a package from US to Europe? (Portugal) it's a bunch of Disney poo poo for my buddies daughter. Should I take it all out of the packaging so he doesn't get charged income tax or is it fine just listed as a gift? It is quite a bunch of stuff. About $150 US and I'd guess about 5-7 lbs

The cheapest will be usps. The value you declare the package to be worth is what your friend will pay taxes based on. In general the smaller the box and lighter the cheaper it is.

It is illegal to send alcohol. I have successfully mailed "snow globes" or "yeast samples in suspension" from us to belg many times.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Comcast landline service isn't available in the area, already checked into that.

Look into Ooma. I have a Telo left over from when my ex-wife's parents insisted that we have a landline since "those cell phones can be so unreliable..."

The base station is $130 and includes a lifetime of landline service. The only charges you see past that are taxes that work out to ~$3 a month for me. Ooma makes their money off of the trivially low cost of running VoIP and by charging for additional services (e.g. virtual second numbers, automatically emailing your Voicemail to you, etc.). There's also a small-ish one time fee to port your number.

The actual interface on the Ooma device is very easy to use, even for folks who aren't tech savvy.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Christoff posted:

My experience has been that if you can fit it in a USPS priority mail flat rate box it will almost certainly be cheaper than sending it any other way.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

SIHappiness posted:

Look into Ooma. I have a Telo left over from when my ex-wife's parents insisted that we have a landline since "those cell phones can be so unreliable..."

The base station is $130 and includes a lifetime of landline service. The only charges you see past that are taxes that work out to ~$3 a month for me. Ooma makes their money off of the trivially low cost of running VoIP and by charging for additional services (e.g. virtual second numbers, automatically emailing your Voicemail to you, etc.). There's also a small-ish one time fee to port your number.

The actual interface on the Ooma device is very easy to use, even for folks who aren't tech savvy.

++ Ooma, it's very plug-and-play, $3/mo, and needs no maintenance. Also, it's really handy to have a landline for those times you want to talk on the phone for an hour or two without your cell phone clamped to your head. There is a very small delay with VOIP, it's pretty reasonable until the person on the receiving end also has a small delay, and then if you add something in the mix (like Google Voice) that has a small delay... it slowly slides into Satellite phone territory. But for just having a landline... Ooma.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

The cheapest will be usps. The value you declare the package to be worth is what your friend will pay taxes based on. In general the smaller the box and lighter the cheaper it is.

It is illegal to send alcohol. I have successfully mailed "snow globes" or "yeast samples in suspension" from us to belg many times.

Florida Betty posted:

My experience has been that if you can fit it in a USPS priority mail flat rate box it will almost certainly be cheaper than sending it any other way.

Thanks guys. It won't fit into a flat rate box that's for sure. Would USPS still be cheaper? I'll have to take some of the stuff out of the packaging just because of bulk but if they inspect it and there's a bunch of unopened poo poo they're not going to charge him a bunch of taxes based on that? Should I just write "toy gifts" or what?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
Usps is your cheapest international option. Inspection varies by country. Odds of a package that isn't huge, ticking, or gurgling are low.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Worse they'll do is toss it eh? It'll be intermixed with a bunch of kid poo poo so yeah. I just don't want them to be like "ah yes look at all these high ticket Disney items 500 Euros to pick it up please"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I was reading this story about Radio Shack's woes.

If they can't afford to stay open and they can't afford to close, what the hell can they do?

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Mister Kingdom posted:

If they can't afford to stay open and they can't afford to close, what the hell can they do?

I would guess that they ride it out until they are officially bankrupt, then walk away.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

A family member received a bill today. Over a thousand dollars for some online classes. She enrolled in summer and fall classes this year but dropped the summer ones a few days in and must have forgot to drop the fall ones. She never participated in those classes and tried to talk to them about this but wasn't making any progress. Is there anything she can do? Besides paying the bill of course.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
If there's a nerd computer S/SQ thread anywhere, I can post this there. I have a file server setup on my home PC (Subsonic) that is set up to run on port 4040 (so it looks like 12.34.56.78:4040). It won't load on my work PC, presumably because there's some block on opening ips with a port attached to it (it works on my phone and on a friend's network). The only way I've gotten it to work is to use port 80 (that lets me use just the ip 12.34.56.78 to connect, and it works just fine) but obviously that's not the best solution. Is there any way to trick the web address into looking like an address without a port (:4040) attached to it? I have a domain and no-ip, but everything I've tried hasn't worked.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dragyn posted:

I would guess that they ride it out until they are officially bankrupt, then walk away.

So everybody gets screwed, eh?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

bvoid posted:

If there's a nerd computer S/SQ thread anywhere, I can post this there.
The home networking megathread, maybe.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mister Kingdom posted:

So everybody gets screwed, eh?

Don't worry, I'm sure the top-level executives will give themselves some nice golden parachutes.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

bvoid posted:

If there's a nerd computer S/SQ thread anywhere, I can post this there. I have a file server setup on my home PC (Subsonic) that is set up to run on port 4040 (so it looks like 12.34.56.78:4040). It won't load on my work PC, presumably because there's some block on opening ips with a port attached to it (it works on my phone and on a friend's network). The only way I've gotten it to work is to use port 80 (that lets me use just the ip 12.34.56.78 to connect, and it works just fine) but obviously that's not the best solution. Is there any way to trick the web address into looking like an address without a port (:4040) attached to it? I have a domain and no-ip, but everything I've tried hasn't worked.

It's not that they're blocking [IP range]:[port] notation, it's likely that they're blocking that specific port for some reason, and/or denying most uncommon ports (everything other than 25, 80, 993, 465, maybe 8080, et cetera).

To access your server from wherever it's being blocked, you either need some port redirection (e.g. port 80 on your network reroutes internally to your server's 4040) or another type of proxy.

Also, the SH/SC home networking or small questions threads would have more detailed information.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
This question is dumb as poo poo so please forgive me in advance- I've never lost a parent so I don't know protocol, but a buddy's father is expected to pass in the next 48-72 hours from cancer and he's shouldering everything- only child, father is unmarried, etc. I have absolutely no idea what to do for him, but some of our best times have been over drinks. Is liquor an appropriate sympathy gift?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

New Leaf posted:

This question is dumb as poo poo so please forgive me in advance- I've never lost a parent so I don't know protocol, but a buddy's father is expected to pass in the next 48-72 hours from cancer and he's shouldering everything- only child, father is unmarried, etc. I have absolutely no idea what to do for him, but some of our best times have been over drinks. Is liquor an appropriate sympathy gift?

Offer to get groceries, do laundry, basically take over for his life so he can focus on being with his father as much as possible over the last few days?

Other than that, your idea doesn't seem so bad, especially if you have a specific brand/drink to evoke a particularly happy memory.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Grundulum posted:

Offer to get groceries, do laundry, basically take over for his life so he can focus on being with his father as much as possible over the last few days?

Other than that, your idea doesn't seem so bad, especially if you have a specific brand/drink to evoke a particularly happy memory.

Thanks. We're also partners at work so I've been shouldering his work load since early November. He's just been working remotely when he gets time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mister Kingdom posted:

They're going to end up closing most of their expansion stores. Lots of towns have multiple Radio Shack stores for little reason, they'll be consolidated.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

New Leaf posted:

See if you can get some friends / family to bring over some tasty come cooked food that can be frozen. There is quite possibly going to be days where neither of you have the time / energy to cook and having something tasty that can easily be reheated is nice. Having someone go to the effort of cooking you up a feed is a nice low hassle way to show support too.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
If he lives somewhere that has Grubhub or Foodler or similar multi-restaurant delivery services, a gift certificate for that might be welcome.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There is a picture (which I can't find for the life of me) that is pretty internet famous. It usually pops up in cryptozoology related stuff. It's of a shirtless hispanic guy holding some monstrous looking rotten head and poking at it's jowls with a stick. it's the only one of those pictures I've seen that wasn't instantly debunked as some mangy dog or something. Does anyone know what picture I'm talking about or what the actual animal head in it is? I'm guessing some sort of large cat or a good fake.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Manslaughter posted:

A family member received a bill today. Over a thousand dollars for some online classes. She enrolled in summer and fall classes this year but dropped the summer ones a few days in and must have forgot to drop the fall ones. She never participated in those classes and tried to talk to them about this but wasn't making any progress. Is there anything she can do? Besides paying the bill of course.

If you didn't withdraw before the cutoff date I think you're SOL.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

There is a picture (which I can't find for the life of me) that is pretty internet famous. It usually pops up in cryptozoology related stuff. It's of a shirtless hispanic guy holding some monstrous looking rotten head and poking at it's jowls with a stick. it's the only one of those pictures I've seen that wasn't instantly debunked as some mangy dog or something. Does anyone know what picture I'm talking about or what the actual animal head in it is? I'm guessing some sort of large cat or a good fake.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/gruesome/chupacabra.asp

Edit: Wow. I do not understand art.

quote:

White has previously produced two magazine pictorials "Femalien" and "Demonatrix" that were published respectively in Cheri and Penthouse Comix magazines

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yup that's it! It figures it was by the guy that did those weird alien photos a while back. It's still a pretty drat good fake looking at it. It's the only one of those cryptozoology photos I've seen that didn't immediately look fake or a mislabeled animal to me.