Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post

Louisgod posted:

I still wish they would've brought back the teams that did the music in Xenoblade to do some of the music in X. Monolith basically established the best musical team ever.

Yeah, IMO the new music doesn't sound nearly as good as the ones produced by Monolith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The soundtrack won't be as good as Xenoblade IMO (I would love to be wrong) and that's because while Sawano is good, the only thing he seems to know how to do good is bombastic music. honestly it gets pretty samey (people already brought KLK and this together without knowing, so I'd say that's evidence enough).

The problem is that I've never heard an amazing low key track from him while some of the best poo poo in Xenoblade was incredibly chill music like Valak mountain. So yeah, expect great music, it's just not going to be Xenoblade great.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think Sawano sounds fine, personally. I mean, of my experience from KlK and the E3 music. It does sound the same, but I just like it I guess. The vocals are usually what I dig the most, and in Kill la Kill, they'd compliment the anime-rear end poo poo that was going down, which I fully expect to happen Xenoblade X.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Is Sawano the only one doing the music in the game? Xenoblade had three separate groups (and I think a couple guest composers, which explains the variety. X's music sounds new age and seems more in line with the Xenosaga games. The music in X isn't necessarily bad, it just seems like a huge downgrade from what Xenoblade gave us.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Xenoblade just has a ton of perfect music and if they get even one track in the same league as the main theme I'll be ecstatic. The main theme is in the running for my favorite song. Some of it is the piano and orchestra's performance as much as the composition, but it has so much sheer raw emotion it almost drives me to tears every time. The way the instruments echo and the parts layer, that slow build. It's just perfect in every way, it's the aural manifestation of melancholy yielding to hope and peace. I'm not one to cry at beautiful music but drat if that song doesn't manage it.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 27, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
As long as the mech combat theme is good I can handle a lack of variety. That feature alone may have made them adjust the budget across other areas such as music.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Xenoblade has one of the best JRPG soundtracks this side of Tales of Legendia. You're all making me sad because I'm expecting the X soundtrack to be a disappointment. :arghfist::(

Speaking of Tales games... Xenoblade is cursed. It's a game so good that it comes with the unfortunate side-effect of making other entries of the genre outrageously boring. After finishing it up I decided to fire up Tales of Vesperia, which until now I considered a Game I Could Never Get Bored Of. Most of it is just a slog to me now :negative:

Pacing was never, ever a priority in the JRPG genre. Some of the SNES-era titles were a bit faster than those on preceding consoles, but as soon as the PlayStation comes around the main focus was long dialog, fetch quests, and fancy cinematics with actually playing a game taking a back seat. Then Xenoblade comes along and shows us that pacing is still possible and important, thus turning all other JRPGs into a snore-fest.

Though the first visit to Eryth Sea is an exception and exactly the kind of poo poo they've done a good job avoiding everywhere else. gently caress Eryth Sea.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Black Stones posted:

The soundtrack won't be as good as Xenoblade IMO (I would love to be wrong) and that's because while Sawano is good, the only thing he seems to know how to do good is bombastic music.

Not true, he does good low key stuff too, it just gets lost behind the bombast.

https://soundcloud.com/heyitsflamenco/troyard

https://soundcloud.com/heyitsflamenco/ver

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sakurazuka posted:

Not true, he does good low key stuff too, it just gets lost behind the bombast.

https://soundcloud.com/heyitsflamenco/troyard

https://soundcloud.com/heyitsflamenco/ver

I won't deny those are good, but I like them a lot less than the Xenoblade stuff like Satorl Marsh at night or Valak Mountain at night. I don't know how to properly say it because music is incredibly subjective, but with those two Sawano pieces, there's some really good parts I like, like the guitar in the second track but most of it is stuff that I almost tuned out while just listening to it. Maybe there's a good chance that Sawano will mimic how Xenoblade did it's low key music and have some great stuff there, but for right now, my money would be on Xenoblade having the better soundtrack.

That said though, the Xenoblade X soundtrack will still probably be amazing than most, it's just a case of degrees of amazing really.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Xenoblade had the hypest cutscene combat theme ever, you knew some A-grade anime bullshit was about to go down when that came on

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

All the combat themes were great, and the mechon fight music had bits that were wonderfully Chrono Trigger.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
New trailer for anyone who missed the Direct:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpNXhzscjQ

April 29th in Japan, eShop version can be preloaded. Later this year for the rest of the world.

Also, Xenoblade 3D coming worldwide in April.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Game looks dope as poo poo and will be better than FFXV in every way. Gauntlet thrown!

Ioved the shot of them running and that giant worm type monster. Also when he jumped off the mountain because that's one of the first things I did in Xenoblade. "Can I jump off the Bionis?" Yes, yes you certainly can!

I'll update the OP later as I'm phone postin.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This game looks much prettier than a wii u game should

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
It looks like they're launching the Xenoblade N3DS port and Xenoblade X within a couple of weeks of each in April for Japan.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This game looks much prettier than a wii u game should

The trailer let you watch in 1080p/60 FPS. The build we saw at e3 2014 was 720p/30 FPS which will probably be what the final game plays at.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Don't get me wrong, the previous trailers were good and all but this new trailer - just seeing a party run around in a huge world - was the first one to make me think "oh poo poo Xenoblade is actually coming back." So excited.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Every day X is released in Japan and not here is a day too drat long. :(
E: and by "here" i mean everywhere else.

Factory Davey fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 14, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Sunning posted:

It looks like they're launching the Xenoblade N3DS port and Xenoblade X within a couple of weeks of each in April for Japan.

My guess is that this is to stoke the flames in anticipation of X's release. Ie, release the game to not only reinvigorate fans who might have only been on the edge of getting the sequel, but also cash in on people who A) will want a 'exclusive' title to help justify purchasing a New 3DS and B) May have heard of Shulk now thanks to Smash and want to know where he came from. Which, hopefully, would in turn widen the potential audience to grab the sequel, even if its on another console.

On the other hand, this is talking about a Japan where the 3DS is an anomaly for being what we call 'successful'.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sunning posted:

Xenoblade N3DS comes out world wide in April I believe, but early April for Japan, rest of the world later that month.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think part of the re-release, at least in America, is because the original print run was tiny and GameStop exclusive. So getting it was pretty hard, and now it won't be.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Bunch of updates on the official site: http://xenobladex.jp/

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Oh man the Nopon are back! :3:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

NTT posted:

Oh man the Nopon are back! :3:

They never left they've been in every single Xeno game.

Chu Chu was the first.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I never played Xenogears or Xenosaga so I had no idea. I thought about it, but heard that the earlier games had serious playability issues, and of course, anime boob robots with lasers coming out of the boobs really didn't appeal to me

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Quick translations of the stuff they added to the site:

Pre-story posted:

Year 2054, July.
Earth had been caught up in the battle between unknown alien civilizations.
A battle fought with weapons far surpassing Earth's level of technology.
For reasons unknown, the Earth was trampled down, the ground burnt to ash.
The United Earth Government, having detected traces of the war in the solar system in advance, launched the "Earth Mass Emigration Plan".
A fleet of interstellar colony ships were launched from Earth's major cities.
An escape from the home that had nursed life for 4.5 billion years.
However, most of the ships were shot down while breaking free Earth's gravity field, and only a few managed to escape safely.
One of them was the "White Whale".
Two years passed since they left Earth behind and journeyed into the unknown.
The White Whale had been fortunate to survive the battle raging in the Earth's solar system, but the pursuing forces of the alien civilizations finally caught up to them.
The army, certain of their deaths, fought back, and thanks to the efforts of a single hero repelled the pursuing fleet, but the White Whale sustained heavy damage to its main engines during the battle.
The now-adrift White Whale was caught in the gravity field of an unknown planet, broke apart in the atmosphere and crash-landed.
Two months have passed since then...

Elma posted:

Female commander guiding "Blade"

Team leader in the militia group "Blade".
As she is calm and collected and possesses sharp judgement and insight, she is highly respected among the members of Blade.
Back on Earth, she worked as the captain of the United Government Army Special Operations Vehicular Instruction Company (a.k.a. Doll Company).

"You shouldn't push yourself too hard. You've just woken up."

Lyn posted:

Girl genius working in Doll development

In charge of the mechanics in the militia group "Blade".
Although she's young, she's skilled in mechanical engineering and works in the development of combat robots known as "Dolls".
She has a cheerful personality and doesn't discriminate against anyone she meets.

"I'm Lynlee Coo, 13 years old. I'm a mechanic in Blade!"

Tatsu posted:

Proud Nopon living on the planet Mira

One of the Nopon encountered on the planet Mira.
Runs into the player by chance and falls under their protection (?).
Though he seems naive, innocent and airheaded, he sometimes says strangely condescending things.

"All of you have duty to protect Tatsu of the Nopon!"

Doc V fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 22, 2015

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
So if the Nopon are natives of Mira, maybe Mira is what was made when Shulk rewrote the world at the end of Xenoblade?

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Doc V posted:

Quick translations of the stuff they added to the site:
The rest of the human race who weren't on the White Whale ship were wiped out by a virulent disease contracted from a dirty telephone.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad Monolith Soft decided to honor a non-existent agreement I broke with them to only buy a Wii U when it was a Xenoblade X bundle by pushing forward at least one release date.:sweatdrop:

Gonna spoil myself silly watching Japanese footage and crying myself to sleep for not being able to drive my mech on an alien anime world.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So in theory, how tricky would it be for them to implement a cross-save system for Xenoblade 3DS so I could take my Wii save file on the go? I'm finding less and less time to play on Dolphin or my Wii U these days and now that there's a portable version on the horizon, I'd be even more interested if I could keep my one save file going.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Extremely unlikely. Wii games can't be patched, so there's no way to add that feature to the original. They COULD theoretically add it in if they ported the game to the Wii U (as in, rebuilt it as Wii U software instead of an unchanged ISO that runs in Wii mode), but there's no sign they're doing that.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Have they said who your character is? I think one of the treehouses during E3 said that you were just some random schmuck in a pod that Elma found and you can't remember your past. If that's the case, it's pretty obvious that you're single hero who pushed back the alien fleet, and I'm pretty sure that the final boss battle will be jumping in something that is related to the Doll you used to repel the alien attack (patterned after it, made using its parts, or just recovered and refurbished) and finishing the job.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
If I had to guess, you're an unnamed character that was ultimately responsible for the attacks on Earth 2 years ago and are a puppet of the alien race, strung along to lead the other characters to reveal the Secrets of New Los Angeles but you break free from your puppet prison due to your feelings for the main female character that isn't 13 and your love for the People of Earth but in the final battle with the queen alien angel you're interrupted by God and told that your universe is inside another universe and the struggles between the aliens and humans is an ongoing war since the dawn of time caused by the other universe and you have to battle God, ultimately slaying him with big numbers, and merging both universes into one, with New Earth Mira 2 as the main hub for Starfleet activity.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

All that, except God turns out to be Shulk and whoops your rear end until the music changes and Reyn pops out wearing a luchador mask and bodyslams him.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
And they completely skip the part where two universes combine after the fight with God, and just skip to a bizarre epilogue where the Starfleet is detecting a weird gold rectangle with some weird red symbols on it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The music in that trailer is great and idea of playing a colonist exploring an alien planet is such a cool idea to me, not actually sure I could get more hyped for this game (which is usually a bad sign. :v: )

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
At the very least, there is almost certainly going to be some kind of reveal that shows your nondescript character is far more than he or she seems to be, since they have the convenient excuse of you being shoved in a pod meaning that you were inactive for whatever reason for a given period of time.

As to the 'single hero' thing, I suspect that's going to be an NPC, who is either:
A) now a major political figure within Neo Los Angeles, which they may or may not entirely appreciate, since winning battles and running a city state are two different things (from the E3 trailer, there is totally a dude with long black hair who fits the senior pilot archetype)
B) for whatever reason now a puppet of whatever faction managed to pick them up at the end of previous battle.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I love the swim animations in trailer.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Doc V posted:

Bunch of updates on the official site: http://xenobladex.jp/
The faces look kinda spooky. Like, living dolls. Dollers?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
In addition to the original writing team, freelance writer, Kazuho Hyodo, is working on the script. He's known for working on the Gundam series. Takahashi said they're going for a much stronger sci-fi feel for the game

It doesn't seem like Yurie Hattori is contributing to the game. She got promoted to director at HAL Laboratory and Nintendo SPD. She was initially an editor for Xenoblade before being upgraded to a writing credit due to her contributions.

You can thank her for tightening up the script and making the romance in the game a lot less creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

"Working on the Gundam" series sounds pretty good until you check which Gundam series. "Worked on Destiny" is not really a ringing endorsement, I'm afraid.

• Locked thread