Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently due to the isolation, the concept of political correctness never reached NK:

quote:

On Saturday, the North's powerful National Defense Commission, the country's top governing body led by Kim, said that Obama was behind the release of "The Interview." It described the movie as illegal, dishonest and reactionary.

"Obama always goes reckless in words and deeds like a monkey in a tropical forest," an unidentified spokesman at the commission's Policy Department said in a statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.

It wasn't the first time North Korea has used crude insults against Obama and other top U.S. and South Korean officials. Earlier this year, the North called U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry a wolf with a "hideous" lantern jaw and South Korean President Park Geun-hye a prostitute. In May, the North's news agency published a dispatch saying Obama has the "shape of a monkey."
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/n-korea-calls-obama-monkey-in-hacking-row/ar-BBhg2Mv?ocid=iehp
:downsbravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

South Korean groups do exactly that, with balloons.

Are there any fun K-Pop songs about it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
In The Interview Franco calls Kerry an "oak tree lookin motherfucker," now this.

Kerry: :smith:

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Oh my, the Soviets/Russian had/have better insults....

"That overblown hot air balloon which used to be a condom in a Petersburg gay club!"

A drawback of isolation is that you are so disconnect that you cant properly offend others.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Mightypeon posted:

Oh my, the Soviets/Russian had/have better insults....

"That overblown hot air balloon which used to be a condom in a Petersburg gay club!"

A drawback of isolation is that you are so disconnect that you cant properly offend others.

The language of the KCNA article back in May was a bit more unequivocal:

http://kcna.co.jp/calendar/2014/05/05-02/2014-0502-020.html
http://freekorea.us/2014/05/07/really-north-korea-called-president-obama-a-wicked-black-monkey/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
North Korean propaganda has always been unabashedly racist. Calling Kerry a lantern-jawed wolf is completely consistent with the stuff that Myers quotes in The Cleanest Race.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Yeah, they do have some pretty "unique" racist concepts. Like their "inherent superiority of Korean blood" enabling to show the puny Soviet Union the proper way towards true communism.

Mind you, in Warsaw pact times, they had an important role because (post Stalin) you could make all the jokes about North Korea (while actually meaning your own leaders) you wanted without running officially afoul of the authorities. Well, in the GDR, Czecheslovakia and Moscow at least.

Any kind of Joke in Ceaucescu land was bad,

On the topic of North Korea, there are 2 different trip reports making the rounds on the web:
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/10/north-korea-travel-tourism/382101/2/
and
http://www.granta.com/Archive/127/Scavengers/1

I kind of prefer the first one, but I think both are informative.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently due to the isolation, the concept of political correctness never reached NK:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/n-korea-calls-obama-monkey-in-hacking-row/ar-BBhg2Mv?ocid=iehp
:downsbravo:

I can only imagine the insane racism that's been brewing in North Korea all these years. Lots of people there have probably never even seen a black person in real life. Just makes me feel all the worse for the folks that'll have to adjust when the curtain falls

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I can only imagine the insane racism that's been brewing in North Korea all these years. Lots of people there have probably never even seen a black person in real life. Just makes me feel all the worse for the folks that'll have to adjust when the curtain falls

They'd be right at home in South Korea.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

computer parts posted:

They'd be right at home in South Korea.

South Korea iirc has an amount of black people due to the amount of US military bases.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Actual contact with people of other races haven't stopped people from being enormously racist before though, have it?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Are a bunch of black people going to go there when the wall falls or something? It'll probably be mostly South Korean and Chinese people I imagine.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Actual contact with people of other races haven't stopped people from being enormously racist before though, have it?

It can or it can't. What's more important tends to be whether they're equal economically and politically, and (to bring this back off a tangent) it's unlikely that North Koreans will have that for many decades after NK falls.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Mightypeon posted:

South Korea iirc has an amount of black people due to the amount of US military bases.

South Korea is still an outwardly racist society. Many English schools there explicitly state a preference for white ESL teachers (who still face xenophobia in Korea).

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

TheImmigrant posted:

Many English schools there explicitly state a preference for white ESL teachers who have low BMIs, no outward defects or abnormalities, and no health impairments of any sort.

Ftfy

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

I'm disabled (wheelchair) and thought about teaching ESL, and I never even thought that'd be a disqualifier in SK or Japan. drat. Glad things worked out stateside after all...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JohnGalt posted:

TheImmigrant posted:

Many English schools there explicitly state a preference for white non-Irish [redundant?] ESL teachers who have low BMIs, no outward defects or abnormalities, and no health impairments of any sort.
Ftfy

There you go

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Woah, Koreans making GBS threads on someone else for alcoholism? Alcoholism is like a part of Korean culture.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I hate to be That Guy who just brings up Myers again and again, but in his presentations he has said that after living and working in South Korea, he finds them second-most xenophobic people behind their northern neighbours.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

dinoputz posted:

I'm disabled (wheelchair) and thought about teaching ESL, and I never even thought that'd be a disqualifier in SK or Japan. drat. Glad things worked out stateside after all...

I don't know about Japan, but I heard that Korea had issues with uninsured people with preexisting conditions using the ESL program as a way to get healthcare

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

That's true for Korean applicants too; pictures are practically always mandatory on applications and you'd better hope they think you're hot 'cause it's perceived as a pretty major factor.

i mean to be fair we've got the whole "their name sounded foreign" thing in the US and Europe but at least we try to be a little more subtle about it

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

dinoputz posted:

Korea is not very wheelchair friendly in general.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheImmigrant posted:

Korea is not very wheelchair friendly in general.

Yeah oddly enough, America has some of the best wheelchair accessibility in the world.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah oddly enough, America has some of the best wheelchair accessibility in the world.

qft

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Woah, Koreans making GBS threads on someone else for alcoholism? Alcoholism is like a part of Korean culture.

Yeah what the gently caress? Isn't heavy drinking practically a requirement to remain employed in some places?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
See, they just don't want their employees to get in trouble due to their propensity for alcoholism :3:

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Sony hack: growing doubts that North Korea was responsible

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Gonna be real embarrassing for the FBI if it comes out that that is the case.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

:laffo: if you think real consequences of any kind will ever come to an American military or police agency for any reason at all

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

icantfindaname posted:

:laffo: if you think real consequences of any kind will ever come to an American military or police agency for any reason at all

Embarassment is not a (meaningful) consequence.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I didn't see how there was any kind of convincing evidence that pointed to NK in the first place, the admin just ran with it. How embarrassing.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 11, 2017

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

My guess would be further justifying the Obama Administration's military buildup in Asia.

Edit: And if the FBI is wrong, who says this will ever reach mainstream news in the US? This never made headline news for example, and it's much bigger than the Sony hack.

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 29, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

icantfindaname posted:

I don't know man someone might have their promotion schedule slowed down or GASP! their sub-department's budget may not get a big an increase as they were expecting! :ohdear:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Gonna be real embarrassing for the FBI if it comes out that that is the case.

It never will. Experts were raising doubts about the North Korea accusation since the minute the FBI fingered them. Nothing in that article is actually new; the reason it hasn't been widely reported is because the media loves the "cyberwar" story way more than the "yet another criminal or hacktivist group". Problem is, there is never going to be 100% undeniable proof that the FBI was wrong; North Korea's denials have been handwaved away and the hackers don't seem inclined to volunteer any information about their identity or whereabouts.

Unless the actual GOP hackers are caught or an insider discovered, we'll never know for sure. And the current narrative is unlikely to go away without really solid proof of it being false, because basically everyone involved benefits somehow from blaming it on a state actor. This is particularly true for Sony, who not only managed to turn a crappy movie into a hit but also seems to have largely deflected any questions about their own security, potential responsibility, consequences for losing all that private data, and so on.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

what's so odd about being so fat you can't walk in america?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ropa posted:

what's so odd about being so fat you can't walk in america?

The fact that there's plenty of fatter countries with worse accessibility you moron?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

The fact that there's plenty of fatter countries with worse accessibility you moron?

E.g., Mexico.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I thought Mexico was the only country fatter than the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd be curious to see what kind of a source you have for plenty of countries being fatter than the US, I can't find much of anything that would suggest that there's more than one country fatter than America.