Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

Paging Burt Rutan to this thread....

I swear his designs originate as drunken bets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Tsuru posted:

Of course, which is why the big three are making GBS threads themselves because of the following up and coming new engine manufacturers with their revolutionary new design philosophies that nobody in the west has ever thought of:

Seeing as this is AI, I just need clarification about what you mean by this.

If you mean the big three of P&W, GE, and RR, then you've missed the point of what I was saying, congrats!

If you mean the big three of Detroit, please don't forget to breath, because boy you are that dumb.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Maybe you can go first by explaining exactly how I was wrong with my initial post and why it needed to be quoted "for posterity" before you get to demand any further explanation from me.

Also, I think there might be a bit of projection going on here... :allears:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Tsuru posted:

Maybe you can go first by explaining exactly how I was wrong with my initial post and why it needed to be quoted "for posterity" before you get to demand any further explanation from me.

Also, I think there might be a bit of projection going on here... :allears:

Wow, you really did mean the big three of Detroit. I meant that more as a a friendly goony jab, but if you want to get into an internet dick waiving contest, you can charge those windmills yourself.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

:golfclap:

This really needs more love.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Tsuru posted:

I find that extremely hard to believe. Not to detract from Japanese engineering, but a new engine from a new manufacturer is not going to be better than one with 40 years worth of improvements by a company with over half a century of experience.

To help prevent one of my favorite threads from delving into a string of poo poo posts, here's a serious post/answer to your response:

First: As I said before, there are multitudes of design considerations that are taken into account when designing an aircraft. Some of these considerations don't always end up with the "best" equipment or design -or what would seem the "best" on paper to a layman. Remember, aircraft design with a budget is about making compromises; some of these are to make your performance "on mission" better, some of these are so that you can have a domestic engine manufacturer producing parts for a domestically built military aircraft, so that you can keep everything inside your borders.

Second: Ask pretty much any pilot that flies over water, and in an SEIO/OEI situation, most would rather have three engines still turning than just one. This is often considered in the design phase, or in the very least, the design requirements set forth by the government that writes the contract. Considering the mission profile for ASW, I would rather four engines than two, regardless the size of the bird or the "efficiency" costs.

Third: 40 years worth of "improvements" by a company with "over half a century of experience" doesn't mean poo poo unless you can actually back that up. Often, that means buying out the upstarts with the innovative technology that could bring you down, or by subcontracting to them, because you know you need their ideas and they know they need your manufacturing base. Sometimes you subcontract both design and manufacture to a company (usually to localize or diversify your base), share some ideas, maybe license a design or two, lend some engineers to "help".

Fourth: When a government, like Japan, wants an "all domestic" bird, a big company, like GE, who has been subcontracting to a local design/manufacturing company like IHI, might not be able to get in on the gig themselves, so they'll flip the project: IHI becomes the primary contractor, GE will act as a subcontractor, or provide "technical support", so it's IHI's name on the tin, but GE's know-how on the inside. Don't discount an "upstart" because you haven't heard of them before, especially a company like IHI which has been around much longer than you might think. Especially considering that they've been in bed with GE for a while. You know, the same GE that's a 50% owner of CFMI.

Fifth: I quoted your post "for posterity" because I though it was "cute" because you seemed to take a simplistic view of what decisions go into designing an aircraft.

Lastly: The point is moot anyways, because you were talking about a "40 year old engine design" which is just that, a forty year old engine. As was already said, the CFM56-7 is not the same engine, it is not that 40 year old design. Even if we were talking about that, it wouldn't take much for a competent company (read: not Chinese) to build a modern engine that was better. Even less when you get your technical support from the company that designed said "40 year old engine" and it's replacement.

Now, let's get back to spergin' about planes.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Now, let's get back to spergin' about planes.

:stare:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Kitfox88 posted:

Four engine twin fuselage pusher/puller prop configuration someone make my nightmare dream happen. :unsmigghh:

http://www.luft46.com/junkers/ju635.html

It got as wind tunnel tests and cockpit mockups.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

PhotoKirk posted:

http://www.luft46.com/junkers/ju635.html

It got as wind tunnel tests and cockpit mockups.

I'd say that seems more suited for B&V but I realized it's not lopsided enough. Even so, :dong:

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Leaving out the the parts which have nothing to do with the engine's performance, some of which actually in agreement with what I posted earlier and some of which being self-contradictory, this is where you show how little you actually know about this industry:

YF19pilot posted:

Often, that means buying out the upstarts with the innovative technology that could bring you down

[...]

Even if we were talking about that, it wouldn't take much for a competent company (read: not Chinese) to build a modern engine that was better.
Come on man, this isn't Google buying out small startups so they can get the patents before Apple does. A turbofan engine is not an iPad. The development of a brand new large turbofan in terms of cost, or even gradually improving its technology rivals that of many countries' space programs. In fact: some of the technology GE/PW use has actually been developed jointly with NASA. You're making it sound like this is something anyone with the right mind can do, make a plucky little company out of and rake in the millions when they get bought by GE, who is quivering at the idea of you storming the marketplace with your revolutionary new design and putting them out of business.
As with the actual aircraft that they power, the physical infrastructure, skill and knowledge required takes many tens of billions over decades to develop by the world's most brilliant graduates, and are at the US and UK's respective forefronts in terms of trade secrets. Even the Russians in their heyday, still the world's premier supplier of titanium, never managed to build an engine which could hold a candle to the western models of the same period.

A turbofan engine which is an improvement in terms of efficiency and reliability over anything GE, PW and RR currently build, does not exist and is not even on the horizon. THAT is the point I was making. Nothing more, nothing less.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tsuru posted:

Leaving out the the parts which have nothing to do with the engine's performance, some of which actually in agreement with what I posted earlier and some of which being self-contradictory, this is where you show how little you actually know about this industry:
Come on man, this isn't Google buying out small startups so they can get the patents before Apple does. A turbofan engine is not an iPad. The development of a brand new large turbofan in terms of cost, or even gradually improving its technology rivals that of many countries' space programs. In fact: some of the technology GE/PW use has actually been developed jointly with NASA. You're making it sound like this is something anyone with the right mind can do, make a plucky little company out of and rake in the millions when they get bought by GE, who is quivering at the idea of you storming the marketplace with your revolutionary new design and putting them out of business.
As with the actual aircraft that they power, the physical infrastructure, skill and knowledge required takes many tens of billions over decades to develop by the world's most brilliant graduates, and are at the US and UK's respective forefronts in terms of trade secrets. Even the Russians in their heyday, still the world's premier supplier of titanium, never managed to build an engine which could hold a candle to the western models of the same period.

A turbofan engine which is an improvement in terms of efficiency and reliability over anything GE, PW and RR currently build, does not exist and is not even on the horizon. THAT is the point I was making. Nothing more, nothing less.

Not trying to be a pedantic fuckwit or anything, but sometimes I can't help it... But google and apple have got nothing on GE. They wrote the book on buying up competitors and innovative industries and making them all GE. GE is a capital company, not a manufacturer. They just buy up profitable industries and run them under their banner. It just so happens that aero engines are very profitable. If the weren't, GE would dump the whole sector.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

There's two Delta A330s just parked in the middle of the KSEA center runway (or a taxiway very close to it). They're just sitting nose to tail.

Are they parked there for lack of gate space, or is this something else?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Worthleast posted:

There's two Delta A330s just parked in the middle of the KSEA center runway (or a taxiway very close to it). They're just sitting nose to tail.

Could be a lot of things, but one could be having a technical problem or something that they're dealing with, and the one behind it can't go anywhere until the one in front gets out of the way.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Worthleast posted:

When a mommy A330 and daddy A330 love each other very much...

Sometimes though, if mommy's been unfaithful, out comes a 777.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Party's over. One just got towed away. I guess they were just parked there, but it seems like a strange place to park a widebody. There's lots of room at KSEA.

Also, Boeing Bingo. So far, 787, 777, 767, 757, 747 (cargo), 737. A lot more fun than Airbus bingo.

Edit: 330s were parked right in the middle of taxiway Tango, which is parallel to all 3 runways. Strange place to park.

Worthleast fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 26, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Tsuru posted:

Your question was "why are they using an engine from some new guy instead of a 40 year old design?" I answered that question, but you still seem to be missing the point, and bunny trailing off. The reason why I didn't hash about engine performance is because sometimes engine performance has absolutely nothing to do with why you pick one engine over another! That was my point.

Otherwise, your "ignorance" (projecting much?) is coming close, but still failing to understand how being a subcontractor works. Small companies subcontract or get bought out. A large company like IHI form "technical alliances" when they subcontract with companies like GE so they can avoid the teething years. Whether you personally feel their engine is better or not isn't the point; the point is they're a competent manufacture, backed by the knowledge from one of the big three, their engines will be "good" and not piles of poo poo just because they're a "new" company (which they're not, they've been building engines since at least 2000 and have existed as a heavy industry manufacturer in one form or another since the 1850s). Lastly, I'm sure what they produce will be on par with at least GE's current offerings, and will be better than a 40 year old engine.

And yes, sometimes companies are created for the sole purpose of being bought out.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

fffffaaaaaarrrrrttttt

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I suddenly want to see KC-135 do a F-111 style fuel dump.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tsuru posted:

fffffaaaaaarrrrrttttt

Looks like a valve on the chemtrail dispenser got stuck.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

blugu64 posted:

I suddenly want to see KC-135 do a F-111 style fuel dump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gWCq6e2PzI

Pissing it away!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

hobbesmaster posted:

Looks like a valve on the chemtrail dispenser got stuck.

:tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTw5vTJfQlI

(A380 dumps fuel while a couple of pilots in a Citation catch a glimpse).

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Was at the airport today dropping a friend off with some other friends and noticed an outside broadcast van for a tv channel on the departure road, we were wondering if they were covering some sports star or musician arriving or something but it turns out they were repoarting on Qantas last flight of a 767 which left an hour after we were there.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/12/27/14/04/qantas-boeing-767-makes-final-flight

quote:

Mr Galvin said the plane, once the workhorse of the fleet, had served passengers well but would now be sold into another carrier and flown to the US in January.

Qantas acquired the 767s in 1985, with the retiring model joining at the end of 1991. In that time, the wide body aircraft has done 86,000 flying hours.

"That's over ten-and-a-half years airborne and it's done 27,000 landings," Mr Galvin said.

"It doesn't owe us anything, that's for sure."

At one stage there were 41 Boeing 767s in the Qantas fleet. In is estimated that during that time, 168 million passengers have flown on a Qantas 767 aircraft.

"So, almost every Australian who's flown on a Qantas aeroplane would've flown on one of these particular aircraft in that time," Mr Galvin said.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

YF19pilot posted:

:tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTw5vTJfQlI

(A380 dumps fuel while a couple of pilots in a Citation catch a glimpse).

goddamn, Citations are loud

fun plane to work on, though, love the low wings and gear, makes it a breeze to get up on the fucker

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Worthleast posted:

Party's over. One just got towed away. I guess they were just parked there, but it seems like a strange place to park a widebody. There's lots of room at KSEA.

Also, Boeing Bingo. So far, 787, 777, 767, 757, 747 (cargo), 737. A lot more fun than Airbus bingo.

Edit: 330s were parked right in the middle of taxiway Tango, which is parallel to all 3 runways. Strange place to park.

There's actually not a whole lot of extra room at Seattle for parking airplanes that isn't already being used.

The south side of the field is mostly occupied by hangars for Delta and Alaska, and although there's some open room on the north side of the field, there are normally quite a few airplanes parked there, so it's pretty common for Tango to be used to park a couple of Delta widebodies on slow days.

It's pretty rare for pilots to actually use Tango as a taxiway, since most aircraft make a turn at November or Juliet after landing, and then use those taxiways to cross the center runway.

Ironically, I'm writing this from a crew room in Seattle, while waiting for a new airplane to arrive to replace one that got written up for smelling funny.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Go on, someone post the FW: FW: RE: pilot write ups and maint responses

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So, uh, I just found out that Lockheed had the audacity to offer a navalised version of the F-104 Starfighter to the US Navy in the early stages of the program. :stonkhat:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MrChips posted:

So, uh, I just found out that Lockheed had the audacity to offer a navalised version of the F-104 Starfighter to the US Navy in the early stages of the program. :stonkhat:

How the heck was that supposed to work without completely re-designing the wings and landing gear?

From what I could find, the approach speed of a F-104 was somewhere around 170kt, with a minimum speed of 150kt at touchdown, and given the landing gear and tire design, that would have been absolutely terrifying to land on a carrier.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It'll be fine, just make it a tailsitter and land vertically like the Pogo, what could go wrong? It had enough thrust*!

*At full afterburner and pretty much empty weight. A good combination.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrChips posted:

I want to see test video. :stare:

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Sounds like we may have another airliner down. http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/world/2014/12/28/AirAsia-flight-from-Indonesia-to-Singapore-missing.html

movax
Aug 30, 2008

:( A/C asked for an "unusual" route apparently, weather event, hijack, aliens? :tinfoil:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It's a 7 minute long flight according to flightaware. Not too much of an opportunity to go way out there?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

It's a 7 minute long flight according to flightaware. Not too much of an opportunity to go way out there?

I don't think flightaware is correct on that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine it was loaded with an excessive amount of fuel outside of what is needed for divert/emergency. Sounds like SAR is already being sent out and about, unlike the chucklefucks in Malaysia.

e: says they lost contact 42 mins after takeoff, it's not super short

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah flightaware's data is very inconsistent, claims previous flights were 7 minutes long and covered about 800 nmi.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah flightaware's data is very inconsistent, claims previous flights were 7 minutes long and covered about 800 nmi.

Wanna see that one take off.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol that's an average speed of almost 6900 knots

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The correspondent on CNN doesn't seem to grasp aviate, navigate, communicate -- there's a reason pilots don't immediately radio upon an unexpected event or mishap.

ACARS is still a choice these days, right? Is it optioned on every airframe, but up to the operator to pay for bandwidth?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CNN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Apparently getting on an airplane with "asia" as part of the company name is a really bad idea, since they seem to have developed a habit of crashing into seawalls, disappearing, or getting shot down over the last 18 months.

Interestingly, AirAsia is also based in Malaysia, so this has been a spectacularly awful year for airline safety in that country.