Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Must suck to be PR for an Asian airline in 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Must suck to be PR for an Asian airline in 2014.

Malaysian airline

e: would you take that job?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

T-1000 posted:

I'd like to believe this but I don't. The major parties do their best to make elections about personality and popularity rather than policy. If all the info they're going to give us is that they're honest people of good ethics, that's something they should be tested on. We can't judge them on their words (since their words are worthless) so we have to judge them on their deeds.
This is fair enough but the deeds they should be judged on are the ones that influence policy.

T-1000 posted:

And if they're a public figure, that includes their private life to some extent, if only in broad strokes. We're electing representatives partly to make value judgements on things on our behalf and hypocrisy completely undermines what little trust we have in them as people. It's like the head of the game council being charged with illegal hunting, or the saga of Troy Buswell, or all the shenannigans with Abbott's daughter getting a scholarship; if a representative's personal conduct isn't to an adequate character standard, they shouldn't be trusted with the job. Otherwise the entire institution is degraded.
I'd argue that doing something illegal (or something that probably should be illegal) is a fundamentally different issue to cheating on your wife or whatever.

Bomb-Bunny posted:

It's not a question of the quality of the policy, but it goes to the intended outcome. A man who guts public education and sends his kids to private school probably believes in universal private education, or at least making it more ubiquitous than it is. A man who does the same whilst his kids are in a selective state school cares enough to look like he supports public education, so either he's being duplicitous about his desired outcome, or he desires something different.
A man who guts public education is gutting public education irrespective of where his kids go to school.

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

open24hours posted:

A man who guts public education is gutting public education irrespective of where his kids go to school.

So you have a big old fight with him about where you cheer the public system and lose, because aspirational voters are deserting the public system (I know, I teach where their kids wind up). When you could turn around and say "why did you choose to opt out? Is public education not part of your vision for the future of our system". There's a way to justify anything if all that's defending it is singular appeal to the inherent good of the thing being attacked, if you leave individual's ideas, seen in their choices, off the table.

EDIT: Re-reading your posts I think we're not so far apart. I do agree that personal morality is off the table, and I don't think that anyone should be forced to reveal personal details as though you had something to hide if you didn't. Politicians who don't reveal personal information aren't some kind of suspect class. I disagree that it's irrelevant because often those decisions are motivated by ideology, and aspiring to private health or education is ideological, as is expecting others to do the same and work towards those ends. If you don't want to talk choosing your kids school you don't have to, and I don't want to judge people for a commitment to family privacy, but that doesn't remove the ideology of that choice. It shouldn't have to be revealed, but it is political.

open24hours posted:

This isn't much of a trump card. If anything, it would probably reinforce the views of the aspirational people deserting the public system.

I'm not looking for a trump card, if he wins, he wins, we all have to suffer that in a democracy. Politicians should commit to all their ideology, not be skirted on the easily skipped bits because they're more personal. The most passionate ideology is local.

Bomb-Bunny fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 28, 2014

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

open24hours posted:

This is true but they are so irresistibly effective and the political class so irredeemably mercenary that I can't see that a hard line here is sustainable. At least we haven't plumbed the depths of obliquely funded attack ads based on twisted half (and less) truths, there is still a sense that there is blowback for those who go beyond the pale.

Here's an interesting thought; if this happens and you stay quiet you are right. However if you do use it you will actually have a positive influence on the general level of political discourse.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Bomb-Bunny posted:

So you have a big old fight with him about where you cheer the public system and lose, because aspirational voters are deserting the public system (I know, I teach where their kids wind up). When you could turn around and say "why did you choose to opt out? Is public education not part of your vision for the future of our system". There's a way to justify anything if all that's defending it is singular appeal to the inherent good of the thing being attacked, if you leave individual's ideas, seen in their choices, off the table.

This isn't much of a trump card. If anything, it would probably reinforce the views of the aspirational people deserting the public system.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
JBP Jr. has been popping up for years connected to different places and parties.

I think his name is pretty much electorate whack-a-mole.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I don't think Palmer's pool of money could get him over the line. Joh's legacy has been almost buried in comparison to the charisma Beattie left in people's hearts.

All QLD Politicians suck rear end but I hear Beattie way more and the only time Joh is ever brought up is in conversation pieces about Police corruption or comedy sketches.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-eKk2bsK08

Anidav fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 28, 2014

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

I don't think Palmer's pool of money could get him over the line. Joh's legacy has been almost buried in comparison to the charisma Beattie left in people's hearts.

All QLD Politicians suck rear end but I hear Beattie way more and the only time Joh is ever brought up is in conversation pieces about Police corruption or comedy sketches.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-eKk2bsK08

Don't you worry about that.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

CrazyTolradi posted:

Post-Christmas/Boxing Day Brisgoon Meet

Time: 28th of December, Sunday. 6pm
Location: Jackpot Dining, 55 Elizabeth Street, Brisbane QLD, booking is under the name Auspol

Once again, it's time for Brisgoons to meet and gather to discuss the issues in our lives, such as Anidav's job/Young Labor woes or how to survive living in the worst loving state in Australia (except for SA, because Christopher Pyne) as well as ponder on how hosed we are for the year ahead (at least those of us who are uni students or trying to gain work *coughAnidavcough*). Since the venue is in a central location, there should be no transport woes for anyone (bar another gently caress-off storm forcing QR and BT to shut down services).

Can we get a head count on this?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Probably me provided I don't get hanged.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

Can we get a head count on this?

IDEK. Going off last time's numbers, 10-14. Depends on how many people are away for christmas/new years.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Anidav posted:

Harangued. They said you'd be harangued.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

They're all the same, these different people.

Moralitygate: some pretty stupid arguments here. Is it too hard to grasp that if you use morality as a means to reinforce your power imbalance, it's going to be challenged? If you're going to trumpet group morality as an ideology, you're going to look silly when you try to make individual exceptions. It doesn't matter how it is, it's about how it looks. Yes, it's unfair, get over it. The genie's been out of the bottle for decades and no amount of should will change it. Practically, politics involves blackmail and nuclear-option threats on all sides; sooner or later someone will run out of weapons and set off world war three. If it wasn't for our robust defamation law, there would be a lot more blood on the carpet and a surprisingly less hypocritical debate. But the hypocrisy is still there and is not forgotten.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

Harangued. They said you'd be harangued.

Can't I have one night without being lectured? Being unemployed for being in Brisbane is enough of a toll on my self-esteem, thanks.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

open24hours posted:

Whether someone sends their children to private school has no bearing on the quality of the education they receive.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

Can't I have one night without being lectured? Being unemployed for being in Brisbane is enough of a toll on my self-esteem, thanks.

You know what's bad for self esteem? Being a child locked in detention.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You should write to Canberra about it, not make some random idiot paranoid about going to some dinner.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav posted:

You should write to Canberra about it, not make some random idiot paranoid about going to some dinner.

What if I wrote to Canberra and made idiots there feel paranoid about eating dinner?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Gorilla Salad posted:

More on the raw milk saga. Thankfully it's good news if you into children not being fed toxic poo poo by their ignorant parents.

Raw milk producers to be forced to make their product unpalatable under new Victorian regulations

I don't know about anyone else, but now I want to try whatever this bittering agent is. Sounds like fun.

But not in raw milk, though. That would be stupid.

Something had to be done, its probably not the best way to do it though because now there'll be a heap of totally unregulated farmgate sales of unpasteurisd milk at weird hippy BD/organic dairies of which there are plenty. They'd have been better off allowing people to drink or make yoghurt out of raw milk as long as each batch underwent a battery of tests for microbial contamination.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

We have arrived at jackpot. Cartoon is here :)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Mithranderp posted:

We have arrived at jackpot. Cartoon is here :)

Tell Cartoon I am sad I can not meet him to get ideas for my parents' own composting toilet setup. They are so far the only people I've explained The Grid to who have not responded with "Ew why would you want to do that" but with "You know, that sounds like a good idea for an upgrade".

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
An upgrade from what??

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Palmersaurus posted:

An upgrade from what??

To be honest I didn't dare to ask what their current setup is...

e: though last I checked it was literally a hole in the ground with a big ol' bucket of "toilet mulch" next to the seat.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Palmersaurus posted:

An upgrade from what??

Just laying it down on the lawn in a random haphazard fashion.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Palmersaurus posted:

An upgrade from what??

Buddhist spiral path. Very zen but it can't hope to match the efficiency of The Grid.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
This thread needs more friendlyjordies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-tF6JTSPDc

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
There's a Gina Reinhardt biopic?! What the gently caress?! If this paints her in anything resembling a sympathetic light I'm going to poo poo on my local 9 production office's step everyday for a year.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Lizard Combatant posted:

There's a Gina Reinhardt biopic?! What the gently caress?! If this paints her in anything resembling a sympathetic light I'm going to poo poo on my local 9 production office's step everyday for a year.

Of course it will, because otherwise it would've been sued into nonexistence.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Ler posted:

This thread needs more friendlyjordies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-tF6JTSPDc

I unironically would go to Falls if I could grow a mo that could talk.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Free to air Grid

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

It's 7 pm and no Anidav.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I'm too scared now. Enjoy your dinner.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav, everyone mocks the "change from within!!!" cry, but goons are generally a friendly bunch. You should give a goonmeet a try.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I've been to plenty. I just don't want to go to the current ones because everyone thinks I'm an evil shitposter who locks up brown children, enjoys exploitative employers and high fives Kevin Rudd on a daily basis. I would rather silently improve myself then show up to one when I've sorted out all my problems that I post about.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

I've been to plenty. I just don't want to go to the current ones because everyone thinks I'm an evil shitposter who locks up brown children, enjoys exploitative employers and high fives Kevin Rudd on a daily basis. I would rather silently improve myself then show up to one when I've sorted out all my problems that I post about.

Dude. you're totally welcome, and if you don't Fruity Gordo will kill you Irl.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Anidav posted:

I would rather silently improve myself then show up to one when I've sorted out all my problems that I post about.
Change from within. By the way, I will offer to pay for your Greens membership if you sign up before the Queensland state election and hand out for the Greens on polling day.

To be fair though, some of the recent posts containing personal attacks is drawing parallels with radicalisation of individuals. It might feel good at the time throwing down truthbombs but just remember that we're no longer just faceless goons on here.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
No duck? What is this. :eyepop:

See you next time goons! Make sure to post when we are goin for another outing.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Yeah, the rest of Australia would be laughing. Bananas and Rum alone won't save the state's economy.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Nuclear Spy posted:

Change from within. By the way, I will offer to pay for your Greens membership if you sign up before the Queensland state election and hand out for the Greens on polling day.

It's tough, I promised Kate Jones in person to help out and since telling people that I feel like resigning, I get phone calls checking on me on a by-daily basis. I want to quit but I am not sure I want to run into the arms of any other political party afterwards.

I would rather get a job that loves me first, then I can build up the confidence and youthful spark again which made me join the ALP in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Systematic posted:

Bananas and Rum alone won't save the state's economy.

After numerous simulations in Tropico, I can confirm that you are wrong.

• Locked thread