Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I really wish Sony would release the controllers at least as a retail product. I could care less about the system but I want one of those swank looking controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

For every limited edition product, you can bet at least half of the purchasers are scalpers. Just go scan through the amiibo thread for stories of manchildren hoarding entire Captain Falcon figure stocks at Targets to pawn them off later.

This is one of the things I really like about digital-only games: this bullshit more or less ceases to be a problem (unless the system is super-dumb like GFWL). Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies and numerous other games would probably be a rare-as-gently caress game now and selling for stupid money if it was only available on cartridge.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Go fast, jump-bash enemies, go fast some more

You're playing it wrong :colbert:

Sonic is about momentum, not speed, and that's why 1 and CD are the best Sonics. (except wacky workbench)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I thought you guys might want another traumatic flashback...

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

King Vidiot posted:

To nobody's surprise, countless shitheads are reselling their just-arrived, still-sealed PS4 Anniversary Edition consoles on eBay for over twice the order price.

Hey, here's one for five times the price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Playstation-4-20th-Anniversary-Edition-PS4-IN-HAND-LOOK-NOW-/171616379221?pt=Video_Games&hash=item27f5222155

gently caress scalpers, goddamn.

It's never going to be more valuable than right now so might as well sell it. At least the US had a CHANCE to order them regularly, here in Europe they're only available through competitions and sweepstakes.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Only Shallow posted:

You're playing it wrong :colbert:

Sonic is about momentum, not speed, and that's why 1 and CD are the best Sonics. (except wacky workbench)

thank you

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sonic CD is objectively superior because Sega believed that a '90s techno soundtrack was too advanced for American mores.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Sonic CD is objectively superior because Sega believed that a '90s techno soundtrack was too advanced for American mores.

This is still the most bizarre thing to me, because it's not like that didn't take off in the 90s here too.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ChaosArgate posted:

For every limited edition product, you can bet at least half of the purchasers are scalpers. Just go scan through the amiibo thread for stories of manchildren hoarding entire Captain Falcon figure stocks at Targets to pawn them off later.

Please tell me the goons are encountering the manchildren, and are not actually the manchildren buying all the dolls.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The only good Sonic game is Sonic The Fighters.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
Hey fellow :retrogames:, I hear some of you like arcade games so since I'm reorganizing I thought I'd share my collection. Sorry for the shoddy photo quality but there's no real way for me to get great lighting right now. See if you can notice the trend in the types of games I go for.

I'll start with the oldest game in my collection, Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja. One of the most memorable games from my early youth, I ate up cheesy simple stories like this. I also have the manual that goes with this (not pictured), but its in fairly ratty condition.

Next, the Sega ST-V motherboard along with the only ST-V cart I care to own, Die Hard!

While we are on cart-based arcade systems, my MVS collection. Sengoku 3 has the box and Metal Slug 4 is complete, but I didn't include that stuff in the photo.

People who know me well might know that I am a pretty big hater on Konami's arcade beatemups, but Vendetta is a definite exception to that rule. This is the 4p world version, since the only 4p versions of the game are the world version, but censor out some of the more....colorful enemies.

And here's KaGeKi. The cheapest board I've ever bought by a huge margin. How cheap exactly? Shipping was significantly over half the cost of acquiring this board, and shipping was less than $10. This games pretty bad, and is my only board that requires a vertical monitor setup, so it mostly goes unplayed.

By far the rarest game I own, Riding Fight by Taito. This is the only copy I've ever even seen for sale (although admittedly I don't really look anymore)

Another super rare board, Ninja Baseball Bat Man!.... sort of. My understanding is that this board is a Korean Special, which are semi-legit boards produced at a lower cost than the normal boards for distribution in Korea. By far the sketchiest board that I own because of that, but it still plays nice. The video output was also pretty dull, which I guess is pretty common on these, so a friend added a signal amplifier to brighten it up.

Finally, the Capcom stuff. Capcom had some pretty great arcade stuff back in the day so I have a bit of it.

I'll start up with the oldest, Street Fighter 2: Hyper Fighting. Not my favorite iteration of SF2, it was actually mislabeled as being World Warrior so I got a pretty nice deal on it.

Then onto CPS2, Vampire Savior (B board only for this one)

And one of many peoples favorite brawlers, Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow over Mystara. A+B board on this one. Not actually a personal favorite genre, but I happened to catch a local seller.

Plus, its the revision 1 board, which means I can mess with it to do fun garbage like this:

Last up is probably my personal favorite game, Alien Vs. Predator. This particular board is an Asia region A+B with the infamous CPS2 suicide battery removed and pheonixed to the US version roms. I actually bought this board before I even had the ability to play it.

The fact that it was pheonixed started to bother me, though. How much?

:retrogames:

MURPHAGATOR! fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 28, 2014

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

By far the rarest game I own, Riding Fight by Taito. This is the only copy I've ever even seen for sale (although admittedly I don't really look anymore)

:awesome:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Allen Wren posted:

Please tell me the goons are encountering the manchildren, and are not actually the manchildren buying all the dolls.

Some are, some are getting stories from disgruntled retail workers, I haven't really spotted too many goon hoarders in that thread. Probably because they'd all get dogpiled by disgruntled goons who couldn't get a Captain Falcon/Marth/Villager/etc.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ChaosArgate posted:

Some are, some are getting stories from disgruntled retail workers, I haven't really spotted too many goon hoarders in that thread. Probably because they'd all get dogpiled by disgruntled goons who couldn't get a Captain Falcon/Marth/Villager/etc.

That is exactly why I didn't even bother with the whole Amiibo thing. I knew the characters I would like to have would get picked up by scalpers and it would be a giant pain in the rear end all the way around. I already have to deal with enough of that with Hasbro.

You would think that Nintendo would put all of the characters up for order on Nintendo.com and then do batches of them every couple of weeks. I mean it isn't like they cost much to produce.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

I'll start with the oldest game in my collection, Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja. One of the most memorable games from my early youth, I ate up cheesy simple stories like this. I also have the manual that goes with this (not pictured), but its in fairly ratty condition.

I know it's not a very good game, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the arcade version of Bad Dudes. I used to be able to get to the final stage on one credit...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Random Stranger posted:

What did Sonic 3 bring to the table? Another chaos emerald minigame which was the easiest of all of them

Come on now, Sonic 3 has a great deal of flaws but Blue Sphere is unquestionably the best Chaos Emerald minigame.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I've seen some of those elsewhere before but it's a nice collection nonetheless. I've thought about getting into cart-based boards at some point but there isn't a whole lot on any one particular platform that I'm itching to grab.

I posted some boards a while back but I may as well show the more recent acquisitions.

Crime City by Taito. A fairly standard run 'n gun for the most part, except you can somersault yourself through enemies to kill them. Kinda interesting to note that as with the Ninja Gaiden board I posted previously, this board was also having constant input issues with my stick plugged in. As it turns out, I had forgotten to wire the +5V from the DB15 cable to that in my stick. After that, both boards have been running perfectly.

Rollergames by Konami. I played the NES version in my youth but this version is much closer to the original product. Basically it's a timed on-rails beat 'em up. There's a couple neat moves you can pull on your opponents like suplexes and giant swings, while on rollerskates. Fun in short bursts but single-player is brutal as hell.

Task Force Harrier by UPL. An archetypical shmup but it has a grunginess to it that I somehow dig. There's a funny story with this one too. I ordered it on ebay several months ago. Seller posted a tracking number but it never updated. Weeks went by, never arrived and I had ebay refund me. Apparently so did other buyers cause his reg got bombed to hell and the account unactivated. Then a couple weeks ago, I get home from work one day and there's a random box on my doorstep with a recent posting date. Not sure what was up at first but hey, board works, can't complain all that much now.

I have a couple other boards on the way but after that I'm cooling my jets on arcade stuff for a long while. There's a small hitlist of boards I really really want but they don't pop up too often, at least from sources I'd consider more trustable than ebay.

...you know you live in a sad world when the cheapest you can find a board for is from STV of all people :sigh:

E: While on arcade stuff, recently I took to speedrunning arcade Robocop on my board and managed to get a time I'm satisified with: http://www.twitch.tv/iastsa/c/5752248

iastudent fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 28, 2014

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Perhaps I missed it earlier in the thread, but what's the best way to get arcade boards output to a modern TV? I see very few Superguns on eBay, and while I have an MVS board and power supply, I would like the ability to swap boards out rather than looking at consolizing the board.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Has anyone built a arcade box for their gaming?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

d34dm34t posted:

Turns out teenage me was an idiot because, despite having been stuck in a damp loft for nearly two decades, it worked perfectly after a quick cleanup of the battery contacts.
Yeah these stories are awesome. I had the same thing happen and I'm so glad I didn't chuck anything. Here is my red DMG Gameboy from the 90s with all the games I bought and traded for in working condition.

However, it's upsetting to remember that a kid in the 6th grade stole my Belmont's Revenge and Tetris. I need to hunt him down and kick his rear end. :argh:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So as a Christmas present to myself I bought the French version of the Hyrule Historia book. Since it's a different publisher from the English there are some slight differences, not in the content but in the manufacturing process of the book; the outer cover is more of an uneven leathery-type cover (while the English has a smooth surface) and the paper is a different thickness so the book is actually thinner than the English one (this is a really common thing that happens with Manga, which is really annoying because the paper becomes so thin it's see-through if there's light behind the page so you get double-vision from seeing the other side of the page).

It's otherwise pretty much identical to the English, even down to the fonts used for each thing.

And since I'm a fan of weird legal issues which complicate perpetual releases I stumbled across a French Disney fansite, which went into the history of the many dubs (Snow White has had three French dubs, in 1938, 1962 and 2001, respectively) and really weird issues which caused them to keep redoing it (the last one is my favorite: the actress who played Snow White in the '62 dub wasn't getting royalties from the home video releases, sued Disney, won, and then out of spite Disney re-did the dubs for every movie she was involved in so they wouldn't have to pay her, of which there were a few). Earthbound is worth hundreds of dollars on cart because we are a planet of petty and stupid apes, pretty much.

univbee fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 28, 2014

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

flyboi posted:

Feeling apprehensive about opening the PS4 it's shrink-wrapped.

Congrats on getting the anniversary PS4. I think I'll wait for the inevitable PS4 slim before getting one.. I'm jealous though.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
I just re-discovered General Chaos. What a good Genesis game. Too bad they never made a sequel. I loved having a full squad of machine gunners and taking out everyone.

My only complaint is the game was too early and too short.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Vrikkian posted:

I just re-discovered General Chaos. What a good Genesis game. Too bad they never made a sequel. I loved having a full squad of machine gunners and taking out everyone.

That use to be one of my favorite games.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Always play as the two man squad to get full control.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Alone out numbered and loving every minute of it

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
After Burner Climax is still on Euro PSN and very satisfying and fun, easy to 100%, well worth the money. If my rig behaves I'll get some 60fps youtube of it done.
(Bought a fresh PS3 yesterday to make the wait for Bloodborne easier)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 28, 2014

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So, having purchased a 32X cable for MD2, I am now waiting for the actual system to get here.

I have a question now about Super Famicoms. I found this guy that modded a Japanese system for 50/60 Hz, compatibility with Euro and Jap games, and some other stuff. Problem is that he doesn't provide an AC adapter. When inquired about he said I could use an European Mega Drive one, which seemed odd. I have a bunch of those around, but they only do 230v / 50Hz, a voltage I can't imagine being compatible with a Japanese system. Is the seller right or full of poo poo?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Saoshyant posted:

I have a question now about Super Famicoms. I found this guy that modded a Japanese system for 50/60 Hz, compatibility with Euro and Jap games, and some other stuff. Problem is that he doesn't provide an AC adapter. When inquired about he said I could use an European Mega Drive one, which seemed odd. I have a bunch of those around, but they only do 230v / 50Hz, a voltage I can't imagine being compatible with a Japanese system. Is the seller right or full of poo poo?

It's no problem, center negative polarity, DC 9v (I think?), 850mA or more and you're set even if you take it up on the ISS.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Saoshyant posted:

So, having purchased a 32X cable for MD2, I am now waiting for the actual system to get here.

AC adapters convert the power to DC with a few rare exceptions like US NES and old Atari systems. So long as the power fed into the system matches the desired power supply specs the starting mains source doesn't matter.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Vrikkian posted:

The main guy behind that game tried to kickstart a spiritual successor but I don't think it succeeded. I wanna say he was pitching it as a cocktail arcade game with an iOS port as a stretch goal or something, which would explain why it flopped.

EDIT: looked it up https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/388449021/general-chaos-ii-sons-of-chaos

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 28, 2014

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The main guy behind that game tried to kickstart a spiritual successor but I don't think it succeeded. I wanna say he was pitching it as a cocktail arcade game with an iOS port as a stretch goal or something, which would explain why it flopped.

EDIT: looked it up https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/388449021/general-chaos-ii-sons-of-chaos

It's a same this didn't succeed.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The game wasn't well known enough to have the nostalgia. The only reason why I rented it way back when at Blockbuster was because I was tired of renting Sonic 2 and wanted to try something different.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Vrikkian posted:

The game wasn't well known enough to have the nostalgia. The only reason why I rented it way back when at Blockbuster was because I was tired of renting Sonic 2 and wanted to try something different.

Ya the first time I rented it, it was just a shot in the dark. I had never heard of it and gave it a shot. But it was great.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I remember renting General Chaos a few times and it being one of the few games that lived up to the back cover.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Housh posted:

I remember renting General Chaos a few times and it being one of the few games that lived up to the back cover.

That was always a huge problem. the back covers always looked so good. then you play and the games were crap.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Tyson Tomko posted:

Congrats on having your life blessed with one of the coolest games ever, twice! *Eats a root beer jellybean and rockets away*

Way late responding to this, but I'd forgotten how much of this game is just falling down a hole and dying.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Are there any good Genesis to USB adapters out there?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Smoking Crow posted:

Are there any good Genesis to USB adapters out there?

Sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

I would love to find a USB sega controler. I don't like adapters.

• Locked thread