Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
I recently got DW8 on Steam. Never played this series or anyhting like it before. I just bought it, because I want to read the novel "Romance of the Three kingdoms" and it might be good to get some picures for all these numerous names.
Oh boy, this game is a blast. Time flies by!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Ryoji posted:

I recently got DW8 on Steam. Never played this series or anyhting like it before. I just bought it, because I want to read the novel "Romance of the Three kingdoms" and it might be good to get some picures for all these numerous names.

80% of the supporting cast in Romance of the Three Kingdoms has grey hair and weird silver eyes, just remember.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Is it possible to look up character bios in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate?
I looked in the gallery but I couldn't find it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

scissorman posted:

Is it possible to look up character bios in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate?
I looked in the gallery but I couldn't find it.
No bios, unfortunately. The Orochi series is not friendly to people new to DW/SW.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Samurai Sanders posted:

No bios, unfortunately. The Orochi series is not friendly to people new to DW/SW.

That's kind of lovely.
I'm somewhat familiar with the major names and I played DW Next and SW Chronicles but I think everyone who's not a super serious fan of these games will need at least a refresher now and then.
Especially since the Orochi series seems to have its own mythology and being able to look up who did what and what the relations between these characters are would be really useful.

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
How is the Empire spin off? I don't find a lot of information on this one, but it sounds great!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

scissorman posted:

That's kind of lovely.
I'm somewhat familiar with the major names and I played DW Next and SW Chronicles but I think everyone who's not a super serious fan of these games will need at least a refresher now and then.
Especially since the Orochi series seems to have its own mythology and being able to look up who did what and what the relations between these characters are would be really useful.
Just go to the Koei Wiki.

Of course, having an in-game encyclopedia would be great, so I can understand that criticism, but the information exists online anyway.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

scissorman posted:

That's kind of lovely.

I don't know what I find funnier, Sima Shi's character being reduced to ":byodood: MEATBUNS!!" or Ma Chao gnashing his teeth wanting to get revenge on Cao Cao when Ma Teng is right loving there.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks to a ChinaSMACK article that had it, here's Zhang Fei at Changban on an excavator.

Ryoji posted:

Check out the 2010 TV series Three Kingdoms while you're at it on YouTube! Goons have raved about it... in contrast to the 1994 series.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Chortles posted:

Thanks to a ChinaSMACK article that had it, here's Zhang Fei at Changban on an excavator.
Check out the 2010 TV series Three Kingdoms while you're at it on YouTube! Goons have raved about it... in contrast to the 1994 series.

I remember some good pictures coming from the TVIV thread for the show and I'd link them but I'm phone posting! Gonna second the raved about it comment though, because yeah it's pretty good!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

The GIG posted:

The most amazing Warriors game has now been partially translated.

Pro click right here.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I got Shin Gundam Musou in Chinese, which is about $20 cheaper than the Japanese version. But I know next to nothing about Chinese, so...

When I upgrade plans, there are 5 options that consume different materials. What are they?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ryoji posted:

How is the Empire spin off? I don't find a lot of information on this one, but it sounds great!

Empires is it's own very special thing. There's a lot more options to it, there's map control, recruiting officers, raising your friendship levels and stuff with famous guys and all sorts of strategy stuff like that.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I got DW8 on the Steam Sale, found Lu Bu in one of my first trips in Ambition mode and have been whacking people by the thousands and generally having a blast. In fact, I've just barely touched the Story and Free modes.

Problem is, I've just finished the first part of the Ambition Mode and the rate of recruitable characters has dropped to basically 0, with most of the minor (Fame and Materials) battles having none and the big ones having 1, maybe 2 named characters. Most of my recruits have come from the barracks, and I'm yet to find a playable officer in Ambition 2.0. I've made a couple of 6-7 battle chains and there are no Duel maps, either.

I read somewhere that characters are tied to certain locations, but I'm not sure whether they mean pre- or post- Extreme version, and whether it means that I have to do Subjugation battles or just normal ones once I have the map unlocked. Am I missing something?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Yardbomb posted:

Empires is it's own very special thing. There's a lot more options to it, there's map control, recruiting officers, raising your friendship levels and stuff with famous guys and all sorts of strategy stuff like that.

Combat is also balanced differently. You'll still be re-enacting the lawnmower scene from Dead Alive, but it takes a little more thinking. On the plus side your allies can actually get poo poo done.

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I got DW8 on the Steam Sale, found Lu Bu in one of my first trips in Ambition mode and have been whacking people by the thousands and generally having a blast. In fact, I've just barely touched the Story and Free modes.

Problem is, I've just finished the first part of the Ambition Mode and the rate of recruitable characters has dropped to basically 0, with most of the minor (Fame and Materials) battles having none and the big ones having 1, maybe 2 named characters. Most of my recruits have come from the barracks, and I'm yet to find a playable officer in Ambition 2.0. I've made a couple of 6-7 battle chains and there are no Duel maps, either.

I read somewhere that characters are tied to certain locations, but I'm not sure whether they mean pre- or post- Extreme version, and whether it means that I have to do Subjugation battles or just normal ones once I have the map unlocked. Am I missing something?

You should talk to the Minister instead of going to the Gate to conquer land and recruit some people. This is a big difference after the first part of the Ambition Mode. I was also confused.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
DW8 Empires delayed in NA until February.

No reason given, just a delay.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

For some reason I saw this release date on wiki (and wikia) articles well before this article came out.

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
I am looking forward to Empires! :) The ambition mode in DW8XL isn't as meaty as this one.

Please share some links for more media about the Three kingdoms stuff (tv shows, good movies...) :) Thanks

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Ryoji posted:

Please share some links for more media about the Three kingdoms stuff (tv shows
DONE and DONE!

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012

Thanks, you are awesome!

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
SW4-II Story Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Y-qKQxkr8

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

that better not be full price and it should have a magoichi saika story mode

also hot spring cutscene :mrgw:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Davincie posted:

that better not be full price and it should have a magoichi saika story mode

KOEI NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :negative:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Don't forget the costume DLC!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
is that recently linked youtube playlist of the three kingdoms good? I'm inclined to watch it when I'm bored

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sefal posted:

is that recently linked youtube playlist of the three kingdoms good? I'm inclined to watch it when I'm bored

It's very good.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Sefal posted:

It's worth it just to see Cao Cao make a total fool out of Yuan Shao. The entire build-up, the reveal, is glorious.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They should really rename it to Cao Cao and friend's rad adventures because outside of him and later Sima Yi, it drags on in parts. Even Lu Bu is more interesting than a majority of Shu/Wu scenes, especially in the last quarter of the show.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Morter posted:

It's worth it just to see Cao Cao make a total fool out of Yuan Shao. The entire build-up, the reveal, is glorious.

I'm Sold

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Most of the Shu and Wu scenes really drag, especially the endless debates about Jingzhou. Zhang Fei and Pang Tong are hillarious and quite refreshing, however.

The main draw is obviously the Wei stuff. Cao Cao is basically the main character for the first third or so of the show, and the last third is all about Sima Yi. They're both great characters, and Cao Pi and his attempts at scheming and winning his father's favour are quite fun to watch too.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Morter posted:

He's just so happy at the end of the scene. :allears:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Davincie posted:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Don't forget the costume DLC!

The Warriors franchise finally gets good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is SW4-2 going to be identical to the first one gameplay-wise, or what?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Brony Hunter posted:

Most of the Shu and Wu scenes really drag, especially the endless debates about Jingzhou. Zhang Fei and Pang Tong are hillarious and quite refreshing, however.

The main draw is obviously the Wei stuff. Cao Cao is basically the main character for the first third or so of the show, and the last third is all about Sima Yi. They're both great characters, and Cao Pi and his attempts at scheming and winning his father's favour are quite fun to watch too.

Does Sima Yi at all ham it up, or is enjoyable? Or is he an insufferable villain like most dramas make him out to be? I actually stopped about halfway through the series, but I'll gladly pick it up again!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sima Yi is a cool, chill dude that's basically Cao Cao 2.0 of the show.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is SW4-2 going to be identical to the first one gameplay-wise, or what?

Probably, since it's basically an XL expansion only they're not allowed to do those any more because Capcom.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably, since it's basically an XL expansion only they're not allowed to do those any more because Capcom.
Is that seriously confirmed or just some rumor?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah, Capcom are seriously attempting to sue them because they seem to think they patented expansion packs or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Koei actually made a statement saying something to the effect of "They don't have a leg to stand on with this, so we're not worried."