Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

IronicDongz posted:

I just had like 10 really really good, close matches against someone, and then my router shat itself and I'll probably never find them again :(

IronicDongz posted:

I just had like 10 really really good, close matches against someone, and then my router shat itself and I'll probably never find them again :(

Doesn't the wii u have "players met"? I used that to friend someone from bayonetta 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Do you play Zelda by any chance

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

My For Glory matches are usually pretty smooth with the ethernet thing plugged in but whenever I play on Luigi's Mansion I get weird input lag, but only on that one map, then on the next map I'm fine.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Do most usb-Ethernet adapters work or do I need a nintendo certified one? Lag sucks and I want to kill it

E: also please please please nerf dodging and shields Sakurai it gets old knowing I'd be doing better if I just let my opponent approach me when we're roughly evenly matched

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 27, 2014

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Do most usb-Ethernet adapters work or do I need a nintendo certified one? Lag sucks and I want to kill it

The one we got is a generic third-party thing from Amazon and it works fine but it is specifically designed for the Wii U. This being a Nintendo console though, it didn't just work by plugging it in, I had to delete the wifi connection profile to the router so it wouldn't choose that signal over the ethernet, because it doesn't prioritize the better connection. You have to make a separate connection profile for the ethernet port, it's goofy but it works.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheKingofSprings posted:

Do you play Zelda by any chance
Nah, Marth mostly.

Also I just had like 5 matches against this guy who was only playing as Robin/Lil Mac, and I swear to god I shield broke him at least twice every single match. Once like 5 times.
Don't block the sparkley-stab move, guy. Prior experience indicates that it won't work out for you.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hahahah, I'm on the exact same situation. I think I might use my first Golden Hammer on this, because holy poo poo this is completely impossible. Even if I get the Metroid, it's far more likely the AI will get to it first considering I'm at the mercy of a die roll. Screw that poo poo.

Just use four controllers.

Theta Zero posted:

Trophy Rush as the character or Crazy Orders as the character and also selecting their emblem for the mission rewards.

The emblem doesn't matter so much as the little hammer on the lower right corner of the banner, as long as you select Orders with the tiny hammer icon you'll ALWAYS get some sort of custom move, badge or outfit. Though, since the drop rates are so loving skewed you'll still be poopsocking it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Sire Oblivion posted:

The emblem doesn't matter so much as the little hammer on the lower right corner of the banner, as long as you select Orders with the tiny hammer icon you'll ALWAYS get some sort of custom move, badge or outfit. Though, since the drop rates are so loving skewed you'll still be poopsocking it.

What? The hammer in the bottom right corner in crazy orders means there's items on in the match.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

If the emblem isn't gold or a CD you always get a move, badge, or outfit. The emblem just determines which character it's going to be for. Exclusively picking tiny hammers means you're going to get hosed over by someone picking up a hammer or one of those bullshit "gonna carry you off the top of the map and you can't do poo poo about it" items.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Just got this for Christmas and I need some people to play with. I'm pretty terrible though, dunno what the average Goon level of skill is here.

NNID is Bladethegreat

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
My first custom stage, The USS Smashprise:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Apple Jax posted:

My god, it's beautiful :aaa:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Apple Jax posted:

whats your nnid so I can steal this when sharing customs is a thing

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Apple Jax posted:

I love this

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Maybe its my timezone but so many Diddy Kong and Luigi. Some of the people I run into on For Glory are just VGBootCamp copycats.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Probably a dumb question right here, but hopefully y'all can help. Been playing with friends and for some reason when I'm hosting, I can't turn on voice chat. The button to turn it on or off is greyed out and it makes that "uh-uh" buzzer noise when you try pushing it. It works fine when one of them is hosting, however. Thanks in advance!

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Are you using a controller that doesn't have a mic?

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I'm using the Wii U tablet. It works fine unless I'm hosting. When someone else is hosting and it's turned on I can hear them and they can hear me.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Why is it that shields are so good in this version? It doesn't feel like anything fundamental has changed with them really. Do aerial attacks have less shield-knockback that throws are easy to follow up with? Do the shields protect more against clipping in this one? Honestly cant make heads or tails of what made shields so annoyingly good.

Unrelated: Is there any decent way to edge guard characters with teleport recoveries (Zelda, Palutena, Shiek in particular)? Whenever I fight them I can go out and try to finish them, but that rarely ever feels like it works out, especially since shieks in particular has a hitbox around it.

VVVVVV Shiiiiiieeeetttttt. That'll do it I guess.

Waverhouse fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 28, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waverhouse posted:

Why is it that shields are so good in this version? It doesn't feel like anything fundamental has changed with them really. Do aerial attacks have less shield-knockback that throws are easy to follow up with? Do the shields protect more against clipping in this one? Honestly cant make heads or tails of what made shields so annoyingly good.

Unrelated: Is there any decent way to edge guard characters with teleport recoveries (Zelda, Palutena, Shiek in particular)? Whenever I fight them I can go out and try to finish them, but that rarely ever feels like it works out, especially since shieks in particular has a hitbox around it.

Aerials do less shield knockback, shields don't take very much chip damage, and the timing on perfect shielding is lenient as gently caress.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
I feel kinda sorry for the dudes who make entire sentences out of their control schemes, particularly when I only catch the last half of the 15 some odd things they put in.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I like the rock-paper-scissors style thing that arises out of shield, grab, and hitbox.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
The problem with the shield/grab situation as it stands is that you can't grab in the air (unless you're Bowser or Ganondorf against a tall opponent I guess). So if you approach by air then either you'll get blocked and grabbed, or you'll land behind them having achieved nothing more than a change in position (which can be good, but still). This means that it's almost always better to just wait for your opponent to approach, which makes the game really defensive, which then makes the game really boring.

Maybe it'll get patched or something, they got rid of vectoring after all.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waverhouse posted:

Maybe it'll get patched or something, they got rid of vectoring after all.

The temperature in hell will be somewhere around -32F when they do it, too.

I hope they do it but I'm skeptical as gently caress about Sakurai wanting to do anything to make the game less defensive.

E: that and the whole "we're not doing more balance patches" comment

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 28, 2014

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
i cant wrap my head around how good some people are at not always facing the wrong direction or landing grabs. also i cant seem to loving attack without doing a dash attack and i'm terrible at doing tilt attacks, i always end up doing a smash instead

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kewpuh posted:

i cant wrap my head around how good some people are at not always facing the wrong direction or landing grabs. also i cant seem to loving attack without doing a dash attack and i'm terrible at doing tilt attacks, i always end up doing a smash instead

It feels like half the time the game just makes me face the wrong direction when I'm trying to grab or use certain attacks. Bowser Jr is especially bad for this, it feels like randomly half the time when I go to let my Mecha Koopa out he'll just do it in the opposite direction that I'm clearly facing. Same with grabs, although there are plenty of times where I just whiff a grab and face the wrong direction. That is my fault, but sometimes and like half the time with the mecha koopa thing it feels like the game messing up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

Which controller are you using? There's an option to tie a scheme to your name that turns moves done by the second stick into tilts, which is really useful.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which controller are you using? There's an option to tie a scheme to your name that turns moves done by the second stick into tilts, which is really useful.

gamecube controller. i think i have the cstick set as tilts but uh i never really use it. like poo poo is too frantic for me to be like "oh yea i have this whole other stick down here that i can do poo poo with"

also when i move and use it, it ends up being a dash attack as well because i'm having trouble training myself to not smash the stick in the direction that i want to move

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

gamecube controller. i think i have the cstick set as tilts but uh i never really use it. like poo poo is too frantic for me to be like "oh yea i have this whole other stick down here that i can do poo poo with"

also when i move and use it, it ends up being a dash attack as well because i'm having trouble training myself to not smash the stick in the direction that i want to move

If it's a dash attack that's probably happening because you're dashing. :v: I think the only moves you can do in a dash are up smash, dash attacks, and a forward tilt behind you.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

It's hard for many people's brains, myself included, to think "push forward on the control stick" to not mean "jam the control stick as far forward as possible, because that is the direction i want to move"

They should let you hold down a button to run, and you won't run otherwise. that'd be great because I never use L and I don't want to always dash.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

mabels big day posted:

It's hard for many people's brains, myself included, to think "push forward on the control stick" to not mean "jam the control stick as far forward as possible, because that is the direction i want to move"

They should let you hold down a button to run, and you won't run otherwise. that'd be great because I never use L and I don't want to always dash.

yes this. my giant retard hands just dont cooperate with my brain when its telling them that they dont have to slam the control stick in the direction they want to move

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah and why would you not want to be running as fast as you can anyways?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Davinci posted:

because if you're playing wario then you'll always want to be crawling backwards

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Davinci posted:

your options are a lot more limited when you're running in this game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ya know I gotta say I'm surprised we're 4.5 games into this franchise, and they've never made Master Hand playable in some fashion. Obviously as he IS he can't be playable, but maybe a Jr Hand that doesn't fly but all his attacks are scaled down versions of the boss attacks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Ya know I gotta say I'm surprised we're 4.5 games into this franchise, and they've never made Master Hand playable in some fashion. Obviously as he IS he can't be playable, but maybe a Jr Hand that doesn't fly but all his attacks are scaled down versions of the boss attacks.

At this point he kind of does qualify as a Nintendo all star anyways :v:

Give us the hand Sakurai, you can give him moves from Mario Paint too

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

THE loving MOON posted:

My god, it's beautiful :aaa:

Tatsuta Age posted:

whats your nnid so I can steal this when sharing customs is a thing
Ha thanks guys. I share my nintendo id with goon Polo-Rican, I'll post it here later once I remember it. It's a freaking mystery why there's no way of sharing custom stages. It would be super fun if you could browse everyone's stages and be able to sort by "best rated".

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

One of my solutions to keep myself from dash attacking too much is to just roll my thumb off jump and onto attack so I do a short aerial instead, that way if the attack is shielded I can hit back on the control stick and put some distance between us again before I land. I've also come to rely on the c-stick for smashes because no matter which way you face if you side-smash with the c-stick it will turn you around.

You can also use the shield button as a 'brake' and stop a dash, I've started using spot dodges to slide inside someone's zone after a dash to do a quick grab or upsmash.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Macaluso posted:

You can play as Master Hand in Melee! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
there's also Perfect Pivoting, which is effectively a free range increase (of varying length, depending on character) on any move you can do with the C-stick.

• Locked thread