Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
what about the returning throwing dagger? it had decent damage i think, but the enchantment was lowish, maybe +2?

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
There's a +3 one as well, but I don't know if they give STR bonus to damage like the axes and hammers do.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Just wanted to say that IWDEE has nerfed Kensai for those of you who are planning to try it there. They can't use throwing weapons anymore and Kensai/Mage cannot put anything in body and hands slot, including mage robes and bracers. Still OP as gently caress tho.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

cheesetriangles posted:

Running around BG2 solo as a fighter/mage/thief with xp uncapped and triple class HLA tables is pretty fun. Fill every second level spell slot with invis and go to town. Once you get the staff of the magi things get really crazy.
I've done that too. Staff of the Magi means you can backstab, instantly become invisible to avoid counterattacks and get out of the enemy's line of sight, stealth again and then backstab once more. Enemies just stand around waiting to die.

I had used the mod that added Mage HLAs to FMCs, but I never actually used them even though I got all the 10th level spells. All I ever bothered using my 9th level spell slots was for Time Stop. Casting Time Stop followed by the use of Greater Whirlwind Attack or Critical Strike seemed like the most efficient means of killing things. Much better than bothering with damage dealing spells.

fralbjabar posted:

For shops ring of human influence is the way to go in BGII, for BG maybe pick up Ajantis early on?
I jut used Keldorn for shops. Not only is he the simplest solution to dealing with mages, his 18 Charisma can easily be raised to 20 with the Nymph's Cloak you can buy at Maevar's guild.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Factor_VIII posted:

I jut used Keldorn for shops. Not only is he the simplest solution to dealing with mages, his 18 Charisma can easily be raised to 20 with the Nymph's Cloak you can buy at Maevar's guild.

That is the most straightforward way if you don't have 18 CHA on your charname. But if you want even better, or if you aren't using Keldorn, you can give a mage the ring of human influence and have the mage cast friends. Friends stacks with the ring, so you get a 24ish CHA and an even better shopping bonus than if you used Keldorn.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Metal Meltdown posted:

Mages get that at 3rd level, so it's possible to dual very early. Level 5 gives you third level magic as I recall. That said, beyond armor there are several higher level wizard spells worth consideration. Stone Skin makes you outright immune to basic attacks, Tensers Transformation turns you into a juggernaut of destruction and Time Stop is a plain and simple "I Win" button.
Spirit Armor is a 4th level spell, meaning you need a 7th level mage to cast it. It's much better than Mage Armor or Ghost Armor as it provides an AC of 1, the equivalent of full plate, and lasts twice as long as Ghost Armor. Its biggest advantage is that it can be cast on other characters, meaning you can have the party mage cast it on your Kensai as needed. Though, as you said, a Figher/Mage does benefits greatly from other spells that only affect the caster such as Mirror Image, Stoneskin or Tenser's Transformation.

Draile posted:

That is the most straightforward way if you don't have 18 CHA on your charname. But if you want even better, or if you aren't using Keldorn, you can give a mage the ring of human influence and have the mage cast friends. Friends stacks with the ring, so you get a 24ish CHA and an even better shopping bonus than if you used Keldorn.
The merchant bonus caps out at 20. A higher charisma gives no added benefit and isn't really useful. If you don't have Keldorn you could also combine the ring with the Nymph's Cloak to get 20 charisma as well.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

verybad posted:

A single-class Kensai can use use (and master) throwing weapons, so playing them as a very hard hitting ranged unit is a thing you can do. You can grab a returning throwing axe +2 very early on in the game (the adventurer party in the sewers), though I think you have to side with Bodhi if you want the +3 one. If you're a dwarf, you can also use the Dwarven Thrower (+3 throwing hammer) you can buy after solving the djinni problem in Trademeet.

Yeah, that's a possibility. Problem is that Archers do more damage than throwing Kensai pre-ToB as the Kensai can't use APR offhands for throwing. After level 18, where Archer bonuses slow down, Kensai can pull ahead with WW/GWW but that's a lot of waiting.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Factor_VIII posted:

I've done that too. Staff of the Magi means you can backstab, instantly become invisible to avoid counterattacks and get out of the enemy's line of sight, stealth again and then backstab once more. Enemies just stand around waiting to die.

Are you ready to have your mind blown? You don't need to get out of sight and stealth again. Just click the staff in your hotbar to turn invis get behind a guy and make a backstab with a different weapon. You can kill a dozen guys in 20 seconds.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

Are you ready to have your mind blown? You don't need to get out of sight and stealth again. Just click the staff in your hotbar to turn invis get behind a guy and make a backstab with a different weapon. You can kill a dozen guys in 20 seconds.
I never actually thought to try that. I assumed that since the invisibility ends when you stop wielding the Staff of the Magi, it would be impossible to switch weapons and then backstab since you'd be visible.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So someone explain druid shapeshifting to me. Do your stats change at all? Do they still factor in your weapons and armor? How long does the shapeshifting last?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Factor_VIII posted:

I never actually thought to try that. I assumed that since the invisibility ends when you stop wielding the Staff of the Magi, it would be impossible to switch weapons and then backstab since you'd be visible.

I could be wrong but I think there's a few seconds before your character actually becomes visible

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So someone explain druid shapeshifting to me. Do your stats change at all? Do they still factor in your weapons and armor? How long does the shapeshifting last?

Your str, dex, and con change. Sometimes downward.

Shapeshifting lasts until you decide it ends (this is not true of the level 9 mage spell, and I forget if it is true about the druid HLA forms).

Rings and amulets still apply. I think cloaks and boots too but I forget.

Your primary weapon is superceded by your shapeshift "weapon" meaning bear paws or whatever.

Your shield does not apply, but bonuses from that slot DO. So a common practice isto "bury" belm in your off hand to get an extra attack.

My totemic druid is currently dicking around around nashkel, having ceared the mins and rescued dynaheir. Taking all 3 new characters is at least new and interesting, even if dorn is ludicrously overpowered for the early game, and rassad is awwwful.

Ironman still intact at least.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Levitate posted:

I could be wrong but I think there's a few seconds before your character actually becomes visible
I just tested it on BG2EE with Imoen switching between the Staff of the Magi and Celestial Fury in comparison to Imoen armed with Celestial Fury under an Invisibility spell. Imoen became instantly visible and couldn't get the backstab multiplier when switching weapons and attempting to backstab. While under an Invisibility spell Imoen got the multiplier with no problems.

FairGame posted:

Shapeshifting lasts until you decide it ends (this is not true of the level 9 mage spell, and I forget if it is true about the druid HLA forms).
What do you mean by that? You can still choose to return to human form before the spell ends.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

I just tested it on BG2EE with Imoen switching between the Staff of the Magi and Celestial Fury in comparison to Imoen armed with Celestial Fury under an Invisibility spell. Imoen became instantly visible and couldn't get the backstab multiplier when switching weapons and attempting to backstab. While under an Invisibility spell Imoen got the multiplier with no problems.

Yeah I understand it that staves usable by a thief work for backstabbing, but SoM is mage only so it doesnt work for backstabs. And ofc you cant switch to another weapon because you lose the invis immediately.

With a mage/thief you just need that level 6 spell which creates an immobile copy of you and makes you perma invis. Then you get unlimited backstabs with whatever weapon you want.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Factor_VIII posted:

I just tested

What do you mean by that? You can still choose to return to human form before the spell ends.

I mean that the wizard spell will expire whether you want it to or not.

Druid shapeshifts last infinitely long.

A wizard cannot be a mind flayer forever. A druid can be a black bear forever (but why would he want to?)

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

FairGame posted:

I mean that the wizard spell will expire whether you want it to or not.

Druid shapeshifts last infinitely long.

A wizard cannot be a mind flayer forever. A druid can be a black bear forever (but why would he want to?)

What if, like, you want to escape the city life, man :420:

Also you have permanent shapeshifting if you Ctrl+R after casting whichever shapeshift spell.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I know that Icewind Dale is level capped instead of experience capped. That being said, on average, if you play on core rules, can you actually get to max level with a party of 6?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I know that Icewind Dale is level capped instead of experience capped. That being said, on average, if you play on core rules, can you actually get to max level with a party of 6?

With a single playthrough, no way. I played core and abused turning up the difficulty for most quest turn-ins for double exp and my monk/cleric were the only two out of my five man party to level cap. The rest still broke 20 so you'll end up very high level if you play all the campaigns. You'll end the vanilla one at about 13.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Probably no. In my current game, I... did some grinding? Grinded? Ground? the cold wights in Dragon's Eye for a long while to get my dual-classed Shadowdancer-Fighter's levels back up, and even while doing that, with a 4-man party, on Insane, we were hovering around 2,860,000 xp (judging from my bard) heading into the end of the game. This is before HoW and TotL, though, and I have no idea what kind of experience rewards you can expect from those, since I only did HoW once and have done TotL never, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Anyway I don't know what I'm talking about as far as XP totals go. I just came here to say that Hjollder has the coolest god drat voice ever

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

anime tupac posted:

Anyway I don't know what I'm talking about as far as XP totals go. I just came here to say that Hjollder has the coolest god drat voice ever

His voice does not suffer at all in comparison to Mr. Vincent Price. Imagine that Hjollder intoning the verse that ends Thriller.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 27, 2014

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone speak from experience about the pros/cons of the Druid subclasses in terms of power and gameplay/fun at different stages of the game? I am interested in the Avenger due to the spells for a 2nd playthrough of IWD:EE but also interested in the Totemic Druid, but suspect the latter does not scale as well later in the game.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Depends on the difficulty settings. On a 6 member playthrough on Insane (which gives a 100% XP bonus) my Bard, Fighters, Cleric and Thief all hit level 30. My Mage hit level 25. On Heart of Fury I easily hit level 30 even for mages.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Smashing Link posted:

Can anyone speak from experience about the pros/cons of the Druid subclasses in terms of power and gameplay/fun at different stages of the game? I am interested in the Avenger due to the spells for a 2nd playthrough of IWD:EE but also interested in the Totemic Druid, but suspect the latter does not scale as well later in the game.

Totemic druid is really strong at low levels where summons are so useful anyway and theirs are strong to boot. The lack of shapeshifting is not a big weakness so theyre also fine at high levels, just their summons become more or less obsolete by the late teen levels. Still useful not to need to waste spell slots on summons though.

Avenger is hampered in BG by the lack of decent offensive druid spells which make druids a fairly weak single class choice. Im thinking that since druids are viable as pure spellcasters in IWD anyway, the avenger would be the strongest choice of the three kits.

Shapeshifter is rubbish unfortunately. Their shapeshift form is strong initially but doesnt scale well with levels so they end up as kinda gimpy spellcasters.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
What's the overall status of BG2EE right now? Buggy or rock solid?

I feel like playing again but don't have my old BGT install with me anymore. And since SCS (the only mod I really care about) seems to support both BGEE and BG2EE these days, using the extended editions could save a lot of time.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Smol posted:

What's the overall status of BG2EE right now? Buggy or rock solid?

I feel like playing again but don't have my old BGT install with me anymore. And since SCS (the only mod I really care about) seems to support both BGEE and BG2EE these days, using the extended editions could save a lot of time.

I'd like to know as well. I was surprised how quickly Beamdog got the patch out after they went beta with it (only took them a bloody year to get started), but that speed makes me worry that they cocked even more stuff up in their haste.

Then again, what do I know? Maybe they were incrementally working on bug fixes for months and months, among other projects, but didn't put out the lot until just recently. Still narked off at them, but that could be the case.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Considering they made it so that every patch would delete all mods im hardly surprised.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

JustJeff88 posted:

I'd like to know as well. I was surprised how quickly Beamdog got the patch out after they went beta with it (only took them a bloody year to get started), but that speed makes me worry that they cocked even more stuff up in their haste.

Then again, what do I know? Maybe they were incrementally working on bug fixes for months and months, among other projects, but didn't put out the lot until just recently. Still narked off at them, but that could be the case.

I started a new game a few days ago. I've only done the Keep and a few other quests in town so far, but haven't noticed any problems.

As far as I can tell, no one is complaining much about IWD:EE. Beamdog might have got their QA procedures worked out by now.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
Does anyone know if they fixed that bug in BG2EE where enemies had no weapon proficiency points? I must have missed that in the (absurdly) long patch notes.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
They did

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Thanks! Time to load it up then!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Smashing Link posted:

Avenger is just an OK support/utility caster up until you unlock shapeshifting, after which Sword Spider form combined with your human offensive and utility spells (especially Web and Insects) can carry your party through the entirety of BGI.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Avenger is the best single class druid kit. -2 STR -2 CON isn't a problem (especially the CON penalty) and you get quite a bit of offensive spell casting power in return. And like someone said above, the sword spider form is pretty handy as well (5 APR and poison, sign me up!).

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

The patch beta was going on for months. I'm not sure why it took so long as it did though, maybe because BG2 EE was so drat buggy that it'd take that long to quash all of the reported bugs.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Smol posted:

Avenger is the best single class druid kit. -2 STR -2 CON isn't a problem (especially the CON penalty) and you get quite a bit of offensive spell casting power in return. And like someone said above, the sword spider form is pretty handy as well (5 APR and poison, sign me up!).

Yeah you should only be meleeing in a shapeshifted form so the penalties are practically nonexistent unless you get flanked while casting since shapeshift STR/DEX/CON overrides your own.

I think the poison got removed if you're playing EE, though. Probably to maintain a niche for the Wyvern form which still has it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
if only druids had spontaneous summoning. that would make them a lot more effective.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So I'm going to keep my Kensai as is without dualling. But I want to have the best mage I can to balance this - and I don't think Nalia is very good. Jan? Who would you recommend?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

So I'm going to keep my Kensai as is without dualling. But I want to have the best mage I can to balance this - and I don't think Nalia is very good. Jan? Who would you recommend?

edwin and imoen, followed by nalia. what's wrong with nalia though? she's annoying, but as a mage she's as good as imoen. she's slighty less useful due to her lower thief level.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I'm thinking that because she dualled she is not as powerful as a pure mage could be. Imoen has been taken by the wizards. Where's Edwin waiting?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm thinking that because she dualled she is not as powerful as a pure mage could be. Imoen has been taken by the wizards. Where's Edwin waiting?

being dual classed from thief doesn't affect her spellcasting abilities at all. she just has some thief skills extra.

edwin is with the shadow thieves at the city docks. he's evil, though, and won't play nice with minsc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The patch beta was going on for months. I'm not sure why it took so long as it did though, maybe because BG2 EE was so drat buggy that it'd take that long to quash all of the reported bugs.

Fair enough; it just seems like I only heard about a beta perhaps a month before it actually hit digital distribution.

That said, while it did have a lot of bugs, they ignored everything for a while and I'd bet my last copper coin that it was because they wanted to push out iPad versions of the games and/or Icewind Dale EE to make more dosh. They clearly did much better with IWD than the previous, but having to wait a year for a patch is inexcusable.