Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

jetz0r posted:

Say hi in it, we might respond.

Then you'll miss the nice quiet lonely channel it was before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

MrTheDevious posted:

Then you'll miss the nice quiet lonely channel it was before

Not like I'll be on, except on sundays.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

jetz0r posted:

Not like I'll be on, except on sundays.

I only log in when PoP mobs are due to respawn so I can piss off TFO while arguing with people in serverwide and enjoying the flood of LoB people who see me online and send me nasty tells about everyone else in LoB, so we're probably on the same amount of time per week. That's like a 6 hour total span per week where anyone's even in the channel and it's still awful :v:

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

MrTheDevious posted:

I'm hoping a bunch of goons want to come play on the Al'Kabor server next month when it launches

The Al'Kabor Project is what you're talking about right?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ninkobei posted:

Yup! Hittin that poo poo hard day 1. I logged in for a Naggy raid they planned last night to test some stuff and there was a ton of really chill people.

Edit - RCarr just posted up in the Al'Kabor thread, so now there's at least me, Pilsner, and him planning on playing. Rest of you fuckers KNOW you wanna come play! Just need some Brumans or Shnaggle or maybe even Beo or Flare to join and it'd be Goon Heaven all over again :allears:

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 16, 2014

gnomers
Nov 14, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

Yup! Hittin that poo poo hard day 1. I logged in for a Naggy raid they planned last night to test some stuff and there was a ton of really chill people.

Edit - RCarr just posted up in the Al'Kabor thread, so now there's at least me, Pilsner, and him planning on playing. Rest of you fuckers KNOW you wanna come play! Just need some Brumans or Shnaggle or maybe even Beo or Flare to join and it'd be Goon Heaven all over again :allears:

Snaggle here if I can get this to work I am willing to putz around old school EQ

Edit
I got it to work but I am having an issue with getting the game to set the window correctly on my screen. I have my display on my computer as 1600x900 and EQ window goes below the bottum of my screen. Can anyone help me with this. On a funny note. I made Shnaggle a Vah Shir beastlord and forgot to remap auto attack. My guildmaster killed me.

gnomers fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 16, 2014

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

I've never played a pet class so I have a lot of questions that I'm just going to list if anyone wants to answer, this is for a necro

1. What are the rules on giving equipment to pets? If the item requires level 70 and I give it to a pet that's say 50 it won't work? I thought that was how it worked but I just gave a level 90 mage weapon to my level 20 pet and it showed up on him

2. Mage toys, this means the weapons, armor and jewelry a mage can summon? What all does it include? So far I've seen weapons, a haste visor, visible armor and jewelry, I'm supposed to give all of this to a necro pet right?

3. Is there any easier way of giving all the stuff to the pet, like handing it the entire backpack, or am I forced to manually give every piece?

4. How do you save the mage summoned toy bags in your house? I've seen people saying to do it but when I tried they would disappear off the floor after a few minutes

5. In general someone said to only bother giving necro pet more than just weapons if he's going to be tanking. True?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

1) The gear works to an extent below the req level. There are some tiers of weapons that'll proc for really low level pets.

2) That's all of it, and yes, necro pets will use them.

3) Nope, extra incentive not to let your pet die.

4) You have to place the items on your wall, not just drop em on the ground. Then just remove them from the wall as you need them.

5) Belts have haste until your pet haste buffs are high level enough. No need for armor I guess if he's not getting hit

Really most people just don't bother with anything but weapons. It's a lot of hassle for not all that much return. I have never once even noticed a difference at all on my necro's pet whether he had armor or not. Getting an EM focus upgrade was always a ton bigger impact IMO. My necro pet went from getting rear end blasted by T1 RoF stuff with em12 to tanking T4 RoF nameds decently when I got a raid EM focus.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

I've never played a pet class so I have a lot of questions that I'm just going to list if anyone wants to answer, this is for a necro

1. What are the rules on giving equipment to pets? If the item requires level 70 and I give it to a pet that's say 50 it won't work? I thought that was how it worked but I just gave a level 90 mage weapon to my level 20 pet and it showed up on him

2. Mage toys, this means the weapons, armor and jewelry a mage can summon? What all does it include? So far I've seen weapons, a haste visor, visible armor and jewelry, I'm supposed to give all of this to a necro pet right?

3. Is there any easier way of giving all the stuff to the pet, like handing it the entire backpack, or am I forced to manually give every piece?

4. How do you save the mage summoned toy bags in your house? I've seen people saying to do it but when I tried they would disappear off the floor after a few minutes

I think the pet level matters for procs, but not for equiping?

If you're on a live server and have lots of plat to throw around, you can search for cheap armor with better stats than the mage summoned pieces. Something like price under 5k, sorted by HP. I know our necros stock up on the haste belts given out by the hotzone quests to make sure pets always have a good haste item.

Dump the pet items into your house's closest/storage via the item management window.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Out of curiosity since my necro was just a box, why do yours bother with haste items? Pet buff gives 85% alone, so even the trash mage summoned haste belts seem fine if you're just using it for haste and not the other stats. Is it just for the extra stats on the Teek belts?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

Out of curiosity since my necro was just a box, why do yours bother with haste items? Pet buff gives 85% alone, so even the trash mage summoned haste belts seem fine if you're just using it for haste and not the other stats. Is it just for the extra stats on the Teek belts?

85% isn't max.

Teek belts give enough haste and some decent stats for a low cost. And they don't poof like summoned gear, so you can keep a stock of them to refill pets while soloing.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

jetz0r posted:

85% isn't max.

Teek belts give enough haste and some decent stats for a low cost. And they don't poof like summoned gear, so you can keep a stock of them to refill pets while soloing.

85% + summoned mage belt is max though, that's why I was asking. It's just for the additional stats cheap, which is what I was wondering

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
Why are you guys even using a pet at all? If you aren't spam summoning two separate tiers of pet swarm you aren't Necroing right.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Zombones posted:

Why are you guys even using a pet at all? If you aren't spam summoning two separate tiers of pet swarm you aren't Necroing right.

If you keep fading your pet, it should be able to live with swarm pets tanking, afair.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

jetz0r posted:

If you keep fading your pet, it should be able to live with swarm pets tanking, afair.

Yep that's how I did it, works just fine. Once I got raid focus though, I just let the pet tank. Cleric merc was plenty enough to keep him alive as a tank on 99% of anything through RoF when I quit really playing him. Way less of a pain in the rear end to just let the pet tank.

I did do a bunch of stupid poo poo with Benhan's necro though just to see if we could. Two necros spamming swarm pets cheeses a TON of stuff really well.

Edit - just because this is hilarious. A couple days ago serverwide mage went nuts because a couple high end mages had gotten hacked and Sony refused to restore them. Test general chat was steady condemning SoE (a practice I normally support) but after hearing the details, it was just a couple idiots getting caught trying to make free money. Now it's showing up on class boards and poo poo, same story only with more damning evidence. Found it on Evilgamer just now and outed the fuckers

www.evilgamer.net/forums/showthread.php?p=222440

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 18, 2014

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Double XP starts soon until the 22nd

Anyone know if it applies to test and/or the stacking with potions/lesson?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Yes to both of those but it's additive:
100%base + 100%test + 100%double exp event + lesson/pot.
On test it is more like 50% from your normal. But the exp would be like 3 times the exp from a live server without double exp.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Does anyone have or use a good, detailed resource on PoP flagging and GoD progression? I did these way back in the day, but don't remember much. I know PoP is mostly kill and hail, but a few things have more "event" to them, like Plane of Air and Saryrn have keys you need to get. Also can GoD be boxed? I remember a lot of odd progression kills like Noqufiel or whatever.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

The only things I can think of in GoD that are hard/impossible to box are Uqua and the Deathtouch event. You can do Uqua fine depending on your box comp during the balance event. The DT thing I dunno how you'd box. Everything else is boxable pretty easily. Txevu and Tacvi definitely are.

PoP you still need a key for Sol Ro, too. It's all dirt easy to solo/box now though. If you're on Test, most all of PoP is perma-farmed

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

BJA posted:

Does anyone have or use a good, detailed resource on PoP flagging and GoD progression? I did these way back in the day, but don't remember much. I know PoP is mostly kill and hail, but a few things have more "event" to them, like Plane of Air and Saryrn have keys you need to get. Also can GoD be boxed? I remember a lot of odd progression kills like Noqufiel or whatever.
How about this for PoP?

http://samanna.net/eq.progression/prog.pop.shtml

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

BJA posted:

Are you doing this as a nostalgia kinda thing or just kills kinda thing? If its just kills, everything should be unlocked except Tacvi, just find it up and murder it. If you wanna progress like it was live, follow the Samanna guide for PoP and GoD is this:

1) Do Tipt to 'flag' for Kod'Taz
2a) There's a guy at zone in area of Kod'Taz before you get to the killing area proper, talk to him and he'll guide you through doing Kod'Taz and Ikkinz. You might not be able to box Ikkinz because there are events that require you to have specific classes to kill boss mobs. This will get you the first part of the cipher of Txevu.
2b) Do Uqua and Kill Barxt. If you're high enough level and have two characters, you can kill Rage and Fury even though you'll get ported between them. This'll get you the second part of the cipher.
3a) Kill Cynosure Kvanji in Qvic, he's not required to be killed for progression necessarily but if he's alive you can't get Inktu'ta.
3b) Kill Noqufil in Inktu'ta and get the third part for the cipher of txevu. You'll either need a poo poo ton of dps that can handle being chain slowed/rooted, or you'll need 7+ people and someone who can FD to beat Cursecallers.
4) Progress through Txevu by killing the Runt event to unlock the caves, then High Priest Nkosi Bakari to get the key to Zun, then kill Zun'Muram Tkarish Zyk to get the signet of command. You can bypass the bullshit and just illusion through doors if you want. Use mercs or pets to kill Zun.
5) Use the signet to request Tacvi and kill Tunat'Muram.

Alternately you can do 'breakdown in communication' which is the sort of expansion long quest line for GoD.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I love the Cursecallers event. It's over ten years old and it's still a raid you can't do by yourself. Think you can survive a ten year old death touch? Laughing out loud.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
Passenger hooked me up with the info on how to do that event and now its boringly trivial again :(

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Don't you have six characters sit at the top of the ramp, have the six death touching assholes attempt to chase them (but can't reach them) while the seventh FD person kills the Cursecallers at their leisure? Or something like that?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Node posted:

Don't you have six characters sit at the top of the ramp, have the six death touching assholes attempt to chase them (but can't reach them) while the seventh FD person kills the Cursecallers at their leisure? Or something like that?

That does make it no fun :(

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Node posted:

Pretty much yeah. The FD thing is so you don't get agro on the cursecallers while setting them off, otherwise you might get a cursebearer on you and kill your dude.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Hoohah posted:

Pretty much yeah. The FD thing is so you don't get agro on the cursecallers while setting them off, otherwise you might get a cursebearer on you and kill your dude.
Thought so. Well, it does require seven people, even if six of them aren't doing anything. Still a hilarious raid if you walk into it thinking you're going to stomp all over it (like I did my first try.)

The lovely part is, if you wipe, the raid instance closes and you get a lockout timer. That zone gives no fucks.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I don't know why the developers today just don't copy and paste the mechanics of old raids. For the most part, they're much more interactive and fun to do.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Literally could not agree more. GoD and DoDH in particular were shamefully fun. I liked PoP just because it was the most exciting lore-based expansion ever made for people who'd been playing since vanilla, but GoD and DoDH were insanely fun raid expansions. GoD because, like you said, it just gave NO fucks at all and obliterated you for the slightest fuckup. Going from shuttling people through Tipt because I was the only monk who could handle it, to winning Uqua for the first time after 2 weeks of gassing people (can't resist it), then finally clearing Tacvi--amazing fun. Felt like we actually accomplished something.

DoDH because the Demiplane race between my guild and the other T2 guild at the time combined with Demi being a totally new level of scripted raid encounters made it my absolute favorite period of EQ ever. Aside from Sisters, DoDH is hands down the most fun expansion of all time. Even the group progression ending in a loving AWESOME (for the time) clicky was goddamn fun as hell. Nothing else in an MMO ever has or ever will compare to the awesome that was hitting Demi T2 2 days before the other guild. loving perfect expansion.

RoF had some fun raids to learn initially as a non-dominant guild (Grell, CH, Xorbb) but nothing else recently has been anything like the sheer fun of the oldschool raids. Even the fun newer ones become pretty monotonous really fast. I never saw ToR/PoW in CoTF, but the rest of the CotF raids were straight up boring as gently caress and are some of my least-enjoyed raid events of all time (Neriak trash raid can eat a dick). I really doubt the new ones are any more interesting, though that's just idle speculation. Bring back the fun as hell stuff :(

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Node posted:

I don't know why the developers today just don't copy and paste the mechanics of old raids. For the most part, they're much more interactive and fun to do.

They have to know the old raid exists.
Elidroth said he spent forever getting Cages of Testing working right. Then when someone asked why he copied the Hatchet scripts, he was pissed because he didn't know another raid had already done what he was doing.

Absor did literally copy & paste the anti-kite mechanic from one of Dzarn's VoA raids into Neriak1 while we were testing it. The ghouls started yelling at us in Alaran if we tried kiting them. I dunno if it's a policy to share useful code chunks like that, or it's something Absor does. But he definitely seems fine with re-using bits from other raids.

No one wants to just copy an old raid wholesale with some higher stats. Nor is that something most raiders should want. But there's a lot of mechanical re-use for parts of raids. If you start looking from the first scripted raids, you'll see bits of them being reused in future raids all the time. They're not going to be as full replicas as Hatchet to Cages of Testing, but you could break down Vish and find almost all of those ideas used in future raids.

I bet the back end of raid scripting varies a lot and has an impact of code re-use. Some of the devs are better coders and make code that's easier to plug and play into another dev's raid. Others probably write scripts that are a lot harder to port in. But it seems like the major factor in code reuse is if the person knows that what they want to do has already been done. The "golden age" for EQ had no scripting beyond splits and move to /locs. After that, it seems like most people are missing chunks across the 10+ years of scripted raids and missions for their personal knowledge base.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

If that's true (which it very well could be, and probably is), then EQ is in worse shape than people think. There are absolutely stronger programmers/scripters in any given company than others, but any particular code *should* be vetted by everyone else, then iterated on. This isn't a practice that's followed only when a dev team has more than enough money, it's the accepted method for every developer in 2014 period. If EQ's development is really so segregated and ignored that one developer's raids aren't understood by the rest of the designers, there are vastly bigger problems afoot.

This is where I want to say "Even if this is the case, I doubt the few devs left are clueless on the previous eras of raid events." but I really can't believe that anymore. I'm mostly inclined now to just say you're 100% right and there is so little money left devoted to EQ1 that development is mostly just grabbing at scraps and nothing will ever improve. It has nothing left except CSR stringing people along to milk as much as they can until the rest of the population explodes.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

MrTheDevious posted:

DoDH because the Demiplane race between my guild and the other T2 guild at the time combined with Demi being a totally new level of scripted raid encounters made it my absolute favorite period of EQ ever. Aside from Sisters, DoDH is hands down the most fun expansion of all time. Even the group progression ending in a loving AWESOME (for the time) clicky was goddamn fun as hell. Nothing else in an MMO ever has or ever will compare to the awesome that was hitting Demi T2 2 days before the other guild. loving perfect expansion.

I have to disagree here, DoDH was something of a shithole (although nowhere near as bad as what came next in Prophecy of Ro). This is where you got started with fights that are both 20 minutes long and emote/reaction festivals rather than having your raid deal with things, you instead get to make sure that everyone has 6 pages of socials set up, that they can sit around for 20 minutes while 4 people and an enchanter do literally the entire event, and deal with horseshit like a mob shielding another mob and suddenly the bats you were concerned about are summoning the tanks that are trying to kite them. The only saving grace for this was that it told the raid when people hosed up (because you waited 20 minutes and got the wrong end message, because you failed FD when Hatchet killed you, or when the performer told you to shape up) so you could single them out for humiliation. Don't forget you also had the gigantic cockfights over who got to get AE blockers, and oh until you got them you were snared for the entire instance and like 15 minutes after you left.

Demiplane was just an absolute slog, and the fact that Draygun and Sendaii were just as horribly long for gear that was barely above DoN / Anguish loot. DoDH, PoR, TSS, and TBS all had a lovely storylines, ho-hum raids (except a few events in Solteris, like event 5) and literally felt like the devs had no idea how to release quality content when they were constrained to a six month release cycle. This seems to be happening again now with CoTF and TDS too...

Everything said about Gates of Discord is true though. Its really a shame that the timing and the clusterfuck of the GoD launch coincided with WoW's release, because there is literally no part of Gates of Discord that I didn't like and I would have loved to have beaten as much of it in-era as possible. I never saw Noqufiel until he was trivalized by levels/gear, same with Tunat.

I guess I gravitate towards 'hard' expansions cause I also really like Underfoot, except for Convorteum Event 3, that fight can gently caress right off. If HoT is as easy as people keep telling me it is, I bet I won't like it, although it adds housing and a ton of new AA lines / spell lines that look like fun.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
HoT was definitely my favorite 'modern' expansion but it is definitely on the easy side. Most of that was aesthetics, it just had a nice feel to the whole area.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

If that's true (which it very well could be, and probably is), then EQ is in worse shape than people think. There are absolutely stronger programmers/scripters in any given company than others, but any particular code *should* be vetted by everyone else, then iterated on. This isn't a practice that's followed only when a dev team has more than enough money, it's the accepted method for every developer in 2014 period. If EQ's development is really so segregated and ignored that one developer's raids aren't understood by the rest of the designers, there are vastly bigger problems afoot.
From what I can tell, the EQ scripting is very different from game code. I don't know much about JChan and the rest of the code team/interns. They rarely interact with the public beyond some short notes in the beta threads.

On the dev side, raids, missions and zones can do go through tuning testing with other devs. So they don't have a problem reading or interacting with stuff made by the rest of the team for those purposes. But there's no way they all know every mission and raid made in the past 5 years well enough to know where to scavenge code from. I would expect the raid designing devs to have read the beta outline of other raids, and maybe to have watched a guild beat those raids.

But a lot of stuff in EQ is very 'domain' restricted. Each dev has certain areas, and they're expected to the ones that deal with everything in that area. Content stuff will usually have some player+dev testing with the main dev and then one or two others. If it's not content, then players and QA will be the ones doing the review and sanity checking. If we can.

For reusing stuff, I mean things like the '1 real, X fake' boss spawns. That goes all the way back to PoP. It's been done and redone over the years, I don't know how many times used the same code. But almost every time, Mob_Name00 was the special one. So you could use a /target trick to find it instantly. Elidroth used the same mechanic in Glimpse, but this time 00 wasn't the special one, nor was the special one even the same number each time. In 6-18 months, when another dev makes a raid with that mechanic, will they remember the Glimpse implementation?

I would say it's pretty gently caress obvious the devs don't know what's going on with the rest of the game. And/or there's no shits given about standardization. Since RoF, I've seen the following ways of implementing 'Kill X mobs' steps in solo partisan quests:

Each person with the quest gets a 1:1 update per a kill
Each person with the quest gets a 1:1 update per a kill, update is flavored as a phantom item. No actual items involved.
Each person with the quest has X% chance to get an update per a kill.
Each person with the quest has X% chance to get an item in their inventory per a kill.
The person who had first aggro get the only update.
Each mob, when killed, drops 1 (of X) items.
Each mob, when killed, has an X% chance to drop an item.
Each mob, when killed, drops an item for each person in the raid/group on that task step that got exp.
Each mob, when killed, has an X% chance to drop an item, for each person in the raid/group on that task step that got exp. Update is on looting. Finishing the step will cause fewer drops from future mobs.
Items may or may not be turned in to an NPC later in the quest.
Items not turned in may or may not Temporary.

The best are the ones that don't make the quest take longer if you're doing it with 5 other people. Having a step go from 6 kills if you're solo to 36 kills in a group is just stupid.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Bonus XP starts at midnight, lasts for 4 days

Doesn't say how much the bonus is so people are guessing 50%

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
No raiding in any game will ever hold a candle to in-era GoD. I will never have a better gaming achievement than server first BBoB and walking around like I had the biggest dick in the world. That entire expansion was just immense and rewarding on a scale others didn't match.

I have 't MMO raided since like 2008, so I probably have no loving clue what I'm talking about as far as valud comparisons go. But it doesn't seem like there will ever be another GoD.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Kazak_Hstan posted:

No raiding in any game will ever hold a candle to in-era GoD. I will never have a better gaming achievement than server first BBoB and walking around like I had the biggest dick in the world. That entire expansion was just immense and rewarding on a scale others didn't match.

I have 't MMO raided since like 2008, so I probably have no loving clue what I'm talking about as far as valud comparisons go. But it doesn't seem like there will ever be another GoD.

The current expansion has about 1/30th the content of GoD, 1/20th the raids, and about the same amount of bugs and imbalances (prenerf Tunat, one of the two raid encounters in history that was unbeatable until the next expansion came out. Ouch!) I made all those numbers up, but that is what it felt like. At least the art is pretty.

Actually I'm wrong about content. Getting your BiC aug in Gates took more time than it does to finish progression in TDS. TDS has maybe 1/50th the content using my made up numbers.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Sounds pretty accurate!

Al'Kabor's going live in 2 hours, gonna be awesome :v:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

http://www.twitch.tv/roiguild starts in about an hour, 4:30 pst. Vent audio will be included. [t xegony.sottovoce if it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ninkobei posted:

Just want to put a reminder here for this server. It's a hell of a lot of fun. I hope more people get in on this.