Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Eej posted:

The mechanics of a DPS class honestly don't matter as long as their DPS is competitive and if it's not, they have to offer raid utility to compensate (ie Bards). Which is why Dragoons are in a poopy place right now (but they are still viable as of 2.45) because they have the least utility of any DPS.

Mechanics matter, if the job is fun to play you will see it being used even if there are technically better options. DRG suffers not only because of a lack of utility but also because you spend any decent amount of time mucking with MNK or NIN it feels like you're operating at 1/4 speed as a DRG. The rotations are long but slow, if you gently caress up you can easily recover at any point but you spend so much time in each attack that your job doesn't feel as tweakable as the faster DPS. Drg is definitely saveable, I think they just need to operate a bit more out of the box with it. If I have these long attacks give me a chance to do something interesting with that accumulated downtime, maybe mini-combos that could be executed during the attack animations that would increase the potency of the next attack in the chain or add new secondary effects. Add a bit more interactivity to those massive damage spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You could just change Dragoon's secondary subclass from Marauader to Rogue to give them off-class Goad and you'll be good to go until they rework them in expansion.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I think you guys are just either playing with lovely dragoons or need to :gitgud: with them yourselves because I'm either #1 or 2 DPS in pretty much every encounter. Dragoon is perfectly fine for final coil now that we don't die when looked at wrong. Plus they are basically mini tanks as they have the most life and best defense of any non tank class.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Eej posted:

You could just change Dragoon's secondary subclass from Marauader to Rogue to give them off-class Goad and you'll be good to go until they rework them in expansion.

goad is not terribly efficient while the game lacks visible TP meters for the party. Supplant that with a bard-like AOE TP refresh with a much smaller radius and you have something that is both really handy and encourages adoption of new tactics, IE getting those bards inside face punch range to unleash AOEs with refresh while risking getting their blocks knocked off. Even better if you have an inner limit to the radius as well to discourage stacking because I hate stack strategies but w/e.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Make invigorate have a small area of effect. Everyone pile on the drg. :getin:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
i am best at <class> because i surround myself w/ bad players

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.
same but the other way around

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I'm doing the new Zodiac quest (finally) and just wanted to make sure. If I have a quest, that takes me to Aurum Vale for example, as long as I have the quest I can do it with any job I want? Just making sure because I did 4 dungeons with my Bard and the most it took for a drop was 3 runs. Now I'm trying with my newly leveled Warrior and 5 runs later still nothing. Probably just finally got bad RNG luck, but I know Square has done 2 hotfix patches since new patch and just wanted to make sure they didn't remove being able to do that.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

The Black Stones posted:

I'm doing the new Zodiac quest (finally) and just wanted to make sure. If I have a quest, that takes me to Aurum Vale for example, as long as I have the quest I can do it with any job I want? Just making sure because I did 4 dungeons with my Bard and the most it took for a drop was 3 runs. Now I'm trying with my newly leveled Warrior and 5 runs later still nothing. Probably just finally got bad RNG luck, but I know Square has done 2 hotfix patches since new patch and just wanted to make sure they didn't remove being able to do that.

Yeah, you can get it with any class. I got my zodiac weapon with my black mage, but I got my dzaemael darkhold drop on my white mage while helping a couple other goons through it for the first time. It's just bad RNG. Took me 28 runs of Pharos before I got that drop, so really, it's just bad RNG.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Spaceman Future! posted:

goad is not terribly efficient while the game lacks visible TP meters for the party. Supplant that with a bard-like AOE TP refresh with a much smaller radius and you have something that is both really handy and encourages adoption of new tactics, IE getting those bards inside face punch range to unleash AOEs with refresh while risking getting their blocks knocked off. Even better if you have an inner limit to the radius as well to discourage stacking because I hate stack strategies but w/e.

This needs to happen. Even with displayed TP, I'm not sure what goad is supposed to accomplish. SE basically stated (while nerfing NIN TP consumption) that the melee DPS, at least, are supposed to use up their TP at about the same rate. That means when it's time to goad somebody, the NIN casting goad is also going to be low on TP, and they just have to deal with it unless there's a bard.
And if there's a bard who gives a gently caress about goad unless someone died.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Don't forget an off class perfect dodge. It's surprisingly useful at times.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Ignore Doublestep unless you are trying to be a bleeding edge raider, i.e. clearing FCoB in <i115 gear or doing Savage Coil. You don't need Dragon Kick to beat FCoB if you're geared.

My raid static is pretty average, i.e. not everyone is the top 5% of their class. We make mistakes, our tanks and healers mistime cooldowns, and I pull the highest DPS as DRG at ~490 in T11 phase 1 (everyone else ranges from 380 to 430 or so), and we're still making progress. We will beat T12 before too long (haven't started yet), beat our heads against T13 for a while, and then clear it, all without a MNK. I don't think Dragon Kick will really make a big difference for us.

But we do have a BRD (DRG/NIN/BRD/BLM), and unless your group never wipes and never needs Mage's after a healer dies or Army's in...the rest of the fights, BRD will always be a must-have for non-Echo content.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
It makes a noticeable difference on 13 and the most aoe in 12 originates from the boss when its is untargettable and you cant possibly have any debuffs on it. I've seen 13 with and without DK and its very much apparent. You dont need DK but not having it makes the hp reqs higher and your healers have to work harder.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

pksage posted:

Ignore Doublestep unless you are trying to be a bleeding edge raider, i.e. clearing FCoB in <i115 gear or doing Savage Coil. You don't need Dragon Kick to beat FCoB if you're geared.

My raid static is pretty average, i.e. not everyone is the top 5% of their class. We make mistakes, our tanks and healers mistime cooldowns, and I pull the highest DPS as DRG at ~490 in T11 phase 1 (everyone else ranges from 380 to 430 or so), and we're still making progress. We will beat T12 before too long (haven't started yet), beat our heads against T13 for a while, and then clear it, all without a MNK. I don't think Dragon Kick will really make a big difference for us.

But we do have a BRD (DRG/NIN/BRD/BLM), and unless your group never wipes and never needs Mage's after a healer dies or Army's in...the rest of the fights, BRD will always be a must-have for non-Echo content.

yeah ignore me if you're planning to kill t13 in 3.0

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Both my statics for my main and alt don't have monks and T13 hasn't been an issue. Static 1 has apocastasis from my BLM for some mitigation. Static 2 doesn't even have apocastasis because I go SMN, so it comes down to how good your tanks and healers are. Having a monk/double monk is really only ideal for going for world/server firsts without having the newest gear.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Klades posted:

This needs to happen. Even with displayed TP, I'm not sure what goad is supposed to accomplish. SE basically stated (while nerfing NIN TP consumption) that the melee DPS, at least, are supposed to use up their TP at about the same rate. That means when it's time to goad somebody, the NIN casting goad is also going to be low on TP, and they just have to deal with it unless there's a bard.
And if there's a bard who gives a gently caress about goad unless someone died.

Ninja TP requirements aren't anything like other classes, all the TP changes did was mean you use 30 TP more every 30 seconds and meant I had to hit invigorate on CD instead of hitting it whenever I felt like it, our bard has never had to use foes in FCOB since i've been Ninja.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Doublestep posted:

i am best at <class> because i surround myself w/ bad players

kick one of your tanks from gumdope kids and i will make ur skill skyrocket

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Stormgale posted:

Ninja TP requirements aren't anything like other classes, all the TP changes did was mean you use 30 TP more every 30 seconds and meant I had to hit invigorate on CD instead of hitting it whenever I felt like it, our bard has never had to use foes in FCOB since i've been Ninja.

That's odd, because the only times so far that I've had someone run out before me (without spamming AoEs) were bards in T10 during add phases. I hit invigorate on cooldown and unless I do something wrong I end up running dry before the fight is over if I don't get paeon.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I start getting hungry for TP around the same time my bard does during T11/T10, I can usually last until my second Goad goes out to the bard and the monk needs TP again.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Doublestep posted:

I start getting hungry for TP around the same time my bard does during T11/T10, I can usually last until my second Goad goes out to the bard and the monk needs TP again.

This is pretty much it, though T10 is mostly fine due to me playing it safe with getting to form the wall early, T11 can go either way depending on how often I have to run out of dodge for chain lightnings or whatever T12 I expect to be pain by the time my casual static gets past benu phase regularly.

I will addendum this by the fact I am about a bad player who sometimes has to wait for mudras due to weird ping spikes.

Double edit: No the worst is when you do the inputs in time but because of ping spikes you hit The complete move before your last input is "done", or as I call it the Fuma of shame.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 28, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Lag loving your mudras is the worst :tizzy:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kitfox88 posted:

Lag loving your mudras is the worst :tizzy:

Yes it is, I hate trying to hit a Suiton or a Huton and then lag spiking into the rabbit or wrong damage.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
I'm finally free, no more checking for Overcast/Fog into Heatwave every waking hour.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Baby popoto Small Potatoes (tiny female lalafell) is born! Goodbye thread :) We didn't name her small potatoes as originally planned. :magical:

PS: easiest baby to deal with ever thus far: screams, feeds, sleeps, poops at some point imbetween. See you all in a year, ish!

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
FFXIV GOTY

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Baby popoto Small Potatoes (tiny female lalafell) is born! Goodbye thread :) We didn't name her small potatoes as originally planned. :magical:

PS: easiest baby to deal with ever thus far: screams, feeds, sleeps, poops at some point imbetween. See you all in a year, ish!

Congrats on the new addition! :)

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

SEND HELP.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Did she have that tar poo in her first diaper? That was the first big shock when my son was born.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

PhilippAchtel posted:

Did she have that tar poo in her first diaper? That was the first big shock when my son was born.

Like 3 times, about 15x as much as we expected. Meconium is weird but so is the humor of an incredibly gassy baby that is farting like an adult.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

No monk loot :shepface:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKwdP__of_U

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

I am almost certain you are not deaf. Like 99.8% sure.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So I've been having FPS issues for a while and today I narrowed down the culprits to two things: dungeon entrance effects and those purple "locked" wall effects that appear for various bosses.

The game runs nicely at 55-60 FPS, but when I have that on screen it suddenly drops to 25-35, and gets stuttery. Anyone else get this? Any workarounds?

Ed: After some investigation apparently it also happens on SLI (I have crossfire). Turning off crossfire makes the framerate "stable" in that I'm constantly in the 25fps range then, which is worse.

Also, there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done about it. Every time this happens a single cpu core goes to 100%, and GPU usage plummets, suggesting massive overhead when drawing 2D shapes. Hoping this is just a dx9 inefficiency and the dx11 client fixes it. :ohdear:

Truga fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 29, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Velthice posted:

I am almost certain you are not deaf. Like 99.8% sure.

Are you sharing a forums account with Belzac or what?

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Are you sharing a forums account with Belzac or what?

Take it easy, friend. Just making a friendly jab at one of my own raid members.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
For the record though Belzac is a good poster and probably very handsome to boot.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Velthice posted:

For the record though Belzac is a good poster and probably very handsome to boot.

There is no accounting for taste.

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

We now pronounce you, Slime and Catgirl. You may kiss the Slime.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Guess who just got their rear end 90 days of anime-as-gently caress punchfist sim this game. Sadly, I'm on Midgardsormr with my character and I probably shouldn't pay to transfer it to Excalibur. So I guess I can find the goon guild there... Anything new with punchfistgirl role or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

loving FINALLY

• Locked thread