Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Travis343 posted:

Thats pretty much it. Theres a few scattered loonies on Tumblr that are claiming that the new dub calling the main character Usagi instead of Serena is actually racist but for the most part everyone is overjoyed to finally get an uncut release of the show. Theres a few A/V nerds having nerd babies over some video quality issues that are literally imperceptible unless youre looking at a side by side still image comparison trying to see ghosting or whatever.

Crystal was supposed to be a more faithful adaptation of the manga but it's deviated in a lot of ways most notably leaving the four generals alive and having them be boyfriends with the sailor senshi. Its got some pretty awful/hilarious animation in a lot of it and is pretty disappointing overall.

Ironically if people are talking about censorship there is supposedly some in Crystal, the rumor is they aren't allowed to show the main characters actually killing anybody so instead of Sailor Mars burning Jadeite's face off he gets vaporized by a beam by another bad guy, and instead of Beryl getting impaled on a broadsword she crumbles to ash after the mind control necklace she had on is broken. Basically nobody in Crystal is actually evil except for Metallia and she's like a cloud of gas or something anyway, so they will be able to kill her probably.

Tumblr is amazing, what's the logic behind sticking to the Japanese name being racist? Something about cultural appropriation I imagine.

The whole good guys can't kill thing was in the old anime as well though. Villains either get turned good, get killed by their co-workers or by their boss for having failed them for the last time, or self-destruct due to incredible incompetence. For Crystal I'm just gonna wait and see how they handle the Spectre Sisters but at this point it's probably going to take the same route, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Ugh, You-saggy just doesn't sound as pretty as Serena!"

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry
I'm heavily paraphrasing here as the arguments one person gave are near-impenetrable in their ridiculously warped logic. But basically she feels that she absolutely cannot emotionally or intellectually connect with a fictional character who doesn't speak English and doesn't have an English name. Therefore, 90s English dub or nothing, and VIZ is oppressing her by erasing the "original" version of the series.

The racism garbage is her accusing the series of being racist because a group of villains are called "Black Moon" and they didn't consider the English-language cultural implications of calling one villain "Black Lady." And yes, people pointed out that light/dark metaphors have existed for millennia.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Or, to put it absolutely short, Such clap was uttered on Tumblr.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ALFbrot posted:

sailor_moon_crystal.jpg

She's my favorite character in Princess Jellyfish

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I love the way the lines on that end in that perfect, rounded, default-line-draw-tool-in-Illustrator way

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Travis343 posted:

I love the way the lines on that end in that perfect, rounded, default-line-draw-tool-in-Illustrator way

I feel like Illustrator should have a content-aware thing that says "Oh, no. Nooope." and makes you re-do your work after drawing something like that transformation pen

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Its like when you see somebody using those default grass or leaf brushes that come with Photoshop and you immediately know you can safely ignore this person

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Travis343 posted:

Thats pretty much it. Theres a few scattered loonies on Tumblr that are claiming that the new dub calling the main character Usagi instead of Serena is actually racist but for the most part everyone is overjoyed to finally get an uncut release of the show.

Dopefish Lives! posted:

I'm heavily paraphrasing here as the arguments one person gave are near-impenetrable in their ridiculously warped logic. But basically she feels that she absolutely cannot emotionally or intellectually connect with a fictional character who doesn't speak English and doesn't have an English name. Therefore, 90s English dub or nothing, and VIZ is oppressing her by erasing the "original" version of the series.

The racism garbage is her accusing the series of being racist because a group of villains are called "Black Moon" and they didn't consider the English-language cultural implications of calling one villain "Black Lady." And yes, people pointed out that light/dark metaphors have existed for millennia.

For clarity, there's one person making these claims. Her name's "nangbaby" and she's both bananas and deeply unpleasant. She takes everything incredibly personally, including decisions made by people who don't even know she exists, stews on every slight disappointment in life until it becomes a gaping, festering wound in her soul, and constantly claims that she doesn't mind people disagreeing with her respectfully, but every time someone does disagree with her it doesn't meet her standards of "respect" and is "dehumanising" her.

She apparently does not see the irony, given that the whole personal trauma that started her on this crusade was when she discovered that the character she loved on Sailor Moon, Amy Anderson, who is very smart and bookish and gets mocked for it a lot including by her supposed friends (nangbaby identified with this, although reading what she writes makes it clear that she's actually not all that smart), was originally created as Ami Mizuno, and is never actually mocked for being smart or bookish. In fact people are in awe of her intelligence and some people make a false assumption that she's stuck up because of it (when in fact she's shy and feels that her intelligence is her only good point). Ami came from a different culture, her name was pronounced slightly differently from "Amy," and therefore the empathy that nangbaby felt for her was DESTROYED AT A STROKE and it BROKE HER HEART and she felt ROBBED and yeah, CRUSADE. And she just can't understand why other people can't see that it's impossible to empathise with a character from a different culture and there's nothing racist about that.

But Naoko Takeuchi "hates black people" because she used the words "black" and "white" for MOONS.

And nangbaby will take literally any instance of someone who only ever saw the DiC/Cloverway American English dubs in childhood casually referring to the heroes as "Sailor Scouts" and using dub names like Serena, Amy, Raye, Lita and Mina as unassailable evidence that there are lots of people all over the internet who feel just the way she does. This is what may have given the impression that there are "a few scattered loonies" making these claims. There is one loony and she's plenty scattered enough on her own.
She also accused (through a sockpuppet anon) the popular Sailor Moon tumblr-er Jet Wolf of "silencing her apology" because Jet Wolf, who doesn't follow nangbaby's tumblr and tries to avoid her at all costs, hadn't reblogged it and, I guess, said that all was forgiven and she had been wrong to ever disagree with nangbaby in the first place? I was intrigued when I saw this and went digging through nangbaby's blog for anything remotely resembling an apology, and found only a bizarre rant of self-justification/martyrdom containing phrases like "I'm sorry I tried to empathise."

Sorry. You see here the fruits of my horrified fascination with a total dingbat.

It's amazing how ill-informed a lot of Sailor Moon fans on tumblr are in general. It's been well publicised for months that Sailor Moon Crystal will only cover the first two plot arcs, and obvious from the sloppy production that TOEI has rushed out that they don't care enough about it to renew it, but posts speculating about how the Outer Senshi and even the Sailor Starlights may be handled by Crystal still abound. I also read one post suggesting that instead of casting English-speaking actors to record the new dub, they should "just" get the original Japanese voice cast to record it in English. Which would be totally practical, given that none of the original cast speak fluent English, some of them are retired/semi-retired from acting, and at least one of them (the actress who voiced Seiya/Sailor Star Fighter) is dead.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Thanks, yeah that's who I was thinking of.

Though I stand by my "loonies" comment, given that it's Tumblr there has got to be at least one other person that agrees with her.

e: It's also worth mentioning that Tumblr loving loves Crystal, and was legit sobbing oh my god the feels I can't even when the Shitennou got offed and the girls spent 2 whole seconds weeping over their dead boyfurendos.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Hahaha tumblr is a wasteland of morons.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I notice that the reboot of this anime is mired in 'controversy' and lots of whiny grognardery from people. Can anyone fill me in on why people are mad about things like 'censorship' and someone changing Usagi's name to Serena? I remember her name being Serena in the original run, so why all the hubub?

I'm enjoying Crystal, but wow is it getting a mixed reception. I think it's some bullshit cultural identity touchstone thing - liking Crystal means retroactively enjoying your childhood less or whatever.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Dove from Above posted:

Sailor Moon tumblr-er Jet Wolf of

Holy poo poo I recognize that name from when I was a kid. Tumblr-er is not the word I would leap to, she's been around for nearly twenty years.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

neongrey posted:

Holy poo poo I recognize that name from when I was a kid. Tumblr-er is not the word I would leap to, she's been around for nearly twenty years.

Yes, absolutely, going back to dinosaur times when people had character shrines on GeoCities and bought VHS fansubs from VKLL, but she's currently most active on Tumblr.

Travis343 posted:

Thanks, yeah that's who I was thinking of.

Though I stand by my "loonies" comment, given that it's Tumblr there has got to be at least one other person that agrees with her.

e: It's also worth mentioning that Tumblr loving loves Crystal, and was legit sobbing oh my god the feels I can't even when the Shitennou got offed and the girls spent 2 whole seconds weeping over their dead boyfurendos.

Tumblr is sharply divided between people who love Crystal uncritically and people who are bitterly disappointed by it, with very few vocal people in between. The trouble is that in both camps there are too many people who feel they've got to yell at the other camp for feeling the way they do, rather than figuring "Well I don't enjoy it but it's nice for them that they do" or "It's okay if they don't like it, that doesn't take anything away from my enjoyment." So it all turns into a middle-school-level fight in which everyone attacks everyone else's personality, tastes and perceived loyalties.
The ones who irk me the most are those who insist that everyone would like Crystal if they only read the manga and understood it's like the manga, mangamangamanga (bzzt, untrue, I have read the manga from stem to stern and I think Crystal is rubbish).

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Dove from Above posted:

Yes, absolutely, going back to dinosaur times when people had character shrines on GeoCities and bought VHS fansubs from VKLL, but she's currently most active on Tumblr.

Thanks for visiting my site. Sign my guestbook and check out other Minako-chan shrines in my webring!

*clicks on visitor counter*

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Thanks for visiting my site. Sign my guestbook and check out other Minako-chan shrines in my webring!

*clicks on visitor counter*

I'm totally not ashamed to admit that I totally had a Makoto fansite back in the day. :colbert:

But I used Angelfire, not Geocities. I wish I could remember the name of the page. I would love to see if it's somehow managed to survive this long.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

a cartoon duck posted:

The whole good guys can't kill thing was in the old anime as well though. Villains either get turned good, get killed by their co-workers or by their boss for having failed them for the last time, or self-destruct due to incredible incompetence.

Kunzite was killed in the original anime by Sailor Moon reflecting his own energy blades at him though. I mean I guess technically she didn't use one of her own attacks against him but she still basically killed him.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Dexie posted:

I'm totally not ashamed to admit that I totally had a Makoto fansite back in the day. :colbert:

But I used Angelfire, not Geocities. I wish I could remember the name of the page. I would love to see if it's somehow managed to survive this long.

Hah, I think Angelfire was the worst with poo poo falling out of existance, them and Tripod both had that issue(I think that was the name of it).

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those 1990s fanpages are still slinking around, though.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Kunzite was killed in the original anime by Sailor Moon reflecting his own energy blades at him though. I mean I guess technically she didn't use one of her own attacks against him but she still basically killed him.

And the last of the Witches 5 was killed by tricking them into shooting each other. Technicalities are nice like that.

Actually wasn't Esmeraude killed after she turned into a dragon? I guess turning into a monster is also a loophole and lets you actually use your own attacks. Mostly though I just love how at the end of R they still had three of the Witches 5 left so they all completely self-destructed in the dumbest ways while still being portrayed as more competent than Eudial and Mimet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Hah, I think Angelfire was the worst with poo poo falling out of existance, them and Tripod both had that issue(I think that was the name of it).

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those 1990s fanpages are still slinking around, though.

There's like an early 2000s Tripod site dedicated to Hao from Shaman King's pants that's still up. I know this because it was the oddest fansite I had ever been to.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

There's like an early 2000s Tripod site dedicated to Hao from Shaman King's pants that's still up. I know this because it was the oddest fansite I had ever been to.

To be fair, Hao did have some bitching pants.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Dove from Above posted:

The ones who irk me the most are those who insist that everyone would like Crystal if they only read the manga and understood it's like the manga, mangamangamanga (bzzt, untrue, I have read the manga from stem to stern and I think Crystal is rubbish).

You're not alone. I'm most familiar with the manga and enjoy it, and Crystal has been nothing but a disappointment to me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can accept the sparser character development in the manga, but I thought the reimagined anime would take more time to focus on the Senshi. Being more faithful to the manga made me think of no demon tree poo poo, slightly different personalities for the main cast, quite a bit of difference in the overall story, etc. Instead it's basically one manga issue per episode, which I think was a very bad idea.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The demon tree stuff was really good though.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Travis343 posted:

The demon tree stuff was really good though.

Exactly, it was awesome. Total filler, only exists because Naoko Takeuchi needed more time to come up with her second plot arc, plus the anime had given everyone a memory wipe at the end of the first season for a neat and tidy ending if they didn't get another season. And it has a lot of the best character and relationship development in the show.
Then they joined up with the manga plot again, but for some terrible reason introduced the whole "Mamoru breaks up with Usagi because he had a scary dream and won't even tell her why, then later it turns out that was only his future self psychically dicking with him" complication. I did not need that. Nobody needed that. One of the best drat parts of the Doom Tree mini-arc is that it brings Usagi and Mamoru back together, and Mamoru falls in love with Usagi again without knowing anything about the whole past lives deal. So we know that he loves her, and is acting of his own free will, rather than being bound to repeat the pattern of Endymion's life. I love that.

And then they go and screw the pooch by having him dump her because of an alarming yet vague premonition, without showing her the respect of levelling with her and letting her decide for herself whether she was willing to take the risk.

The only good thing about that mess was the time she wore a beard of tears.

That's quality animation right there. (Also love the height difference between Ami and Makoto.)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I like crystal, I just wish for more you know? I want to see the characters develop.

Also, I finished Revolutionary Girl Utena.

drat.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dove from Above posted:

letting her decide for herself whether she was willing to take the risk.

I agree it's a lovely thing to do. On the other hand, she's 14. :v:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I sorta like Crystal, I just wish Toei gave a gently caress about the show instead of not caring and giving us terrible animation.

Also I wish there was more character development. But really, that's secondary to the animation. At least the music and voice acting are phenomenal.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I sorta like Crystal, I just wish Toei gave a gently caress about the show instead of not caring and giving us terrible animation.
Toei really needs to be nailed to a wall when all is said and done.

They won't. But they really do.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Did the manga ever have Mamoru turn into the a-rab? I can't remember the name but he looked like he fell out of a pulp 99 Nights book. I wonder if Crystal will do this.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Did the manga ever have Mamoru turn into the a-rab? I can't remember the name but he looked like he fell out of a pulp 99 Nights book. I wonder if Crystal will do this.

The Moonlight Knight was an amazing anime fever dream.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Truga posted:

I agree it's a lovely thing to do. On the other hand, she's 14. :v:

She already died and saved the world and came back once, then she saved the world again without needing to die, and I guess the R movie doesn't come along until later in continuity because Chibs is in it but Mamoru and Usagi are also definitely together... I'm just saying he could have a little more faith in her resilience by this point.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The Moonlight Knight was anime-only, because it was part of that Doom Tree mini-arc at the start of R. He's actually inspired by an earlier Japanese superhero whose name I can't remember right now - but he had the same gimmick of Arab-esque white clothing and a name with a moon or moonlight reference in it, and had a cheesy fun live-action TV show. It's basically like if an American guy unconsciously created a psychic projection of himself inspired by Adam West's Batman.

Ah! I found the reference: Moonlight Mask. Isn't that absolutely delightful?

I just want us all to bask in the radiance of what a tremendous dork Mamoru is.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I forget the exact details but wasn't Moonlight Night his sorta Stand/Persona thingy or some such nonsense?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I forget the exact details but wasn't Moonlight Night his sorta Stand/Persona thingy or some such nonsense?

I wanna say that it sorta appeared out of his subconscious while he was asleep, but there's a very high chance I'm making that up.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

SystemLogoff posted:

Also, I finished Revolutionary Girl Utena.

drat.

Excellent, Utena is friggin' great... Did you see the movie too?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

XboxPants posted:

I wanna say that it sorta appeared out of his subconscious while he was asleep, but there's a very high chance I'm making that up.

Sort of, it's a separate entity he created subconsciously but it would show up all the time. Moonlight Knight could be in the same place as Mamoru and he had no idea what he was doing. Usagi of course assumed the Moonlight Knight was Mamoru and was baffled when MK showed up and saved her and Mamo-chan when they were playing laser tag.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Well, I think we reached a new low on characters actually moving on-screen. RIP the tiny rest of the animation budget, can't wait for the Black Moon arc.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This was the worst one yet. I can't believe it's not over. An episode called "Final Battle: Reincarnation" and it still ended with Sailor Moon going, "Now I'll defeat you!" (next time)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Toei have shown they can and will gently caress with the story so I'm in no mood to back them up with "This is how it happened in the manga!" anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I still can't get over how neither Usagi nor Mamoru was actually touched by the sword but they both just...passed out and pretended to be dead for a while because???

Confession time I have not read that far into the manga, but this was unbelievably stupid, and I refuse to believe that's how it worked out in the manga either.

• Locked thread