Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

azflyboy posted:

Apparently getting on an airplane with "asia" as part of the company name is a really bad idea, since they seem to have developed a habit of crashing into seawalls, disappearing, or getting shot down over the last 18 months.

Interestingly, AirAsia is also based in Malaysia, so this has been a spectacularly awful year for airline safety in that country.

Was this an AirAsia flight, or an AirAsia Indonesia flight? Not that Indonesia's safety record is too great either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
According to Google, the aircraft that disappeared is registered to Indonesia AirAsia, so I guess it was the affiliate carrier.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Here's a handy link to pass around to folks not in the aviation world. Hopefully it will minimize the stupidity on your timelines or Facebook feeds.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Here's a handy link to pass around to folks not in the aviation world. Hopefully it will minimize the stupidity on your timelines or Facebook feeds.

That's a handy link, and is depressingly accurate.

The handbook does need to be updated with "Ignore everything CNN (especially Wolf Blitzer or Don Lemon) says", since I'm sure one of those two morons will blame North Korea, a black hole, pirates, Russia, or something equally stupid within the next 24 hours.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

azflyboy posted:

That's a handy link, and is depressingly accurate.

The handbook does need to be updated with "Ignore everything CNN (especially Wolf Blitzer or Don Lemon) says", since I'm sure one of those two morons will blame North Korea, a black hole, pirates, Russia, or something equally stupid within the next 24 hours.

I'm waiting for the Asian airliner curse to become a thing :tinfoil:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Oh god. I had forgotten about the black hole theory.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

jaegerx posted:

Oh god. I had forgotten about the black hole theory.

Well, it would explain how they can make the trip in seven minutes. Until they have a resonance cascade...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Well, it would explain how they can make the trip in seven minutes. Until they have a resonance cascade...

Impossible - we've assured the administrator nothing would go wrong

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

Impossible - we've assured the administrator nothing would go wrong

Lets boost the output to 105%.

....its probably not a problem, probably, but I'm showing a slight discrepancy....well, no its well within limits.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

The "expert" on MSNBC is talking about the weather in the region and how is it's the worst he's ever known. It's almost like Robert Shaw's monologue in Jaws. :byodood: SHE HAD BLACK EYES...LIKE A DOLLS EYES...HAIL THAT WOULD TEAR A FUSELAGE TO SHREDS!!! :byodood:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well the Asian Monsoon is a real thing and the weather it produces can be pretty goddamn heinous.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Well the Asian Monsoon is a real thing and the weather it produces can be pretty goddamn heinous.

Just ask the Royal Navy c. 18th and early 19th centuries.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 28, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Flying through those monster storms never gets any less awful. Thankfully we had the luxury of looking at the forecaster's screen and saying "nope, we'll try again tomorrow."

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Regarding wx...

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I don't know what you guys were saying about CNN being incompetent. They are a truly great news agency that gives great graphics clearly explaining the aircraft to the viewers.

:byodood:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The armchair experts are out in full force too.

:v: The ground speed was reported at 353kts, that's a little low.

:v: Looks like they climbed 4500ft in about 5 minutes, that seems pretty steep

:fuckoff:

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Nato - nitrous assisted take off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ1ekkOca5A&

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Spaced God posted:

I don't know what you guys were saying about CNN being incompetent. They are a truly great news agency that gives great graphics clearly explaining the aircraft to the viewers.

I don't understand, are we supposed to go help find it with this information?

Edit: I didn't even notice it wasn't the same plane for the three views at first looking. Now I'm really going to have trouble finding it.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 29, 2014

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I love how they give the dimensions down to the hundredth of a foot, but can't consistently say how many engines it's supposed to have.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
An aircraft mishap yet again demonstrates that the modern world believes aviation to be mostly comprised of magic.

Yep. That'll rank as a weather cancel any day.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

iyaayas01 posted:

Regarding wx...

krispykremessuck posted:

:stare:

Yikes.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Spaced God posted:

FFFFFFF

CBC had pictures of a A320 - that morphed into a 787 from time to time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

:v: Looks like they climbed 4500ft in about 5 minutes, that seems pretty steep

Must work for bombardier.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Must work for bombardier.

:iceburn:

That kind of stuff just cracks me up though. Especially the ground speed thing. Did you happen to pull up a wind chart before you came to your idiotic conclusion? I can't even tell you how many air carriers I've seen cruising at well under 300kts over the ground due to the winds lately. Also worked this one today. Look at that loving speed during the climb. We were flipping them poo poo about it the whole time. Especially since there was a C310 at 5000ft doing 80 knots faster.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

fknlo posted:

That kind of stuff just cracks me up though. Especially the ground speed thing. Did you happen to pull up a wind chart before you came to your idiotic conclusion? I can't even tell you how many air carriers I've seen cruising at well under 300kts over the ground due to the winds lately. Also worked this one today. Look at that loving speed during the climb. We were flipping them poo poo about it the whole time. Especially since there was a C310 at 5000ft doing 80 knots faster.

Eh, it's a Mustang, the slowest of any already slow-as-balls family of aircraft. Seriously, a King Air 350 is faster point-to-point over just about any distance either aircraft can fly, plus you can actually stand up in a King Air (and pee in private, if you spec'ed your interior properly). A pilot I used to fly with liked trolling Citation (sorry, Twin Cessna) drivers by descending just below Vmo, only to have ATC call us up to tell us to slow down for Citation traffic ahead.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
The little jet engines give you just enough power to climb into ridiculous headwinds.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So I'm a shitbird with a university degree but not very good marks and anyway I hate that subject(finance). Should I take the AIRCRAFT STRUCTURES TECHNICIAN at SAIT and then fix planes for a living? It sounds kind of cool and I've generally been interested in the field since I was young but life sort of took me in other directions. I had some friends in the army who make pretty good livings fixing planes and even get to travel to exotic locales to do it. My parents both work in the UAE so it might be cool if that worked out. I don't drink or do anything else intoxicating and am mostly vegetarian so life under Shari'a is actually pretty appealing.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 29, 2014

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

fknlo posted:

Chill the gently caress out and have a wind chart

The AVHerald article for the crash has a photo of a radar screen with this flight showing the mentioned 353 knots on the ground, while a nearby Emirates flight shows over 500. I appreciate the fact that they are not the same aircraft type, but the difference between a 777 and an A320 shouldn't be 150 knots. Someone over on another forum surmised this puts the EAS for the A320 somewhere on the dangerous side of 180 knots, and this is not even considering ISA+15 temperature.

http://avherald.com/h?article=47f6abc7&opt=0

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 29, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Throatwarbler posted:

So I'm a shitbird with a university degree but not very good marks and anyway I hate that subject(finance). Should I take the AIRCRAFT STRUCTURES TECHNICIAN at SAIT and then fix planes for a living? It sounds kind of cool and I've generally been interested in the field since I was young but life sort of took me in other directions.

Would you enjoy working in what is possibly the least stable industry in the world?

Do you like shady employers who will use every trick in the book to keep you working, but off the payroll?

Do you like constantly looking for a job, even after working an 84hr work week at your current one, because they might cease operations the following week?

Do you like working more than forty hours a week, but not earning overtime, because you're a "contractor?"

Do you want to work every holiday, weekend, and special event for the next ten years (minimum) of your life?

Do you like jobs with no paid vacation leave, or sick leave?

Do you like working rotating shifts?

Do you like to be electrocuted?

Do you enjoy working at heights, with insufficient, likely-improperly-maintained safety gear?

Do you like working midnights?

Do you like working nothing BUT midnights?

Do you like human excrement? Blue water leaks are a thing that happens on the regular.

Do you like taking showers in fluids that humans should not take showers in? This one is sometimes related to the previous.

Do you like hearing loss before your thirtieth birthday?

Are you prepared to put in ten or fifteen years to move to the top of a seniority list that will become irrelevant during the next merger, moving you to the bottom of a new list, where you will remain until the next merger, if you're lucky enough that your airline doesn't go out of business completely?

:eng99:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tsuru posted:

Chill the gently caress out and have a wind chart

That's fine and dandy. I'm just pointing out the people coming to conclusions without that kind of stuff.

Going by that picture posted in that article, the difference in direction at that time could easily account for the speed difference between the two. That and the fact that pretty much every aircraft I've ever dealt with slowing down when they hit turbulence can lead to the slower speed as well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Do you like ....

Somehow this sounds quite similar to finance - although in finance the "human excrement" bit might be more metaphoric than literal. As an aviation mechanic you can cause a plane to crash. In finance, you can crash THE WORLD!

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
90% of aviation maintenance is poo poo with poo poo employers working in awful conditions roaming from job to job unless you are super lucky. There is no bright spot in this field. Oh I hope you like nights because airplanes only get fixed at night.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Today's drama at Gatwick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLpRu1EzyGE

One of the 747s many many gears wouldn't retract, so they hung around after departure and landed after some time circling. Seems to carry its weight well, no scrapes. Is that horizontal stab trimmed asymmetrically?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Boeing stabs, as far as I'm aware, cannot be trimmed asymmetrically.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Regardless, good landing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

So I'm a shitbird with a university degree but not very good marks and anyway I hate that subject(finance). Should I take the AIRCRAFT STRUCTURES TECHNICIAN at SAIT and then fix planes for a living? It sounds kind of cool and I've generally been interested in the field since I was young but life sort of took me in other directions. I had some friends in the army who make pretty good livings fixing planes and even get to travel to exotic locales to do it. My parents both work in the UAE so it might be cool if that worked out. I don't drink or do anything else intoxicating and am mostly vegetarian so life under Shari'a is actually pretty appealing.

What the other guys say is true, unless you go in to avionics. Realistically the Canadian AME licence isn't very portable and the -S even less so, even though the trade is in demand. That being said, the stuff you will learn will keep you employed as long as you want to work, and the scope of structures extends well beyond the aircraft industry. If you want portability, go for maintenance or avionics, then write your EASA B1/B2 license and make boatloads of money working in the desert for horrible bosses.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Ola posted:

One of the 747s many many gears wouldn't retract, so they hung around after departure and landed after some time circling. Seems to carry its weight well, no scrapes. Is that horizontal stab trimmed asymmetrically?

More like would not extend, either. It lands without right-wing undercarriage.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 29, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The video says that the plane was enroute to Las Vegas. So, there must have been some sort of warning about the gear shortly after takeoff that then prevented it from coming back down?

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Looks more like a hydraulic problem to me... outboard right elevator also does not appear to be working, and half the flight spoilers also do not deploy on touchdown.

A job well done regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ola posted:

That's as good as a landing as anyone could've hoped for.

bull3964 posted:

The video says that the plane was enroute to Las Vegas. So, there must have been some sort of warning about the gear shortly after takeoff that then prevented it from coming back down?

Yea, right upon retraction after takeoff. There's a set of lights that indicate gear position.