Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daman
Oct 28, 2011

Eonwe posted:

tell us more about how I was careposting about g0t_hats, friend

just click your post history? "broken record" comes to mind

hey if you want a cool thread to discuss the non-merits of star citizen for the 1000th time you should check out gbs, lots of posters like yourself there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you seem pretty salty, im sorry your friend g0t_hats the guy who says creepy pedo poo poo got banned

you should move on and post griefs like I did

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Daman posted:

just click your post history? "broken record" comes to mind

hey if you want a cool thread to discuss the non-merits of star citizen for the 1000th time you should check out gbs, lots of posters like yourself there

I wonder if this person griefed themselves by going through my post history :stare:

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Eye of Widesauron posted:

You've been in the Eve crowd for awhile and you're what I would consider to be a good poster so maybe you can shed some light on this:

How many people if any quit Eve and divested themselves in order to buy a pile of stuff in Star Citizen?

How much inbreeding is there on that and how deep does the rabbit hole go? :tinfoil:

There's a bit of inbreeding there, but not a ton. Everyone I've run into who has gotten crazy on both Star Citizen and Eve has fallen into two categories:

1) People who got bored with Eve and stopped playing years ago, and have dipped a toe into SC (i.e. less than $100) in the hopes that it might be the next Eve. That's a fair call, imho. Hell, I threw $100 at SC myself during the initial Kickstarter; I didn't expect it to turn into this gigantic moneygrab never-comes-out fiasco.

2) People who get butthurt at something in Eve, ragequit Eve, and throw thousands at SC -- their damaged thinking is that if SC becomes a huge phenomenon, then by supporting SC, they're striking back at CCP for producing such an evil and terrible game.

I've seen more eve players tinker with Elite:Dangerous than with SC, honestly. At least Elite is actually out and playable now, even if there's less game to it than I'd like.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ullerrm posted:

There's a bit of inbreeding there, but not a ton. Everyone I've run into who has gotten crazy on both Star Citizen and Eve has fallen into two categories:

1) People who got bored with Eve and stopped playing years ago, and have dipped a toe into SC (i.e. less than $100) in the hopes that it might be the next Eve. That's a fair call, imho. Hell, I threw $100 at SC myself during the initial Kickstarter; I didn't expect it to turn into this gigantic moneygrab fiasco.

2) People who get butthurt at something in Eve, ragequit Eve, and throw thousands at SC -- their damaged thinking is that if SC becomes a huge phenomenon, then by supporting SC, they're striking back at CCP for producing such an evil and terrible game.

I've seen more eve players tinker with Elite:Dangerous than with SC, honestly. At least Elite is actually out and playable now, even if there's less game to it than I'd like.

The second group made me giggle just thinking about it. I'm sure CCP is shaking in their boots.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

got some griefs hot off of the press

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjED1FzqNHs

i hope we can all enjoy this and not have any problems :kiddo:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Odobenidae posted:

This is the def'n of griefing that you posted lol

those are exactly the same things lmao

No, not exactly. That definition is ambiguous, except that griefing is a direct action and 'making people mad' is one of the possible results.

There is more to it than schadenfreude, or at least there can be.

Either way the important part is whether something is funny or entertaining or interesting to read/watch and discuss.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

who cares

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
i have a Question

Whats the point of paying real money for a spaceship you cant walk around in or hang fuzzy dice in the cockpit?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Eruonen posted:

who cares

you, apparently

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ullerrm posted:

1) People who got bored with Eve and stopped playing years ago, and have dipped a toe into SC (i.e. less than $100) in the hopes that it might be the next Eve. That's a fair call, imho. Hell, I threw $100 at SC myself during the initial Kickstarter; I didn't expect it to turn into this gigantic moneygrab never-comes-out fiasco.

*drops $100 on a game that isn't even out* Hey guys just thought I'd test the waters see what's going on with these spaceships, see you in 11 years!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

VideoGames posted:

you, apparently

you got me good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eruonen posted:

you got me good

you were praising the weirdo saying pedo poo poo for having an epic title that totally got people angry, so, yea he did

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Eonwe posted:

you were praising the weirdo saying pedo poo poo for having an epic title that totally got people angry, so, yea he did

The funny part was that no one was even angry when this all went nuts. He posted asking for someone to please change his title thanks to putting up a video where he made a kid cry, and a few of us replied with basically "Nah, the one you have is better."

Queue shitstorm!

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Odobenidae posted:

got some griefs hot off of the press

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjED1FzqNHs

i hope we can all enjoy this and not have any problems :kiddo:

I shot some guys on my team in some FPS and they called me a fag :troll:

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Eonwe posted:

lol yup i totally praised him

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Azraelle posted:

I shot some guys on my team in some FPS and they called me a fag :troll:

haha thats sick dude, i'm glad u enjoyed the video. some people in this thread just need to loosen up.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

*drops $100 on a game that isn't even out* Hey guys just thought I'd test the waters see what's going on with these spaceships, see you in 11 years!

Is true. When the Kickstarter was going on, it was less "will this game ever come out" and more "is this game going to be attempted in the first place." $100 wasn't going to break my wallet, and maybe I'd have fun when it came out. It's an opportunity cost deal, like pretty much any other game Kickstarters -- I've gotten good poo poo out of backing Kickstarters (Shadowrun:Dragonfall, Shovel Knight, etc) and gotten screwed on others.

If I hadn't done that, and was debating on spending $100 on SC as it stands today? Hell no. I'm very skeptical on SC ever coming out as promised.

Jackard posted:

i have a Question

Whats the point of paying real money for a spaceship you cant walk around in or hang fuzzy dice in the cockpit?

Look at my christmas cheer. LOOK AT IT. (And also my bobbleheads)

Amusingly, I didn't have to pay real money for it -- I sold a bunch of Cicero Crisis mods to pubbies :)

(This is Warframe, if you haven't tried it; it's a pretty decent F2P game where you play robotic ninjas who flip out and kill people. Third person run-and-gun + parkour + occasional 6DOF flying/shooting segments. SA has a pretty good clan for it.)

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 29, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

nthalp posted:

maybe all the clever original griefers moved out. I for one am sad. I guess I just dont find the vent meltdowns all that entertaining. :smith:

It happened once quality griefing was determined to be anything in which someone gets mad and screams into a microphone. Due to the type of people who are joined this thread, I'll use a reddit analogy. On reddit, it became easier to get upvotes on content if you simply grabbed a cool/funny/cute picture and posted it. Quality content like links to articles and self posts for discussion fell to the way side as it took actual effort to do those. So while you get one good link to an article or one good discussion, you also got 50 pictures of cats or memes with some sort of reference to whatever the subreddit was. The same thing happened here. The thread used to be filled with cool stories about using cunning and intelligence to trick people or scam people. Now it's just videos where some guy says some offensive slurs and gets someone else to scream into their microphone for ten minutes.

Now someone quotes this and says "Wow, what a fag" or something and then posts a link to noobz getting owned by an aimbot.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

It happened once quality griefing was determined to be anything in which someone gets mad and screams into a microphone. Due to the type of people who are joined this thread, I'll use a reddit analogy. On reddit, it became easier to get upvotes on content if you simply grabbed a cool/funny/cute picture and posted it. Quality content like links to articles and self posts for discussion fell to the way side as it took actual effort to do those. So while you get one good link to an article or one good discussion, you also got 50 pictures of cats or memes with some sort of reference to whatever the subreddit was. The same thing happened here. The thread used to be filled with cool stories about using cunning and intelligence to trick people or scam people. Now it's just videos where some guy says some offensive slurs and gets someone else to scream into their microphone for ten minutes.

Now someone quotes this and says "Wow, what a fag" or something and then posts a link to noobz getting owned by an aimbot.

Wow, what a fag

noobz getting owned by an aimbot

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnmUuhaEeFo

obama plays black ops 2

epic

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Eye of Widesauron posted:

*shows a kid his weiner and the kid starts to cry*

"LOL OWNED human being"

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

lmao that link

good poo poo

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Was hoping for a cool grief link and wasn't disappointed.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

:agreed:

As for some actual grief content, here's a classic from Eve that I don't think has been posted yet -- suicide-ganking an entire corp in one shot with massed smartbombs, while recording their Teamspeak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRPKiCT1Q9I&t=45s

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

ullerrm posted:

As for some actual grief content, here's a classic from Eve that I don't think has been posted yet -- suicide-ganking an entire corp in one shot with massed smartbombs, while recording their Teamspeak.

yeah man im totally going to watch this ten minute pixelated slideshow and read the spreadsheets all over the gamescreen. what a loving lol grief this is my dude! whoa!!! look at those dots on the screen man, what a masterful grief!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ullerrm posted:

Lol

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

yeah man im totally going to watch this ten minute pixelated slideshow and read the spreadsheets all over the gamescreen. what a loving lol grief this is my dude! whoa!!! look at those dots on the screen man, what a masterful grief!

Hue hue. But actually, I don't mind talking more about this.

In EVE, there's a little splotch of space in the middle of the galaxy called "high-security space" -- it doesn't prevent you from attacking other players, but it does guarantee that if you attack anyone there, the NPC police ("Concord") will show up and kill you. EVE is a permadeath game, so if a ship pops, it's permanently gone, and you've gotta get a new ship. So, there's an entire genre of griefplay in Eve called suicide ganking, where you look at someone's assets (or idiocy level) and make a calculated decision to throw away your ship in order to kill them before the NPC cops show up. The hope is that you'll get loot from them (and from your own wreck) that you can scoop up with an alt, or some tears.

(Goons actually have an annual event where we pick a solar system and show up in massive swarms of little tiny ships, suicide ganking every hauler that comes in or out of the system in a swarm of little bees.)

This guy had infiltrated a mining corp to spy on them, and he chose to use smartbombs (a short-range high-damage AOE weapon) to suicide-gank the entire corporation while they were out mining an asteroid, and then record their Teamspeak when they react. The little spreadsheet to the right of the screen is the list of what's near him in space: i.e. everyone he's killing. You see it switch from the squares of ships, to little pods and triangles and everything dies, and then CONCORD swarms in from the right and kills him in revenge.

Mining isn't exactly high-revenue in Eve -- it's safe and steady but slow -- so these guys will probably be spending a month or more to rebuild the ships he killed in 30 seconds.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 29, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not being sarcastic or ironic, when I say that is a pretty good grief

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

That's legit good poo poo right there.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

ullerrm posted:

Hue hue. But actually, I don't mind talking more about this.

In EVE, there's a little splotch of space in the middle of the galaxy called "high-security space" -- it doesn't prevent you from attacking other players, but it does guarantee that if you attack anyone there, the NPC police ("Concord") will show up and kill you. EVE is a permadeath game, so if a ship pops, it's permanently gone, and you've gotta get a new shop. So, there's an entire genre of griefplay in Eve called suicide ganking, where you look at someone's assets (or idiocy level) and make a calculated decision to throw away your ship in order to kill them before the NPC cops show up. The hope is that you'll get loot from them (and from your own wreck) that you can scoop up with an alt, or some tears.

This guy had infiltrated a mining corp to spy on them, and he chose to use smartbombs (a short-range high-damage AOE weapon) to suicide-gank the entire corporation while they were out mining an asteroid, and then record their Teamspeak when they react. The little spreadsheet to the right of the screen is the list of what's near him in space: i.e. everyone he's killing. You see it switch from the squares of ships, to little pods and triangles and everything dies, and then CONCORD swarms in from the right and kills him in revenge.

Mining isn't exactly high-revenue in Eve -- it's safe and steady but slow -- so these guys will probably be spending a month or more to rebuild the ships he killed in 30 seconds.

*tugs at collar* err yeah um but when do they call the other guys niggers and fags haha

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Average Bear posted:

*tugs at collar* err yeah um but when do they call the other guys niggers and fags haha

We mostly call each other niggers and faggots. CCP did a trailer a while back that was all put together from player videos, and there was no Goon comms in there for a reason. :P

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Average Bear posted:

ullerrm posted:

We mostly call each other niggers and faggots. CCP did a trailer a while back that was all put together from player videos, and there was no Goon comms in there for a reason. :P

unironically lol

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Killing mining operations is the only thing I've done so far in EVE and I'm okay with that because it's fun.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

ullerrm posted:

*that scene in gladiator when commidus begrudgingly thumbs up maximus*

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

ullerrm posted:

hey remember when mawg got super mad and start trying to quote legal reasons at the mods and admins for using the audio from the retarded state of the goonion speech

this was like 2007/2008

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
This will be my last post in this thread but i would like to reiterate that griefing is wrong and totally not my poo poo. While i am glad someone was punished i would have also liked this thread shut down and declared illegal. Goodbye

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

THE PENETRATOR posted:

This will be my last post in this thread but i would like to reiterate that griefing is wrong and totally not my poo poo. While i am glad someone was punished i would have also liked this thread shut down and declared illegal. Goodbye

same

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
In GTA5 there is a large dual-rotor helicopter called a Cargobob with a hook that can pick up vehicles, even when players are driving them. Nothing is better than picking up unsuspecting pubbies, flying into the clouds and launching their car into the sea / mountain / nearest skyscraper.

Another fun thing to do with it is to steal other players $100k+ cars while they're in a clothes or gun store, then dropping them off on a nearby rooftop and watching them try and find a way up to it. They get so mad. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

THE PENETRATOR posted:

your gimmick is kind of boring anyway

• Locked thread