Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Inch and a half of snow and people have gone completely loving mental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been in a mountain town for Christmas, got over a foot of lovely powder the past few days. Everyone drives perfectly reasonably and it's been amazing.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Music is fine. Trying to hold a conversation with someone who isn't in the car with you is not.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MiniFoo posted:

Music is fine. Trying to hold a conversation with someone who isn't in the car with you is not.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that conversations with someone who's in the car can be equally distracting. They can be better, but it basically depends on the other person being attentive enough to realize when it's time to STFU.

Otherwise it's all down to the driver's ability to focus on the driving and ignore the conversation as necessary, which shouldn't differ based on where the other party is.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 225 days!)

"Yeah, uh-huh, I'm driving. Shut up." usually works for me. V:shobon:v

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wolrah posted:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that conversations with someone who's in the car can be equally distracting. They can be better, but it basically depends on the other person being attentive enough to realize when it's time to STFU.

Otherwise it's all down to the driver's ability to focus on the driving and ignore the conversation as necessary, which shouldn't differ based on where the other party is.

Yeah the gist of it is that physically holding the phone means gently caress-all in terms of damaging your driving ability. The actual problem is with the cognitive resources you use to hold a conversation with somebody, which come from the same "pool" of resources you use to drive a car. I don't take handsfree calls in my car anymore since I realized that after the call was over I'd have no memory of what I did while driving as if I was under highway hypnosis.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I was hands free on my phone on my way home from work when an SUV stopped in the left lane causing the car behind them to get rear ended by the next car (I posted it in this thread earlier, about a day or two after it happened), and I was still attentive enough to avoid joining in on the car wreck. I did scream "Oh poo poo!" and divert my full attention to the road when it happened, maybe next time could be different but I just don't feel that driving on a phone hands free is a death sentence. I may or may not have been fully engaged in the conversation with my wife at the time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nothing's a guaranteed death sentence, including hands free or hands on phone use, heavy conversations with a passenger, or putting your makeup on and eating cereal. They just increase the likelihood of an incident in varying amounts.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

While looking at your phone at a red light might not be particularly dangerous, in my experience of :catstare:ing down into people's cars, they do not suddenly put the phone away as soon as traffic starts moving again. They just have to finish reading that last bit of text, which leads them to driving over the lines, completely the wrong speed, and not reacting to traffic conditions at all until they get off the loving thing. I don't have sympathy for people pulled over for being on their phone at lights because if you are not disciplined enough to ignore it at a red light you are not disciplined to ignore it once traffic starts moving again.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My favorite texter at a red light story is the one Slow is Fast told me a while ago. He blipped the horn and some idiot who was texting at the light assumed they were holding up traffic (apparently this happened a lot, based on their reaction) and immediately accelerated... straight into the back of the still stopped car in front of them. Without looking. :v::v::v::v:

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Speaking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn9EH1SGlmY

Still have no idea how she managed it, it doesn't look like she was holding a phone (unless she just dropped it after hitting the bike).

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

CHP will slowly lane split and look into peoples windows to give tickets. It doesn't help much seeing as how it looks like every other car has the inside glowing from a cell screen when I commute home at night.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ephphatha posted:

Speaking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn9EH1SGlmY

Still have no idea how she managed it, it doesn't look like she was holding a phone (unless she just dropped it after hitting the bike).

I had that happen to me! I stopped at a red in the right turn lane. I watched the woman behind me stop. I looked left to see if there was oncoming traffic (there was) and suddenly felt a bump. She "thought I had gone" and just pulled forward without looking. I was fully stopped, feet on the ground, hand on the brake (brake lights glowing), and there was traffic, so no where for me to go.

She didn't have a cell phone to her ear, but said she was looking for the airport which was like five miles away.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
A meta-study done by the Swedish Road Administration (title: Analysis of the literature - the use of mobile phones while driving) notes the following interesting things (among others, my bolding):

quote:

Regardless of whether the phone is handheld or handsfree, there is strong
evidence that the actual task of conversing on the phone, whether it be listening or talking, while driving
places significant cognitive demands on drivers and distracts them from concentrating on the safe
operation of the vehicle and any hazards arising in the road environment. Experimental evidence shows
that mobile phone conversations while driving, regardless of whether they are conducted on handheld
or handsfree devices, affect measures of driving performance.

quote:

The dangers of mobile phone use relative to other important crash risks (e.g., alcohol intoxication) have
also been examined and it can be concluded that when driving conditions and time on task are
controlled for, the impairments associated with using a mobile phone while driving can be as profound
as those associated with driving while intoxicated by alcohol.

quote:

Additional work by Hunton and Rose (2005) that examined the effects of conversation mode on driving
performance also support the suggestion that mobile phone and in-vehicle passenger conversations are
different and that mobile phone conversations consume more attention and interfere more with driving
than passenger conversations.
The authors suggest that mobile phone conversations lack the non-verbal
cues available during close-contact conversation and conversation participants expended more cognitive
resources to compensate for the lack of such clues.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Coincidentally, someone I know linked a video on facebook of a guy spotting a copper using her phone at a traffic light:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152497327049667

I was with him up until the "flippin' pigs" comment.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Someone might have stolen my brother's ipod out of his car yesterday. Is crucifixion an over-the-top punishment for thievery?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Depends on how much they damaged the car getting in.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Depends on how much they damaged the car getting in.
No it doesn't.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

InitialDave posted:

No it doesn't.

You're right. They should be strung up by their balls regardless.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

A meta-study done by the Swedish Road Administration (title: Analysis of the literature - the use of mobile phones while driving) notes the following interesting things (among others, my bolding):

quote:

mobile phone conversations consume more attention and interfere more with driving
than passenger conversations.

A point here is that a passenger is able to see what the driver sees and should know when to shut up. Like when the semi ahead starts shedding retread and swaying all over the lane. A person on the other end of a phone conversation is unaware of what's happening on the road.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

dee eight posted:

A point here is that a passenger is able to see what the driver sees and should know when to shut up. Like when the semi ahead starts shedding retread and swaying all over the lane. A person on the other end of a phone conversation is unaware of what's happening on the road.

Plus a passenger might spot something the driver misses.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

My father was driving on the highway once, on a clear day, and managed to spin out into the right shoulder from the left lane. I don't really remember anything provoking it, and thankfully, despite a fair amount of traffic, no other vehicles were involved and our car was undamaged. We discovered then that his front tires were this bald, which was pretty odd to me, since I think it's a fairly safe assumption that bald warmed-up tires on dry roads should have decent traction.

He was pretty distraught about spinning out and felt that it would be better if I drove, which I did, and while it was a little uncomfortable knowing the state the tires were in, everything was fine. What was NOT fine was not getting the tires replaced ASAP and sticking my 17 year old rear end in the driver's seat for the three hour trek back in a downpour the next day.

My dad is the bad driver and irresponsible car owner you share the road with, but I do credit this and similar situations to my not being a complete fuckup in lovely driving conditions like 90% of the car driving populace.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Following the theft of my brother's ipod, I've switched the mobius to battery power and motion detection, and pointed it directly at the passenger door, where I've left two dollar bills in plain sight. I'm gonna get 'em.

You don't gently caress with someone's car, you don't steal from someone's car, and you sure as hell don't gently caress with and steal from my brother's car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Horse Divorce posted:

Following the theft of my brother's ipod, I've switched the mobius to battery power and motion detection, and pointed it directly at the passenger door, where I've left two dollar bills in plain sight. I'm gonna get 'em.

You don't gently caress with someone's car, you don't steal from someone's car, and you sure as hell don't gently caress with and steal from my brother's car.

Uhh, what makes you think they won't just steal the camera too when they get in?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

They've been in my car before, my door was ajar this morning. They didn't see it last time, i doubt they'll see it again.

e: and now I've hidden the spy cam. Happy hunting.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 29, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

ohgodwhat posted:

We discovered then that his front tires were this bald, which was pretty odd to me, since I think it's a fairly safe assumption that bald warmed-up tires on dry roads should have decent traction.

Only if you're in an F1 car.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Fair enough, but at least not 'spin off the road if you look at the steering wheel funny' traction

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

ohgodwhat posted:

Fair enough, but at least not 'spin off the road if you look at the steering wheel funny' traction

Nah. Most road tires aren't anywhere near sticky enough to provide decent traction without tread. I've spun my blazer on brand new cheap all-seasons. All it takes is a slick patch on the road and a bit too much throttle.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In order to make the cars break away, a skidpan course my dad and I went on used bald tyres and wetted the surface down with oil and water.

They weren't very happy when, instead of defaulting to :supaburn: "OhGodWhatDoIDoHelp" mode, we both immediately tried to see how long we could hold the back end out. :laugh:

Edit:
One of my friends just posted on facebook, some twats have stolen the rescue ATVs used by one of the lifeboat stations in Merseyside. What utter cunts.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 29, 2014

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

InitialDave posted:

In order to make the cars break away, a skidpan course my dad and I went on used bald tyres and wetted the surface down with oil and water.

They weren't very happy when, instead of defaulting to :supaburn: "OhGodWhatDoIDoHelp" mode, we both immediately tried to see how long we could hold the back end out. :laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86UxiFIMACQ

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

Coincidentally, someone I know linked a video on facebook of a guy spotting a copper using her phone at a traffic light:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152497327049667

Do the no texting/phone calls while driving laws over there not have blanket exemptions for law enforcement written into them?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Wetting the pavement? Rookies.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

InitialDave posted:

]
we both immediately tried to see how long we could hold the back end out. :laugh:

http://explorepahistory.com/hmarker.php?markerId=1-A-307

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

InitialDave posted:

Edit:
One of my friends just posted on facebook, some twats have stolen the rescue ATVs used by one of the lifeboat stations in Merseyside. What utter cunts.

I went to one of those and the guy in the passenger seat popped it in neutral so you couldn't do that. So I spun the first time with the car banging off redline.

And yes, on dry, clean pavement tires without tread will have decent grip.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

Do the no texting/phone calls while driving laws over there not have blanket exemptions for law enforcement written into them?
Not exactly. They get around it by allowing the use of two-way radio, which is why CBs are ok to use while driving.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wetting the pavement? Rookies.

Simulates ice cheaper than a hydraulic castor frame.
:stare: :toxx:

jamal posted:

I went to one of those and the guy in the passenger seat popped it in neutral so you couldn't do that. So I spun the first time with the car banging off redline.
Why the hell would he do that?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think the point was skid recovery and not doing sweet drifts. Which took most of the fun out of it.

People you share the road with:

loving guy sitting at a green light waiting to turn left at the stop line, sits there when the light changes. It's happened to me three times at the same intersection recently. How do these people make left turns when there's no green arrow?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

jamal posted:

People you share the road with:

loving guy sitting at a green light waiting to turn left at the stop line, sits there when the light changes. It's happened to me three times at the same intersection recently. How do these people make left turns when there's no green arrow?

I know the laws of most states let you enter the intersection when turning left at a controlled intersection, but for the most part I've stopped doing it if there is a separate left turn lane. I have no faith that some rando is going to let me complete the turn. And I've been close to t-boned so many times that I'm fine to wait until I get a green arrow.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

waffle iron posted:

I know the laws of most states let you enter the intersection when turning left at a controlled intersection, but for the most part I've stopped doing it if there is a separate left turn lane. I have no faith that some rando is going to let me complete the turn. And I've been close to t-boned so many times that I'm fine to wait until I get a green arrow.

Yep, I almost got t-boned the other day doing this when a guy ran the red light a second after it turned.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
This is the person I shared a lane with today: a middle aged woman, in a string of profanities, informed me that since her son had a "hurt arm" she didn't have to obey the law and it was OK for her to nearly run into me while aggressively passing slower moving traffic. She literally said "gently caress you and gently caress the laws, I have an emergency - my son's arm is hurt."

Can't help but wonder if she would have fled the scene if I hadn't dodged over left of center to avoid being hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Geoj posted:

This is the person I shared a lane with today: a middle aged woman, in a string of profanities, informed me that since her son had a "hurt arm" she didn't have to obey the law and it was OK for her to nearly run into me while aggressively passing slower moving traffic. She literally said "gently caress you and gently caress the laws, I have an emergency - my son's arm is hurt."

Can't help but wonder if she would have fled the scene if I hadn't dodged over left of center to avoid being hit.

You'd think if it were that bad an ambulance would be useful.