Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
$125 a decent price for an M-sport wheel for an e39?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

POKEMAN SAM posted:

I've joined the BMW bandwagon, who can teach me how to be a porcupine or however that joke goes?

If I ever actually do for some reason get an actual new car and get to pick the color drat I would strongly consider this one now

Edit: Oh, they only offer it on M cars. WELP

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 27, 2014

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

PaintVagrant posted:

$125 a decent price for an M-sport wheel for an e39?

Which wheel is it? The big airbag "early" style or the small airbag M3 style? With or without the airbag?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Stefan Prodan posted:

If I ever actually do for some reason get an actual new car and get to pick the color drat I would strongly consider this one now

Edit: Oh, they only offer it on M cars. WELP

You can get pretty much any color you want for $5k (individual package), I think you negotiate it through your dealer as part of your order.

If you go even more extreme and up to the "Supreme Baller/Oligarch Package" you can get purple paint with yellow leather or other extreme poo poo.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Brock Landers posted:

Which wheel is it? The big airbag "early" style or the small airbag M3 style? With or without the airbag?

3 spoke with airbag. E39 m5 wheel.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

wolrah posted:

Manufacturing error possibly?

Try playing with the balance on either your source (preferably) or the car stereo (potentially not useful if you have a sub which receives a mono feed mixed before the balancer). If you can send it all to one side and the bass shows up, there you go. Look up the pinout on the connector and flip the appropriate wires, then you're good to go.

It is amazing how much out of phase can kill bass, a friend of mine miswired a dual sub box once and we had the thing cranked to the point of overheating the amp with basically nothing happening. Found and fixed the reversed wire, then we almost blew his sunroof out since we forgot to turn it back down.

Baring in mind the cheap ebay cable I purchased, do you think its worth spending £50 on something like this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BMW-Genuine-In-Car-Connector-Retrofit/dp/B000P9Y5I4

The genuine cable from BMW?

Or is it because I have the business CD player but the upgraded speaker package with the subs (that dont work through my current aux) that means anything I do is going to be incredibly tricky as its an odd coupling?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

PaintVagrant posted:

3 spoke with airbag. E39 m5 wheel.

Right. But there is an early style and late style M5 wheel. Either way, if it comes with the airbag, that's a good deal. Early style without airbags go for around that in decent shape. With airbags they are closer to $300-400.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Brock Landers posted:

Right. But there is an early style and late style M5 wheel. Either way, if it comes with the airbag, that's a good deal. Early style without airbags go for around that in decent shape. With airbags they are closer to $300-400.

Cool. Thanks for the info, If I had to guess it was probably the earlier one.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

willie_dee posted:

Baring in mind the cheap ebay cable I purchased, do you think its worth spending £50 on something like this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BMW-Genuine-In-Car-Connector-Retrofit/dp/B000P9Y5I4

The genuine cable from BMW?

Or is it because I have the business CD player but the upgraded speaker package with the subs (that dont work through my current aux) that means anything I do is going to be incredibly tricky as its an odd coupling?

After looking up the pinout I don't think it's the cable. It runs three wires the whole way, doesn't try to split the ground for each channel, so there's nothing to reverse.

Searching "BMW aux input no bass" I see a lot of complaints about this in the E46 and Z4 forums with the factory aux and any third party or homemade adapters that imitate it. It seems like the radio cuts bass when the input power is too high, so if your source device is turned all the way up try backing it down to 70%ish and see what happens.

I'd test it myself if I could, I have the parts to build one, but my car's 10/2001 production so it doesn't support simple aux like this.

edit: For curiosity, what are the two inputs you've tried with it? Literally every thread I've looked at about this problem has been with an iPod, but of course that could just be because iPods are probably 95% of what normal people ever wanted to hook to an aux input.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 27, 2014

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

wolrah posted:

After looking up the pinout I don't think it's the cable. It runs three wires the whole way, doesn't try to split the ground for each channel, so there's nothing to reverse.

Searching "BMW aux input no bass" I see a lot of complaints about this in the E46 and Z4 forums with the factory aux and any third party or homemade adapters that imitate it. It seems like the radio cuts bass when the input power is too high, so if your source device is turned all the way up try backing it down to 70%ish and see what happens.

I'd test it myself if I could, I have the parts to build one, but my car's 10/2001 production so it doesn't support simple aux like this.

edit: For curiosity, what are the two inputs you've tried with it? Literally every thread I've looked at about this problem has been with an iPod, but of course that could just be because iPods are probably 95% of what normal people ever wanted to hook to an aux input.

An iPhone 6+ and an iPhone 5.... dammit ill try and find a laptop or something to try haha. I can't think of any other gadget I have with a low output. I did try turning my iphone down but all it did was get very very quiet and then when I turned up the volume same sound, no bass.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

wolrah posted:

This seems to follow my recent experience with aftermarket aux inputs. The PO of my E46 put a Dice Silverline iPod and aux jack adapter in and I always thought it sounded like poo poo. Biggest issue was no bass. The car has a factory 8inch sub and I honestly thought it was just disconnected or broken. I got a GROM Bluetooth adapter to replace the Dice and it totally fixed the sound issue. There is bass now and I can actually hear the sub working.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Speaking of GROM, is this one of their adapters? I was checking for CD changer wiring and disconnected this.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Brock Landers posted:

This seems to follow my recent experience with aftermarket aux inputs. The PO of my E46 put a Dice Silverline iPod and aux jack adapter in and I always thought it sounded like poo poo. Biggest issue was no bass. The car has a factory 8inch sub and I honestly thought it was just disconnected or broken. I got a GROM Bluetooth adapter to replace the Dice and it totally fixed the sound issue. There is bass now and I can actually hear the sub working.

My iPod/aux adapter works just fine with plenty of bass (the sub will push enough bass to make the trim buzz/rattle well before the volume knob is all the way up) on my E46 using either my iPod or my iPhone plugged into the dock connector... so :iiam: I guess?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

willie_dee posted:

An iPhone 6+ and an iPhone 5.... dammit ill try and find a laptop or something to try haha. I can't think of any other gadget I have with a low output. I did try turning my iphone down but all it did was get very very quiet and then when I turned up the volume same sound, no bass.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Try turning off the EQ on the phone (or setting it to flat or however iPhones work) - if the phone is putting out a really bassy signal I can see the stereo freaking out and just cutting all the bass out.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Crustashio posted:

Speaking of GROM, is this one of their adapters? I was checking for CD changer wiring and disconnected this.

Looks like that yes.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

dissss posted:

Try turning off the EQ on the phone (or setting it to flat or however iPhones work) - if the phone is putting out a really bassy signal I can see the stereo freaking out and just cutting all the bass out.

Tried all that, got some nice headphones and what not and they all seem to work really well with both phones.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Brock Landers posted:

Interesting, what I was finding indicated the issue was limited to those that were basic wire adapters like the OEM aux. My Dice HD's aux always worked great, but like I said my head unit was one from before the simple aux input was supported so maybe the newer units have that issue across the board.

willie_dee posted:

Tried all that, got some nice headphones and what not and they all seem to work really well with both phones.

Got a laptop or any other portable device with a headphone-style output? Or something with an actual line-level out might be even better.

giznot
Jun 10, 2004

ok

POKEMAN SAM posted:

I've joined the BMW bandwagon, who can teach me how to be a porcupine or however that joke goes?

More pics, please. Crazy color!

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

giznot posted:

More pics, please. Crazy color!

Will try to get some more this weekend, but it's been raining pretty hard (I'm in the Seattle area) and my tolerance for standing in the rain is pretty low. I did buy a new lens for my DSLR since that photo that I've been wanting to put to good use...

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

You can get pretty much any color you want for $5k (individual package), I think you negotiate it through your dealer as part of your order.

If you go even more extreme and up to the "Supreme Baller/Oligarch Package" you can get purple paint with yellow leather or other extreme poo poo.

The problem is though if you build a kooky special order car rather than purchase something in inventory somewhere you'll probably have to pay MSRP, and by the time you put a $5000 paint job option on a custom order 4 series you might a well just get a good deal (invoice or lower) on an actual M.

I suppose it may vary by location but the incentive to find something to my liking in inventory rather than custom order was pretty huge on my 3 series.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

blk posted:

So how many people here are in beater E39 540i club?

i missed this from a few pages back, but me!

'00 540i/6, paid six grand two and a half years ago. Not nearly the deal some of you got. I blame living in the rust belt.

After owning it a year I had to replace the timing chain guides :(

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The problem is though if you build a kooky special order car rather than purchase something in inventory somewhere you'll probably have to pay MSRP, and by the time you put a $5000 paint job option on a custom order 4 series you might a well just get a good deal (invoice or lower) on an actual M.

I suppose it may vary by location but the incentive to find something to my liking in inventory rather than custom order was pretty huge on my 3 series.

So if you have to build one new they won't give you any sort of discounts?

I'm generally worried that if I do end up choosing the 328 wagon as my next car I won't be able to find one anywhere that has all the actual options I want (yes I know I'm a rube but I actually enjoy and use pretty much all of the ones I want on my current car) just because there's so few of them sold so I'm wondering if I'm going to have to literally just save up a ton and have them build one. On my current car (jaguar XF) it was really easy to find a used one with all the poo poo because if you got the supercharger it automatically came with literally every option but the adaptive cruise so the only choice was whether you got that or not, I didn't have to actually find a specific car where someone had checked all the boxes that I wanted. Even if I got the non supercharged version they only had like 3 trim levels that were just giant options packages, so it still wouldn't have been that bad. BMW nickel and dimes you on each individual thing so bad though I think it might be super hard to find one that has all the poo poo I want. I assume dealers will move a car from another dealer to sell it to you if they can though?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
It's a moot point as a lot of BMW dealers carry very little stock on hand (most inventory is just there to be demo cars) and BMW themselves encourage you to factory order your car instead of buying off the lot - to the point of offering a discount off the price of a factory order car if you do European delivery (you fly to Germany and pick up the car there and get to drive it around Europe for a couple weeks before dropping it off to get shipped to your home).

It's a marketing thing to make their cars appear more bespoke and less mass-produced.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The dealer near me seems to always stock a pretty big variety of colors for the basic level 328xi's or what ever BMW is referring to the entry level 3 series these days. They are mostly though for the 300 a month lease specials, and they are always pretty close in terms of equipment. There is always a base level 5 series or two, an X5 and a couple of X3 and then the rest is used stock. I never see much other than that in stock, and its either order or search other dealers for one.

Jan 11, 2004
At the end of the third quarter this year neither of the two local dealerships would sell me a factory order 3 or 4 series at less than MSRP but one of them had almost the exact car I wanted and sold it to me for about $1100 less than what googling provided as dealer invoice. There weren't any special bonus cash offers active at the time. I think the "$X off" offers do apply to factory order vehicles in addition to inventory.

There were about 150 3 and 4 series in inventory searchable online between the two dealerships (so many that it was frankly a loving pain in the rear end to park at one). I can't say this is the situation in all geographic locations at all times of year and there was definitely less inventory on stuff like the 6 series.

The reason why BMW and others encourage European delivery is that they save a huge chunk of VA taxes if the sale occurs in the EU to a non EU customer who then exports the vehicle. Volvo even pays your airfare and hotel to do it.

Jan 11, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The dealer near me seems to always stock a pretty big variety of colors for the basic level 328xi's or what ever BMW is referring to the entry level 3 series these days. They are mostly though for the 300 a month lease specials, and they are always pretty close in terms of equipment. There is always a base level 5 series or two, an X5 and a couple of X3 and then the rest is used stock. I never see much other than that in stock, and its either order or search other dealers for one.

I was going to argue with you and say the totally stripped down zero options lease specials are actually hard to find but my dealer has like 10 of the 2014 320i without power seats or moonroof or keyless access on the lot right now :shrug:

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

BMW dealers are like other dealers. They have lot inventory that they want to move to avoid paying interest. If they can put you in one of the lot cars, they'd rather cut you a deal on those cars than cut you a deal on a car that doesn't even exist yet. If you're hell bent on custom ordering a BMW, well you're a captive audience so why would a dealer have to cut you a deal at all? Factory incentives non withstanding.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Brock Landers posted:

BMW dealers are like other dealers. They have lot inventory that they want to move to avoid paying interest. If they can put you in one of the lot cars, they'd rather cut you a deal on those cars than cut you a deal on a car that doesn't even exist yet. If you're hell bent on custom ordering a BMW, well you're a captive audience so why would a dealer have to cut you a deal at all? Factory incentives non withstanding.

That last part is not true at all. You can absolutely negotiate pricing on a custom order car. I think I got something like $500-700 over invoice before factory incentives on my custom order. You just have to be willing to call around and negotiate hard.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

That last part is not true at all. You can absolutely negotiate pricing on a custom order car. I think I got something like $500-700 over invoice before factory incentives on my custom order. You just have to be willing to call around and negotiate hard.

I didn't say it wasn't possible. I just said what incentive do they have to negotiate? If you're in an area like mine with 5 BMW dealers within 30 miles, then yeah, a dealer will probably work with you on your custom order. If you go to the only BMW dealer for 100 miles or you go to a dealer that has to move inventory, they are going to be less likely to entertain discounts on a custom order.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ultimate Mango posted:

Yeah, it really depends on where you are. I live in a city of 1.2 million, and there are a grand total of two BMW dealerships here, both owned by the same guy. They're almost completely unwilling to negotiate on their lot inventory, to say nothing of a custom ordered car.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I suppose I am crazy in calling every dealer within 300 miles when I am looking for a car. I get that it must be more difficult in smaller towns or where you would have to go really far to get to a competitive market. I think the guy in CA who started one of the BMW boards works as a part time salesperson for a small dealer and they let him sell custom order cars at a steep discount to anyone willing to pick it up at his dealer or pay for shipping from there once it comes in. His price is in part how I was able to get a dealer closer to me to do a screaming deal.

Custom ordering was a cool experience but was also stressful in some ways and took a couple of months (and that was getting a dealer to literally hold production on an allocation so I could modify an existing order rather than wait for a new allocation time).

I kind of hope more people realize a custom car order is possible and do it at least once. So many just look at what's on the lot and drive something off that day.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

I kind of hope more people realize a custom car order is possible and do it at least once. So many just look at what's on the lot and drive something off that day.

Does BMW still let you specify each individual option on a custom order car? Like, do you have to take the contents of an entire package just to get one option, or can you pick and choose. I know they used to let you break apart packages and fully customize the car but I wonder if they've stopped that. Most other makes let you "customize" but it really just amounts to ordering a car with a particular set of packages. And there are always restrictions like "feature X must have feature Y or package Z".

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Brock Landers posted:

Does BMW still let you specify each individual option on a custom order car? Like, do you have to take the contents of an entire package just to get one option, or can you pick and choose. I know they used to let you break apart packages and fully customize the car but I wonder if they've stopped that. Most other makes let you "customize" but it really just amounts to ordering a car with a particular set of packages. And there are always restrictions like "feature X must have feature Y or package Z".

The buying guides for the US are written more like you suggest, where there are packages and restrictions. That being said, I was able to get one option that wasn't even on the sheet, and got approval to break apart and remix some items (that I didn't end up doing, but by the time I got deep into it I kind of wanted to see if I could get the approval so I could tell others what to do and say). If you go full individual then I think you get more leeway, but it is a five figure proposition before you check any boxes. Basically to do non standard stuff you have to know what to ask for and get your dealer to escalate some tickets back and forth with the factory and some levels of approval. For me, I got four zone climate control in a 5 series (plug and play from the 7) and got approval to add the digital gauge cluster from the 6, but ended up deciding against those. Was a few extra weeks of approvals but I paid invoice minus discount for even the nonstandard options.

I believe from a few European friends that it is still more a long options list and you don't have to go so much with packages like we do in the States.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
You can get the best deals from the Bimmerfest.com sponsor sales guys, there are 2 in SCAL and 1 in GA and others popping up to match the under invoice deals and will help people take advantage of incentives where applicable. They also can sell cars to folks out of state and have it delivered to you. I've ordered 2 times through a dealer there and on my recent car it would have been the only way to get a manual transmission and no NAV, for example....on a newer 5 series. You will need to wait 6 weeks for the car to arrive though....it's totally worth it though. Truecar is pretty accurate in terms of the pricing you should shoot to get under. (MSRP - 7.5% - incentives) at a minimum. Also if you are really serious join BMWCCA for $49 and you will get up to a $1,000 check from them for buying BMW (Takes about 6 weeks to get the check).

Also you can try to lobby to be able pick and choose a few individual options that you won't find on the BMW website (at extra cost) things like a full leather dash or 4 zone HVAC like ^^^Mango, it's just a matter if the dealer can get BMW to agree to the modification.

If you are determined to walk into dealers and try to find something I would avoid any of the Autonation dealers as their absolute best deal always is $2.5k over everyone else's, prob due to some corp bean counter rules.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 29, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Speaking of pricing, I'd forgotten how high prices were in the 80s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqquIzWX1mQ&t=364s

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
There's an E12 530i that's popped up for sale near me. It's in shockingly decent condition, looks like it needs a good clean and some polish. The engine looks solid, I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

What if any future market is there on these? I'm just wondering if I buy it will I end up with a big white turd?

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

There's an E12 530i that's popped up for sale near me. It's in shockingly decent condition, looks like it needs a good clean and some polish. The engine looks solid, I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

What if any future market is there on these? I'm just wondering if I buy it will I end up with a big white turd?

I'm sure there are some people who will covet them, but that number will always be fewer than for the E28. BMW really didn't have their first big 5 series hit until the E28. The E12 has inferior AC and was crippled with thermal reactors. These and other 1st gen issues were strikes against them in their day so they just aren't looked on as fondly as the E28 that followed. The 5 series in general isn't going to be coveted like the 3-series coupes because they are workhorse sedans, not "fun" cars. When people who were in their 20s and 30s in the 1980s reach peak nostalgia, they'll want to recapture their youth. Like other eras, that means they'll really want the "fun" cars they missed out on. Sedans and such will always be a second tier to that.

That being said, if the E12 tickles you in the right way, buy it and gently caress what other people think.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
eh, I'd rather pass then if there's no chance of it being worth a little more. It's a cool and clean old sedan but parts look like utter whores to source. Though it would be fun to have an old carbed strait 6.

Worst offense is it's a auto. I don't normally mind autos, but this one is old enough that it's all pressures and hydrualics, so I just see a big slug. And converting it to a stick would be a snap but again it boils down to finding the pedals and the box. The one I think that is correct is north of 2000.

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire
I have a 95 318i vert daily that's become undriveable over 45-50mph.

This has been happening at higher speeds for the last month but recently became much worse. I started getting a severe rumble/shudder (same sound as bad/fast paced rod knock and the steering wheel starts shaking hard) from the passenger front suspension at speed over the Christmas holiday. I put the car up on jackstands and found all bushings/joints on the front passenger to be fine except for a torn outer ball joint. I will replace that but I don't think it's the cause as it doesn't even squeak when I turn.

When I wiggled the passenger front hub (with the driver's front wheel on the ground) I could get maybe ~10-15mm of horizontal play. This has to be something in the steering, right? The tie rod looks fine and the tie rod end link is sound and tight. Also, the passenger side of the car in the front sits a bit higher than the driver side but the front strut seems to be fine. What else should I check?

moloo fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I'm currently in the thick of finally getting around to replacing my starter in the M3. What a total pain in the dick. I'm just trying to squeeze the fuel lines off of the fuel rail so I can get it off and the intake manifold off. I think once the IM is off it won't be too bad. The DIYs online for the S52 intake manifold removal are awful (or at least my google skills are lacking). I've worked on this drat thing more than I've driven it the last month.