Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Hey, that's Janet Varney!
It's from this video, if you want to see it (it's pretty cute):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U8cqwyd74

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Korra never did anything as bad or with as awful an outcome as when Aang ran away. For that matter, Roku made an enormous fuckup, and that one waterbending Avatar was a complete failure at his job. and the very first Avatar accidentally let the evil spirit of chaos out into the world and although he got the thing caged again, he couldn't stop the human wars that came as a result of his actions.
The only comparable action Korra could be accused of is opening the Southern Spirit Portal, but since that ultimately lead to a harmonic coexistence between humans and spirits, and the creation of a bunch of new airbenders, it all turns out.

obviously Kyoshi is the best Avatar depicted in the series, but Korra's definitely second. I mean, bending a giant spirit energy laser blast has to count for something.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Honestly none of the past lives had any good advice except for Yangchen. All the Avatars are giant fuckups.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Goku wouldn't run away

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Goku is dumb. There, I said it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I mean, if it's any consolation, no one actually died when Korra lost her past selves. Every Avatar Cycle, Raava is bound to the same spirit, Wan's spirit. Aang wasn't inside Korra, Aang became Korra. The past selves were simply shades, figments of old memories, ghosts of Avatars as Raava remembered them. Raava was struck down, and those memories were sadly lost. But it's not the memories that make you an Avatar. From Wan down to Aang and everything in between, Korra has always held the spirit of the Avatar within her. She is still their legacy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Maybe she could have asked some of the past avatars how to actually fight well

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Goku wouldn't run away
Avatar Goku may be the master of energybending, but you can't bring him back to life with the dragonballs.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

I mean, if it's any consolation, no one actually died when Korra lost her past selves. Every Avatar Cycle, Raava is bound to the same spirit, Wan's spirit. Aang wasn't inside Korra, Aang became Korra. The past selves were simply shades, figments of old memories, ghosts of Avatars as Raava remembered them. Raava was struck down, and those memories were sadly lost. But it's not the memories that make you an Avatar. From Wan down to Aang and everything in between, Korra has always held the spirit of the Avatar within her. She is still their legacy.

Wan leads a truly nightmarish existence.

I have no bending, and I must scream.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Wan leads a truly nightmarish existence.

I have no bending, and I must scream.
I want to think it's exactly the opposite. Wan is the Avatar. That is his purpose, his role, the compact he made with Raava. While Raava embodies the primal and spiritual power of the Avatar State, Wan embodies the human side of every Avatar who has ever existed. Wan was Wan, and then he was the Waterbender whose life was thrust into warfare, and then an Earthbender, and then a Firebender, and so the cycle went forevermore, one identity after another, nearly reaching enlightenment but always staying for the sake of the world. That is his purpose, and he is content with it. And now that is Korra's purpose, past lives or no.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Maybe she could have asked some of the past avatars how to actually fight well

If you don't like comically inept anime protagonists, then I don't know what to tell you and may even have to question your Big Anime Fan credentials. You'd think the big mecha and kaiju fights would've made it obvious that Korra was Shinji already.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Now that's what I'm talking about

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Probably Magic posted:

If you don't like comically inept anime protagonists, then I don't know what to tell you and may even have to question your Big Anime Fan credentials. You'd think the big mecha and kaiju fights would've made it obvious that Korra was Shinji already.

Why would you insult Korra like that? What kind of horrible and unhinged monster are you?

(Shinji is terrible. Like worse than Jar Jar Binks. )

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

JT Jag posted:

I want to think it's exactly the opposite. Wan is the Avatar. That is his purpose, his role, the compact he made with Raava. While Raava embodies the primal and spiritual power of the Avatar State, Wan embodies the human side of every Avatar who has ever existed. Wan was Wan, and then he was the Waterbender whose life was thrust into warfare, and then an Earthbender, and then a Firebender, and so the cycle went forevermore, one identity after another, nearly reaching enlightenment but always staying for the sake of the world. That is his purpose, and he is content with it. And now that is Korra's purpose, past lives or no.

Wan is forced to be reborn again and again doing a job no one should have to do and being a magnet for evil Kung Fu wizards, all for making one mistake. Even death is no release because he's just reincarnated. He was probably really glad when Unalaq erased him.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Probably Magic posted:

Try talking that kind of poo poo about Yusuke Urameshi pal

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Asuka is the true hero of Evangelion

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Rufus posted:

Why would you insult Korra like that? What kind of horrible and unhinged monster are you?

You know what lies on the other side of that beam into the Spirit World?

Ming-Hua, Tonraq, Amon, Yakone, and Aang all wishing Korra, "Congratulations!"

Asuka is the true hero of Evangelion

It's Misato, actually.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Captain Rufus posted:

Why would you insult Korra like that? What kind of horrible and unhinged monster are you? Shinji is terrible. Like worse than Jar Jar Binks.
Eva is a garbage setting. You really gonna blame a kid for that??

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Probably Magic posted:

It's Misato, actually.

This.

Asuka is at least as hosed up as Shinji, if not moreso.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Wan is forced to be reborn again and again doing a job no one should have to do and being a magnet for evil Kung Fu wizards, all for making one mistake. Even death is no release because he's just reincarnated. He was probably really glad when Unalaq erased him.
He wasn't erased though. Think about it: The past lives were wiped away when Raava herself was struck. They were simply her memories of the various Avatars. Ghosts. Spiritual advisers. Korra is bound to all the previous Avatars much more intimately than that: they literally have the same soul.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That's even worse.

Raava is a monster for doing this to Wan.

Edit: Come to think of it, what the gently caress does a soul do? I mean it doesn't retain memories, or personality, or genetics...or anything that defines a person. What's it for?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

That's even worse.

Raava is a monster for doing this to Wan.

Edit: Come to think of it, what the gently caress does a soul do? I mean it doesn't retain memories, or personality, or genetics...or anything that defines a person. What's it for?
If we're talking Buddhism, which is the most relevant theological thing in this setting, the soul bears the weight of a man's karma, and carries that weight through his reincarnations, and only through clearing that karma can one achieve enlightenment. The Avatar is bound to protect the world, however, and much like a boddhisattva it puts off transcendence for the sake of others.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think the worst part about erasing the previous avatar lives (or memories whatever) is that we probably won't ever get to see the story of the avatar who invented the Five Point Exploding Bullet Rock technique and what kind of hellish period they lived through where they would have to resort to using it.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

The Sharmat posted:

This.

Asuka is at least as hosed up as Shinji, if not moreso.

Uhhhh saving the world isn't contingent on how mentally well you are, it's contingent on being a teen killing machine

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Xelkelvos posted:

This was actually addressed in one of the latest comics with processing ore. Essentially, technology would still outpace benders eventually, but it would take longer to make them obsolete since benders haves a higher level of productivity than normal humans. Also, cave ins are still a danger, even to earthbenders, just less so.

Hmm, that would make sense. Earthbending coal miners still have to rest and eat and go home and so on, eventually, so if you could get a rotating crew of cheaply-trained nonbenders operating automatic machines, they could keep the operation going 24/7.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

DrSunshine posted:

Hmm, that would make sense. Earthbending coal miners still have to rest and eat and go home and so on, eventually, so if you could get a rotating crew of cheaply-trained nonbenders operating automatic machines, they could keep the operation going 24/7.

That's also why automated spirit-vine plants are gonna be a way better power source than squads of lightning benders shooting electricity at a battery station.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Right from the very beginning, the wise and learned of the internet knew what a great character Korra was

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The only time I didn't think Korra was cool was during the "gently caress YOU, DAD" arc in early season 2 and even then I could kinda see why she was being so stupid.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Uhhhh saving the world isn't contingent on how mentally well you are, it's contingent on being a teen killing machine

She sucked at that too. Worse than Shinji. In Korra, she'd be Tenzin.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Sharmat posted:

The only time I didn't think Korra was cool was during the "gently caress YOU, DAD" arc in early season 2 and even then I could kinda see why she was being so stupid.

Unalaq moved the entire Northern Water Tribe fleet and is occupying all important posts in the city? Makes sense I guess...

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Korra is incredibly naive at that point in the series, yes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's not as if she didn't attempt to find a diplomatic solution to that problem anyway. It just so happened (through dodgy writing, I fully concede) that there wasn't really any solution to the problem that didn't involve punching someone.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Sharmat posted:

Korra is incredibly naive at that point in the series, yes.

If only she took a second to consult one of the 100+ ghost dads and moms she had living inside her head for advice on how to deal with "another nation just occupied my hometown, is this bad y/n?"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That's not what happened though. The Northern and Southern Water Tribes were -- technically, in theory -- supposed to be the same nation led by the same chieftain. In practice, a war against the Fire Nation that lasted a hundred years (and whose fault was that, eh?) split relations between the tribes to the point that they were effectively two different nations, but technically Unalaq wasn't "invading" and the Southerners who fought back against him were in fact trying to upend their rightful leader, under their own laws.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

But it did! It forced Korra to grow up! She became such a better character in Books 3 and 4 and a huge part of that, narratively speaking, was the loss of her past lives. It made sure she'd never take being the Avatar for granted ever again.

When it was occasionally used it was cool and could have been cool in the future and Korra could have developed with or without it.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Probably Magic posted:

It's Misato, actually.

She's hosed up too.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Probably Magic posted:

She sucked at that too. Worse than Shinji. In Korra, she'd be Tenzin.

You don't know what you're talking about broheim. You're making a mistake here broheim

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
THAT'S MY FUCKIN WIFE BROHEIM

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What is the BEST form of bending there is?

Personally, I think Earthbending is where it's at. You can build poo poo, mine for poo poo, travel faster, hit hard, you're almost always around your element, etctera. It's the bees knees, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Airbending cuz u can fly.

• Locked thread