Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Light
Dec 19, 2012

WickedHate posted:

It's just the way it's supposed to go.

What is this clip from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I believe that is from a series called Gintama, which I have heard good things about.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Parrotine posted:

What is this clip from?

Gintama. A character also complains about Yamcha being left out of the chart, but I couldn't find that image, which sucks because it was hilarious.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Parrotine posted:

What is this clip from?

Gintama. It is a shonen series that has been running for a few years now though it's starting to wind down. It's distinguishing features are its self-deprecating humour, weak fourth wall, recognition of other shonen jump series, and good mix of gag humor and witty humor. It's actually one of my favorite shonen series. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a laugh. Like that clip is from an episode where Gintama helps a guy who makes a terrible manga called gintaman improve the comic by blatantly ripping everything off from DBZ without shame.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
One of the few episodes I saw was Gintama not being able to get up from bed because the announcer doesn't feel like starting the episode, and talked back at Gintama for being so ungrateful.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Maybe it was watching DBZ first before DB, but Piccolo Jr never seemed as evil as his father was. He always seemed to be faking it.

This DBM special chapter needs to end asap. I give no fucks about it at all. Having never seen the Bojack movie, are these characters even in it? Or are they just original characters do not steal?

MastG
May 25, 2014

facebook jihad posted:

Maybe it was watching DBZ first before DB, but Piccolo Jr never seemed as evil as his father was. He always seemed to be faking it.

He was more disgruntled than evil.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

facebook jihad posted:

This DBM special chapter needs to end asap. I give no fucks about it at all. Having never seen the Bojack movie, are these characters even in it? Or are they just original characters do not steal?

Most of them are original I think, I can't honestly remember. Bojack was a pretty loving shallow character to start with and that's working on DBZ movie standards.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

facebook jihad posted:

Most of the ones saying they'll work for Bojack are his cronies in the movie. From top left to bottom right, Kogu, Bido, Bujin, Zangya, with Bojack in the center.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Lasagna might as well have said "I trust you completely and know you would never kill me to try and cheap shot a little boy" It would've at least made the special interesting.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Most of them are original I think, I can't honestly remember. Bojack was a pretty loving shallow character to start with and that's working on DBZ movie standards.

The only interesting thing about Bojack is that he uses Zangya as a shield and blasts through her to get Gohan. Other than that, he's just another gigantic dick that comes to Earth because of reasons.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

facebook jihad posted:

Piccolo Jr. realized something that his father/former self never did: this is a punchmans series, and if you stick to the punchmans rules you last longer. Hence why he didn't kill anyone during his introduction chapter, only killed Goku in an effort to save the world, etc. Also training, King Piccolo never spent any time training, while Piccolo trained all the drat time, even training other folks. Punchmans series always stress the importance of training even if some people never catch up, hence why Piccolo lasted so long.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

StrifeHira posted:

Piccolo Jr. realized something that his father/former self never did: this is a punchmans series, and if you stick to the punchmans rules you last longer. Hence why he didn't kill anyone during his introduction chapter, only killed Goku in an effort to save the world, etc. Also training, King Piccolo never spent any time training, while Piccolo trained all the drat time, even training other folks. Punchmans series always stress the importance of training even if some people never catch up, hence why Piccolo lasted so long.

I think it's safe to assume King Piccolo and Kami did train plenty, it's just that they got too drat old to keep it up. I mean, if Kami cut his power down and was still strong enough to rightfully assume the role, surely he worked his rear end off at some point.

Also, I always assumed that Piccolo Jr. was never all that evil because his only purpose was to make good on his dad's grudge. That's a lot different from actually being a bad person.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 29, 2014

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Testekill posted:

The only interesting thing about Bojack is that he uses Zangya as a shield and blasts through her to get Gohan. Other than that, he's just another gigantic dick that comes to Earth because of reasons.

They're all named for Japanese terms for evilness they really could not be less interesting

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Covok posted:

Gintama. It is a shonen series that has been running for a few years now though it's starting to wind down. It's distinguishing features are its self-deprecating humour, weak fourth wall, recognition of other shonen jump series, and good mix of gag humor and witty humor. It's actually one of my favorite shonen series. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a laugh. Like that clip is from an episode where Gintama helps a guy who makes a terrible manga called gintaman improve the comic by blatantly ripping everything off from DBZ without shame.
Which would be hilarious if not for that being the fate of a sizable number of Jump manga. To start as X and end up as "Dragonball but poo poo".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

It's just the way it's supposed to go.

Dragonball sort of set the precedent for this and there's been horribly little deviation from the formulae, so forgive me if I think maybe it's a little poorly explored to really dismiss that way.

It's perfectly fine for Dragonball though, it has established taglines from the very beginning of why he forgives people who are originally mean to him, with him getting a car from Yamcha(which was a setup, but Goku never learns of this) after beating him.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Which would be hilarious if not for that being the fate of a sizable number of Jump manga. To start as X and end up as "Dragonball but poo poo".

That is part of the joke. He has made jokes like that before. Like in this scene at around 2 minutes in (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15YyOi_DjWk) he just starts critiquing the rest of his team, who blatantly say they want to do a training arc, for being cliched and making fun of them for bringing up JUMP's slogan as its so outdated and saying Gintama can't pull it off because their show just isn't flashy enough to get away with it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Here's some new gameplay footage from Japanese version Xenoverse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVzzKwZ9P5w

It feels like something is odd with all the beams. Maybe the way they fizzle out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My favorite Gintama gag is when its own rival-turned-hero character does the 'I'll work with you just this once, don't think this makes us friends' spiel and one of the other characters just points at them and goes 'Look at that clown. He thinks he's Vegeta.'

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Covok posted:

That is part of the joke. He has made jokes like that before. Like in this scene at around 2 minutes in (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15YyOi_DjWk) he just starts critiquing the rest of his team, who blatantly say they want to do a training arc, for being cliched and making fun of them for bringing up JUMP's slogan as its so outdated and saying Gintama can't pull it off because their show just isn't flashy enough to get away with it.

I cracked up at the bear gag. If I wanted to check out the series, does it work better as a manga or as an anime?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Either way works. The voices and sounds are great in the anime, but it ended, while the manga still lives.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Schubalts posted:

Either way works. The voices and sounds are great in the anime, but it ended, while the manga still lives.

You mean for good ended, or taking a season off?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It ended for good back in 2013. After looking around, though, earlier this month it was announced to be coming back (as a "new" anime) in April 2015. Link

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Gintama will never truly die, no matter how many times it gets canceled or has movies saying it's Totally Ending For Real I'm Serious.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goku > Gohan

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

Gintama will never truly die, no matter how many times it gets canceled or has movies saying it's Totally Ending For Real I'm Serious.

Gintama is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzERusmXegM

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Firstborn posted:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/animation-styles/
This guide made me realize my favorite style is Maeda's. I think my least favorite is probably Uchiyama. What's yours?

Thanks so much for linking this. When I was 8 and watching DBZ for the first time I decided I wanted to learn to draw DBZ characters so I would tape episodes, pause them, and attempt to copy what I saw. I remember being really frustrated because it seemed like no matter how faithfully I copied, my drawing didn't seem faithful to the character on teevee and I was never able to process that the style was in fact changing. I understood that as an adult but reading that article brought my childhood drawing adventures back to me.

I'm loving DBZA but it seems like MasakoX's Goku voice has changed ever so slightly. Is it just me or can you guys hear it too?

I know that there is a Japanese following of Yugioh Abridged. I know DBZA is popular in many western countries (just search DragonballZ abridged and "subtitled" in the language of your choice) but is there any awareness of it among Japanese fans?

On the opposite side, are there any Japanese "abridged" versions or equivalent of American shows? I always adore learning about localizations so I'd find it pretty interesting even if I couldn't understand most of it.

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008
There's Japanese subs for up to episode 8 on niconico, and they seemed to like it well enough.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

HGH posted:

It feels like something is odd with all the beams. Maybe the way they fizzle out.

The only thing i'm not liking here is how much light is bouncing on the character models, like ten lamps on them and they're made of oil.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Isn't one of his attacks literally a Kamehameha? I never watched Gintama, but all that poo poo comes out full force in the J-Star fighters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He never uses a kamehameha in the show, at least not in a serious fight scene

also despite all those gags gintama totally has serious fight scenes, and there's some surprisingly decent drama stuff in there. It's a pretty good show.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Isn't one of his attacks literally a Kamehameha? I never watched Gintama, but all that poo poo comes out full force in the J-Star fighters.

J Stars Victory Vs. is actually coming to PS3/4/Vita this summer in the US. So having my dream team of Goku, Yusuke, and Gintoki is going to come true

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yeah, that's something I forgot to mention. It doesn't just do comedy well, it does battles and drama pretty well too. Actually, I tend to prefer their fights when they get serious because no one has special techniques or similar bullshit when their doing poo poo serious. When they are being silly, they might steal poo poo from other anime as a parody. So, it's just fight coregraphy and sword/martial arts all the way through the serious battles. To me, that's most entertaining then seeing a technique show-off. At the same time, they can do drama without it getting cringe worthy and, overall, they avoid the issue of those scenes feeling like they were written for a teenager. They tend to be sappy, but the good kind of sappy. Not like they are going to win an award for it, but it's entertaining.

AlternateNu posted:

I'm just going to leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhhnN2Nlo28

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
^That was the moment I truly connected with Gintoki.

I love Gintama, it does its stuff pretty well, but it's kinda tiresome reading it in bulk, so I usually just read a few chapters, then marathon them then get tired of it for a few months and repeat, one day i'll actually catch up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read Jaco today after buying it on a whim and it's pretty much everything I've wanted from a Toriyama manga up to and including another Briefs family member being great.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Covok posted:

Yeah, that's something I forgot to mention. It doesn't just do comedy well, it does battles and drama pretty well too. Actually, I tend to prefer their fights when they get serious because no one has special techniques or similar bullshit when their doing poo poo serious. When they are being silly, they might steal poo poo from other anime as a parody. So, it's just fight coregraphy and sword/martial arts all the way through the serious battles. To me, that's most entertaining then seeing a technique show-off. At the same time, they can do drama without it getting cringe worthy and, overall, they avoid the issue of those scenes feeling like they were written for a teenager. They tend to be sappy, but the good kind of sappy. Not like they are going to win an award for it, but it's entertaining.

I'm just going to leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhhnN2Nlo28

Wow, that is just about the most pointless subber annotation I've ever seen.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

HGH posted:

I'm so hyped for this game. Pre-ordered it on Steam yesterday in the hopes that the PC version will have a way to turn off that horrible gloss.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

^That was the moment I truly connected with Gintoki.

I love Gintama, it does its stuff pretty well, but it's kinda tiresome reading it in bulk, so I usually just read a few chapters, then marathon them then get tired of it for a few months and repeat, one day i'll actually catch up.

Oh yeah, that's definitely true. If you try to watch a lot at once, you soon remember that this comic/show was made with a weekly distribution model. Still good show/comic.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Check out this random NPC from Xenoverse.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Firstborn posted:

Check out this random NPC from Xenoverse.

:allears:

Holy poo poo yes.

• Locked thread