Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

coathat posted:

Utena is good actually.

Except that Utena isn't worse than any other anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Except that Utena isn't worse than any other anime.

Cowboy Bebop? Maybe?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Cowboy Bebop? Maybe?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Namtab posted:

I've decided that I'm announcing the results at an arbitrary time on new year's day

One more vote:

Worst anime of 2014 that I watched to completion:

1) Gokukoku no Brynhildr (Brynhildr in the Darkness) - Trashy, stupidly gory, but hilarious opening credits (and subsequent parodies)

2) Wizard Barristers -Benmashi Cecil- - Even Norio Wakamoto frog couldn't save this. Actually, those animal familiar things just made the show worse. Shittier poo poo.

Worst anime of 2014 that I watched at least 3 episodes:

3) Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara (If Her FlagBreaks) - Interesting starting premise, goes nowhere, or apparently according to this thread, way off the deep end.

4) Rail Wars! - This was such an easy concept gone horribly wrong. Just shows how fragile making a good sitcom is.

5) Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to the Animation (The Comic Artist and Assistants) - Same concept about fragile execution applies.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It's called anime, and it's an art form.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

quote:

PsychoJosh10 months ago (edited)

I hope Dean actually watches good anime, and NOT garbage for children like Naruto or One Piece.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Robot Girls Z, a show that had the potential to be a humorous parody that turned into a show of "let's watch 7-12 year olds strip and writhe in ecstasy moaning all the while."

Didn't watch enough of anything else all that terrible to list. KLK maybe, but that was just a disappointment more than anything. Not due to the fanservice, but more due to the failure to live up to the potential it created in the first few episodes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Why the gently caress is Bobby a fat balding british man in a bowler hat?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

coathat posted:

Utena is good actually.

I don't think Utena is bad in a qualitative, considered way, but I couldn't get through it because it had more stock footage that was repeated with less shame than your average Sunrise Yuusha toy advertisement series from the 90s. Funnily enough, I liked Penguindrum and it also had a few recycled sequences, but the difference to me was Survival Strategy was amazing to look at (because I'm an idiot and like fast, bright colors) and had a good pop cover of an old Japanese rock song, instead of the same grimly determined stair climb punctuated with the deadly audio bludgeon that is absolute fate apocalypse or whatever it's translated as

That and I think I hated everyone in it but Utena, and then read about how the series ends and got so mad I swore to never finish it

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Please post this in the sexy anime boys and babes thread, this thread should remain pure.

edit: I'm sorry, I see now that you did, carry on.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I hope he watches Jojo

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Can I add Akame ga Kill? I don't think I had 5 but after seeing half the show today I want to add it cuz gently caress that mess.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I am watching LOTGH right now. It is wonderful. Everyone should watch it.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Sakurazuka posted:

LoGH is barely space opera anyway, replace the ships with horses and shave a couple of zeros off the casualty figures and it could be set anywhere in medieval Europe.

This is also true of most space opera though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

point of return posted:

This is also true of most space opera though.

A fair amount of 'em can be summed up as "WWII in space" as well.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
LOGH is extremely good, and I honestly think people who like Ping Pong or other Yuasa stuff will genuinely appreciate the quality and writing in LOGH.

It's not really niche once you get into it. The only thing Niche about it is its setting. Everything else in it is what makes good TV. Excellent writting, well developed characters and themes, amazingly good pacing for a show that seems incredibly long and has a longer run time than most anime.

LoGH is like, genuinely amazing. And not in a 'This is a niche anime you've never heard of you pleb" way but in a serious, this is actually the cream of the crop way. It's not the best anime ever made (tatami galaxy hello how are you) but it's up there, definitely in the top 5.

Utena is also amazing.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't think Utena is bad in a qualitative, considered way, but I couldn't get through it because it had more stock footage that was repeated with less shame than your average Sunrise Yuusha toy advertisement series from the 90s. Funnily enough, I liked Penguindrum and it also had a few recycled sequences, but the difference to me was Survival Strategy was amazing to look at (because I'm an idiot and like fast, bright colors) and had a good pop cover of an old Japanese rock song, instead of the same grimly determined stair climb punctuated with the deadly audio bludgeon that is absolute fate apocalypse or whatever it's translated as

That and I think I hated everyone in it but Utena, and then read about how the series ends and got so mad I swore to never finish it

The stock footage was a parody of magical girl stuff, specifically sailor moon.
:goonsay:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

The stock footage in Utena actually serves a narrative purpose, forcing the viewer to go through and understand the repetition of both life and the Ohtori cycle.

This is not a joke it was a directorial decision that Ikuhara made, and talks about at length in the director's commentary.

Utena has some questionable decisions but all in all it is an objectively excellent show with better direction than most anime. The ending of the series still sits with me as one of the best final 3 episodes I've ever watched. Penguindrum was a horrible mess though, but I mean, can't strike gold twice I guess.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
If I have a daughter I'm going to let her watch Utena first

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Utena movie was fun, but the stock footage of the series was mind numbing, narrative point or not. Like with the "prefer dubbed stuff", I need a lot of help concentrating and focusing, especially on large series', and that sort of thing is really counter productive to me personally being able to get into it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I, too, have a mind that turns off when it sees the same thing multiple times.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Watch Gundam SEED and then tell me that's not a reasonable reaction.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I just get bored with things really easily. I prefer shows with quicker pacing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

WickedHate posted:

The Utena movie was fun, but the stock footage of the series was mind numbing, narrative point or not. Like with the "prefer dubbed stuff", I need a lot of help concentrating and focusing, especially on large series', and that sort of thing is really counter productive to me personally being able to get into it.

Man you are just a very, very dumb.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

maybe the footage wasn't mind numbing, but rather your mind was already numb to begin with :tinfoil:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

If I have a daughter I'm going to let her watch Utena first
If I have a daughter I'm going to let her watch LOTGH first

We can then put them in a pen and have them duke it out and see which one is the superior anime-bred child

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Uhhh, well a little kid would probably get bored and not watch that show so...

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Darth Walrus posted:

Watch Gundam SEED and then tell me that's not a reasonable reaction.

Mentioning SEED is my trigger.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So we can agree that all children should read Berserk then

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Strike Witches

and then Free

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Uhhh, well a little kid would probably get bored and not watch that show so...
I will breed nothing but the most articulate child geniuses. You'll breed reckless drivers.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
A prank I used to do at parties when Strike Witches was on netflix (maybe it still is idk) was to turn on someones netflix and put on strike witches when no one was looking and then act really outraged and confused like "What the hell, Dan? You watch this stuff? Come on dude... this is sick. Why'd you put this on"

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

WickedHate posted:

I just get bored with things really easily. I prefer shows with quicker pacing.
Yet you were fine with Mahouka for quite a while, and that thing was glacial.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Paracelsus posted:

Yet you were fine with Mahouka for quite a while, and that thing was glacial.

It had interesting stuff going on. It didn't get bad till after that big battle, and also someone pointing out that in the LN the protagonist didn't care about civilian deaths.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Rodyle posted:

So we can agree that all children should read Berserk then
I want my child to be just like Guts

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

A prank I used to do at parties when Strike Witches was on netflix (maybe it still is idk) was to turn on someones netflix and put on strike witches when no one was looking and then act really outraged and confused like "What the hell, Dan? You watch this stuff? Come on dude... this is sick. Why'd you put this on"
I too like to trick people into thinking my friend's a pedophile

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Oh man that's hilarious.

I'm never inviting you over.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Captain Invictus posted:

I too like to trick people into thinking my friend's a pedophile

Well, since it's real life, and not the internet, people usually know that that's not actually true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I thought about a bit and decided to change my vote to all anime. Its all poo poo.

Edit: Utena is still good though.

• Locked thread