Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I had just taken a fall very similar to James' a couple of months ago (I was running on a Manhattan street just as the rain started, and I came to a sudden stop on a streetcorner and my legs shot out from under me and I landed heavily on my upper back); my ribs are still smarting and causing me shortness of breath today. Between that and the car I felt a great deal of camaraderie with James this whole special.

I hope none of the camera gear they used to shoot those mountain landscapes at night got damaged. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ugh, the ending. Should've put that Mustang exo-cage to the test and just hit 'em. Looks like they had a couple of heavier support trucks along with the Discos, too. :killdozer:

Viperidae posted:

Oh god, the beaver jokes.
I had to pause the programme in order to finish laughing when they donned their ex-beaver winter gear. I couldn't see the screen for tears.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I'm disappointed the ending wasn't (as I believe someone here suggested) a game of car football in the Falklands.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Data Graham posted:

I had just taken a fall very similar to James' a couple of months ago (I was running on a Manhattan street just as the rain started, and I came to a sudden stop on a streetcorner and my legs shot out from under me and I landed heavily on my upper back); my ribs are still smarting and causing me shortness of breath today. Between that and the car I felt a great deal of camaraderie with James this whole special.

I hope none of the camera gear they used to shoot those mountain landscapes at night got damaged. :ohdear:

I believe Clarkson had stated that they lost quite a bit of camera gear.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

inklesspen posted:

I'm disappointed the ending wasn't (as I believe someone here suggested) a game of car football in the Falklands.

Agreed. I guess it still would have counted towards Clarkson's "one final warning"?

The camera crew escape was both scary and magnificent. Would have loved footage of the group's escape though, I guess they really did take all their cameras with them :shrug:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Logikv9 posted:

Agreed. I guess it still would have counted towards Clarkson's "one final warning"?

The camera crew escape was both scary and magnificent. Would have loved footage of the group's escape though, I guess they really did take all their cameras with them :shrug:

The presenters and a few crew members flew out immediately in the night, according to this

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
I don't care how impractical it is, one day I will own a red Lotus Esprit

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stay classy, Argentina.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I like the usage of the bar song from Fire Walk With Me and some new Mogwai during the track building scene.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Ika posted:

The presenters and a few crew members flew out immediately in the night, according to this

I guess it was too uneventful to include. Thanks.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Wicaeed posted:

I don't care how impractical it is, one day I will own a red Lotus Esprit

Not impractical at all. They're excellent for offroading, and can even tow a small trailer.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I am personally surprised the cooling system held together. That's the weakest link by far.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really enjoyed this special. I'm kind of disappointed in the ending though. Clarkson said they'd have an even better ending than the one they planned. Unless that includes the scary exodus, I don't see it. They sat on some steps, stood up, ran away and then freeze frame. I was hoping for something better. I guess they can't really do much to discuss the situation since that would just further throw gas on the fire. There's really nothing they could do that wouldn't just further enrage Argentinians.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
Their planned ending was the car soccer game. The actual ending was them being chased out of Argentina.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I suspect I missed a lot of humor not having seen Butch Cassidy.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I know it's unlikely, but I hope Esprit prices don't go up (or supply down) after this. I was supposed to look at a very nice S4 on Friday but had to take a family member to urgent care. It's my hero car from when I was a kid and I've appreciated how its terrible reputation has kept it attainable.

blk fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 29, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blk posted:

I know it's unlikely, but I hope Esprit prices don't go up (or supply down) after this. I was supposed to look at a very nice S4 on Friday but had to take a family member to urgent care. It's my hero car from when I was a kid and I've appreciated how its terrible reputation has kept it attainable.

I could definitely see some increased purchasing intent from the offroad crowd.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Powershift posted:

I could definitely see some increased purchasing intent from the offroad crowd.

Haha - amazing how well it did this episode. I look at potential Esprit ownership with eyes wide open and would never expect it to do so well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I really enjoyed this special. I'm kind of disappointed in the ending though. Clarkson said they'd have an even better ending than the one they planned. Unless that includes the scary exodus, I don't see it. They sat on some steps, stood up, ran away and then freeze frame. I was hoping for something better. I guess they can't really do much to discuss the situation since that would just further throw gas on the fire. There's really nothing they could do that wouldn't just further enrage Argentinians.

It's the ending from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=12090#.VKFDWF4D8w

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I wish they'd escaped to the Falklands, while exclaiming how wonderful it was to be back on British soil.

gently caress Argentina. If they get butthurt that easily, they can go to hell.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I would like to think that at least some of them will watch the special (out of morbid curiosity if nothing else) and discover that the guys spent two weeks basically doing nothing but farting around in swamps and marveling at how beautiful their country is, and then they'll be all like "Welp, we're assholes huh".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I wish they'd escaped to the Falklands, while exclaiming how wonderful it was to be back on British soil.

gently caress Argentina. If they get butthurt that easily, they can go to hell.
They're probably still pissed about the World Cup.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yikes to be on that film crew.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Residency Evil posted:

Yikes to be on that film crew.

Yikes to be the guy driving the 2CV during all that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Still can't believe they saved that thing and left the star cars. :smith:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They probably didn't know the 2CV was part of the crew. All they knew was some British guy had a Porsche 928 with "gently caress Argentina" on the license plate.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
How did the Lotus not break down, was it a magic lotus?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

sbaldrick posted:

How did the Lotus not break down, was it a magic lotus?

They didn't have a budget this season, did they?

They probably bought the single best condition Lotus available, which had been lovingly maintained by the previous owner at great expense and with uncounted gallons of elbow grease, what was truly a labor of love... and proceeded to beat the everliving piss out of it and then leave it to the mob. :smith:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Part of me wishes they would've playing the sad RoboCop music while the mob was throwing stones at them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Which end am I looking at?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cakefool posted:

Which end am I looking at?

The bell

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I just watched the Christmas special, and it was a really good one. I'm a little sad it got overshadowed by all the stupid Argy-bargy. James' fall from the horse looked seriously dangerous. Straight on his back could have been paralysis. Chile looks like a great place to drive as well. I hope they go back and do a special there.

Also, I know it's from a few pages back but..

Ginny posted:

The number plates:

- H982 FKL : Year of the War (1982) - FKL (Falkland)
- N269 KNG : UK´s casualties: 258 (difference of 11)
- ?646 EKH : Arg´s casualties: 649 (difference of 3)

If think it´s pretty obvious it was on purpose, especially if we consider previous actions and remarks, Top Gear have made over other countries.

Jesus christ. You and your rock throwing countrymen are not exactly showing us the best your country has to offer.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The amount of mental gymnastics required to take offense to the plates is roughly equal to the math people do to confirm HL3.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Numerology is always the idiot's favorite conspiracy. And the two other cars obviously have nothing to do with anything. But massive mental gymnastics?

1982 Falklands
H982 FKL

Consider also that Clarkson is the most jingoistic person on UK television whose face is not pixelated and he loves spotting suggestive detail, such as a man filling car from behind appears to be having sex with it. (Or Peniston Oil etc etc)

It is a bit too good to be random. The plate is real and has been on the car since it was new, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if they came across the car with the plate first, then designed the challenge to fit it. Only noticed the problem once they had arrived? Then had UK plates saying BE11 END printed in South America or whatever? No way José de San Martín.

Still...649 to 258? Evita, your boys took one hell of a beating...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

NtotheTC posted:

Jesus christ. You and your rock throwing countrymen are not exactly showing us the best your country has to offer.

Not to mention, getting butthurt about losing a war that you started to take over a place where the residents don't want to be "liberated" is just loving retarded in the first place.

If the Falklands were Argentine, presumably the people who live there would want to be Argentinians, no? Frankly, the rest of the world should remind Argentina at every opportunity that it got its rear end kicked during a lovely war of aggression that they shouldn't have fought in the first place.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Check your hindsight and geography privilege, bro. Instead of blaming their own lovely (now defunct) military junta for starting a war it couldn't win, the obvious solution is to blame 3 goofy television celebrities making a comedy car documentary.

Chile is the superior Patagonian country, anyway.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Ola posted:

Numerology is always the idiot's favorite conspiracy. And the two other cars obviously have nothing to do with anything. But massive mental gymnastics?

1982 Falklands
H982 FKL

Consider also that Clarkson is the most jingoistic person on UK television whose face is not pixelated and he loves spotting suggestive detail, such as a man filling car from behind appears to be having sex with it. (Or Peniston Oil etc etc)

It is a bit too good to be random. The plate is real and has been on the car since it was new, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if they came across the car with the plate first, then designed the challenge to fit it. Only noticed the problem once they had arrived? Then had UK plates saying BE11 END printed in South America or whatever? No way José de San Martín.

Clarkson's plate is the most convincingly insulting one. I actually didn't believe it wasn't staged until I saw somebody's screenshot of the car registration and how it has belonged to that car since its construction. But once you take offense to one thing, everything else just becomes insulting just by being there.

The plates could have read ABC123 and somebody would have commented on how it's a snide commentary on Argentinian education.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PT6A posted:

Frankly, the rest of the world should remind Argentina at every opportunity that it got its rear end kicked during a lovely war of aggression that they shouldn't have fought in the first place.
Where do I send your honorary British passport to?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Ola posted:

1982 Falklands
H982 FKL

If they are going to get that butthurt over a number plate then maybe they shouldn't of started the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Logikv9 posted:

Clarkson's plate is the most convincingly insulting one. I actually didn't believe it wasn't staged until I saw somebody's screenshot of the car registration and how it has belonged to that car since its construction.

Oh so this is actually true? That's an impressive coincidence then, it fits right in with the kind of plates Top Gear has had before.

I really wanted to believe this was just a minority group causing a shitstorm but with the "Las Malvinas son Argentinas" sign law it's hard to imagine the country doesn't support what the protesters in the end of the special did.