Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

In the *armpit*.

The loving armpit.

big artery there

he knew what he was doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Guy's got a knife thing.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Another plane from Asia, AIR ASIA to be exact, missing.

edit : it wasn't even on a long haul flight.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

ded posted:

Is there an aviation equivalent to D.W.A.?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tbf the one where their plane got blown up by drunk ukrainian hill people shouldn't count

not a single thing actually happened as a result of that, right? besides the netherlands begging for the hill people to send the corpses home?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Bolow posted:

What the gently caress is North Korea going to do? People being terrified of a country that can't even feed its own people while being trapped in the 1950's is so mind blowingly retarded I can't even comprehend it.

Are people terrified of it?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

This happened while I was in the air from the U.S. to Japan, no wonder my old man was so happy to hear me call him when I landed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is this gonna be some bullshit about the plane flying through weather they could plainly see was extremely hosed up

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Is this gonna be some bullshit about the plane flying through weather they could plainly see was extremely hosed up

The pilot requested a divert due to bad weather along the flight path, but the air traffic controllers said he was fine, so he attempted to fly through with expected results.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

orange juche posted:

The pilot requested a divert due to bad weather along the flight path, but the air traffic controllers said he was fine, so he attempted to fly through with expected results.

Oh you're involved in the investigation? drat that's some quick work.

:crossarms:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Bolow posted:

What the gently caress is North Korea going to do? People being terrified of a country that can't even feed its own people while being trapped in the 1950's is so mind blowingly retarded I can't even comprehend it.

The Cubans managed to blow some poo poo up in the US back in the 90s.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LongDarkNight posted:

The Cubans managed to blow some poo poo up in the US back in the 90s.

Yeah but North Koreans can't row to California on a '53 Buick.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Godholio posted:

:vince:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Godholio posted:

:drat:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Koesj posted:

Oh you're involved in the investigation? drat that's some quick work.

:crossarms:

:nallears:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fuuuuuuuuck that!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Looks like central Florida in the summertime.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

At least the passengers get to keep their heads after the plane crashes

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

At least the passengers get to keep their heads after the plane crashes

Or wallets and cellphones.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i just had a horrible idea. any bets this was due to a frozen pitot tube that wasn't retrofitted due to ~reasons~ ?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Or a hella downdraft downburst from that gigantic fuckoff thunderstorm they tried to fly through. Downdraft Downdraft means no lift means you fall out of the sky like a brick.

E: I wonder if the pilot had any experience flying in inclement weather.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 29, 2014

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

Or a hella downdraft from that gigantic fuckoff thunderstorm they tried to fly through. Downdraft means no lift means you fall out of the sky like a brick.

Microbursts are a bitch

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

not gonna lie

read that as "Vaginas of Rain" the first time

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Jesus christ I can't spell today.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Microbursts and windshear are no joke pucker inducing. Especially microbursts.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Typically you just don't loving fly through that poo poo but apparently planes go down due to it in Africa all the time

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Typically you just don't loving fly through that poo poo but apparently planes go down due to it in Africa all the time

They're difficult to detect. It's a sky queef.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Mods pls change my name to Sky Queef tia.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Mods pls change my name to Sky Queef Latiffah tia.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 29, 2014

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Derek Dominoe posted:

Is there an aviation equivalent to D.W.A.?

Kamikaze attacks were just confused Japanese pilots trying to land on the wrong boat

holocaust bloopers posted:

Microbursts and windshear are no joke pucker inducing. Especially microbursts.

My brother rented a sail plane to take me up flying a few years ago in New Mexico. We were up around some mountains as a cloud came up over them while we were riding the mountain's 'wave' and gaining altitude. Then we got a small, but very nasty microburst as we were in the part of the flight path facing away from the mountain. It felt like we were in a drag race because it just pushed us so hard and so fast. It flexed the wings back as we accelerated with the burst before he VERY gently turned us about 45 degrees away from it an toward the little glider airport we had taken off from.

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 29, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Cross posting from the Vet thread...

iyaayas01 posted:

When the civil-military relationship in this country inevitably self destructs in another decade or two (right around the same time DoD as a whole finally collapses under the weight of its ineptitude and incompetence), we can point to this article and say "well he tried to warn us."

It's a really good article.

quote:

If I were writing such a history now, I would call it Chickenhawk Nation, based on the derisive term for those eager to go to war, as long as someone else is going. It would be the story of a country willing to do anything for its military except take it seriously. As a result, what happens to all institutions that escape serious external scrutiny and engagement has happened to our military. Outsiders treat it both too reverently and too cavalierly, as if regarding its members as heroes makes up for committing them to unending, unwinnable missions and denying them anything like the political mindshare we give to other major public undertakings, from medical care to public education to environmental rules. The tone and level of public debate on those issues is hardly encouraging. But for democracies, messy debates are less damaging in the long run than letting important functions run on autopilot, as our military essentially does now. A chickenhawk nation is more likely to keep going to war, and to keep losing, than one that wrestles with long-term questions of effectiveness

Also worth reading this companion piece, which is the 2011 memo (briefly mentioned at the end of the first piece) that he and some other dudes put together and sent to Obama, where it was promptly ignored. Contains some concrete recommendations for how to fix what he identifies in the first piece.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

iyaayas01 posted:

Cross posting from the Vet thread...

Also worth reading this companion piece, which is the 2011 memo (briefly mentioned at the end of the first piece) that he and some other dudes put together and sent to Obama, where it was promptly ignored. Contains some concrete recommendations for how to fix what he identifies in the first piece.

The second companion one about guns is good as well. Although nothing new to anyone here, it's one of those things you want journalists to actually point out to the public.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Whoever posted that article (http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/12/the-tragedy-of-the-american-military/383516/) thank you! Everyone should read that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iyaayas01 posted:

Holy loving pro-click, batman.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I always thought the entire army could consolidate itself into about 10 MOSs and about 1/3rd of the force size and still be effective. Probably more so.

Seriously, theres no reason for half of the poo poo the army has. That I know of at least. We dont need the number of infantry divisions we have. Maybe back in the mid to late 2000s when people were doing 15 months on and 12 months off but thats not really the case anymore.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The active army only has eight.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Caconym posted:

It's from the cold war thread, and indeed it was a design choice.
IIRC the designer was quoted saying something like "If the plane performed best with the finest Armenian Cognac as hydraulic fluid, that's what I would use." after some civilian objections to the constantly drunk soldiers.

The Soviet-era version of 50FA must have stories that could take the paint off a wall at 500 yards.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Courthouse posted:

The second companion one about guns is good as well. Although nothing new to anyone here, it's one of those things you want journalists to actually point out to the public.

Lol he got three of his guys killed and wrote an article about it blaming a gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Courthouse posted:

Oh joy, the ancient and retarded AK vs M16 argument is in the Atlantic now.

• Locked thread