Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I actually read some nerd's essay at one point basically saying that Kindred are the biggest threat to mages, because each of the Clans likes to Embrace the sort of person who's most likely to Awaken for one reason or another. (Wow, that's a lot of capitalized jargon.) Brujah: rebels, Tremere: mystics, Malkavians: crazy people, and on and on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Fate D20

I'm just going to leave this here. There is not enough :psyduck: to rationalize even attempting this. I just don't comprehend why you would want to take Fate, a very streamlined system, and just slap D20 poo poo into it. They just don't even think about the why.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Myrmidongs posted:

Fate D20

I'm just going to leave this here. There is not enough :psyduck: to rationalize even attempting this. I just don't comprehend why you would want to take Fate, a very streamlined system, and just slap D20 poo poo into it. They just don't even think about the why.

Because it's a tradition 14 years in the making!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
D20 is some sort of evil basilisk hack transmitted in from the future or something.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

moths posted:

Streetfighter

Zangief can straight up one-shot most things in oWoD with a piledriver.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
TITAN: "Cirno, burn all your indie game books, spend your life savings on WotC and Paizo products. Yes, yes, delete your hard drive's contents, too, nothing must escape!"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

:how:

Has anybody ever did GURPS:D20?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
That is almost as bad as Fire Emblem d20. I have also seen people defend Iron Kingdoms 3.5 over the newest one because the new one is "more complex" while blaming the wargame for "making the setting too combat-centered" for their d20 needs.

:psyduck:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Otisburg posted:

:how:

Has anybody ever did GURPS:D20?
There was BESM D20, and BESM was basically a universal system.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Slimnoid posted:

The only thing I remember from the oWoD Street Fighter was that Guile, an experienced special ops soldier, had no experience using firearms.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JackMann posted:

The only thing I remember from the oWoD Street Fighter was that Guile, an experienced special ops soldier, had no experience using firearms.

There's silly things like that, and then there's Zangief running around with 6 dots of strength.

The Street Fighter RPG was many things, and all of them were silly. poo poo's great, I highly recommend it. Wish I still had my copy I got for 50 cents, but I let someone borrow it and never saw it again.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Slimnoid posted:

There's silly things like that, and then there's Zangief running around with 6 dots of strength.

The Street Fighter RPG was many things, and all of them were silly. poo poo's great, I highly recommend it. Wish I still had my copy I got for 50 cents, but I let someone borrow it and never saw it again.

So could you use the Street Fighter RPG to play ridiculous kung fu heroes piledriving oWoD vampires and poo poo? Because if so, that justifies its existence on its own.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Night10194 posted:

So could you use the Street Fighter RPG to play ridiculous kung fu heroes piledriving oWoD vampires and poo poo? Because if so, that justifies its existence on its own.

Sort of, Street Fighter has a somewhat different combat system. It'd be like running Scion vs Exalted, you'd have to do a lot of dirty hacking and the end result would be one of them just stomping the other hard.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Sort of, Street Fighter has a somewhat different combat system. It'd be like running Scion vs Exalted, you'd have to do a lot of dirty hacking and the end result would be one of them just stomping the other hard.

They did a book that translated the SF fighting system to normal WoD combat I think?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Slimnoid posted:

I see nothing wrong with this.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You guys keep speaking about Mikan and I never see them posting anymore. What happened to Mikan. :ohdear:

Slimnoid posted:

All is right with the world.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mikan autobanned, because people on this site can be enormous creeps. they're also getting out of the tradgames industry, because of incessant harassment from grogs.

another case to file under the "burn down this hobby" tag, as though that wasn't full enough.

this post isn't very on-topic but gently caress if i'm going to go grogdiving right now in this mood

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Tollymain posted:

mikan autobanned, because people on this site can be enormous creeps. they're also getting out of the tradgames industry, because of incessant harassment from grogs.
That's sad :( I thought Mikan was one of the people who was managing to make a modest living from RPGs too?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

I see nothing wrong with this.

This is what really happened to the antedivulians.

Mikan should post; gently caress the haters.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, peace of mind is kind of important, and there are other dreams to chase

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's real easy as somebody less marginalized to discount just how terrible it is in this hobby being a minority figure. change is happening, but shitheads are fighting it tooth and nail and folks like mikan get the worst of their poo poo while more privileged figures get to be largely oblivious. there's no winning moves, even just holding up hope for the long run involves enduring harassment and poo poo.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

There was BESM D20, and BESM was basically a universal system.

Irony of the day, I've had the misfortune of playing both and BESM d20 is actually less broken and lovely than BESM 3rd because at least it builds off of a foundation that is functional, even if it frequently has abilities and powers that don't match up in costs or do nothing at all.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!
I think of Mikan as an anime gradeschooler, so the idea of his identity being an issue is really weird to me.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It sucks that the assholes have driven Mikan off the boards. But Mikan's first priority has to be Mikan, not "winning." The best way we can keep them from winning is to continue to try and make the hobby as welcoming as we can for others in Mikan's position, support them visibly and publicly, and to keep pointing out how these people are being assholes. I think we're winning, too, ultimately. The reason the assholes have gotten so vile, so venomous recently, is because the demographics in the hobby are changing, and that privilege is starting to be threatened.

Speaking as a straight white dude, I think that's awesome. More viewpoints in the hobby means a more diverse, more interesting hobby.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

If I wanted to find out who this Mikan is and what happened to her, what should I do? My Google-fu fails me.

e: Correction: I've found out she worked for Funhaver Industries, who kickstarted an RPG about giant monsters. What happened to her?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 29, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, she is Funhaver, more or less. she's retiring from the business after meeting obligations on her last kickstarter. as for what she's doing now, i'm not too clear on it and if i were i probably wouldn't share it anyway :v:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Caros posted:

Irony of the day, I've had the misfortune of playing both and BESM d20 is actually less broken and lovely than BESM 3rd because at least it builds off of a foundation that is functional, even if it frequently has abilities and powers that don't match up in costs or do nothing at all.
And BESM d20 is still better than Aberrant d20. How the hell did that game even get past the concept phase?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Angrymog posted:

They did a book that translated the SF fighting system to normal WoD combat I think?
World of Darkness: Combat, yeah. Hey, I had that book and I F&Fed Street Fighter, I should do the same for Combat...

The main difference in Street Fighter is that there's no to-hit roll. (You dodge by using rare moves that specifically allow it, or by using a move with better initiative and moving out of range.) Also, Street Fighters start with 10 Health Levels and can go up to 20, so it's totally reasonable that Zangief, greatest wrestler in world, rolls 19 damage dice when he lands his hardest-hitting, hardest-to-set-up move.

On reflection, Street Fighter is honestly a lot better designed and better balanced than a lot of what went into the World of Darkness. The balance problems are with individual powers and classes and are pretty easily fixed, whereas WoD combat becomes Rocket Tag after a certain XP threshold.

Asimo posted:

And BESM d20 is still better than Aberrant d20. How the hell did that game even get past the concept phase?
That was in 2004, when White Wolf was still doing D20 stuff for their Scarred Lands setting, so it's not surprising that even they jumped on the D20 bandwagon. They had done GURPS adaptations of Vampire, Werewolf, and Mage, after all.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 29, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's too bad to hear what happened to Mikan. Though it's not surprising since GG operates in the same way. I miss Mikan and that other guy who used to post about King Arthur a lot.

Caros posted:

I've tried various iterations of BESM and for the life of me I still can't figure out how a game based around the chaos of anime, ANIME, for crying out loud, was as clunky and awkward as it was. I'm glad more rules light systems are around now and they're much better for the genre. Had I known it was around back then I think even dogs in the vineyard would've been an excellent system for an anime game. But screw BESM for mucking up what should be the easiest rule set for anime ever.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

I've tried various iterations of BESM and for the life of me I still can't figure out how a game based around the chaos of anime, ANIME, for crying out loud, was as clunky and awkward as it was.

I get a lot of mileage out of FATE on that sort of stuff these days.

But that's because FATE is a perfect system and I'll hear no arguments. :colbert:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Phuzzy posted:

But that's because FATE is a perfect system and I'll hear no arguments. :colbert:

So, in theory, if we were plotting against you, all we'd have to do is couch it in terms of arguments against FATE, and you'd never know it?

*Writes this down*

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Halloween Jack posted:

That was in 2004, when White Wolf was still doing D20 stuff for their Scarred Lands setting, so it's not surprising that even they jumped on the D20 bandwagon. They had done GURPS adaptations of Vampire, Werewolf, and Mage, after all.

I own GURPS Vampire and GURPS Mage, and they are fantastically, transcendently ill-advised products. I almost want to create GURPS Fate D20 in their honor, maybe with a fourth system thrown in for actual world flavor (GURPS Fate D20 Monsterhearts, anybody?).

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The bizarre thing about GURPS Vampire/Werewolf and maybe Mage1 is that, since they were shorter books that had to pack everything you would need into one place (though GURPS Vampire did get a GURPS Vampire Companion), they tended to be more straightforward and concise when it came to introducing new players to the game's ideas. Of course, 50 point ghoul templates and 7 points per level Celerity were scattered hither and yon throughout the "here's how the setting loving works so you can start making your characters." Of course, a good chunk of people who care about WoD do because of the frequently obtuse world-building.

1 I never cared to flip through GURPS Mage too much, because come on.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As much as I'd love to see GURPS: GURPS, I have no idea how you'd pull that off.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

moths posted:

As much as I'd love to see GURPS: GURPS, I have no idea how you'd pull that off.

Point-build system for dialing in the specific setting allowances of the core GURPS rules.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Phuzzy posted:

The problem with FATE is it's too abstract. PBtA games have "to do it, do it"; I don't have to "create an advantage" to give me leverage in a social attack, I just "shut someone down". To me it's very easy to slip into "well, I need a free aspect to tag if I want to succeed at stabbing this dude, so I better figure out what kind of advantage I can create" and then you're just playing the system, not the story. (That and the last few times I GM'd FATE, the players refused to deal with aspects except "I'm gonna spend a point to use my aspect as a +2".)

moths posted:

Why not GURPS d20?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The nice thing about BESM is that now you can play OVA instead and it's better in every way times a thousand.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Chill la Chill posted:

That's too bad to hear what happened to Mikan. Though it's not surprising since GG operates in the same way. I miss Mikan and that other guy who used to post about King Arthur a lot.

I've tried various iterations of BESM and for the life of me I still can't figure out how a game based around the chaos of anime, ANIME, for crying out loud, was as clunky and awkward as it was. I'm glad more rules light systems are around now and they're much better for the genre. Had I known it was around back then I think even dogs in the vineyard would've been an excellent system for an anime game. But screw BESM for mucking up what should be the easiest rule set for anime ever.

She still shows up in #Badwrongfun from time to time if you want to chat with her.

If you want an anime game that is better than BESM in everyway, try OVA.

I was looking up reviews for a game I was interested in and came across this tidbit:

"Good Layout is dumbing down games for simpletons and teenager newbies posted:

The interior design, however, doesn’t even go this far. The choice to use bold colours to box things off and colour-code the sections strikes me as a massive dumbing down of what isn’t a game for simpletons or teenage newbies.
I immediately stopped reading the review.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
This hobby definitely needed someone like Mikan who would get ideas for games from Kanye West songs. I do what I can to help make RPGs weird though.

ProfessorCirno posted:

The nice thing about BESM is that now you can play OVA instead and it's better in every way times a thousand.
My dumb comedy book has a section called The Bateezu's Dictionary that defines BESM as, "A game designed by a man who likes anime far more than he likes game design." (Followed by Champions: "A game designed by a man who likes math even more than he likes superheroes.") I have a whole rant about Mark C. MacKinnon's ideas about game design (or lack thereof). For years I've been saying that OVA is the game that BESM 1st Edition was trying to be but never managed. That and Clay makes ridiculously pretty books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ewen Cluney posted:

Champions: "A game designed by a man who likes math even more than he likes superheroes.")

You ever want to get into the real poo poo of math guys designing games, find yourself a copy of Don't Look Back. It's some lovely horror genre book from the 90s, and it has weapon damage represented as multiplying the result of your skill check by the weapon's modifier, which is a decimal. So like you get 4 on your roll and multiply that by a pistol's damage of .6 to get how much you deal.

Oh and skill resolution is adding your stat (which ranges from -3 to 3) to your skill number (which starts at zero and goes to 2) and your skill difficulty (which all start around -2 and drop from there). Then you determine the absolute value of your result, add 3 to it, roll that many dice, and take either the top or bottom three depending on if you had a negative or positive score before determining absolute value, then compare that final result to a success chart. Woooo!

• Locked thread