Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jwang
Mar 31, 2013
They probably could get rid of Onodera entirely and nothing would be lost. Well, the mother and sister are interesting enough and we wouldn't be able to see them without her, but still, that's a small sacrifice to be rid of the dullest member of the harem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

jwang posted:

They probably could get rid of Onodera entirely and nothing would be lost. Well, the mother and sister are interesting enough and we wouldn't be able to see them without her, but still, that's a small sacrifice to be rid of the dullest member of the harem.

Yet this girl is incredibly popular, for some incomprehensible reason.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Edward IV posted:

Yet this girl is incredibly popular, for some inexplicable reason.

Welcome to cultural preference, Japan is not the western hemisphere.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Japan's cultural preference is usually the generic, violent tsundere. That's what baffles me with Nisekoi, Chitoge is exactly that yet Japan like the arrowroot biscuit more.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Pretty sure idealized housewives (yamato nadeshiko) have always been the preference. Tsunderes popped up to basically go against that cliche and ended up becoming a cliche themselves.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Edward IV posted:

Yet this girl is incredibly popular, for some incomprehensible reason.

It's also probably helped by the fact that they got a really popular VA (Kana Hanazawa) to voice her.

I remember something similar happening with the Azazel-san adaptation when they found out that one of the demons was loosely based on a fairly controversial, extremely conservative dude in real life, so they had the idea of casting Kazuya Nakai and boom, character got popular. Also, the aforementioned archetype/hack characterization of the good wife / YN.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
This next chapter brought to you by National Rail.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Onodera is super cute, y'all are crazy. :colbert:

Of course she doesn't come close to Marika, but that's a different matter.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Huh, so bullet trains stop if the wind's too strong?

You really do learn something new every day.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
They'll stop for all sorts of reasons. The operators seem to be pretty conscientious about it.

Of course, those reasons still manage to be more exciting than "leaves on the line".

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I sometimes really want to punch the author in the throat.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sorry, but this ride is never going to end.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

He's so shameless about this stuff it's amazing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BlitzBlast posted:

Sorry, but this ride is never going to end.

Don't most Harem/RomCom* manga have a relatively short run in comparison to stuff like Action / Adventure?

*Rumiko Takahashi's works don't count! :mad:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Wark Say posted:

Don't most Harem/RomCom* manga have a relatively short run in comparison to stuff like Action / Adventure?

I think it may only be limited by the author's shame. Apparently when you have an author who has had a series cancelled before, there is none to be found.

I'm in until the bitter end.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wark Say posted:

Hayate the Combat Butler has been going on for 476 chapters and shows no signs of ending.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thinking back on it, I should have probably used "expiration date" rather than "run". Oh well.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

Hayate the Combat Butler has been going on for 476 chapters and shows no signs of ending.

I've been reading Hayate since chapter 10....... It never ends and there will never be an animated version of the best arc. :smith:

At least no matter how long Nisekoi goes on for it'll always be an amazing source of comedic faces!

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

Didn't the author say he was wrapping it up quite recently? Or am I thinking of another series? They sort of blur together in my mind these days.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

At least this series has a concrete time frame (3 years of high school) and we're more than halfway through that so we might finish up before we reach 400 chapters!

In other news, Season 2 of the anime gets a date and Haru gets a VA

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
The last chapter triggered Ichigo 100% flashbacks and I woke up this morning clutching a handgun to my frightened dog. Send help please.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Did nobody care about this chapter because it was a Tsugumi one? :confused:

Best part of the chapter: Marika is next!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I just totally forgot about Nisekoi because of Christmas.

That was a nice bit of improv on everyone's part there. If only all improvised plot twists went that well. :smith:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It was just a very by-the-numbers chapter that you see elsewhere a lot. Hopefully Marika chapter should be fun though.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Allarion posted:

It was just a very by-the-numbers chapter that you see elsewhere a lot. Hopefully Marika chapter should be fun though.

Marika chapters are always fun.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

JosephWongKS posted:

Marika chapters are always fun.

But are Chitoge and Marika chapters fun?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Space Flower posted:

The last chapter triggered Ichigo 100% flashbacks and I woke up this morning clutching a handgun to my frightened dog. Send help please.

Ichigo 100% is the worst poo poo ever plesse don't set off my harem PTSD.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Huh, are you reading a chapter two weeks early? There was no chapter for the week of December 29, as it's a holiday, according to shonen jump online. I know we normally get them one week ahead, but not two.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So what romance cliches haven't been used yet?

Raku still hasn't been magically transformed into a girl, but I dunno if the setting's wacky enough for that.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Raku still hasn't been magically transformed into a girl, but I dunno if the setting's wacky enough for that.

Last issue Raku dressed like a damsel in distress. :shrug:

But magical? Closest thing that could happen is Claude leaving an experimental gender-changing drug(for espionage purposes) in the middle of the room that looks like a traditional japanese sweet, Tsugumi takes it, Raku finds it and thinks its from Onodera because reasons.

... I gave this too much thought. :negative:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

We're missing the requisite body swap arc that turns out to be just a dream, except maybe it wasn't.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Nise-Koi/Ch-154--Happy?id=218739

A really cute chapter overall.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm honestly impressed how consistently hilarious Marika chapters are.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
She's the editor's favorite heroine. I'm sure he just sends it back whenever he gets sent a mediocre Marika chapter.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

That was really nice. It's strange to see the "bold, pushy girl who tries too hard" actually get sufficient time to develop and stand in proper contrast to the others, rather than fading into the background where she'd always end up arguing with the creepily pedophillic younger sister type and the overly sensitive and violent thug type over who loves him more. You know, the designated "these are the characters the protagonist won't end up with" space.

Not that I'm betting on that swerve happening, mind you, but even teasing at it is nice.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Comic relief characters are the best. Marika is the best :allears:
Looks like next chapter's going to be a good one, too.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Nise-Koi/Ch-155--A-Certain-Thing?id=219358

That sure got heated quickly.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Nise-Koi/Ch-156--One-Shot?id=219903

Okay, I genuinely laughed during this chapter.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Chitoge stronk.

Also, fate is conspiring to put Ruri and Shuu together. I approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

So... that's some actual plot progression! It's been so long I forgot what it looked like.

That was a pretty funny chapter. Oh Honda :allears:

• Locked thread