Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Torrannor posted:

There were no changes to the requirements for primogeniture.

If you are a count or duke in a not yet formed kingdom (like Ireland for example), then there are no crown authority requirements for changing succession laws. Perhaps that's your situation?

Ooh yeah, that was definitely it. I guess I still have a lot to learn about this game, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Do you know what a Crusade is?
Well to be fair the Crusaders were kind of supposed to give all that poo poo that became the Principality of Antioch back to the ERE.

It would be kind of neat if Ambitious/Greedy/Proud characters had the option to pull a Bohemund and declare themselves king of whatever bits they conquered.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm thinking of trying the Game of Thrones mod but I've heard that in the most recent version the Iron Throne is constantly at war with the Free Cities of Essos for no good reason. Should I get an older version or aren't the embargo wars as bad as some have said?

Current version is out of date with the most current version of CK2, and by all accounts the game slows to a crawl after 100 years. Best to wait until the next version comes out and the Westeros-only submod gets caught up to that as well.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Two questions: has the AI been tweaked to make large empires less aggressive? West Francia and the Abbasids are huge but they haven't really expanded any in this game I'm playing. Also, is there a good way to tell if another religion's holy order has been hired out currently? I'm lusting after Rajastan but every time I declare war on an Indian kingdom I have to get all Fabian Tactics on them waiting for them to waste their hired deathstacks on assaults.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm playing my first ever Byzantine Empire game, with the intention of recreating Rome and converting to EU4. What should I know before I get too far in? Are there any downsides to just revoking all the Duke titles of people that are pissing me off or forming factions?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

has the AI been tweaked to make large empires less aggressive? West Francia and the Abbasids are huge but they haven't really expanded any in this game I'm playing.

It's not documented anywhere I can find it but I'm pretty sure the AI has been tweaked to make empires less aggressive. Between the invincible Abbasids and Umayyads, I've never seen them actually declare war on anyone after WoL was released. Their vassals will holy war france/spain/byz at their leisure but the emperor himself will sit back and do absolutely nothing like they've passed some kind of threshold because they're too big where their "War AI" just shuts off .

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Not that I'm complaining about that - Zunbil would be impossible if the Abbasids were still at max aggro. It's just kind of strange that Karl isn't invading Saxony or Lombardy or anywhere really.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Odobenidae posted:

It's not documented anywhere I can find it but I'm pretty sure the AI has been tweaked to make empires less aggressive. Between the invincible Abbasids and Umayyads, I've never seen them actually declare war on anyone after WoL was released. Their vassals will holy war france/spain/byz at their leisure but the emperor himself will sit back and do absolutely nothing like they've passed some kind of threshold because they're too big where their "War AI" just shuts off .

It's because there's a bug that can prevent the ai from disbanding levies, and guess what you need to do to declare war?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Current version is out of date with the most current version of CK2, and by all accounts the game slows to a crawl after 100 years. Best to wait until the next version comes out and the Westeros-only submod gets caught up to that as well.

I installed it and played a bit but it crashed if I as much as looked at it funny so this rings true.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

After someone goes into hiding, is there ANY chance a kill plot will succeed? I had my dumb sister at 305% success but she was in hiding and no opportunity to kill her came up for thirty years.

Also: Game is hard. After getting my piety and prestige incredibly high and amassing a decent amount of cash, France declares war on me. Then some muslims from somewhere do the same at the same time. And they kinda join forces, even though France's war is a holy war. So I'm besieged on all sides and barely fight off the muslims and have to submit to France. Then I rebuild my forces to take back my land from France - I declare war and the moment I do the muslims COME BACK and destroy me.

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 29, 2014

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
One of my councilors just died and I am looking to replace him but everyone in my court sucks. I've tried looking through the people finder for a replacement but no one seems to want to move to my court. How can I go about getting a hold of someone who can replace my dead councilor?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Intrigue panel, invite noble. Repeat until someone appropriate shows up. Sooner or later one won't suck.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Spaseman posted:

One of my councilors just died and I am looking to replace him but everyone in my court sucks. I've tried looking through the people finder for a replacement but no one seems to want to move to my court. How can I go about getting a hold of someone who can replace my dead councilor?

Use unmarried female relatives to matrelineally marry if any of those replacements you found are low rank enough that they'd agree to that. Or failing that, just mash 'Invite Noble/Holy Man to Court' until you get a good one.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's because there's a bug that can prevent the ai from disbanding levies, and guess what you need to do to declare war?

That's a pretty serious bug, I had no idea it even existed. Now I know i've wasted more than enough time playing these broken few games the past month.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

VDay posted:

How's CK2+ these days? I remember last time I played (like a year+ ago) I didn't quite have a handle on every mechanic so CK2+ seemed like a little too much of a difficulty boost for me. Plus I usually just messed around in my games and didn't actually understand a bunch of the more in-depth mechanics. Now that I have a proper handle on things, is CK2+ worth playing over the vanilla game? How big of a difficulty bump (if any) are the balanced traits and whatever new events/mechanics there are?

To actually answer your question, I and most people do find it a bit of a difficulty bump (and probably more of one than HIP) over vanilla, and it's still intended to be that. Whether it's worth playing is a more subjective question (I found it "worth playing" enough that I volunteered as a coder for it), but I agree with HGS that the consensus around here seems to have tilted away from it since Wiz got poached by the dev team.

I've been trying to figure out why, but frankly Wiz's shoes are hard to fill when it comes to systems knowledge, coherent vision and game-design chops: it may be that this was inevitable when he left unless another such singular talent had replaced him.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Spaseman posted:

Filter to your religion group, no rulers, adults only. Sort by highest stat in the category you're looking to fill. Go down one by one and look for people who hate their liege or have unpressed claims, and also have Greedy or Gluttonous or similar traits, ideally. Bribe them, invite them to your court.

If you're trying to recruit marshals ignore everyone who's a captain of a mercenary band, they never accept for obvious reasons.

In the future, have these people tutor children from your extended family so they have high stats as well, and install those children as councilors when they grow up.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 29, 2014

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I want to mod Way of Life so that I can duel anyone I want to with the War focus, since it seems really restrictive normally. I went into way_of_life_decisions.txt and replaced all of the conditions for duel targets with just "is_adult = yes", but something seems to have gone wrong. Now I can click the duel button on anyone but it doesn't do anything. Like, the button isn't greyed out and I can click it but it does literally nothing.

Bored Pirate
May 21, 2006

Little Mac posted:

After someone goes into hiding, is there ANY chance a kill plot will succeed? I had my dumb sister at 305% success but she was in hiding and no opportunity to kill her came up for thirty years.

There is, but it seems to fire sort of rarely. I've been trying to assassinate this petty king for about a decade, and after the first unsuccessful attempt he went into hiding. The event I get a year or two later was someone finds out where he's hiding and you can bribe a guard (for a decent amount of gold) or several guards (for hundreds of gold) to try to kill him. This attempt also failed for me. A few years later a "group of professional killers" offered their services for a few hundred gold, and they also failed. So, yeah, you can still technically do it, but it's not cheap and I haven't actually seen it succeed yet.

Little_Viking
Aug 23, 2007
Raiding Lindisfarne since 793AD.
So, way of life is pretty fantastic. I decided to start as a two province minor (thurigen) in west Francia, to have fun with the mechanics of the game. after attempting to seduce my half sister to the point where she started to plot to kill me. I forced her to take the vows. I successfully seduce Charlemagne's wife. He discovers the pregnancy, and attempts to revoke my title. I go to war, figuring it's game over. I legitimize the bastard child, as a dying "gently caress you, Charlemane". both my provinces are under siege and my army broken, I borrow gold from the jews (Charlemagne banished them, but since i was independent, I could freely borrow), and hired some mercenaries. I send my troops in a last ditch effort to at least weaken the hopeless siege, and KILL CHARLEMAGNE, west francia's army was broken. just as I thought I lucked out hardcore, The saxons to the north declare war. once again, bracing for the fact that I was unusually lucky, I decide to just storm to paris with my remaining forces. The new King of west Francia offers a white peace, negating the saxon invasion. I totally cucked Charlemagne, and then killed him in battle!

This game.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
What is best in post-apocalyptic life?

Wrestling your enemies. :black101:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I tried playing this for the first time in a year. I last played this around Christmas last year.

I jumped right into a game as Charlemagne, and he immediately dies in battle like 10 minutes into the game. Goddammit :dawkins101:

I swear the same thing would happen nearly every time I played William the Bastard ages ago. He would die like 10 minutes into the Norman invasion. drat you, CK2.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I see how seduce works now after trying it out on a few ladies. Definitely a good way to accumulate claim bastards, but too bad the Byz starts with no claimants at 867. Not worried about it for now since I have still have 600 years of game to do as I please.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Dareon posted:

El Santo

So... what's the opposite trait?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

John Lee posted:

If it's not McMahon worship, it's wrong.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

John Lee posted:

El Diablo, maybe? Ofaloaf, plz spread the word.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Crusader Kings II: I see how seduce works now after trying it out on a few ladies.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Started a random game as Saxon Brunswick. After Charlemagne's claim war he gave me three counts as vassals, two of them in Brittany.

Widukind's rebellion failed miserably and fearing an imminent revocation of my titles I killed Charlemagne for 5 gold, splitting the Franks in three and gaining an awful lot of rivals, which led to my first High Chief getting maimed in a duel with Pippin the Hunchback and dying shortly after that.

Over the next generation I conquered the Breton counts and settled my tribe there, finally going feudal after converting to Catholic and reverting to local (Germanic) after that.

All this time I was blotting every nine years, hanging bishops and even a Sunni missionary, from muslim Spain I would guess. I did toy with the idea of converting though.

Then, sometime during the reign of the third or fourth Saxon King of Brittany, something magical happened. Another missionary showed up but before imprisoning him I noticed something odd in the text. He was Jewish and in the service of the Umayyads who somehow converted a few generations ago.

Fast forward to where I left it last night. I lost the homeland but control Brittany and Upper Burgundy. My first Queen (genius) was crowned, married matrilineally to an Andalusian prince and her twin sister sent to Toledo to establish an alliance with the Emperors of Sefarad.

Her heir is meant to be the first Jewish Sayyid Saxon King of Brittany and Upper Burgundy. He did not inherit the genius trait though.

This game. :allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Had a son with my son's wife, it's good to be the count.

Any SA LP involving Corsica?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

So there's not much chance of Charlemagne or Way of Life going on sale anytime soon, eh?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Arbite posted:

So there's not much chance of Charlemagne or Way of Life going on sale anytime soon, eh?

It is a week and a half old. So, no.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What ends the game if I keep churning out heirs?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Kurtofan posted:

What ends the game if I keep churning out heirs?

The end date, which you can change if you want. Or you lose all your castles.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

Is there a bug or something with the new patch and relation values? I see sometimes they don't update correctly on the character screen, and other times the character finder just gives me random relation values for people who I've never met before.

Also, is it still possible to look at someone's opinion of their liege? I relied on that pretty hard before for inviting people to my court and I can't seem to find a way to do it anymore with that diplomacy menu gone.

e: Nevermind, I just figured it out. The "Explore character opinions" option changes whose relation values are displayed in case anyone was curious. I'm dumb.

Chuck Finley fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 29, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah character relations seem to be a bit hosed. Sometimes my wife doesn't seem to mind that I'm loving her sister, other times she's angry about it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I just figured out that the reason I got ~26 peasant/religious revolts in a row was a stacking Bigot penalty. I think Sicily's lovely little island revolted three times. Always remember that in Crusader Kings 2 attacking people because they're different is not ok.

My interesting game just came to a close in 1128. I probably could keep it going longer but retinues in pagan lands were dropping likes flies and the cash crippling from the vassal limit meant I was bleeding the pope dry every chance I got. It was kind of a shame since I had a line of superheirs ready to go who could have given the Ilkhanate a run for their money. Even had an endless Tengri great holy war bumping opinions.

Is there a new strategy for world-conquering known? I couldn't think of anything beyond creating game-ending superkings with massive amounts of land.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crusader Kings II: Way of Life summarised in three (very :nws:) panels, courtesy of OGLAF.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I've adopted feudalism and have a castle. Why am I still "Tribe of X"?

Tribes are usually just titular titles that you can destroy without issue as soon as you get a landed ducal title.

John Lee posted:

Sagrado Corazon has three branches: The Holy Virgin, Death, and The Lucha. They each have the -5 malus with each other.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Does having friends and family die currently have a chance of giving characters the depressed trait? Since Way of Life is fleshing out a lot of personal sides to rulership, I feel like it should.

Add another trait to the game, an opposite to depressed, you could call it "Sanguine" or something like to give it some flair. As a character gets further along and successful in their chosen focus, they should have a chance of developing this trait. If you are finding success in your chosen walk of life, then it would make sense for the character to start to feel good about themselves. Make it act somewhat like Diligent and give a small stat boost from across the board, and give a general opinion boost of +5 or +10, and an opposite trait modifier of -10 to Depressed characters. When the game represents unhappiness with depression already, I feel it should also represent genuine happiness and optimism too.

If you have particularly young children in your family die (not of your own doing...), or your wife if you are lovers or your friend, the game should have a small chance of firing an event. If you have Sanguine, there should be a chance of losing that trait. If you do not have Sanguine, then there should be a chance of gaining the Depressed trait. If you already have Depressed, it could also give you the Drunkard or Stressed trait.

Also, you could have a small chance of losing Sanguine if one of your ventures through a focus fails, such as losing a duel or going carousing and nobody turning up ("I'm starting to feel as though nobody likes me!".

Also, a cool feature would be if you are friends with a character with the Depressed trait, you have a carousing focus and also have the Sanguine trait, it should give you a chance of a 'reaching out' event firing to the depressed friend. If it succeeds, it can remove their depressed trait. Helping a friend in need out an all that. It could also have a minor chance of making them kill themselves. Consider it like a 'disastrous falconry' attempt, except the falcon is somebodies life and the disaster is them ending it.

I haven't had a chance to give Way of Life a shot yet, so maybe some of this sorta stuff is already in there, but I just came up with it now and figured since the devs read this thread and liked someone else's past idea of making childhood friends through being dual warded, I would throw it out here.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

CK2 definitely needs an Oglaf mod. I want to make claim bastards with my cumsprite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Arbite posted:

20% off on greenmangaming with that voucher they've got till jan 2nd. probably not gonna see anything lower than that for the next few months

• Locked thread