Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Gundam Reconguista in G: This Moeblob Has Brain Damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Eiba posted:

People with brain damage don't act like cute moe blobs.

There are many kinds of brain damage, not just the drooling vegetable kind.
Raraiya doesn't even have to have amnesia but still can act like a toddler. Let a toddler explain the political situation of the moon to you.

Yes, I say moe blobs are toddlers in grown bodies.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Red Bones posted:

Tomino made a moe character, and his moe character literally has brain damage and constantly gets in peoples ways, and most of the time people are too busy doing other poo poo to find her cute. She's always seemed like a pretty obvious criticism of moe to me.

My problem with that line of reasoning is that I not only doubt it's true, it's pretty pointless even if it is because all he's doing is preaching to the choir at the end of the day. You can't create a character archetype and then spend a dozen or more episodes playing them straight and expect most people to see it as any kind of real criticism. The people you're trying to say it's bad too will just end up seeing it as another example of that character archetype - Rei from Evangelion being the best example of this. Anno rather explicitly created her to be an example of this exact type of thing and yet she became perhaps the progenitor of the whole craze and one of the most famous and beloved examples of it by fans. No-one watching was thinking "this is what I've been finding cute? Wow, that is hosed up" when they saw either Rei or Raraiya.

I doubt it's true though, because Tomino has done it before with Puru and her clone sisters, who spent their time running around chasing Judau, looking for ice-cream, taking baths and what not before hopping in mechs to die without any really commenting on it or caring. He just seems to like cute characters in his comedy shows. At least Princess...Anna (I think) in King Gainer was actually useful, likable and not even remotely creepy or sad though, so she stands as a good contrast to those two. Chill in Xabungle too, though she didn't really do much either that I recall.

Fat and Useless posted:

Gundam Reconguista in G: This Moeblob Has Brain Damage

Gundam Reconguista in G: Klim Nick for President
Gundam Reconguista in G: In the Year of Our Space Pope 1014
Gundam Reconguista in G: Don't say the K Word
Gundam Reconguista in G: Do You Speak Tomino? Please Apply Within for Position!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I hope Raraiya lives in the end.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Ahahahah

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ka0 posted:

Same, I would be very cross if she were to die!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

tsob posted:

I doubt it's true though, because Tomino has done it before with Puru and her clone sisters, who spent their time running around chasing Judau, looking for ice-cream, taking baths and what not before hopping in mechs to die without any really commenting on it or caring.

Actually that was just Puru.

Though Unicorn would have been twenty times funnier if Marida ran around like a hyperactive child.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

Though Unicorn would have been twenty times funnier if Marida ran around like a hyperactive child.

That's one of the reasons I love the Reborn mission where Marida starts talking about ice cream. If only she had unconditionally loved ice cream in Unicorn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samba De Amigo posted:

That's one of the reasons I love the Reborn mission where Marida starts talking about ice cream. If only she had unconditionally loved ice cream in Unicorn.

She did. She has a conversation with Banagher about going out for ice cream.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah Puru was actually unique in her desire to run around and be a kid, presumably because she was actually a natural child and not a cyber newtype clone. Puru 2 was a lot more aggressive, angry, and military-minded. We don't see Marida's childhood prior to the trauma but given the deployment of a ton of Puru Clones in the Neo Zeon Civil War it's probably safe to bet that they leaned towards Puru 2 moreso than Puru.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
I think you're all missing something here, and WHY Noredo, Bell, and Aida are able to tell Raraiya has recovered at the end of the episode.

Throughout the show, there were instances in which Raraiya was able to speak coherently, but these moments were few amongst many of her scenes and tended to be lost amidst her unusual behavior. Raraiya's condition tends to fluctuate, though it's certainly improved from when she was nearly catatonic at the beginning of the series. There's a HUGE difference between Raraiya describing MS combat as "There was a flash of light!" in episode 6 and being able to recognize that there was "beam rifle combat" going on outside in episode 10, and running to hug the G-Self when it manages to return safely from combat. She's demonstrated a number of instances in which she had better awareness of what's going on around her.

Now, at the beginning of the episode, she's speaking fine, she seems mostly aware of her surroundings, but something comes up during the conference that I haven't seen anyone mention.

She's got cold sweat running down her face. She can recall a little bit about herself and the people from Towasanga, but it obviously physically strains her to do so. When they take her out of the conference, she becomes quiet again, acting a bit more like her usual self, but the intelligence she displays isn't actually that much higher than when she got in the elevator to Sankt Port and knew where they were headed.

At the end of the episode, she is seemingly able to recall more of her memories without causing herself physical strain. That's why Bellri, Aida, and Noredo are able to realize that she's made an (almost) full recovery.

E: Also, something I thought of as I rewatched this bit to fact-check, did anyone else love the bit about throwing food away in the beginning of this episode? It really drives in the point about the food crisis that resulted in the kuntala.

Ryas fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 29, 2014

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Ka0 posted:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I still think Bell's gonna bite it before the end. He was flanked by two dead dudes in the outro.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm doubting that, I think it's just supposed to be him dealing with their deaths on his conscience. In the manliest loving way possible, by strutting.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Level Slide posted:

I still think Bell's gonna bite it before the end. He was flanked by two dead dudes in the outro.

If he can do it well that could be cool actually.

0080 and a/z are the only shows what had that happen, that I can think of off the top of my head.

I'd rather have a happy end than a tragic one though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Al was the main character of 0080, so it didn't happen there either. The entire show is viewed through his perspective and the main thrust of it is to show how his view of war changes, with the show bookending it with how radically different it is at the start and end. It's his show.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't want Bellri to die, he's one of the very few Gundam protagonists I actually like.

I don't want anyone to die, this is a fun and good series. If the ending goes full Zeta it'd just be depressing. It's like I like everyone in all sides. I'm sure with a couple more episodes I'll like everyone in Towasanga too.

At least please don't kill Genius Pilot Klim Nick and Captain totally-not-Luin Mask, Tomino. That'd just be way too depressing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

tsob posted:

Al was the main character of 0080, so it didn't happen there either. The entire show is viewed through his perspective and the main thrust of it is to show how his view of war changes, with the show bookending it with how radically different it is at the start and end. It's his show.

Bernie was also the main character, considering major portions of it are viewed through only his perspective.

Al is the viewpoint character but Bernie goes through an arc exactly as strong and important as his.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Fun fact: The Jahannam is actually the suit that was developed into the Grimoire, and the Grimoire is being tested out by the pirates before it's adopted by the entire Amerian army.

Found that out when I was looking at pics of the Jahannam when I was debating buying the kit.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Did somebody say "Jahannam "?

Gundam Ace Feb 2015 Issue posted:

Jahannam

* I spent a lot of time on the design before it came together. After drawing many close-ups, Tomino told me, "yeah, change the face. It could probably look more like a Zaku," so I redrew it.
* The reason Design 1 looks so humanlike is because it was originally drawn as a Towasangan unit. And since Towasanga was kind of an unknown force, I thought that "organic" look would go well with them.
* Explanation of the Jahannam's Cross Sensor: It is called the "Amerian Cross Sensor" and was apparently originally considered as a possible standard design element like the Zeon Monoeye. It is a system which uses the intersection of the horizontal and vertical axes to locate targets. (* This explanation comes from the editing department.)
* Just like the wipers on a car, the visor shutter is a cleaning mechanism. It is there to keep the sensors working at optimum efficiency during battle. In the desert and other dusty environments, the unit can operate with the shutter closed.

Bonus image of the "Design 1" dude's talking about :

Text: "Towasanga Mass Production Man Machine Plan 2 / Gyoubu"

In some of the early designs, they refer to the mobile suits as "Man Machines." There was also an earlier version of the Hecate that had a Cross Sensor on the chest below its head, apparently drawn before they decided not to use it as the series's Monoeye.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Friendly reminder that there's no new episode this week on account of New Year's break.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Went back to rewatch this ep and Aida spends the whole thing needling Bellri to nut up, it's great.

Might just marathon the series back up to this point. 15 eps is a p good place.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Man the new episode was absolutely packed with info, UC gets namedropped, there were new suits, and the preview just casually confirmed Bellri and Aida are related...at least distantly. With so little time left I think the Gondwan/Amerian war won't see a resolution, but all the Towasanga stuff is immediately more interesting.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The space battle was really cool, I like how they animated the explosions and used them to illuminate and break up the monotony of the space backdrop.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Rariaya still a QT.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love seeing a Gundam series do a long-range no-visual fight.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man the Space Pack's shield is cool.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Man the Space Pack's shield is cool.

90% sure I'll be grabbing a space pack for my G-Self if only to get that shield.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

John Carstairs posted:

Here's a detail I didn't pay much attention to until checking out the model kits:

The G-Self arrives in episode one with a fancy beam rifle and red shield:

When Aida attacks the Crown later in the episode, she's got a simpler rifle and blue shield:

Bellri has switched between them several times so far, but always uses them in the same combinations. He never uses the original rifle with the blue shield as far as I recall, for instance. But the HG G-Self comes with the original rifle and the blue shield, and the Space Pack, which is naturally sold separately, comes with the simpler rifle and the red shield. Looks like a subtle case of Bandai trying to milk more money from nerds. :v: You want your toys to be screen accurate, don't you?

It's working. :tinfoil:

Also, I like how Mick is slowly becoming Klim's babysitter.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Warmachine posted:

90% sure I'll be grabbing a space pack for my G-Self if only to get that shield.

The kit was announced way before they actually thought out what they wanted the Space Pack to be capable of apparently. The shield can't split apart to do that I-field thing or even store the beam rifle.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

John Carstairs posted:

Also, I like how Mick is slowly becoming Klim's babysitter.

The Genius's non-answer to Mick about air leaks, and Happa's freakout when his Not-a-Zaku arrived on the Megafauna was quite telling.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The eyes went BWONG! :allears:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I think my favorite part was Hecate revving up its chainsaw then the next time we see it, it's sawing off some dude's arm. gently caress yeah chainsaw bayonets.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So what the gently caress was Noredo shooting at with her slingshot on the ship? We see her taking a potshot at something offscreen and then wandering off to talk to Raraiya. The tone in this show is so weird because they go through all sorts of efforts to show really practical matters like the mobile suit mosquito nets or the vacuuming of the hanger bay, but then they have stupid poo poo like Noredo shooting her slingshot at nothing on the hanger deck because.... uh... wacky! Reasons! Excitement!

quote:

I love seeing a Gundam series do a long-range no-visual fight.

I'll admit it was nice to see a sci-fi beyond visual range fight, it didn't strike me as being very well done. Lots of explosions and flashy lights, but not a lot of sense really put into it. A good example is Raraiya taking potshots at... something from on top of the ship. Beams or missiles, there isn't really any visual indicator of what she is shooting at other than that it explodes after she shoots.

Of course there is also the fact that beyond visual range battles make zero sense in UC gundam unless you have newtypes involved since minovsky particles should be making it impossible to know where to aim, but for that I'd just refer to my above comment.

quote:

The kit was announced way before they actually thought out what they wanted the Space Pack to be capable of apparently. The shield can't split apart to do that I-field thing or even store the beam rifle.

Honestly the G-self is the most Mary Sue of gundams, it does whatever the plot needs it to do to win the fight, including pulling new upgrades out of its rear end that may or may not be used again. I'm not sure we'll see it do that shield thing more than once or twice more despite the fact there probably isn't any reason not to.

That said it was nice to see the G-self take damage for once, especially with Bellri pulling his most ridiculous Kira Yamato impression. Has it actually taken damage at all over the course of the show other than the damage to its backpack this episode?

TARDISman posted:

I think my favorite part was Hecate revving up its chainsaw then the next time we see it, it's sawing off some dude's arm. gently caress yeah chainsaw bayonets.

Beam chainsaw bayonets. Even better.

Overall not a bad episode for G-reco.

Caros fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 9, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

they have stupid poo poo like Noredo shooting her slingshot at nothing on the hanger deck because.... uh... wacky! Reasons! Excitement!

Noredo is frequently shown fidgeting and fooling around with her slingshot. It's just something she does. People fidget and move around and do things besides just stand still. It is what they do.

Caros posted:

I'll admit it was nice to see a sci-fi beyond visual range fight, it didn't strike me as being very well done. Lots of explosions and flashy lights, but not a lot of sense really put into it. A good example is Raraiya taking potshots at... something from on top of the ship. Beams or missiles, there isn't really any visual indicator of what she is shooting at other than that it explodes after she shoots.

She is shooting at the beams dispersed by the nets in order to disperse them completely. They say this onscreen.

Caros posted:

That said it was nice to see the G-self take damage for once, especially with Bellri pulling his most ridiculous Kira Yamato impression. Has it actually taken damage at all over the course of the show other than the damage to its backpack this episode?

Yes. it recovers damage. This was stated in the second episode. Also Bellri wasn't being Kira Yamato.

Caros posted:

Of course there is also the fact that beyond visual range battles make zero sense in UC gundam unless you have newtypes involved since minovsky particles should be making it impossible to know where to aim, but for that I'd just refer to my above comment.

They have scouter units who are aiming the weapons. Again, this is shown onscreen. Bellri's unit has a special weapon (so do Mask's actually) that allow them to use ranged weapons more effectively.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 9, 2015

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Might just be me but the Dorette fleet's mobile suits in this episodes were far more reminiscent of the Jupiter Empire's stuff than Zanscare.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
I have to wonder if Bellri is saying the typical (I think it was largely Kamille who pioneered this, but I could be wrong) Gundam notion of "If you haven't come out here, you wouldn't have died!" statements to to push the blame off himself incase he does actually shoot someone down, at least from the mental point (since you know, no one can actually hear him). If only because he makes a lot of effort to disable, yet has no commentary when he actually completely blows up one of the retreating dudes with the beam cannons.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I don't think Bellri really needed to reiterate his desire to not kill people three (was it more?) times, but that's about the extent to which I agree with the Kira comparison. Also, I don't see how the G-Self and its arsenal of largely useless upgrades are more "Mary Sue"-ish than early 00 CB or Gundam Wing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yosuke posted:

I have to wonder if Bellri is saying the typical (I think it was largely Kamille who pioneered this, but I could be wrong) Gundam notion of "If you haven't come out here, you wouldn't have died!" statements to to push the blame off himself incase he does actually shoot someone down, at least from the mental point (since you know, no one can actually hear him). If only because he makes a lot of effort to disable, yet has no commentary when he actually completely blows up one of the retreating dudes with the beam cannons.

He's basically saying "don't make me kill you because I will!" Which is why the Kira comparison falls flat. Bellri WILL kill you, he just doesn't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

ImpAtom posted:

He's basically saying "don't make me kill you because I will!" Which is why the Kira comparison falls flat. Bellri WILL kill you, he just doesn't want to.

Yeah, I got that. It's more, he goes "Try not to die" which is basically "Well, it's not entirely my fault if you get hit". It's just how he also reacted when he killed his instructor way back when. Though it was actually the full "If he didn't pilot specifically, he wouldn't have died!"

• Locked thread