Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Got Smash Wii U for Christmas. I've been trying to get in shape by fighting Mario at difficulty 9, and I'm wondering if I'm learning some bad habits with this method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What's the goon opinion of the netcode? I just got this and a Wii U for Christmas, and I've had a string of utterly awful 1v1s and I'd like to know if it's more on the game or my connection. Hard to learn how to Shulk when there's a full second of input lag. :(

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Got Smash Wii U for Christmas. I've been trying to get in shape by fighting Mario at difficulty 9, and I'm wondering if I'm learning some bad habits with this method.

Typically they just make you overestimate your opponents or never take risks with human opponents. The bots play extremely defensively until they exploit any holes in your own defense, whereas human players are typically outright offensive all the time.

Spiritus Nox posted:

What's the goon opinion of the netcode? I just got this and a Wii U for Christmas, and I've had a string of utterly awful 1v1s and I'd like to know if it's more on the game or my connection. Hard to learn how to Shulk when there's a full second of input lag. :(

The netcode feels silky smooth for the most part, at least for me and my friends.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Spiritus Nox posted:

Online is good, it's not flawless and it makes playing Shulk a dice roll but it's alright.

Much as I enjoy Shulk I can't stand getting wrong arts due to input delay or lag.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Get a wired connection. Makes the game way better.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you are training with bots for whatever reason, whether you don't have access to a good online connection or just to build confidence, an important thing to remember is to not look for ways to exploit their AI to win, since that won't translate into people. You can practice approaches, combos, pokes and low-hop stuff to see what works and what doesn't because one thing a bot will always do is perfect-shield and punish you, so you can figure out what's safe and what isn't on a fundamental level. Try to figure out what your character is capable of and what they can get away with more than trying to win against an AI and you should be fine. You'll invariably have to adjust your strategy when you start fighting real people but it's not a terrible way to build a knowledge base to work from, and reassure yourself that you at least somewhat know what you're doing.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

I picked this game up over the weekend. Having a blast online and off. Just a question though:

Was Marth heavily shafted in this iteration? And was Ike change? Neither feels particularly the same compared to Brawl, and Marth feels "floatier" than he did in Melee.

Nintendo ID is Resro if people wanna smash.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Amgard posted:

I picked this game up over the weekend. Having a blast online and off. Just a question though:

Was Marth heavily shafted in this iteration? And was Ike change? Neither feels particularly the same compared to Brawl, and Marth feels "floatier" than he did in Melee.

Pretty much everyone got changed in some way, yeah. Marth doesn't seem weak comparatively in this version to me, he is different though to bring him more in line with the rest of the characters in 4. He's still got a lot of weapons though.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
I guess I should put up my name into the pot. Nintendo ID is Deiterbomber and I am mediocre at best.

EDIT: Also, steam is http://steamcommunity.com/id/deiterbomber/ if you want to get a hold of me for a game or something.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Speaking of the weeabo swordsmen, I really liked that Ike hit the gym for the WiiU and is buff as gently caress! He now has the right look for wielding a giant gently caress-off sword that hits like a truck.

A friend came by the other day and we played online for eight godamn hours. It's like being a kid again, I'm happy with my 300€ smash bros machine.

edit VVV Confused my Yaoi sword-men, fixed!

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 29, 2014

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Speaking of the weeabo swordsmen, I really liked that Marth hit the gym for the WiiU and is buff as gently caress! He now has the right look for wielding a giant gently caress-off sword that hits like a truck.

A friend came by the other day and we played online for eight godamn hours. It's like being a kid again, I'm happy with my 300€ smash bros machine.

Far as I see, Marth is as lean and girly as always, and his sword's shorter than ever.

Now Ike, Ike has indeed gotten really buff. Going with his Radiant Dawn look was the right choice (going with his Awakening look would've made me never play Ike again)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Amgard posted:

Regarding Marth:

A lot of his attacks have increased endlag now. Some of his attacks also come out slightly slower than in the past, but a look through frame data show that the frames where he actually hits opponents are around the same frames as in Brawl. The biggest loser in this regard is his fair which is a little slower overall compared to Brawl.

His range should be about the same as it was in Brawl. However, his sword reach is generally longer compared to his Brawl incarnation, including on the otherwise nerfed fair.

Power-wise, his tipper hits gives him lots of kill power compared to most characters of his weight class. (KOing opponents at 50% from tipper F-Smash? :swoon:)

Also, I believe tipper hitboxes now take priority over his normal hitboxes if both hit the opponent at the same time. That's pretty good for Marth.

However, Smash 4 now includes a great deal of fighters who can fight from around the same range or further than Marth which both give him more competition and also worse overall matchups than he had in Brawl.

Overall, he's still a solid character.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just got this game with my new shiny wiiu.

I really don't want to be spoiled and look it up, but what is the best way to tackle the content in this game, especially if I'm trying to unlock all the characters and stages?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
120 1 stock suicides should take care of unlocking all the characters.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Interview with Sakurai where he talks about Smash tour. He also talks a little bit about competitive players and making an effort to include them, and his overall design philosophy on Smash.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Interview with Sakurai where he talks about Smash tour. He also talks a little bit about competitive players and making an effort to include them, and his overall design philosophy on Smash.

Except the elements of randomness simply turn the skill gap into a skill chasm.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's strange how I'll sometimes play people who are really loving good at this game and be unable to beat them game after game. Then I play ganondorf and they just crumble. People just don't know how to deal with the death choke.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Kewpuh posted:

i cant wrap my head around how good some people are at not always facing the wrong direction or landing grabs. also i cant seem to loving attack without doing a dash attack and i'm terrible at doing tilt attacks, i always end up doing a smash instead

handy tip: change the direction you face using rolling. you won't need to lightly move the left stick in a direction.

- rolling backwards end with you facing the same direction you started. rolling forwards ends with you facing the opposite direction.

- rolling into the edge of a platform always makes you face the inside of the platform you are on no matter which way you were facing when you started.

also learn the distance you roll with whatever characters you use

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Rolling too much will get you punished if your opponent knows what they're doing, though. It's real handy to learn the timing on turning around for attacks.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I can't quite get the timing down for pocketing my tree after it gets reflected. Most of the time it seems I'm still in Axe-lag when the tree falls on me. Does the final chop have a lot of end lag? It doesn't seem like it, but most of the time the tree is a big enough threat that I don't get punished anyway.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a list anywhere of which custom moves to give a poo poo about? I just got Lucario's Snagging Sphere and I think I'll just stick with going for the ones that matter.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is there a list anywhere of which custom moves to give a poo poo about? I just got Lucario's Snagging Sphere and I think I'll just stick with going for the ones that matter.

I don't know about most characters, but Peach has some really great custom moves. Sleepy Toad is fantastic for setting up combos, Flower Bomber is great for incorporating into combos, and Light Veggie is far superior for actually hitting your opponent.

By the way, my Nintendo ID is Izzhov if anyone wants to play!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tournament-wise, the Smash community have decided upon these sets or each character as of now. 6 unique sets where 2 or 3 are the primary ones and the rest are supplemental ones to round out certain weaknesses. As for why there's only 6 sets right now, the 7th and 8th slots are for 2222 and 3333 sets to help people familiarize themselves with how custom moves work (1111 can always be selected) with the exception of Palutena, and slot 9-10 are for people carrying custom movesets not listed.

That said, it's pretty beta though so how long it'll hold up will be interesting. Most people there agree that Ganondorf has some kick-rear end custom specials while Jigglypuff... is mostly better off with her default stuff.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Was at an arcade on Saturday and was approached to join in a Smash tourney. Said "Sure," walked over to where 12 people were gathered with Pro controllers and Wii-motes and I set up a control profile.

We had at least 6 people ready to go when the coordinator walks over and says "Ok, we're doing 1 on 1, no items, Final Destination.

I poo poo you not.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Copper Vein posted:

Was at an arcade on Saturday and was approached to join in a Smash tourney. Said "Sure," walked over to where 12 people were gathered with Pro controllers and Wii-motes and I set up a control profile.

We had at least 6 people ready to go when the coordinator walks over and says "Ok, we're doing 1 on 1, no items, Final Destination.

I poo poo you not.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Folt The Bolt posted:

That said, it's pretty beta though so how long it'll hold up will be interesting. Most people there agree that Ganondorf has some kick-rear end custom specials while Jigglypuff... is mostly better off with her default stuff.

Discovering Ganondorf's custom moves made him go from "worst character in the game" to "the one character to choose when I need someone that will not die", alongside some equipment. Now I've used Ganondorf in basically everything, he makes Classic, Events, Home-Run and Angry Birds so much easier.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Copper Vein posted:

I poo poo you not.

... so what is your point, here?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Copper Vein posted:

I poo poo you not.
sounds like things were going correctly, minus that battlefield is better

unless you actually think 'tournament' should be a 6 person match with items on? instead of, a series of 1v1s??

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

... so what is your point, here?

He said the Smash tournament catchphrase (minus "Fox only") and that's very funny

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

gay skull posted:

He said the Smash tournament catchphrase (minus "Fox only") and that's very funny

:geno:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
To be fair, that kind of playstyle for tournaments has been repeated and used a lot of times. The thing is, though, is that the reason for that is because that's the least random, gimmicky way to play and so you're going to see that a lot in tournaments. There's nothing really dumb or silly about that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I do still wish there was a 'battlefield' option alongside final destination versions of stages.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

IronicDongz posted:

I do still wish there was a 'battlefield' option alongside final destination versions of stages.

and Smashville and Town&City options

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

IronicDongz posted:

DoctorWhat posted:

and Smashville and Town&City options

Omega versions should have just been different platform arrays; one of the few things I will admit Project M did right.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

I wouldn't mind that. Though I would much prefer a Boss Frequency slider kinda like what they do with the music.

Also my NNID is SilverSpark.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I'm really bored. Anyone up for some 3DS Smash? NNID: OmegaGoo.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really shocked they don't have toggles or sliders for stage hazards and transitions. Like, if I could do, say, just the first part of Castle Siege or remove the Golden Axe thiefNabbit from Mushroom Kingdom or get those drat murderswords out of the Pokemon level, I'd never need another game (until the next Smash came out).

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
oh god chickens. chickens everywhere

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Crotch posted:

I'm really shocked they don't have toggles or sliders for stage hazards and transitions. Like, if I could do, say, just the first part of Castle Siege or remove the Golden Axe thiefNabbit from Mushroom Kingdom or get those drat murderswords out of the Pokemon level, I'd never need another game (until the next Smash came out).

Yeah, I'd rather have this than Omega Stages. It's a shame how many stages have great lay-outs and transformations but get ruined by annoying bullshit that pops up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It wouldn't be a problem if we could copy/paste+select n' move things in the stage editor, but I guess we're supposed to painstakingly place every single bit of terrain by hand

and so most people just don't

• Locked thread