Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

That's my MP40 setup now as well. Bring it will you when you go para. Don't buy the para-specific gun because it's almost 300k, can't be upgraded and won't be available to you if you go back to other classes. Worst money I've spent in game, period.

Or get the Russian SMG (PPSH)... clip size is nice, but you need headshots and close (or medium close) range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Nitrox posted:

That's my MP40 setup now as well. Bring it will you when you go para. Don't buy the para-specific gun because it's almost 300k, can't be upgraded and won't be available to you if you go back to other classes. Worst money I've spent in game, period.

Ended up going para yesterday, I think it really improved the game for me. Limited ammo on the MP40 can be rough if I can't find a new gun as I'm running low on ammo.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Resource posted:

Ended up going para yesterday, I think it really improved the game for me. Limited ammo on the MP40 can be rough if I can't find a new gun as I'm running low on ammo.
Make those 64 bullets count!

I bought veteran upgrade when I went para, just so I can run Hoarder and parachute delay badge at the same time. In one game, I saw a paratrooper running around with a pistol, it was hilarious.

Edit: Don't buy FG42, it's garbage.

AmiEsiM
Dec 6, 2013

Always be yourself, unless you can be Batman.
Make sure to get your free badges from their christmas gift

HAPPYHOLIDAYS2014

also, mp40 is amazing and worth the bullshit price it has

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012
Kinda liking the game so far. Though everything seems drat expensive. Still learning the ropes and reached rank 3.

However is cheating something common? Bumped into a 4v2 game last night and one dude on the other team was simply invisible, could see the "tracer" from his bullets but not his body so he ended up with 16-0 kills. I made a point tracking him to be sure but he was just ghosted. No clue how to report though if it's the case.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Nitrox posted:

Make those 64 bullets count!

I bought veteran upgrade when I went para, just so I can run Hoarder and parachute delay badge at the same time. In one game, I saw a paratrooper running around with a pistol, it was hilarious.

Edit: Don't buy FG42, it's garbage.

I ran around with a pistol as a para so I could carry grenades. I was doing it to level up the handgun badge with the Happyholidays2014 voucher thing. It went pretty well. Land somewhere unexpected, shoot all the dudes, grab the nice Thompson. Problem solved.

Edit: Also, how should I level up to get tank destroying capabilities as a para?

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Resource posted:

I ran around with a pistol as a para so I could carry grenades. I was doing it to level up the handgun badge with the Happyholidays2014 voucher thing. It went pretty well. Land somewhere unexpected, shoot all the dudes, grab the nice Thompson. Problem solved.

Edit: Also, how should I level up to get tank destroying capabilities as a para?

That'll be a long road. In that case, you may wanna buy $8 worth of gold and spend some of it on sticky grenades. I have a para with stickies, normal grenades, and a pistol. I imagine leveling that sort of thing as a para for "free" will take forever (paras can't equip bazookas).

If you're feeling really cheap, you can buy the ground based anti tank mines... But they take an precious extra slot and are more difficult to use than stickies.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The most effective way to get armor destruction progression is Tellermines and Faust-equipped jeep/kubel. Mines take 2 slots of space, cost very little to use, and with proper badges can really multiply in your inventory. On defense maps, drop a mine on the side of the road, where enemy is sure to bring tanks or other vehicles. Don't place them in the middle, but offset to where a tire will run it over. And mines set each other off, so spread them out. I've gotten car/tank kills 20 minutes after placing mines on some long forgotten road.

You can also sneak behind an enemy tank and place that mine right next to it. Then go back about 6 meters and shoot the mine. Most light and medium tanks will be dead. If not, place 2 mines

When you spawn your jeep/kubel with AT box in the back, pull over 30 seconds later and grab a panzerfaust. Then continue driving right towards arond some unlucky light tank. Jump out, fire the one in your hands and immediately follow up with a freshly spawned panzerfaust on the back of your vehicle. Light tanks die in 2 shots, the rest vary.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
If you choose to change to a being a tanker or what ever can you change lines back at any time or are you completely stuck after the choice?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

wjs5 posted:

If you choose to change to a being a tanker or what ever can you change lines back at any time or are you completely stuck after the choice?
You can go back, no problem. Just pay the fee.

I would suggest you get your thompson/mp40 before going tank. It will make defending your armor much easier

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

wjs5 posted:

When you switch "professions" you permanently lose current gear. For example, if you're a tanker and switch to infantry, then decide to go back to tanker, you will then need to re-purchase your tanks.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Gerbil_Pen posted:

When you switch "professions" you permanently lose current gear. For example, if you're a tanker and switch to infantry, then decide to go back to tanker, you will then need to re-purchase your tanks.
I went from infantry to paratrooper and back and all my infantry purchases were still there. Is this a tank-only sort of deal?

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

I went from infantry to paratrooper and back and all my infantry purchases were still there. Is this a tank-only sort of deal?

Oh, really? I asked this on their forums in the newbie section a few iterations ago, so maybe it changed... I never wanted to risk it.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
I've decided to try the mines and a pistol as my para loadout. Stealing a weapon from a dead guy is easy enough, and the mines were only 31 gold. I only wish para queue times were not so long.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
You need to re-purchase htings for each character, but if you change your character into something else they'll still have all their junk, just... unable to use it.

You should keep your first guy infantry forever, tho, and just make another guy to become a tanker.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Wait, so now that I have para, I can't switch back and forth between infantry and para without paying each time? So I'm stuck only doing para or starting all over to make a new infantry guy? This game is constantly loving up when it comes to making me not hate it.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Resource posted:

Wait, so now that I have para, I can't switch back and forth between infantry and para without paying each time? So I'm stuck only doing para or starting all over to make a new infantry guy? This game is constantly loving up when it comes to making me not hate it.

You'll need multiple characters... that's why the guy above said to keep your infantry and start a new character for para.

And yes, unless you drop gold, this game is a slog if you want to experience most of the content (different characters, tanks, both factions, the RTS side, etc).

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Resource posted:

Everything in game cost money, and money = time spent playing. The whole point is to keep you invested in a specific role, which is a half assed attempt to separate this game from common shooters. Once you have different soldiers using different roles, it'll be very convenient to shuffle them in battle for different purposes. Click on "Your Soldiers" button in lower right corner to create multiples.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Germany won the war. So we doing the same faction agian?

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

wjs5 posted:

Germany won the war. So we doing the same faction agian?

...wait for this next one to end.The queue on German side is horrendous and it appears the US was plugging away shortly after server crash. It will be over momentarily.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Gerbil_Pen posted:

...wait for this next one to end.The queue on German side is horrendous and it appears the US was plugging away shortly after server crash. It will be over momentarily.

You were correct america won the server is lovely and dieing war. The next war germany is doing much better and only needs one more major city atm.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Not sure if I like or dislike this game. I find the infantry fighting to be both satisfying and incredibly annoying! It seems to favour camping prone rather than attacking.

I do love the animations such as getting in/out vehicles and the graphics/models are fantastic. Lots of little details that aren't in bit titles.

I'm grinding these skirmish things to get to the real game, just to be clear - is the real game on a big map, or is it instanced little maps like the skirmishes? I hope it's more than 3 because it's already old grinding the same maps so far.

Glad to have a WWII shooter without gimmicks though, DoD feels :)

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

simosimo posted:

Not sure if I like or dislike this game. I find the infantry fighting to be both satisfying and incredibly annoying! It seems to favour camping prone rather than attacking.

I do love the animations such as getting in/out vehicles and the graphics/models are fantastic. Lots of little details that aren't in bit titles.

I'm grinding these skirmish things to get to the real game, just to be clear - is the real game on a big map, or is it instanced little maps like the skirmishes? I hope it's more than 3 because it's already old grinding the same maps so far.

Glad to have a WWII shooter without gimmicks though, DoD feels :)

Once you get to rank three I think it is it unlocks all the maps and you get to fight everyone. The big war map is mostly for the guys that have a high enough rank to move units around.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

wjs5 posted:

The big war map is mostly for the guys that have a high enough rank to move units around.

Moving ATs around requires rank 12, but anyone can play war matches. Unless you're bad, then stick with training... you'll enjoy it more.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Moving ATs around requires rank 12, but anyone can play war matches. Unless you're bad, then stick with training... you'll enjoy it more.

I feel like the 10 minute queues as para are what really discourage me from doing the war matches. :(

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Resource posted:

I feel like the 10 minute queues as para are what really discourage me from doing the war matches. :(
Create multiple soldiers with unique skills and have them all included in the match search. If para isn't available, then you can be a tanker, pilot, sniper or infantry.

Also, as infantry, buy all vehicles as they become available. That way your pool of available matches will go up significantly. Most units on a map are guard infantry, which requires a motorcycle or mobile infantry, which requires a jeep. Having the APC puts you in the most veteran matches, as they are rare and highly valued top infantry unit.

Don't jump from branch to branch, it's a waste of money and effort. Plus you don't get to keep any of the cool weapons or vehicles you acquire.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Create multiple soldiers with unique skills and have them all included in the match search. If para isn't available, then you can be a tanker, pilot, sniper or infantry.

Also, as infantry, buy all vehicles as they become available. That way your pool of available matches will go up significantly. Most units on a map are guard infantry, which requires a motorcycle or mobile infantry, which requires a jeep. Having the APC puts you in the most veteran matches, as they are rare and highly valued top infantry unit.

Don't jump from branch to branch, it's a waste of money and effort. Plus you don't get to keep any of the cool weapons or vehicles you acquire.

My understanding is you do actually keep them you just cant use them.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Nitrox posted:

How do you include all of your soldiers in the match search? Good tip about the vehicles though, i'll do that :)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Resource posted:

How do you include all of your soldiers in the match search? Good tip about the vehicles though, i'll do that :)
You put check marks next to their names? It doesn't let you join a match until you mark at least 1 soldier, so I don't know how you missed that.

wjs5 posted:

My understanding is you do actually keep them you just cant use them.
Yes you do, but what then? Pray you'll make it to general rank and pass it on? Yeah, useless expensive hardware :) My infantry soldier has unlocked multiple tanks, MGs and half way through sniper rifle badge, all from picking up dropped or abandoned equipment.

The non-recon sniper rifle is does not take upgrades, right? I just want to make sure before spending so much on it.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 14, 2015

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

The non-recon sniper rifle is does not take upgrades, right? I just want to make sure before spending so much on it.

Correct, can't be upgraded.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Correct, can't be upgraded.

Again my understanding is if you actually unlock it on your infantry guy then go recon and mod it and then switch back you can still use it modded you just cant ever take them off or change them. This is a very expensive thing to do though.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

wjs5 posted:

Again my understanding is if you actually unlock it on your infantry guy then go recon and mod it and then switch back you can still use it modded you just cant ever take them off or change them. This is a very expensive thing to do though.

Yeah I bought mine then realised I couldn't upgrade it, BUT it seems like it does a bit more damage than it says it does, there have been plenty of times I've nailed people who seem undamaged and got a non-headshot kill on them, more times than I haven't in fact, then again last time i played was a few months ago, and having a scope helps allot either way.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

wjs5 posted:

Do you have to buy a new sniper rifle when you're unlock it via recon progress tree or its it over and the same? My current plan is to unlock (and buy) every weapon with 1 primary soldier, who is well on his way to becoming a general. Then spread the wealth among lesser scrubs, who will remain specialized units. Recon sniper rifle is all that is left now.

Current infantry load out is mg42 and k98 at the same time with Hoarder badge. Locking down bridges like it ain't no thang

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Scoped k98 + mp40 as infantry is pretty loving hilarious.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Spaatz Addon #2 is here with Improved Hit Detection & Key Toggles!
The 'Spaatz addon #2' update is now live on the servers and introduces new and Improved Hit Detection & Action Game Toggles.

In Spaatz Addon #2 the main thing is an updated and extended way of handling Hit Detection.

As you might already know Heroes & Generals uses server-side hit detection instead of the more common client-side hit detection. The differences is not super obvious and the cause for many misunderstandings so we will try to explain a bit more about what happens here.

Here is a short explanation of the differences
Client-side hit detection means that your machine (the client) checks if your bullets hit the enemy you are aiming at and then tells the server: "Hey Server! I just shot that guy!", the server then tells the other player: "You're dead!"

Server-side hit detection means that your machine (the client) checks if your bullets hit the enemy you are aiming at and then tells the server: "Hey Server! I just shot at that guy! Did I hit?", the server then checks if you hit and tells you: "yep! You Hit", and the other player: "You’re dead!".

We think that the server-side hit detection is the most fair. It creates an equal situation for everybody where the server acts as an impartial referee. This is especially the case in a game where players can choose to join games from all over the world. Lag will of course always be annoying, but we think that server-side is the most fair way of dealing with hit detection. In addition in a game where the result of every single fight has a direct influence on the progression of the war, overall fairness is more important than in games with a looser coupling between action and strategy.

By taking the existing hit detection and scrutinizing what could be better we have improved and expanded the hit detection system to give a better experience while playing the game and be the best fit for Heroes & Generals.

If you want to know more about hit detection with a few demonstrations thrown in take a look at this highlight from our devstream #14 – http://youtu.be/LSJwfYes2KU?t=2m25s where Reto.Gargamel & Reto.RedBjarne explains how it works.

Action game toggles
For some players this is also a very important feature. We can see that from the passion in the forum threads and ingame discussions regarding whether crouch and aim should be a hold or a toggle… You can now decide for yourself – press “Escape” – “Input Settings” – “Remap Keys” and start setting toggles!
The following settings can be set to toggle: “show map”, precision aim, sprint, crouch, walk & vehicle cover.

The full changelog can be found here: Spaatz - Addon #2 Update - Changelog

Mobile Command
The Mobile Command app moves along on its own release cycle (when at all possible), and no update is necessary for this build.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

TehKeen posted:

Scoped k98 + mp40 as infantry is pretty loving hilarious.

I need to try this.

Nitrox posted:

Current infantry load out is mg42 and k98 at the same time with Hoarder badge. Locking down bridges like it ain't no thang

or this.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I just hope the text menu "toggle" doesn't get patched out. I like stealing cars and shoot people at the same time, thank you very much

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrox posted:

I just hope the text menu "toggle" doesn't get patched out. I like stealing cars and shoot people at the same time, thank you very much

I'm Looking forward to seeing how improved the poo poo detection is. Apparently people say movement seems smoother as well.

Most of all, they've improved the anti cheat... Now I can see if me being constantly owned by xxxmonster is due to hax or just because I'm not elite mil-ops like him.

One more big update then come the Russians?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

^^^ my itchy mosin finger awaits ^^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
How does the scoped kar98k take up less inventory space than the non scoped version?
Guess it's back to bolt action rifle for a bit to unlock the scoped version.

• Locked thread