Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Story via Autoblog

quote:

Imagine you're a wealthy Ariel driver who wants nothing more than to take your tube-framed giant killer off road. You realize it'd destroy basically everything on the car, though. Whatever will you do? Well, if you can put off trail bombing for the time being, you might be able to secure your very own Ariel Nomad in the near future.

Think of an Ariel Atom that's been designed specifically to do to trails what the standard Atom can do to racetracks, and you'll get the Nomad. The sub-1,600-pound off-roader shares the Atom's minimalist styling treatments and ladder frame, but comes with big, knobbly off-road tires, underbody reinforcement, a brawny brush guard up front and a robust rollcage. Somewhat worryingly, though, it only has two driven wheels.

"We've done quite a bit of testing on forest tracks and rally stages and results have been extremely encouraging," Henry Siebert-Saunders, son of Ariel chief Simon Saunders, told Autocar. "We know the car is quick and stable. But it's still a two-wheel-drive vehicle. We're looking forward to discovering how it performs in genuine off-road conditions - in mud or crawling over rocks - compared with a traditional 4x4."

AC reports that a 2.4-liter engine with around 200 horsepower is likely, and that both a six-speed manual transmission (from Honda) and a mechanical limited-slip differential will be standard. Naturally, more extreme equipment will also be offered as the Nomad evolves.

"The car should still be very quick on road," Siebert-Saunders said. "Not quite as quick as an Atom, maybe, but it will be able to do many things an Atom never could."

We'll have the full details on the Ariel Nomad when it debuts on January 9. Stay tuned.

I wonder what the pricing is going to be like? I'm guessing similar to the Atom. I think I could have way more fun in a legal fashion(outside of shredding federally protected wetlands) in something like that than any sports car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

fknlo posted:

I wonder what the pricing is going to be like? I'm guessing similar to the Atom. I think I could have way more fun in a legal fashion(outside of shredding federally protected wetlands) in something like that than any sports car.

Jalopnik is saying $47,000 to start and going up from there. Ariel will be taking orders next month and deliveries should be around the middle of 2015.

It's very awesome looking and if it's rear engine/rear wheel drive, I don't see it having any problems off-roading.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Minto Took posted:

Drum brakes on passenger cars are an abomination in tyool 2014.

Drum brakes are hella cheap for rears and make for a better parking break?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Secret Machine posted:

Jalopnik is saying $47,000 to start and going up from there. Ariel will be taking orders next month and deliveries should be around the middle of 2015.

It's very awesome looking and if it's rear engine/rear wheel drive, I don't see it having any problems off-roading.

Ungh. I could afford that but don't necessarily want to spend that much.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Mopar guys are weird, it's a disease. American cars have a unique flair, and Chrysler has always been at the fringe when it comes to that. Often you get insane garbage, but when they get it right it's hilarious.

I've had my Daytona Ram near a decade now and it still makes people smile and laugh. It's just so obnoxious and pointless that either people fall in love with it or think it's the best joke ever, but I've yet to meet someone who honestly hates it. The Hellcat is that turned to 11.

I'm the kind of boring rear end in a top hat that thinks trucks should be used exclusively for hauling heavy poo poo around and not be at all fun or have leather or electric locks or even really a radio because that just encourages people to buy them as a "family car" and tailgate me on the highway or take up 3 parking spots at Wegmans Walmart.

But that truck has a loving spoiler. It's a goddamn hilarious troll, and I want one.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm at least smart about my usage of it, 12mpg ain't so bad if you can get away with only putting 6,500 miles a year on it.

The obnoxious level on that thing is off the charts. Not making a comparison, but it's similar to our generation's Caddy fins. So over the top, so unnecessary. 40 years from now I think people will remember it as one of the high water marks for what this era stood for styling-wise.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 26, 2014

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Are the length of the stickers sized so that plus the spoiler is about equal to the spoiler height on a e: daytona/superbird? Because it's that thought that made me laugh.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 26, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, bottom of the stripe to the top of the wing is around the same height as the Superbird/Daytona. Ricers get envious when I tell them gently caress fiberglass, metal spoilers are where it's at.

The loving thing weighs like 50 pounds or some poo poo.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Got in a brand new Taurus at work and its absolutely appalling that a car of this size and weight has less knee room than the rental Focus I drove a couple months ago.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Secret Machine posted:

Jalopnik is saying $47,000 to start and going up from there.
It looks like good fun, but $47k sounds pretty high for what is really a simple/traditional buggy design.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Got in a brand new Taurus at work and its absolutely appalling that a car of this size and weight has less knee room than the rental Focus I drove a couple months ago.

It's my biggest complaint about my car ('13 Taurus). 9 months of ownership and I still can't really get comfortable during my long rear end commute. I miss my Fusion sometimes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

We just rented a Mitsubishi Outlander and a Mazda 3 hatch had more rear seat legroom and hiproom. Louder than my worn-out Subaru on the highway, hatch struts were blown at 24k km as well. Next time we'll just get a Mazda2.

It's like a Chinese knockoff of a Ford Explorer, just sold at new-Japanese-car prices.

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

fknlo posted:

Ariel is supposed to be revealing their new car on January 9th.

Behold the Nomad:

:gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

Wheres the antenna for the radio control?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Guy I got a lift from work to the airport with had a Taurus and I was _appalled_ at how little side-to-side legroom there was in the passenger well. I couldn't get comfortable. Ditto with the Dodge Charger, at least the '13 rental I had once. Unreal that cars that huge can still be kind of uncomfortable.

My DD '13 Jetta? I fit fine in, and I'm a big guy. Wife's '12 Focus gets _slightly_ snug getting in/out but once in, just fine.

Ridiculous.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

smr posted:

Guy I got a lift from work to the airport with had a Taurus and I was _appalled_ at how little side-to-side legroom there was in the passenger well. I couldn't get comfortable. Ditto with the Dodge Charger, at least the '13 rental I had once. Unreal that cars that huge can still be kind of uncomfortable.

My DD '13 Jetta? I fit fine in, and I'm a big guy. Wife's '12 Focus gets _slightly_ snug getting in/out but once in, just fine.

Ridiculous.

I felt similar when I got a lift in one of the current generation Escapes. The front seats felt so cramped compared to my previous generation Escape. Mine might be low-rent, but it's roomy and simple.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

So incredibly true. My 11 Taurus just got totaled, I replaced it with a new Fusion Titanium. I actually have the same room in my mid-size Fusion compared with the full-size Taurus. I was going to get another Taurus, but then I test drove the Fusion. I thought I was imagining the room it had at at first but then I looked at the dimensions.

Taurus
Front leg: 41.9
Front head: 39.0
Front hip: 56.3
Front shoulder: 57.9

Fusion
Front leg: 44.3
Front head: 39.2
Front hip: 55.0
Front shoulder: 57.8

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Do you guys think the Hellcat will have classic Chrysler transmission problems? Dealership told me the transmission is sourced from another manufacturer who covers a wide variety of car brands and they claim that this is why it'll be a solid transmission this time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Do you guys think the Hellcat will have classic Chrysler transmission problems? Dealership told me the transmission is sourced from another manufacturer who covers a wide variety of car brands and they claim that this is why it'll be a solid transmission this time.

The design is sourced. It's a ZF 8HP90 which is used in the rolls royce ghost and wraith.

I'm fairly sure chrysler is still building it though, lke they do the 8HP45 and 8HP70 designs they license, in which case pennies will be pinched and corners will be cut.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Also, the 6 speed is a Tremec piece, that's proven tech and shouldn't be an issue.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Powershift posted:

The design is sourced. It's a ZF 8HP90 which is used in the rolls royce ghost and wraith.

I'm fairly sure chrysler is still building it though, lke they do the 8HP45 and 8HP70 designs they license, in which case pennies will be pinched and corners will be cut.

Pretty much. I trust he design. I don't trust Chrysler to be able to make it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Right at this point, yeah, but I have a feeling stuff like that is gonna be the new "Japanese cars are cheap and will never challenge for market share" among the populace.

Chrysler has issues but they are light years better than they were even five years ago.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VikingSkull posted:

Chrysler has issues but they are light years better than they were even five years ago.

True, but so are Ford, Hyundai/Kia, even GM to some extent. They'll eventually make cars competently, the question is will they improve fast enough to stay alive while their competitors are significantly more polished and reliable.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fucknag posted:

True, but so are Ford, Hyundai/Kia, even GM to some extent. They'll eventually make cars competently, the question is will they improve fast enough to stay alive while their competitors are significantly more polished and reliable.

I would say that Hyundai/Kia is more polished than Chrysler and GM at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

I would say that Hyundai/Kia is more polished than Chrysler and GM at this point.

I don't know about that. Our neighbor just bought a 2013 Optima and the paint on the rear bumper is peeling.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Why is ZF apparently such a paragon of reliability? You guys never knew anyone who had an E61 7-series or the contemporary Jaguar XJ?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Throatwarbler posted:

Why is ZF apparently such a paragon of reliability? You guys never knew anyone who had an E61 7-series or the contemporary Jaguar XJ?

Because the alternative is a Chrysler automatic transmission.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

As mentioned earlier, it doesn't matter how good a design is if it's built by a bunch of wombles.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
They've used a ZF 6spd gearbox in falcons for about 6 years, and they're way better than the old 4spd and 5spd gearboxes they used to offer.
The only downside to the ZF has been ford's implementation of a cooler, the external lines blowing or the heat exchanger failing and coolant getting into the gearbox. I haven't heard of any problems otherwise.
Coolant problems affected the 4spd and 5 spd too unsuprisingly, but they could fail mechanically as well but I haven't heard of the ZF failing yet (and only did a quick google then to see if things have changed with no results.
E: Most people that own falcons and know what they are doing always bypass the factory transmission cooler and install a separate air cooler.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 2, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Fucknag posted:

Judging by their exploding market share, I'd say they have a good shot at it. Sergio Marchionne seems fairly competent, and as a Mopar guy I have faith in him.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
So Alfa have put out this sorta weird cheesy ad for the 4C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkmfVsWunJ0

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Hog Obituary posted:

I know sex sells but aren't they putting it on a little thick?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

:italy:

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I bet that ad is actually going to be very effective with the "I have lots of money but no personality, what car do I buy so women want to have sex with me?" demographic. Which is probably a fairly large one.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
Supple, leathery buttocks.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Want to gently caress that car.

...still better than that Cadillac commercial about being a workoholic.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Want to gently caress that car.

...still better than that Cadillac commercial about being a workoholic.

It's not about being a workaholic. It's about how everyone who doesn't drive a Cadillac is a lazy Commie welfare queen. Cadillac basically went "poo poo, the Escalade is so popular in the African American community, racist old white people don't want to drive them any more." And racist old white people used to be their biggest market.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 3, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KillHour posted:

It's not about being a workaholic. It's about how everyone who doesn't drive a Cadillac is a lazy Commie welfare queen. Cadillac basically went "poo poo, the Escalade is so popular in the African American community, racist old white people don't want to drive them any more." And racist old white people used to be their biggest market.

I think old people was more Buick's bag, Cadillac was more for the flashy rear end in a top hat type of rich people

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Hog Obituary posted:

And then when it breaks you realize, it's not you doing the loving.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tommychu posted:

And then when it breaks you realize, it's not you doing the loving.

When the warranty is up, that's when your rear end in a top hat starts to pucker waiting for the inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hog Obituary posted:

I'm sorry, did he hit 88 miles an hour on his car yet and make her orgasm? I missed the climax. There should be a car commercial that has pretty much says "This car vibrates with such power, LOOK AT THAT GIRL HAVING AN ORGASM IN IT! DON'T YOU WANT TO DRIVE THIS CAR, MAN WHO IS SEEKING HOT CHICKS TO BED?!"