Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Xibanya posted:

Some women's bodies have poor reactions to many of the the currently available hormonal birth control methods (side effects of the last one I was on included mood swings, lethargy, and a small chance of developing blood clots.)

If you're in long term monogamous relationship and you and your partner don't have diseases, condoms are a real drag.

I am in a long term monogamous relationship and I currently have the Nexplanon, which is an implant approved for 3 years of continuous use (rumored to work for 4 years.) I love that I just went in to the gynecologist one day, had it put in, and now I can totally forget about birth control for 3 years. Wouldn't you men in similar relationships like to have that luxury?

God yes. My wife is one of the people who have bad reactions to hormonal birth control. I will be on line for reversible male birth control the day it gets approved (assuming no serious side effects that would make it more of a drag than condoms, of course.)

Amergin posted:

if a girl gets an unexpected pregnancy she isn't stuck with it, again she can opt for adoption. For some reason you and a lot of other folks here think that a women's only options with unwanted pregnancy is "abortion" or "keep it as a burden"

Yes, the pregnancy is a burden so your only options are keep the pregnancy or abort it. Adoption still means being pregnant and giving birth which, burden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
My wife has terrible mood swings on hormonal birth control, it got so bad that she would break down and just weep.

We are looking at alternatives right now.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Voyager I posted:

I too am incapable of nuance.

I'm not sure what nuance has to do with calling people what they are. Maybe you're afraid of labeling your aunt on Facebook, but why should I give a poo poo?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SedanChair posted:

I'm not sure what nuance has to do with calling people what they are. Maybe you're afraid of labeling your aunt on Facebook, but why should I give a poo poo?

SedanChair: 'People who exhibit small implicit bias against black people on test same as Klansmen lynching people.'

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

SedanChair posted:

"Active misogynists"? I suppose you're the sort of person who needs to hear someone marching around yelling "friend of the family" before you tag them an "active racist."

Having policy beliefs as stupid and unexamined as the ones you mention make you a misogynist, period.

Dogwhistles and *wink wink, nudge nudge* "jokes" count too.

I see them more as simply stupid than malicious. Though really, the level of damage they can cause is the same. Worse even, as the loud ones or "active misogynists" are a hell of a lot easier to condemn in public.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Kalman posted:

SedanChair: 'People who exhibit small implicit bias against black people on test same as Klansmen lynching people.'

Fantastic spin

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
If enjoying race jokes makes me racist, welp...

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

Both, all of the above?

The problem is this thread's conversation about conservatives always devolves to every conservative votes and thinks in line with the most fundamental Jesus Krispie they ever met and obviously that's why all conservatives are bad and they disagree with everything people in this thread believe.

I'm just saying you can't take the ultra-religious minority and apply their morals to every conservative, even if they vote for the same person.

EDIT:

Part of the conservative argument here is that "condoms are a real drag" isn't really an argument for anything, but instead can be construed as laziness.

EDIT:

Looking at teen pregnancy rates and rates of teens having sex, the types of sex they have and when they start, it's not as simple as "they always have." It's a relatively recent phenomenon and that's part of what scares/agitates conservatives.

We can go in line with conservative policy on the issue then? Does that satisfy your lack of stereotypes litmus? Which goes back to abstinence only education and asinine requirements to get a zygote sucked out. Like viewing the loving clump of cells.

Also bwahahaha if you believe teenagers haven't been banging since history started. It's just now people talk about it and teens don't get hitched all the time. Ever heard of a shot gun wedding? That phrase is pretty old buddy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kalman posted:

No, it makes them both racists. But at least now I've got a handle on you!

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Amergin posted:

For some reason you and a lot of other folks here think that a women's only options with unwanted pregnancy is "abortion" or "keep it as a burden" and the increased accessibility to abortive measures continues this false set of options. Liberals seem to have an allergy to adoption.

That's an easy choice when you are the not the one that would suffer complications from pregnancy.

quote:

Then you get liberals accusing your sex ed of being abstinence-only and apparently that's bad.

So you don't think using proven ineffective education methods is bad?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I see a big limiting factor as cost. They hope to have it down to less than a flat screen tv? That is pretty vague, but just the fact that it is something you would have to budget/save for will restrict how many guys will spring for it.

Cost of pregnancy + birth versus cost of shot to balls. I doubt this will be a tough decision for insurance or medicaid.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Amergin posted:

If a girl gets an unexpected pregnancy she isn't stuck with it, again she can opt for adoption. For some reason you and a lot of other folks here think that a women's only options with unwanted pregnancy is "abortion" or "keep it as a burden" and the increased accessibility to abortive measures continues this false set of options. Liberals seem to have an allergy to adoption.

Probably because we understand how awful social services are for kids who have to go into them, and don't want to put more children into these rape factories than we have to.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Doctor Butts posted:

Cost of pregnancy + birth versus cost of shot to balls. I doubt this will be a tough decision for insurance or medicaid.

I'm sure it'd get blamed on Obamacare. Keep the government off my balls unless I'm in an airport!"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Gravel Gravy posted:

I'm sure it'd get blamed on Obamacare. Keep the government off my balls unless I'm in an airport!"

Don't wall off my vas deferens with polymer, bro.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

SedanChair posted:

No, it makes them both racists.

Then everyone is racist using your definitions so the word really has no meaning. You seem like someone who is all about social justice just so you can other-ize people you hate, rather than any real care about fixing things.

Sadly these sorts of leftists are the ones that become raging conservatives later in life because the hate is already swelling up.

rkajdi posted:

Probably because we understand how awful social services are for kids who have to go into them, and don't want to put more children into these rape factories than we have to.

As long as the baby is white there's no chance of this happening, but yea adoptions have a lot of issues in this country.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Doctor Butts posted:

But the cost comparison isn't this versus pregnancy, it is this versus the other birth control options. Condoms usually don't need to be budgeted for and help prevent STDs, birth control pills don't need to be thought about etc.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

I agree that's what they think they are doing but the origin of that cultural more is a desire to control women's sexuality.

The "forcing companies or government to cover contraception" is just political messaging to make their position more palatable to the general electorate. I imagine they would strongly support measures to make birth control illegal if they though they could get away with it.

Well they do keep pushing "personhood" amendments despite everyone pointing out that the language defining a fertilized egg as a person would result in massive swaths of birth control methods being effectively outlawed. And tons of other stuff too because the human body loves to miscarry or just fail to implant if it encounters so much a a light breeze at the wrong instant.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Well they do keep pushing "personhood" amendments despite everyone pointing out that the language defining a fertilized egg as a person would result in massive swaths of birth control methods being effectively outlawed. And tons of other stuff too because the human body loves to miscarry or just fail to implant if it encounters so much a a light breeze at the wrong instant.

Don't forget their push to prosecute miscarriages as murder.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

tsa posted:

Then everyone is racist using your definitions so the word really has no meaning.

It's almost like we are born, raised, live, and die in a racist society which affects our way of thinking down to our very core! But that would suck so let's not think about it.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tsa posted:

As long as the baby is white there's no chance of this happening, but yea adoptions have a lot of issues in this country.

Uh, white people go into foster housing too.

EDIT: I guess I should mention that this applies a lot more to "broken" (disabled, "crack/meth" babies) white kids. Privilege is what you're not mostly, so even if you're white it's easy to be hosed over if you're disabled or otherwise considered damaged.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 29, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Trust me, there are plenty of white foster kids nobody wants. However, there are lots of white kids in foster care that prospective adoptive parents want, and almost no black kids of whom you can say the same.

tsa posted:

Then everyone is racist using your definitions so the word really has no meaning. You seem like someone who is all about social justice just so you can other-ize people you hate, rather than any real care about fixing things.

No, it only makes Klansmen and people with implicit bias racists. If you're worried about your own implicit biases, work to eliminate them. Or get butthurt and cling to them out of reaction. Your call.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

tsa posted:

You seem like someone who is all about social justice just so you can other-ize people you hate, rather than any real care about fixing things.

Yup. (Though I note the irony in which you then describe conservatives as swelling balls of hate.)

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

rkajdi posted:

Uh, white people go into foster housing too.

Don't ruin the SJWs' dreams on here of being white making life a cakewalk and being non-white making life literally like being a Jew in Nazi Germany.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
drat the sjws

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

Don't ruin the SJWs' dreams on here of being white making life a cakewalk and being non-white making life literally like being a Jew in Nazi Germany.

Weren't you just bitching about liberals stereotyping conservatives?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lessail posted:

drat the sjws

My brain always de-acronyms this as Social Justice Wizards, which is way cooler than its intended usage.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

DemeaninDemon posted:

Weren't you just bitching about liberals stereotyping conservatives?

Hypocrisy I commit without noticing is part of my shtick man keep up.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

OK ok just making sure you're aware. This thread moves fast too...

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SedanChair posted:

No, it only makes Klansmen and people with implicit bias racists.

So, everyone.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I just found out that the Michigan Talent Network was proposed and passed by Rick Snyder. It's utterly useless and completely redundant, there are jobs programs in place already. But Rick, "I Get To Dissolve Your Elected Governemnt" Snyder gets to say he's for "creating" "jobs." Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Back story: Rick Snyder's completely unlawful act would allow him to effectively nullify elected governments wherever he wants. Voters repealed the law so he enacted the same law again later. He's literally the lawless tyrant the GOP makes Obama out to be yet the far right has said nothing about him.

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/12/snyder_signs_replacement_emerg.html

quote:

LANSING, MI -- Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder today signed a replacement emergency manager law that he says improves upon the version that voters rejected less than two months ago.

"Rejected" is what local newspapers use to mean, "repealed by a vote after the first law was passed." Michigan newspapers are notorious for publishing completely inaccurate quotes from people they interview, typos, improper punctuation, and generally being wrong about everything. They continue to do things like put parentheses after periods and quotes, for instance.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
De Blasio just gave a speech at the NYPD academy graduation. The response from the crowd was about what you'd expect. I honestly can't tell if he's just trolling them at this point.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Pope Guilty posted:

It's almost like we are born, raised, live, and die in a racist society which affects our way of thinking down to our very core! But that would suck so let's not think about it.

No, I have an even better idea! Instead, let's tar everyone with the same brush so they think we're assholes with no sense of perspective and completely close themselves off to productive discourse with us, making it that much harder to bring about positive change in the world.

This has the side benefit of sapping all meaning from the word in question when it's actually appropriate to use.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Good Citizen posted:

De Blasio just gave a speech at the NYPD academy graduation. The response from the crowd was about what you'd expect. I honestly can't tell if he's just trolling them at this point.

Never stop an opponent from making fools of themselves.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Voyager I posted:

No, I have an even better idea! Instead, let's tar everyone with the same brush so they think we're assholes with no sense of perspective and completely close themselves off to productive discourse with us, making it that much harder to bring about positive change in the world.

This has the side benefit of sapping all meaning from the word in question when it's actually appropriate to use.

De Blasio is stuck now, since the police groups would poo poo all over him if he stopped doing events like this for exactly the same reason they poo poo all over him if he does.

It's a bit like all the poo poo the rightist press used to give Clinton at war memorial events because he draft-dodged. 'How dare he give a speech at the Normandy beaches! He didn't serve!' . Can you imagine the shitstorm from the right if he didn't turn up and give a speech?

You can't make people who axiomatically want to hate you happy.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

My Imaginary GF posted:

Never stop an opponent from making fools of themselves.

The article I read on it was especially funny

quote:

Mayor Bill de Blasio was booed and heckled as he spoke to the city’s newest cops Monday morning.

During a graduation ceremony for the latest class of graduates from the Police Academy, audience members shouted “Traitor!” as Hizzoner took the podium in Madison Square Garden.

“You will confront all manner of problems … problems that you didn’t create,” de Blasio told the crowd.

“You did!” someone yelled back, prompting laughter and applause.
And then the whole graduation turned into a MST3k riff-fest!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Good Citizen posted:

The article I read on it was especially funny

And then the whole graduation turned into a MST3k riff-fest!

Its great campaign material. The crowd doesn't blame De Blasio as a person for creating problems with crime in NYC, they blame him for his perceived racial status and they're too lazy to dogwhistle around it.

E:

So what's De Blasio gunning for? Senator?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kalman posted:

So, everyone.

It's almost like racism is a real problem!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of New York poo poo: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/28/nyregion/cuomo-and-christie-announce-they-will-veto-bill-to-overhaul-port-authority.html

Is this really as big a deal as the article makes it sound? If the legislatures are united and unanimous can't they just override the vetoes when they reconvene?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Jeb Bush cuts ties with company that benefitted from Obamacare

You know, in case there was any doubt he was running

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Amergin posted:

Can this be in the OP of the next thread? :allears:

• Locked thread