Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Back from the vet. He has a mild respiratory infection but other than that he's fine. And he weighs over a pound (526 grams)! He kept boggling and bruxing while we were waiting for his meds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

infestation itt

Moxxi by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Chell by straygiraffe, on Flickr

my girls (both over 2) are starting to lose weight and their fur is thinning out :smith:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
They look bright - eyed and beautiful though :)

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Had to run to the vet yesterday because Faye was making horrible choking noises again. $300 and x-rays later and it turns out she's too dumb and fat for her water bottle.

Merry Christmas.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Patchouli Patrol posted:

Had to run to the vet yesterday because Faye was making horrible choking noises again.

Wait, my rats make clicking noises all the time. I thought that meant they were happy. :ohdear:

They're making them right now :gonk:

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Choking noises, not clicking noises. Clicking noises would be, I imagine, bruxing.

http://www.ratbehavior.org/Glossary.htm#Brux

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah, she was choking on her water. It was really scary. Bruxing is nice. This was not.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
:downs:... I read that like three times. :negative:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Never seen a rat choke on water. She sounds special :)

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Big Bug Hug posted:

Never seen a rat choke on water. She sounds special :)

Yeah. I spent a lot of money to learn that my rat is fat and dumb.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Patchouli Patrol posted:

Yeah. I spent a lot of money to learn that my rat is fat and dumb.

I request photos. Preferably silly ones.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I request photos. Preferably silly ones.

The rat in question, inside and outside:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Patchouli Patrol posted:

The rat in question, inside and outside:

Adorable. I also had a big fatty rat.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I got a new lens :haw:

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Awesome photos!

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Chell and Moxxie look eerily identical to my very very first 2 rats, Abigail and Curly Brace. :kimchi:

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
My rat is not showing much interest in food. What would be best to put some weight on him? Any form of baby food is what I was probably going to pick up later today.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Xeras posted:

My rat is not showing much interest in food. What would be best to put some weight on him? Any form of baby food is what I was probably going to pick up later today.

That is a very clear sign that she is probably sick. Make sure to visit a vet.

You should try some wet and tasty foods meanwhile. Grapes, yoghurt, baby food.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Jack Trades posted:

That is a very clear sign that she is probably sick. Make sure to visit a vet.

You should try some wet and tasty foods meanwhile. Grapes, yoghurt, baby food.

Yeah, was at the vet this morning and got some baytril already :)

Edit: He will eat, just not a healthy amount of food.

Xeras fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 29, 2014

Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.
You may want to try baby food rice cereal which mixes with water. It's not too much money wise and you get quite a bit. Can also try scrambled eggs, yogurt, whipped cream, jarred baby foods or nutrical paste. I end up crushing my rat's regular blocks into smaller chunks/particles to place with any soft food so that he's getting some balanced nutrition trace mineral and vitamin wise. If they are are doxy it's more difficult (no dairy products, interacts with doxy) to pick out a food. There's also critical care type of food mixture that you can find at a vet or sometimes small animal rescues will carry it for sale.

You have to get creative and figure out what your want likes, and how much food intake they are getting and feed them as much as you can. Keep environment warm and stress-free for them.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Porphyrin around one eye, good or bad? he just got over a respiratory infection and isn't sneezing or wheezing and he's eating/drinking normally. Still active; he's perched on my shoulder bruxing as I type.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

dovetaile posted:

Porphyrin around one eye, good or bad? he just got over a respiratory infection and isn't sneezing or wheezing and he's eating/drinking normally. Still active; he's perched on my shoulder bruxing as I type.

Porphyrin isn't generally bad in and of itself. It can be a sign of poor health, and can be a symptom of it. But if it is the only thing you're seeing, ignore it p much. It's not GOOD though, idk where you would get the idea that porphyrin is ever a very good thing. Your sitch sounds very normal.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Invalid Octopus posted:

Porphyrin isn't generally bad in and of itself. It can be a sign of poor health, and can be a symptom of it. But if it is the only thing you're seeing, ignore it p much. It's not GOOD though, idk where you would get the idea that porphyrin is ever a very good thing. Your sitch sounds very normal.

Not good-good but good as in like 'can-wait-a-day-for-the-vet' good or emergency vet right now bad. All right, I'll keep an eye on him then.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
Whats peoples opinion on bringing in wood from the outside and turning it into makeshift decorations/chew toys in a rat cage.

Where i live is heavily wooded so i could easily grab a branch, perhaps strip the bark and make some bars/fit it into the cage somehow. Would there be any risk of health side effects from this?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DerVerrater posted:

Whats peoples opinion on bringing in wood from the outside and turning it into makeshift decorations/chew toys in a rat cage.

Where i live is heavily wooded so i could easily grab a branch, perhaps strip the bark and make some bars/fit it into the cage somehow. Would there be any risk of health side effects from this?

This is completely a guess but I'd imagine you could possibly bring in some type of parasite, flea or mite that could be an issue. I imagine you could freeze then microwave the wood bits or put them at 200F in the oven for a while or something to help limit that possibility.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Yeah judt bake the wood. People do that for parrot cages.
Make sure its a chewable wood, too, nothing toxic (not sure what would be toxic to rats anyway).

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
You want to make sure to use hard woods. No pine, cedar, or anything that gives off strong smells as that would be irritating to their respiratory systems. People like using apple wood if you happen to live near an orchard. And I think either a baking or through freezing should do the trick as far as parasites go.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

dovetaile posted:

Not good-good but good as in like 'can-wait-a-day-for-the-vet' good or emergency vet right now bad. All right, I'll keep an eye on him then.

Sorry this is from two days ago, but no, I wouldn't bring a rat into a vet for porphyrin alone.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Invalid Octopus posted:

Sorry this is from two days ago, but no, I wouldn't bring a rat into a vet for porphyrin alone.

Thanks for the response; he's doing much better now! *knocks on wood*

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I need some advice here, I'm really worried about my ratties.

A couple of weeks ago they started sneezing every now and then, like a few times a day they'd sneeze quite loudly. It seems like something is wrong but I can't figure out why.
They eat and drink normally. None of them is lethargic. I try keeping the cages extra clean. It's quite cold here where I am but I have all the windows close here all the time and the cage is high above the floor so there are no drafts here and the heat is as high as it goes (it's still quite chilly here though).
What might be the issue here? It's not normal is it? Are there any other symptoms I should look out for that might tell me what's the issue?

I know the default answer is "check with a vet" but I can't really do that. There are absolutely no vets here that have any experience with rats, even in the next big town over and the most I can expect from the is to figure out what's wrong myself and ask them to write me out meds if it's necessary.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 12, 2015

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Asking advice for my friend here: Are there any tips or tricks for introducing rats to one another? Greg and Mereen are curious about each other and one will go to the other's cage and sniff around when they're out and about, but when she tries to introduce them they fight and Greg ends up bleeding. She tried covering them with apple sauce and throwing them in the tub, but once again, blood. Is there anything she can do that won't likely end in Greg getting eaten by his fat rear end potato step brother?

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
Rats sneeze occasionally, and as long as it's not accompanied by weight loss, lethargy, or porphyrin staining, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Have you introduced new bedding? That would be my first guess.

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Asking advice for my friend here: Are there any tips or tricks for introducing rats to one another? Greg and Mereen are curious about each other and one will go to the other's cage and sniff around when they're out and about, but when she tries to introduce them they fight and Greg ends up bleeding. She tried covering them with apple sauce and throwing them in the tub, but once again, blood. Is there anything she can do that won't likely end in Greg getting eaten by his fat rear end potato step brother?
Vanilla extract. I dab it on their heads and butts to overwhelm their sense of smell and then try to reintroduce them again. Some people have had good luck putting pudding on them for the same reason. You might have to keep swapping them around in their cages for weeks. I had a few rats that wouldn't get along for a month before one day deciding everything was fine. Try to be patient and limit the sessions to make sure both rats leave with a positive experience. Maybe try during a time when they are both sleepy and can't be bothered to put up a fuss. Good luck!

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I've also had rats that refused to get along. I housed them in separate cages for a while(a few weeks I think) and they seemed to get used to each others' smells enough that they lost interest in fighting. YMMV.

I've also had two rats who inexplicably hated each other - even though they got along with everyone else. They were lifelong nemeses. I don't think that happens often though.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Update: apparently they like each other, but Greg gets freaked out and Mereen takes this as some kind of cue to attack. Rats are assholes, man.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
One of my rat's lower lip seem to droop. He hasn't had any trouble eating (aside from having trouble not eating) and I only seem to notice it when he's resting. Is that just a thing rats do? His brother doesn't seem to do it so that's why I'm a little concerned.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

One of my rat's lower lip seem to droop. He hasn't had any trouble eating (aside from having trouble not eating) and I only seem to notice it when he's resting. Is that just a thing rats do? His brother doesn't seem to do it so that's why I'm a little concerned.

Sounds like he's relaxing hardcore :)
I wouldn't worry. Some of my rats leave their mouths hanging open when they sleep. One never seems to close his eyes even though I know he sleeps. Rats are weird.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

One of my rats absolutely loves sleeping on his head, at the edge of the top floor of their cage. I swear to god, he looks like he's gonna fall over eventually.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Ratigan loves to tuck his head under himself. It's so cute to see him sleeping like that. :3:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I'm not a regular in PI but I'm really distraught. I just heard a commotion in my cage and got out of bed to check to find one of my rats in the bottom of the cage stumbling a bit, when I took him out his heartbeat was really slow and he had a nosebleed. It only took a minute but I felt his heart and breathing stop, I tried to clear his nose and give him CPR but nothing helped, I'm just sitting here holding him and wondering what the gently caress just happened and if I should be worried about his cage mates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I don't think it'd be infectious. Wildly guessing I'd say maybe he had a brain aneurysm? I'm sorry for your loss :smith: