Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

prom candy posted:

Cool, thanks guys. Now to find out if "beginner" means what I think it means.

It doesn't. Don't stress it. Play hard. Have fun.

Newbie to newbie advice: you're gonna end up as a winger, so when you're playing defence, just stay in front of your man. Don't let them pass to him, and when the puck is coming up the boards at you, try to get to it first and move it past him up the boards.

(I'm totally not bitter my top seeded (beginner level) team fell apart in the final game against the worst team because the wings couldn't play D...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
We just had this problem at a skate the other day. No one has "light" jerseys. Grey is not light and that random bright color jersey you have doesn't count either. It's okay thought, I just always make sure to play on dark so I can blame bad passes/mistakes on their "confusing" jerseys.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Nitramster posted:

It doesn't. Don't stress it. Play hard. Have fun.

Newbie to newbie advice: you're gonna end up as a winger, so when you're playing defence, just stay in front of your man. Don't let them pass to him, and when the puck is coming up the boards at you, try to get to it first and move it past him up the boards.

(I'm totally not bitter my top seeded (beginner level) team fell apart in the final game against the worst team because the wings couldn't play D...)

I suck at this so bad. Lately I'm better at actually getting my hands on the puck, but actually getting it out of the zone under some sort of control is awful. Especially when the opposing center seems to show up either on top of me or right behind the opposing D where a puck bounced up the boards would go.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

The most important thing to know about drop in hockey is that no one plays defense. Even the goalie might be constantly looking to stickhandle the puck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Random light color jersey totally counts as white btw come at me

Also grey jerseys are for assholes, esp at dropin

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

sellouts posted:

Random light color jersey totally counts as white btw come at me

Also grey jerseys are for assholes, esp at dropin
So you're the guy wearing orange getting ALL THE PASSES

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I suck at this so bad. Lately I'm better at actually getting my hands on the puck, but actually getting it out of the zone under some sort of control is awful. Especially when the opposing center seems to show up either on top of me or right behind the opposing D where a puck bounced up the boards would go.

If the bad-guy center is behind his d-man, that means he's not down low. Hard ring around the boards to the other side to pass the buck to the other winger and/or d-men.

Alternately, you're never wrong to blindly throw the puck toward the high slot, where your center will be waiting, without fail, to help begin the breakout.

:v:

Serious answer: playing defense as a wing is about making sure that if the bad-guy d-man on your side gets the puck, he can't get a good shot and has to dump the puck down along the boards, where hopefully your own guys can get at it. If your d-man is battling along your side boards, you can move down a little to help him out, but be prepared to haul rear end back to the point in case you don't win possession and the puck heads toward the d-man you're covering.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 29, 2014

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Loqieu posted:

The most important thing to know about drop in hockey is that no one plays defense. Even the goalie might be constantly looking to stickhandle the puck.

Jesus, I hate this so much. I try to play D as much as possible. Mainly because I enjoy playing D and that's what I'm comfortable with.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Won my C-Major game 5-2 this weekend, got one on a rebound tap in. I missed 3 chances on an open net on pucks slightly in front of my stick. I might need to start wearing my contacts again when I play.

So, I need a census opinion on a problem I had during my game. I drive to the center of the net a lot, and I was getting stick checked in my ribs/spine over and over by an opposing player. Refs didn't call anything. Normally, I would just give it back to the guy, but in this case he was probably 60+ years old. Additionally, he wasn't wearing any pads. How should I handle this situation?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Edit:^ nothing, old fuckers do that poo poo all the time cause they can't keep up apparently. Or just try to make it look like a mistake, gently caress it idk.

It's tough to fight for possession on your off hand too. So if you're playing left wing with a right handed stick you're going to have a hard time back handing it above your opponents blade to clear it up the boards.

gently caress I hope I said that correctly. I even mimed the action and people are looking at me weird at work.

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 29, 2014

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Nitramster posted:

Edit:^ nothing, old fuckers do that poo poo all the time cause they can't keep up apparently. Or just try to make it look like a mistake, gently caress it idk.

It's tough to fight for possession on your off hand too. So if you're playing left wing with a right handed stick you're going to have a hard time back handing it above your opponents blade to clear it up the boards.

gently caress I hope I said that correctly. I even mimed the action and people are looking at me weird at work.

Yeah, I usually play right wing with a left-handed stick. It took me a while to figure out how to stop the puck coming up along the boards w/out being able to easily just angle my feet to send it to my stick like I would on the left.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Those knock-off sticks from HockeyTron have been running an even bigger discount this past week. Enter CYBERWEEK and their new sticks are only $104.99. Makes me feel like a sucker settling for only 30% off during the Christmas sale!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Loqieu posted:

Those knock-off sticks from HockeyTron have been running an even bigger discount this past week. Enter CYBERWEEK and their new sticks are only $104.99. Makes me feel like a sucker settling for only 30% off during the Christmas sale!

http://www.hockeytron.com/Tron-X-Pro-Comp-Hockey-Helmet.html?sc=47&category=116940

lol what the gently caress is this

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

The perfect compliment to a smoked visor. I'll take 8.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Acethomas posted:

The perfect compliment to a smoked visor. I'll take 8.

smoke visor? Are you even trying, son?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKoSyLSB9i8

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It looks like something you unlock after 150 drop-in games.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This owns hard.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

quote:

Sleek ventilated design for maximum comfort and a compact mirror tested look.

See they checked it out in a compact mirror so it's legit. The color scheme has more surface area to cool your head and prevent hot brain.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Speaking of Tron, does their visors fit other types of helmets?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I have a couple from them and they both fit my Easton.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah with some work I put it on my Bauer and whatever helmet Hockles has.

Much easier to attach than a Bauer visor to an Easton helmet.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Benson Cunningham posted:

Won my C-Major game 5-2 this weekend, got one on a rebound tap in. I missed 3 chances on an open net on pucks slightly in front of my stick. I might need to start wearing my contacts again when I play.

So, I need a census opinion on a problem I had during my game. I drive to the center of the net a lot, and I was getting stick checked in my ribs/spine over and over by an opposing player. Refs didn't call anything. Normally, I would just give it back to the guy, but in this case he was probably 60+ years old. Additionally, he wasn't wearing any pads. How should I handle this situation?

i'd warn him once then give it back to him if he keeps it up

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

Yeah with some work I put it on my Bauer and whatever helmet Hockles has.

Much easier to attach than a Bauer visor to an Easton helmet.

Bauer 5000? It was a pain in the rear end to attach, though. I probably lost some pieces since then, so it's probably not getting attached any time soon.

Also, I wear a cage because I love my teeth. And concussions.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

I was getting stick checked in my ribs/spine over and over by an opposing player. Refs didn't call anything. Normally, I would just give it back to the guy, but in this case he was probably 60+ years old. Additionally, he wasn't wearing any pads. How should I handle this situation?
Honestly, I'd just chirp my head off at him. Lean heavily on the "no talent, can't play with me without getting dirty" chapter of the book. I don't know if it's constructive or not, but it's the scrum-in-front-of-the-net way. :shrug:

The real way to handle it is to have another member of your team (captain, if you have one) talk to the refs on your behalf.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

PFlats posted:

Honestly, I'd just chirp my head off at him. Lean heavily on the "no talent, can't play with me without getting dirty" chapter of the book. I don't know if it's constructive or not, but it's the scrum-in-front-of-the-net way. :shrug:

The real way to handle it is to have another member of your team (captain, if you have one) talk to the refs on your behalf.

The refs said they love watching him check people all game, no joke. loving hate beer league refs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah Hockles I use HZ's s19 for my mirrored visor because gently caress reattaching those things. It's my pickup helmet.

PFlats posted:

I would die laughing if you tee'd up that opportunity to chirp back.

You don't have to be captain to have a relationship with the refs. It's beer league and you shouldn't have captains anyways but just be a normal human being with an extra pinch of humility and that will make you the captain in the officials eyes whenever they need something.

Taking them 2 beers win or lose also helps. Especially if they're in the middle of their run of games.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Posting twice, got caught up in the reflection from my mirrored visor welp back to dangle some more

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I would dive like the loving Red October.

Also, there are ways to put a guy off balance that are seriously hilarious and fun all at the same time - like pantsing them with your stick, or nudging their feet. They don't fall, but they flail. It's enjoyable.

You really can't do anything to stop the checking, so have fun with it.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

Loqieu posted:

Lies. I'll play defense. Mostly because I can strip the puck, but can't do any of those fancy shots the kids home from juniors like to do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I play defense in drop-in because it means I don't have to skate as much which means I can actually regain my breath because there's only two dudes on the bench.

Then once I get my legs back, gently caress defense.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

lizardking posted:

Lies. I'll play defense. Mostly because I can strip the puck, but can't do any of those fancy shots the kids home from juniors like to do.

I can do some of that fancy stuff, but I still play D at pickups (I'm also a defenseman) because it's just as satisfying to strip the puck off those home-from-juniors hotshots when they think they're the first person in the universe to try that Mighty Duck triple deke pull it between the legs or whatever poo poo on someone.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Generally in pickup I'm playing "Christ, what did that guy coming off say?"

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Generally in pickup I'm playing "Christ, what did that guy coming off say?"

"Left wing" are you loving kidding me this isn't the NHL?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I once sat through a position rotation in a pickup in which five people all came off the ice, one after the other, each claiming they'd been playing "left wing." I'm pretty sure the Five Left Wing system is going to be real big someday.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The every 2 min buzzer is the only way to play drop in I think

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Loqieu posted:

if you go to lovely drop-ins yeah. which is most, but still.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

You're all doing drop-in hockey wrong. The entire purpose is to show off your sweet dangles and killer goals.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a gigantic assumption to suggest I have any sweet dangles or killer goals.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Even the occasional lady that drops by to play a drop-in game has sweet dangle :heysexy:

Early day at work means I got to play open hockey for the first time in a while. Definitely a different crowd in the daytime than in the evening matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Went to my first drop-in game today. I have confirmed my suspicions that I am very bad at hockey. It was rookie shinny so I don't think anyone minded too much but I was definitely the worst one out there. I tried to skate hard as much as possible and just do what I could but since I have a hard time stopping or quickly changing directions I had to put the brakes on a lot just to avoid running into other players or the boards. Lots of fun though and the couple good passes I made or the times I broke up a play make up for the times I coughed up the puck or fell over in my mind.

I think people must have a pretty broad definition of rookie too, a couple of the guys there were awesome players.