Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Got this game in the sale, its pretty cool. I just moseyed over to The Savage Coast from Kingsmouth, and im finding it to be a huge jump in difficulty. I though I had exhausted Kingsmouth but are there any good things left to do over there after the story has me moving to the miskatonic institute or whatever its called? Kingsmouth has gotten a bit too easy and basically everything except zombies kills me in The Savage Coast unless its 1 on 1. I didn't do the dungeon in Kingsmouth, does this game have the easy group finding for instances like SWtOR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

HORMELCHILI posted:

Got this game in the sale, its pretty cool. I just moseyed over to The Savage Coast from Kingsmouth, and im finding it to be a huge jump in difficulty. I though I had exhausted Kingsmouth but are there any good things left to do over there after the story has me moving to the miskatonic institute or whatever its called? Kingsmouth has gotten a bit too easy and basically everything except zombies kills me in The Savage Coast unless its 1 on 1. I didn't do the dungeon in Kingsmouth, does this game have the easy group finding for instances like SWtOR?

Do the quests in the center of town in Savage Coast first. They are much easier than the outlying areas.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

HORMELCHILI posted:

1. You can repeat the Kingsmouth missions as much as necessary to get the SP and AP for skills. You can get enough SP for level 6 weapons, then buy some blue weapons in the Savage Coast from the Venetian vendor by Red's (upper left of the map). You may also be able to find some decent blues in the auction house.

2. Try to have some passive healing abilities like Circulation and Lick the Wounds(?) in your build.

3. AOE attacks help when you are outnumbered. AOE attacks are worse against 1 target than single attacks (obviously), about the same against 2 targets, and superior when fighting 3 or more. If you haven't noticed already, you will run into a lot of mob groups. My normal build is mostly AOE with some single target consumers to finish stuff off.

4. Learn to stay out of enemy AOEs. Even if you can tank the damage it's good practice for later on to try to avoid everything.

5. Stay away from Akababasbaaabaabaas (bugs). They are the winged things in the forest that do the charge. They were the most frustrating thing for me when I started in the Savage Coast.

6. They do have a group finder, but I don't think it is used very much. You don't need to do the dungeons, but if you want to do them I did it by asking in General and Looking for Group channels.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 26, 2014

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Played this during beta and release, but stopped somewhere in Egypt when my last computer died and never bothered coming back. Downloading it again now so I can pretend to be a bee piloting a human-mecha, is there anything a returning player should know? I bought the Grandmaster pack back in the day, and have ~11k funbux according to the account screen; I know I can use them for the new issues and clothes, anything else that's new in the store I should really have? I think back then I had to use some autohotkey workaround for the wonky camera controls, is that still needed? And lastly, I had a razer 10-button MMO mouse then which has bitten the dust, can I get by with a regular mouse now (logitech g400 - it has two side buttons)? I remember it being a pain to move around in combat and having to use the keyboard number keys for triggering attacks...

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

HORMELCHILI posted:

It doesn't really, no. Ask in /General for the zone the dungeon is in.

And yes, dungeons are a good way to gear up for the next area -- they'll give you top-flight blues for the region. Note that blue items, in addition to the higher stat budget, put all those stats into the primary resources (like damage and crit) and none into HP, so if you wear all blues you'll be squishier than you're used to. People often wear a green or two when questing, even though it's "worse," so they can have 3k or so HP.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can also use a blue tank item in eg. a major slot if you need HP. A lot of dungeon blues mix tank and DPS ratings on top of health so these work too. Apply dungeon etiquette if you're so inclined, but generally at least greed tank and healer drops, it can be helpful having sets for all three roles if you want to run dungeons a lot.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is the new Christmas event better than the Halloween event?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

Is the new Christmas event better than the Halloween event?

I like the new Christmas quest very much -- it's a nifty puzzle mission. And there's more going on with the world bosses, and there are two dungeon instances, so there's definitely more than there was for Halloween. The clothing drops were better at Halloween, but that's pretty much a given.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

prefect posted:

I like the new Christmas quest very much -- it's a nifty puzzle mission. And there's more going on with the world bosses, and there are two dungeon instances, so there's definitely more than there was for Halloween. The clothing drops were better at Halloween, but that's pretty much a given.

The puzzle mission is motherfucking Loom and it's goddamn awesome.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is it a competently written puzzle or is it the Funcom text adventure again?

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Len posted:

Is it a competently written puzzle or is it the Funcom text adventure again?

You get a magic flute that you have to play notes on to advance through a fairly long dungeon. You get one tune to begin, and you have to figure out the "spells" from that point on in a logical progression. It's The Secret Loom.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Frankenstein Dad posted:

The address changed!

Address:

Port:

That said, I've only noticed 3 or 4 particular people using it with any regularity for the last couple of months.

I'm getting a connection refused error :(

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

I think the site has expired again, no mo mumbles.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
How long is the event on till?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Killsion posted:

I think it ends Friday? I haven't signed in to do it yet so I may be wrong.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Killsion posted:

January 5th.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
I have been wanting to check this out, and with it on sale it is pretty tempting but I have no idea on how the game feels to play. If someone could PM me a trail code it would be appreciated.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Teaches of Peaches posted:

I have been wanting to check this out, and with it on sale it is pretty tempting but I have no idea on how the game feels to play. If someone could PM me a trail code it would be appreciated.

4WSCG2KNSQ5XQZPU it is a super code that gives 30 days

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Len posted:

Yeah, anyone can add more days, though. I tested this by doing it without being logged in, hence the last listed person to add days being "Anonymous".

Just go to: http://everythingisgoon.enjin.com/inactive and click the Add Days button.

I'm not calling you out to do it specifically, Plat. Just taking the opportunity to mention that ANYONE can. :)

[edit]

VVVVVVVVV

That's very kind of you!

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 29, 2014

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

I added days because I wanted to try the game out and would rather play with the few goons who are still around then begin from total scratch.

I looked through all the abilities and some videos and the game seems like something I could sink some time into and have some fun. I do have a few newbie questions though, can you group with people from other factions, or is this one of those that divides based on initial faction choice?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Secret Spoon posted:

I added days because I wanted to try the game out and would rather play with the few goons who are still around then begin from total scratch.

I looked through all the abilities and some videos and the game seems like something I could sink some time into and have some fun. I do have a few newbie questions though, can you group with people from other factions, or is this one of those that divides based on initial faction choice?

Group with whoever you want! Only time you can't team up with them is on PvP maps.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

thank god for unfair.co
otherwise my tone-deaf ears would never be able to workout the musical prompts every 3rd investigative mission seems to have.
still get annoyed by the kill-yourself to unlock progress that some missions have, because the spirit world is really easy to not give a gently caress about.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Pesterchum posted:

Group with whoever you want! Only time you can't team up with them is on PvP maps.

That's good news for sure! Although it does make my choice harder now.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Secret Spoon posted:

That's good news for sure! Although it does make my choice harder now.

Illuminati has the best after-mission cell phone text.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Illuminati have the best handler, Templars have the best costumes you'll never wear and Dragons are... yeah.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Morglon posted:

Illuminati have the best handler, Templars have the best costumes you'll never wear and Dragons are... yeah.

Templar have access to one of the best missions in the game (Virgula Divina) so it's not really much of a choice. :colbert:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

tuluk posted:

thank god for unfair.co
otherwise my tone-deaf ears would never be able to workout the musical prompts every 3rd investigative mission seems to have.
still get annoyed by the kill-yourself to unlock progress that some missions have, because the spirit world is really easy to not give a gently caress about.

God, yes. It's worse if you're tone-deaf and can't read music. fortunately, for the Christmas Conspiracy you don't have to actually read music: You get six notes, they're color-coded, and the only time you need to play off a staff you need all six of the notes.

Also, for an interesting thing, kill yourself in London ("/reset" chat command, often more useful than finding something to punch you, yes you can use it to fast travel) and go check out the Templar HQ.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Morglon posted:

Dragon post-mission texts often seem to have the best insight into what's really going on, although sometimes it can be unclear if they have any genuine insight or if it's just a bunch of cryptic claptrap.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Rincewind posted:

Dragon post-mission texts often seem to have the best insight into what's really going on, although sometimes it can be unclear if they have any genuine insight or if it's just a bunch of cryptic claptrap.

It's like 90% cryptic claptrap but the 10% that isn't is absolutely the best. Overall, I preferred Illuminati because the good stuff appeared more consistently.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kegslayer posted:

Templar have access to one of the best missions in the game (Virgula Divina) so it's not really much of a choice. :colbert:

I just looked this up, and I still prefer being Illuminati, but I am feeling some envy. :doom:

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

prefect posted:

I just looked this up, and I still prefer being Illuminati, but I am feeling some envy. :doom:

TEMPLAR SUPREMACY.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Drinkfist posted:

TEMPLAR SUPREMACY.
For the twelve minutes a year any of us are online at least. :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Drinkfist posted:

TEMPLAR SUPREMACY.

I changed servers to avoid the Templar lockdown on Fusang, and now they're establishing their filthy grasp on El Dorado. :smith:

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

For the twelve minutes a year any of us are online at least. :v:

What are you talking about? We are always online. We are just more secret than the other two. Templars you could say are MEGASECRETSOCIETY.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Drinkfist posted:

What are you talking about? We are always online. We are just more secret than the other two. Templars you could say are MEGASECRETSOCIETY.
Yeah but I was trying to keep that a secret.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Back to grinding because I'm literally too dumb to level my item skills properly haha. Games a blast! Kung fu shotgun guy is a rad way to go.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Yeah, I was dumping all my AP into trying to complete all the inner wheel stuff first yet only putting SP into two weapons (plus talismans) and now my deck just isn't strong enough for Blue Mountain. So, I'm (unsuccessfully) trying to avoid dumping the points I'm now grinding out into my final inner wheel weapon in favor of going for outer wheel abilities that will actually be useful.

I don't really have any measure of how combat stats scale yet and the wiki isn't much help. How significant is the +150 evade rating I could get from Escalation + Turbulence? If it's enough to get an evade every 8 seconds or less, it will keep Probability's defensive proc going, for 25% mitigation on anything I can't dodge.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Hello Sailor posted:

Yeah, I was dumping all my AP into trying to complete all the inner wheel stuff first yet only putting SP into two weapons (plus talismans) and now my deck just isn't strong enough for Blue Mountain. So, I'm (unsuccessfully) trying to avoid dumping the points I'm now grinding out into my final inner wheel weapon in favor of going for outer wheel abilities that will actually be useful.

I don't really have any measure of how combat stats scale yet and the wiki isn't much help. How significant is the +150 evade rating I could get from Escalation + Turbulence? If it's enough to get an evade every 8 seconds or less, it will keep Probability's defensive proc going, for 25% mitigation on anything I can't dodge.

Turbulence (and evade) aren't really worth it.

Here's a beginner Chaos framework. Just drop your consumer and other actives from your secondary weapon into it.

http://www.badomens.net/calculator#01.09.09.09.09.09004.094.09.09001ms.051.044.09.09.08/b5az00b70000b300b2b0b6c380cq6m00

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Turbulence (and evade) aren't really worth it.

Here's a beginner Chaos framework. Just drop your consumer and other actives from your secondary weapon into it.

http://www.badomens.net/calculator#01.09.09.09.09.09004.094.09.09001ms.051.044.09.09.08/b5az00b70000b300b2b0b6c380cq6m00

I would still take probability with that build instead of CCandCollected, with all the hit stacking you should be able to keep the damage buff alive and if you need to use Illusion then the +25% damage mitigation might be useful.

Hello Sailor posted:

My opinion on sub stats when you are in sub QL10 gear is to not focus on them. You need about 650 for the stat to be useful and consistent. And if you do want a stat to look out for, then Hit Rate is the most useful. Hit helps reduce glancing hits which can be caused by mobs being a higher level and your weapon skill being too low (need QL10 to remove native glancing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah Evade is a weird stat in that Funcom didn't put it in the combat log until sometime in I think the last six months. It also was broken for awhile.

Those two things have people wary about using it although in my anecdotal experience it's just as useful as defense and hits diminishing returns way sooner. But I was never good at the number crunching and mostly just found something that worked and stuck with it.

You can safely ignore physical/magical defense though because those are worthless.

• Locked thread