Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
That's why I picked waterbender because It was the one that gave me the best shot at just being Wolverine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Spatula City posted:

if you think about it, all four bending powers could instakill in grotesque ways. Depending on how earthbending works, a really, really, really powerful earthbender could bend the trace metal in someone's body to cause massive internal bleeding. obviously waterbending leads to bloodbending, but what about urine? or saliva?
And of course with airbending, you could remove all the air from a certain area, not just in the way Zaheer does to the Earth Queen, but by making an entire room a vacuum. VOIDBENDING.
and then of course since firebending leads to lightningbending, one could use that to cause a heart attack.
and if anyone had ever been directly hit with a burst of energy from a combustion bender on the show, they'd be very, very dead. I mean, we saw what happened to P'Li when her blast was redirected at her (holy poo poo that was brutal, how did Nickelodeon allow that?).

These are actually ALL abilities in the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure manga

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Realistic bloodbending is both the most overpowered and least interesting bending power, because all you have to do is give whoever you're fighting a brain aneurysm and you're done.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Or you could be a little impractical but way more awesome and brutal by, like, literally bloodbending someone's organs out of their body through their orifices or something, like a Finisher in Mortal Kombat.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Spatula City posted:

and if anyone had ever been directly hit with a burst of energy from a combustion bender on the show, they'd be very, very dead. I mean, we saw what happened to P'Li when her blast was redirected at her (holy poo poo that was brutal, how did Nickelodeon allow that?).

I bet Spongebob did it

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I know that after the LoK finale I'm seeing the relationship between Sponge Bob and Patrick in a whole new light.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What was with the whole "only 1 in 100 earthbenders can metalbend" thing from season 3? They redact that in season 4 with Toph claiming it's the result of bad teachers, but what was with that?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I bet if the Avatar ever learned lavabending they could melt the whole goddamn planet in the Avatar State

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Covok posted:

What was with the whole "only 1 in 100 earthbenders can metalbend" thing from season 3? They redact that in season 4 with Toph claiming it's the result of bad teachers, but what was with that?

Presumably to give a reason why they could still keep Earthbenders in jail.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

computer parts posted:

Presumably to give a reason why they could still keep Earthbenders in jail.

Make suspended jail cells out of wood for earthbenders and metal for firebender cells? In ATLA, didn't they keep Toph in a wooden cage...somehow (shouldn't she be able to Earthbend from the ground regardless?)

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Covok posted:

Didn't Su kind of imply that was a common misconception even in season 3 and that more of them than that could do it if they just had the right mindset, or something?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Metalbending isn't a special power like combustion stuff or Amon's bullshit. It's just too difficult to learn for a lot of people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

Everyone theoretically being able to do it doesn't mean everyone can actually do it. Everyone can theoretically learn to draw or theoretically learn to program or whatever but that doesn't mean they'll actually learn to do it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

Didn't Su kind of imply that was a common misconception even in season 3 and that more of them than that could do it if they just had the right mindset, or something?

She might have. It's been a while. If so, then nevermind. It's my mistake.

ImpAtom posted:

Everyone theoretically being able to do it doesn't mean everyone can actually do it. Everyone can theoretically learn to draw or theoretically learn to program or whatever but that doesn't mean they'll actually learn to do it.

Fair point.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Sharmat posted:

Katara should have taught Korra how to bloodbend. She knew blood benders were a thing and, short of the Avatar state, the only countermeasure for bloodbending is bloodbending.
Korra in her s1 mindset knowing bloodbending would not be a good idea for anybody. :v:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I always laugh at Su trying to take credit for Bolin learning lavabending. "I always knew you had something special in you!" Lady, you goddamn told him he could metalbend in very clear, specific terms, and it turns out he really truly can't, so don't try to twist this around to being your own victory.

Suyin is such a great example of an incredibly well-developed character that is flawed to the core.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Suyin is basically the seed for all the things that are hosed up in Season 3. I mean, Red Lotus was probably around before her, but the whole anti-nationalist routine of Zaofu probably enabled some of the anarchism swell that gave the Red Lotuses so many connections and support. And then she helped train Hitler.

So, yeah, Suyin rules.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

quote:

Suyin is such a great example of an incredibly well-developed character that is flawed to the core.

All I know is that bad parenting must be embedded loving deep into the Bei Fong genes. Lin really dodged a bullet there by being too unlovable to impregnate.

Sorry Bolin! Your kids have about a 1 in 3 chance of being the next Hitler.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

All I know is that bad parenting must be embedded loving deep into the Bei Fong genes. Lin really dodged a bullet there by being too unlovable to impregnate.

Bolin is not a Bei Fong, much to his own disappointment, so he's probably safe from inheriting the bad parent and Hitler gene.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Covok posted:

Bolin is not a Bei Fong, much to his own disappointment, so he's probably safe from inheriting the bad parent and Hitler gene.

Opal is though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Opal is though.

Given that she too was a villain I would say the odds are greater than 1/3

Covok
May 27, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Given that she too was a villain I would say the odds are greater than 1/3

When was Opal a villain? I don't remember her being on the side of bad at any time. She got a little aggressive when they held her family hostage, but that's just being human.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Covok posted:

When was Opal a villain? I don't remember her being on the side of bad at any time.

She was deep cover Red Lotus

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Didn't Tenzin break up with Lin specifically because she didn't want kids? Or is that just something people on the internet say?

Either way, she probably didn't want kids because she figured she'd be a lovely mother like Toph.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Probably Magic posted:

Suyin is basically the seed for all the things that are hosed up in Season 3. I mean, Red Lotus was probably around before her, but the whole anti-nationalist routine of Zaofu probably enabled some of the anarchism swell that gave the Red Lotuses so many connections and support. And then she helped train Hitler.

So, yeah, Suyin rules.

Actually, Suyin is the secret power behind the throne, and all the events of seasons 3 - 4 are just preparations leading up to cementing her rule. The reason she had so many kids was to produce a Bei Fong dynasty that would be able to assume control of the nation. :tinfoil:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Really, all of the original Team Avatar were lovely parents with the possible exception of Katara. Aang ignored 2/3 of his kids, Toph was a workaholic, and Sokka didn't even raise his kid *coughsuyincough*. If you include Zuko, I'm not sure what to make of Izumi, but she seems like kind of a hardass.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
Don't forget that the Bei Fong lovely parenting goes back at least one more generation. Toph's parents refused to acknowledge her abilities and then sent mercenaries to capture her.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

King of Foolians posted:

Don't forget that the Bei Fong lovely parenting goes back at least one more generation. Toph's parents refused to acknowledge her abilities and then sent mercenaries to capture her.

In the comics, her dad did apologize and admit that she's the greatest Earthbender of all time, at least, though. :unsmith:

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

AlternateNu posted:

Really, all of the original Team Avatar were lovely parents with the possible exception of Katara. Aang ignored 2/3 of his kids, Toph was a workaholic, and Sokka didn't even raise his kid *coughsuyincough*. If you include Zuko, I'm not sure what to make of Izumi, but she seems like kind of a hardass.

The idea that Zuko's kid is the only one who isn't emotionally damaged amuses me for some reason.

Suyin is so frustrating though because season 4 could've totally been avoided if she wasn't 1)So insistent on doing nothing about the roaming packs of bandits in the earth kingdom and 2)Like way nicer to Kuvira. I mean holy poo poo lady you raise this kid from when she's 8, her parents dump her off on you and you show zero affection because she's not blood related, the hell lady?

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 29, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
SO I just watched this entire thing in the span of 6 days and apparently I care very deeply about the relationship between Korra and Asami in a kid's TV show.

Seriously though the fact that this sort of thing can happen at all in children's media is a big step forward. Even if the network pussied out at the end, it's really nice to see people like me represented, especially in the stuff kids watch. Also they're totally cute together and that makes me happy.

Also also totally was siding with Kuvira for like 60% of season 4 there.

E: Also spirits are weird and unnerving, even the nice ones. I just know they're going to take good old human jobs the second they can!

Legit though they're creepy as gently caress.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 29, 2014

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Kuvira wasn't exactly wrong. But I suppose you could almost say that about the antagonists from each season.

I also thought maneuvering the cannon to fire directly in Korra's face was pretty loving badass, though. I mean, if Korra were to die, that'd probably be the best way for her to go out. If the series ended like that and Kuvira straight up realising what she's done and giving up, resolving things like that, it would have been a great ending too.

Sekkira fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 29, 2014

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The Sharmat posted:

Didn't Tenzin break up with Lin specifically because she didn't want kids? Or is that just something people on the internet say?

Either way, she probably didn't want kids because she figured she'd be a lovely mother like Toph.

I don't know if it's been confirmed but you can probably fanfiction out an answer involving 1: her own problems with her mother, 2: Tenzin's best chances of having airbending kids would be with a non-bender, specifically an air acolyte.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I really really wanted that scene to have someone tell Izumi that THIS preemptive strike is totally different from THAT preemptive strike. Also have Tenzin awkwardly tell her that he forgives the Fire Nation.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Sekkira posted:

Kuvira wasn't exactly wrong. But I suppose you could almost say that about the antagonists from each season.
It's hard to say that about the other antagonists. Kuvira was right at the beginning, and then went to more and more extreme lengths to do what she saw as her duty, and that lead to the dictator she eventually became. Had she had friends and subordinates ready to criticize her methods and maybe offer alternatives, maybe that she would never had gone so deep.

Amon's plan, which was to rid the world of bending, was evil in its very nature. Unalaq, with his plan of covering the world into darkness and becoming its Dark God, was even worse. Zaheer's plan was naive and really short-sighted, even if he was right about the Earth Queen not having a right to give and take away freedom as she wished.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Say what you will about her, but Kuvira made the trains run on time.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I was going more on Amon's plan was equalist, his method being to rid the world of bending. And the avatar.

Unalaq was balance, his method was to become the ratavA. And kill the avatar.

Zaheer was to remove the corrupt establishment, his method was anarchy. Also kill the avatar.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That reminds me. One of the most hilarious loose ends of the entire series was when Korra asks Zuko about what Aang would do in her situation, then blithely comments on how Iroh was right.
:corsair: Wait. You spoke with my uncle?
:v: Yeah. In the Spirit World. A couple times actually.

And Zuko just has this dumbfounded look on his face before they get interrupted to go to the comms room. And it is never brought up again.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 29, 2014

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Hitler did nothing wrong.

I went there.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I bet Kuvira didn't even build autobahn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Pretty sure we actually saw it was Asami who made the trains run on time? It was brought up at the start of Season 4!

• Locked thread