Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Poil posted:

Names shouldn't count, that's just dumb. :colbert:

That's why they offer alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Indonesia is very unsurprising for the Netherlands. Its history as a colony of the Netherlands put quite an influence on the latter, mostly in food.

Also, what kind of plant in Lithuania? Potato?
Ignalina and Visaginas Nuclear Power Plants actually, nuclear power plants in general.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

quote:

Électricité de France (EDF) — the country's main electricity generation and distribution company – manages the country's 59 nuclear reactors. EDF is substantially owned by the French Government, with around 85% shares in government hands

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

PittTheElder posted:

Prussia: still a big deal in Austria.

Old grudges die hard.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What the hell is an "Austrian" wikipedia, there's only one Deutsch Wiki, and I'm pretty sure Germans are allowed to edit pages on Austrian subjects.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

steinrokkan posted:

What the hell is an "Austrian" wikipedia, there's only one Deutsch Wiki, and I'm pretty sure Germans are allowed to edit pages on Austrian subjects.

I think it's English page about the nation.

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

The Chooz nuclear reactors are such a brilliant and assholish way to deal with NIMBY from French voters. Just let the Belgians deal with the fallout.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I can't imagine Germans are very happy with the Fessenheim power plant either, especially since it's one of the oldest plant we have. I hear it's due to be decommissioned.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Related:

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Why the different colour for the northernmost region?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

It's from a newspaper article from that region.

e: I'm wrong, it's from the region's website.

http://www.nord-pas-de-calais.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/?-Energie-

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Oh, ok, thanks. So it's just a "You are here" thing. I guess I was expecting something also politically loaded. :shobon:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's the new FLN: Front de Libération du Nord.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Indonesia is very unsurprising for the Netherlands. Its history as a colony of the Netherlands put quite an influence on the latter, mostly in food.

Also, what kind of plant in Lithuania? Potato?

Probably refers to a factory. As in a nuclear plant.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 29, 2014

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

escape mechanism posted:

The Chooz nuclear reactors are such a brilliant and assholish way to deal with NIMBY from French voters. Just let the Belgians deal with the fallout.

Obviously they've played SimCity. You always put the power plants on the border to cut pollution in half.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Ulvino posted:

Oh, ok, thanks. So it's just a "You are here" thing. I guess I was expecting something also politically loaded. :shobon:

No, although the former site in Brennelis is pretty politically loaded. It was sabotaged a few times by the Front de Libération de la Bretagne and ended up being the first French nuclear plant to be decommissioned. Right around the same time EDF wanted to build another plant in Plogoff at the far western tip of Brittany but it was delayed by violent protests until Mitterand's election when he scrapped the project. There's a decent film on YouTube about it if you speak French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCt8Pz5THPM

Kurtofan posted:

It's the new FLN: Front de Libération du Nord.

Défreumez ches ch'tis!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

http://bar.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoamseitn

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Geshtal posted:

Obviously they've played SimCity. You always put the power plants on the border to cut pollution in half.

It's not completely obvious from that tiny original map, but it's not just on the border:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But to be fair, if it blows it won't matter if it's there or a bit further into the country. :downs:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah, Chernobyl was far away and the radiation cloud (that officially had stopped at the border :thumbsup:) still had an impact in France (in the east especially, and Corsica): more thyroid cancers, though I'm not sure this is officially recognized.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

It's not completely obvious from that tiny original map, but it's not just on the border:

The Chooz plant was a joint Franco-Belgian project.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't think Belgians are even particularly anti-nuclear, that's more Germany.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
According to a semi-recent poll, most actually are anti-nuclear. Kleine-Brogel has become some sort of symbol for anything related to nuclear power, as in: "everything nuclear is American imperialism and also very dangerous :downs: "

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I thought that said presence/absence of rabbis :v:

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

According to a semi-recent poll, most actually are anti-nuclear. Kleine-Brogel has become some sort of symbol for anything related to nuclear power, as in: "everything nuclear is American imperialism and also very dangerous :downs: "

Nuclear weapons are grossly unpopular. Nuclear energy is popular: according to a 2013 poll, 65% wants to keep nucleair production. One can ask questions about any bias, seeing the source of this poll, of course.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Wow, so there's one thing you don't have to worry about from the wildlife in Australia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

That would sure make for many questions.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Kurtofan posted:

That would make the countries with the presence of "Bat Rabbis" completely awesome places to be.

"Bruce Wayneberg, why do we never see you and Bat Rabbi in the same room together?"

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Agricola Frigidus posted:

Nuclear weapons are grossly unpopular. Nuclear energy is popular: according to a 2013 poll, 65% wants to keep nucleair production. One can ask questions about any bias, seeing the source of this poll, of course.

I bet the numbers on building new nuclear production are way lower though. The whole core of the anti-nuke movement is conflating nuclear weapons and nuclear power, along with panic over reactor accidents that may or may not even be possible in theory

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

I bet the numbers on building new nuclear production are way lower though. The whole core of the anti-nuke movement is conflating nuclear weapons and nuclear power, along with panic over reactor accidents that may or may not even be possible in theory

Oh good, more D&D orthodoxy on how nuclear opponents are "hysterical" in the mapthread plz

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Did you know: Fukushima never happened and everyone was just being silly?

Pictured: Nothing, don't worry about it

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 30, 2014

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What order is that list supposed to be in? It isn't sorted in any column.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Freudian posted:

What order is that list supposed to be in? It isn't sorted in any column.

I'm not sure why that list is on there, it's enough to show nuclear incidents on the map (though it would be nice if they were coded by severity). Even more politically-loaded, I guess :v:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How many people died of radiation poisoning at or around Fukushima? From the other 'major' disasters on the map, other than Chernobyl?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Let's rather burn coal or gas or oil, who cares about global warming/climate change, mining accidents, oil spills, acid rain etc.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

And yet fossil fuels have caused so many more deaths and so much more environmental damage.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TheImmigrant posted:

How many people died of radiation poisoning at or around Fukushima? From the other 'major' disasters on the map, other than Chernobyl?

The dot in Michigan didn't even release any radioactivity into the environment and it doesn't include the really hosed up stuff at the refining plants in the USSR.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Why leave out the Kyshtym disaster, I wonder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

To be clear, I'm complaining that the pro-nuclear consensus here makes it easy to make really lazy, bad arguments. Like casually implying that nuclear opponents are retarded, or that there's no link between civilian and military nuclear programs, both of which occurred in the last few posts. Oh, and somehow reactor accidents are no longer possible in theory, amazing!