Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Appreciate the help, gentlemen. I haven't actually created an account yet, but I suppose I should if it allows me to password-protect things. Will creating an account cause any online indexing of my thumbnails though? I looked over the privacy policy a bit and wasn't sure about some of the wording. Like I'm not sure what does and does not apply if I'm only ever going to be sharing on my local network.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

I dont' know if it indexes anything online. I don't think it does, however it will allow you to connect to your plex server from any Internet connected computer. You will need your user name and password

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Thumbnails are indexed on the local server.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

There's no good way to have Plex Media Server stream live TV from a capture card, is there?

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Sorry. I have no idea. Never tried

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Finally got Plex to work with Private Internet Access!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Parker Lewis posted:

There's no good way to have Plex Media Server stream live TV from a capture card, is there?

Not at the moment. At least not to my knowledge. I have a feeling a feature like that is in its future though, which is part of the reason why I shelled out the $80 for the lifetime pass.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

teagone posted:

Not at the moment. At least not to my knowledge. I have a feeling a feature like that is in its future though, which is part of the reason why I shelled out the $80 for the lifetime pass.

XBMC (KODI) is suppose to do live tv. I still prefer plex

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
HD Homerun works great for OTA. My cable provider encrypted their QAM channels but presumably it would work just as well.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

bryn987 posted:

Finally got Plex to work with Private Internet Access!

Could you elaborate on your setup? I have the same combo working by using some janky bash bullshit to lookup the various IPs of plex.com, then some iptables mangle fuckery to bypass the VPN on those IPs and the Plex ports. Are you using the PIA port forwarding function and feeding that port into Plex?

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

DashingGentleman posted:

Could you elaborate on your setup? I have the same combo working by using some janky bash bullshit to lookup the various IPs of plex.com, then some iptables mangle fuckery to bypass the VPN on those IPs and the Plex ports. Are you using the PIA port forwarding function and feeding that port into Plex?

Are your using PIA on your remote system or on your plex server or both?

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
PIA on the server. I don't expect it would be a problem at all on the clients? My server if offline at the moment though, so can't test. My per-port and per-IP VPN bypass actually seems to be reasonably robust – as much as a bash script that relies on pinging external services can be – and I need it for some other stuff anyway. Just curious how others have rigged it.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

hmm. i dont' run PIA on my server. So i dont' have that issue. I wouldn't expect to have any problems.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
VPNs definitely gently caress with Plex. My solution was to run either Plex or your VPN from inside of a Virtualbox/VMWare guest.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Do you have your router connect to PIA?
I had a setup for a while in my house where I had 2 routers. 1 router connected directly to the Internet, the second router connected to the first but all traffic through the second one was ran through PIA. This allowed me to have an encrypted network and a non-encrypted network. I then could connect to what ever I needed at the time.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Just put this together, hopefully it helps someone. Now I will not be supprised if my set up fucks up again as plex and pia is a tricky bastard

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/134094-pms-and-pia-private-internet-access/?p=804873

BTW, does Plex Home Theater work with Chromecast? I would love to have a more immersive jukebox experience on my TV

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Yes, you can cast to chromecast from the plex app directly.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

ya there is a plex app for chromecast

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Dumb question probably but I have plex on an Amazon fire stick to the TV. Does streaming stuff from my laptop kill my internet speed at all or is strictly going through the router only? Like if I'm playing games online on my ps4 and girlfriend is watching something on plex

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Christoff posted:

Dumb question probably but I have plex on an Amazon fire stick to the TV. Does streaming stuff from my laptop kill my internet speed at all or is strictly going through the router only? Like if I'm playing games online on my ps4 and girlfriend is watching something on plex

If you have a lovely router it might show down your whole network, but that's probably unlikely.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Ok, I guess I'm dumb but why would you want your Plex to run through PIA? Is it just to obscure your home IP from shares?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Plex casts directly to Chromecast, been successfully doing that at my girlfriend's the last few nights but now the Chromecast has decided to become undiscoverable :smith:

bryn987
May 31, 2014

suddenlyissoon posted:

Ok, I guess I'm dumb but why would you want your Plex to run through PIA? Is it just to obscure your home IP from shares?

I do it to mask my torrenting and I don't want to turn PIA off and on when I do it.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

ahh. load up a virtual machine and put PIA on the VM and do anything you want protected on the VM. Then plex runs on your main box and is unaffected by PIA

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there any way to get Plex to spit the meta data I've hand edited in the web interface to the folder containing the files? I know XBMC used to do this, and I'd like to keep a backup of my data (and don't really want to use an external tool for the few sections I need to do it by hand, the Plex editor is decent enough for me).

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there any way to get Plex to spit the meta data I've hand edited in the web interface to the folder containing the files? I know XBMC used to do this, and I'd like to keep a backup of my data (and don't really want to use an external tool for the few sections I need to do it by hand, the Plex editor is decent enough for me).

Not that I know of - you have to manually save poo poo to the directory. Its quite irritating. If anyone know how to do this (easily) please share...

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Parker Lewis posted:

Currently, if you buy an HDHomeRun Extend, which can transcode the signal in-hardware to h.264/AAC for tablet/phone playback, you can get it into Plex using a thing called HDSurfer, which is a Python script that is a big enough pain in the rear end to set up and use that I eventually said "gently caress it" and stuck with the antenna hooked up to the TV. I do use Plex to play back my WMC recordings, which are kept in their original MPEG2/AC3 form and it keeps up with transcoding and playing them back over Chromecast just fine. Its metadata scraper can't read the filenames well, but if you have a Windows Media Center DVR set up and point it at the recordings folder and have Plex treat it as home videos they all play just fine. Considering the ease with which it handles the recorded files, which are in no way compressed or anything from their original broadcast form, I imagine it wouldn't take much to make live playback/transcoding happen as well through Plex. They just haven't done it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TheScott2K posted:

Currently, if you buy an HDHomeRun Extend, which can transcode the signal in-hardware to h.264/AAC for tablet/phone playback, you can get it into Plex using a thing called HDSurfer, which is a Python script that is a big enough pain in the rear end to set up and use that I eventually said "gently caress it" and stuck with the antenna hooked up to the TV. I do use Plex to play back my WMC recordings, which are kept in their original MPEG2/AC3 form and it keeps up with transcoding and playing them back over Chromecast just fine. Its metadata scraper can't read the filenames well, but if you have a Windows Media Center DVR set up and point it at the recordings folder and have Plex treat it as home videos they all play just fine. Considering the ease with which it handles the recorded files, which are in no way compressed or anything from their original broadcast form, I imagine it wouldn't take much to make live playback/transcoding happen as well through Plex. They just haven't done it.

I don't understand why anyone puts up with all that poo poo.

Just download it all and continue to pay for cable TV/Netflix/Amazon/whomever to appease your personal Gods of Moral Correctness. It's like a million times easier to download it from usenet or torrents.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Thermopyle posted:

Just download it all and continue to pay for cable TV/Netflix/Amazon/whomever to appease your personal Gods of Moral Correctness. It's like a million times easier to download it from usenet or torrents.

Recording playback pretty much just works. I'd like to watch some stuff live, though, and torrents just don't do the trick for that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Am I blind or is there really no way to filter movies by genre in the web client?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I was really only interested in live TV because of sports. It would be nice if I could somehow have my Plex box transcode a football game on CBS and send it to my iPhone, but it doesn't sound like that's possible at this point.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

Totally agree. Easier to just download

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thermopyle posted:

Am I blind or is there really no way to filter movies by genre in the web client?

It's there OK. Go to Movies, change the dropdown at the top to 'All' or something so the options are all opened up, click +Filter and hit the Genre button.

(Took me a while yesterday to realise this is where the Collections are hidden too, so I feel like I know that Filter button on an intimate level today).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kri kri posted:

Not that I know of - you have to manually save poo poo to the directory. Its quite irritating. If anyone know how to do this (easily) please share...

Yep, I spent a few hours on doing some organising yesterday. Decide to make it easier today by editing the section so it doesn't include the big containing folder, but specific folders within it. Does the rescan and everything I'd manually tied to tMDB is now missing all the meta data again. Goddamnit. Maybe I will use an external metadata program then... grrr

e: ok so now I know why you can't export NFOs etc... Plex doesn't bloody support them natively even for input. This is dumb. I can rename all my files so they get scraped against tMDB now but I'm relying on some of the custom options like Sort Title to display them in the chronological order.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 30, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's there OK. Go to Movies, change the dropdown at the top to 'All' or something so the options are all opened up, click +Filter and hit the Genre button.

(Took me a while yesterday to realise this is where the Collections are hidden too, so I feel like I know that Filter button on an intimate level today).

I'm either not understanding you or I just don't have that option.

Bah, I'm on an old version of PMS. Going to upgrade...

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 30, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ahh, thanks. There it is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry wasn't at my machine when I posted and didn't explain it very well!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sorry wasn't at my machine when I posted and didn't explain it very well!

You're so worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

jadeddrifter posted:

ahh. load up a virtual machine and put PIA on the VM and do anything you want protected on the VM. Then plex runs on your main box and is unaffected by PIA

please, :filez: folks, do not ignore this. for a million reasons having a VM accidentally infected is a mostly non issue vs your main machine. especially with PIA.