Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

My heir was imprisoned (I don't know when or why it happened), how do I get him out of here? He was imprisoned by the King of Norway.

Sounds like he got captured in a Viking raid. You can wait until they try to ransom him back to you, or you can take the intrigue focus (if you have Way of Life), then right click on your son's portrait and select the option that lets you bust him out of prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

Maybe you have just been unlucky with the bugs? Game seems about the same level of bugginess as always to me, haven't noticed anything like what you describe, and most people ITT seem to still be having fun with it.
I invite you to tag-switch about a dozen times through the various kingdoms in your game. Pick ones that are at peace, and let us know how many of them have levies raised.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Spakstik posted:

Sounds like he got captured in a Viking raid. You can wait until they try to ransom him back to you, or you can take the intrigue focus (if you have Way of Life), then right click on your son's portrait and select the option that lets you bust him out of prison.

Thanks, that makes sense since I'm in Ireland, do Norwegians still do raids even if they're Christians?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Doctor Schnabel posted:

I invite you to tag-switch about a dozen times through the various kingdoms in your game. Pick ones that are at peace, and let us know how many of them have levies raised.

I haven't seen it yet in the dozen hours or so I've spent playing since the patch, but I also don't have any large nations in this save. Maybe it's restricted to only AI countries over a certain size?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

marktheando posted:

Maybe you have just been unlucky with the bugs? Game seems about the same level of bugginess as always to me, haven't noticed anything like what you describe, and most people ITT seem to still be having fun with it.

I mean, it's still plenty possible to play the game and have fun so it's "playable" (assuming you never want to, say, dump any lover ever because somehow that's bugged too) but the levy bug in particular is still gamebreaking in that it throws the rest of the world horribly off-course. Over 700 years it will happen plenty, and once it happens that particular realm is hosed: it can no longer expand and will keep racking up vassal relations penalties until it implodes, whereupon the AI will, if they're lucky, take only a century or so to reassemble it (assuming the player, who is unaffected, doesn't swallow all the duchy-sized chunks up first).

The levy bug is particularly irritating to me because it hits something so fundamental and because I didn't even see it in the open beta (which I played extensively) which means they somehow introduced it in the, like, five days between the last beta patch release and the day WoL dropped.

I mean, I love the concept of the DLC and I'm glad it's out, and I've been visiting family for the past week and a half so I'm not missing much by taking a break from CK2, but seriously this could have used another month or so in the oven and I really hope Paradox doesn't release any more DLC until spring, give their dev team and modders time to catch their loving breath and bugfix.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 29, 2014

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Kurtofan posted:

Thanks, that makes sense since I'm in Ireland, do Norwegians still do raids even if they're Christians?

I thought they stopped raiding once they converted to Christianity, though it might also be a function of whether they're still tribal; I remember that in the Charlemagne start you can still raid people as any of the Irish counties even though they all start off as Catholic. Maybe someone else can fill you in on this, as I've never played any of the Scandinavian countries.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Doctor Schnabel posted:

I just went through the top ten or so rulers by realm size and the only ones with levies raised were at war or being raided.

Edit- Agreed that not being able to dump your lover is a little annoying.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 29, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

marktheando posted:

Most people in this thread are pretty stupid. The bug affects everyone.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Sure, Way of Life may have improved the game by adding a shitload of content available to every character at every level, with it being neat and good for almost everyone but there's a bug that can be fixed by consoling around and is fairly big. Not like any big bugs have featured earlier in the life of this game.

Honestly, as someone who prefers playing petty fuckups in the middle of nowhere, the Focuses are a godsend for increasing poo poo for me to do. A bit annoying that you can't amibition all your awful stats up as quickly but a fine tradeoff.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Sure, Way of Life may have improved the game by adding a shitload of content available to every character at every level, with it being neat and good for almost everyone but there's a bug that can be fixed by consoling around and is fairly big. Not like any big bugs have featured earlier in the life of this game.

Honestly, as someone who prefers playing petty fuckups in the middle of nowhere, the Focuses are a godsend for increasing poo poo for me to do. A bit annoying that you can't amibition all your awful stats up as quickly but a fine tradeoff.

The DLC owns, but it has a game breaking bug. Consoling around to every ruler is not a solution.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Man I'm starting to think my dynasty is cursed. I finished taking the entirety of Maryland and Delmarva, plus some around philly and turned my eyes south while I waiting for cash and men to break Washington and bring the high court there to heel so they stop harassing my people. I was going to start with a little rabble-rousing and rumor spreading in the empire of columbia when I went to double check my spymaster (second surviving son of previous king, head of my delmarvan trade republic) when I realized both he and my current king apparently cannot pop out sons. I have one who luckily survived childhood and was born with excellent traits and is currently being educated in Fortress Baltimore. Ahead of him were 8 sisters. The trade republic doge has 9 daughters and one in the oven. The imbecile bastard I married to another imbecile (legitimized) bastard and gave an appalachian county to has more sons than I do!

I really wanted to start trying to cracking off bits of the cotton belt, but I guess i'll have to stay above the Mason-Dixon and content myself with the continuing tale of the plucky new jersy cousin who thinks he can take on new york and win without my assistance after repeatedly plotting to kill me and somehow get a grip on my kingdom through a marriage to the fifth daughter of my first king.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Wait so is this why Byzantine won't reform? Does this explain my lack of Crusades too?

There's plenty of wars happening, but it's only de jure claims and revolts.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The bug affects everyone.

That's weird, I haven't seen the bug at all. Do you play the game modded or?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

nutranurse posted:

That's weird, I haven't seen the bug at all. Do you play the game modded or?

Completely vanilla. I would bet money you are affected & just haven't noticed.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Well it WOULD explain how I was able to subjugate Texas so rapidly with my Cajun Voodoo Queen. Looking at the forums mods can't do poo poo to fix it because it's a bug in the code itself, so yeah. I'm probably experiencing it and just not noticing.

e: Eh. Whatever. I'll just regard this as a throwback to how Pdox used to run things. Ahh, to relive the glory days of Vicky when you encountered more bugs than a Britishman tromping through the Congo.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 29, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If it's the thing where not all your levies actually disappear when you stand them down, yeah I've noticed it as well.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

You wouldn't see the bug because it's the AI's levies, and you can't see the AI's levies short of dotting their realm with councillors or being allied in a war with them. The problem is that the AI can't start wars because their levies can't be dismissed. At first I thought the AI was changed to be more passive but now that I know about the bug, the extremely boring lack of change with AI realms in my past few games makes more sense. Italy, Byzantium, England and a few other key areas literally never changed in over three different games. I can switch between the start date and ~200 years of progression and there might be a single county of difference in their borders.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What is it? I own all the DLC but Sunset and Charlemagne, and have been attacked multiple times now. I started as the Duchess lady in Tuscany, and one of the other Italian Dukes attacked me right off the bat after the Emperor declared war on Ghent, and my game from last night literally started with my Maldives leader getting a declaration of war from the C-whatever Empire in southeastern India.

Or is the "YOUR MORAL CHARACTER IS hosed, GET READY FOR US" -suddenly elephants all over my province- bit not really a declaration of war/if I kept playing either of those games eventually the armies would disappear because they can't dismiss/rebuild them?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
gently caress so I should basically stop playing until they come out with a beta patch that fixes said levies bug + the bug that makes it so Hindu rulers can't use Subjugation when they pick Become King of ____ as an ambition.

And my Reggio-to-Sicily Ironman was going so well. :mad:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rookersh posted:

What is it? I own all the DLC but Sunset and Charlemagne, and have been attacked multiple times now. I started as the Duchess lady in Tuscany, and one of the other Italian Dukes attacked me right off the bat after the Emperor declared war on Ghent, and my game from last night literally started with my Maldives leader getting a declaration of war from the C-whatever Empire in southeastern India.

Or is the "YOUR MORAL CHARACTER IS hosed, GET READY FOR US" -suddenly elephants all over my province- bit not really a declaration of war/if I kept playing either of those games eventually the armies would disappear because they can't dismiss/rebuild them?
Load up your game, find a realm that's at peace and console over to them. Look at the military tab. Are there any levies raised? If so, congratulations, that nation will never again declare another war for the duration of the game. Are some of those levies raised from vassals? Cool, those vassals will now hate their liege forever, or at least until they rebel, because their king is never sending their boys back home.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rookersh posted:

What is it?

The post right above yours describes it, and why it's such a huge problem (unless you just don't care).

Speaking of the bug, it affects everyone who's updated to 2.3 right? Not just people who've bought/used WoL?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I know I just started playing this, but did they ever say anything about including the Americas? I know about the Aztec dlc.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Rookersh posted:

The cause is unclear. Possibly it comes from rulers inheriting land while levies are raised, possibly its some poo poo with retinues being merged with levies. If the levies are eventually killed off by neighbors attacking then the AI can be broken out of a freeze state, but its hardly guaranteed. In my muslim Punjab game India has been fairly lively, for whatever reason, but none of the kingdom level titles in Europe and the near east have been at war in two hundred years. It's an absurd bug, one that people were noticing within hours of WoL releasing, and its proof that the devs didn't bother with anything but the most cursory QA, just like Charlemagne. Seriously, a single observer game would have made it clear that some poo poo was hosed.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Apparently the King of Norway has a whole bunch of people from different provinces locked up in his dungeon (Ireland, England and the HRE I think or somewhere in Germany I guess), what's your game Norway???

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Apparently the King of Norway has a whole bunch of people from different provinces locked up in his dungeon (Ireland, England and the HRE I think or somewhere in Germany I guess), what's your game Norway???

He's saving them all to sacrifice to Odin at their next big party.

(not a joke, actual Norse mechanic)

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Currently running an observer game. The year is 784, and both Charlemagne and Abd-al-Rahman are at peace, with one single army hanging around, consisting mostly of their small retinue, and partly of one vassal's levy. One baron's levy, to be exact. I'm laughing my rear end off here.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Brother Entropy posted:

He's saving them all to sacrifice to Odin at their next big party.

(not a joke, actual Norse mechanic)

I hope not, the earl of Dublin just died in a tavern explosion so I wouldn't want to lose another character so quickly, the guy's a Christian ffs!

Also a wonder steward eunuch steward came to my court so that's cool.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Kurtofan posted:

I know I just started playing this, but did they ever say anything about including the Americas? I know about the Aztec dlc.

Nothing specifically, they previously claimed no more map expansions, and some of the team think it would be out of scope to expand to China, but there were hints that other members wanted one.

I don't think an Americas expansion is very likely, since it would overlap in scope too much with Europa Universalis.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So do you need to levy your armies to declare war or is it the other way around?

Also, I switched from primogeniture to Gavelkind whatever (the one that divides provinces amongst brothers) without input, is that normal? I started with gavelking and decided to switch to primogeniture so I'm kind of pissed to have to do that all over again.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 30, 2014

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Kurtofan posted:

So do you need to levy your armies to declare war or is it the other way around?

You can't declare war if they are levied. And the AI gets stuck with perma-levied armies all the time right now.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kurtofan posted:

You don't need to do anything to levy your armies, you can do that whenever you want, but you can't have any levies raised if you want to declare war.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

You can only declare war if your levies are completely disbanded. This doesn't include retinues & mercenaries.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Any tips for playing as a patrician in 2.3 vanilla? Most of the old guides I've seen online suggest building up your family palace and establishing trade posts, as well as building up retinues, but since they made retinues super-expensive to maintain, that may not be a sound strategy anymore. I also remember a lot of people complaining about trade posts and ships after the last couple of patches.

Also, is it normal that in some years (using custom setup) you can't play as the Doge of a republic, but you can play as one of the patricians under him? For example, when I set the game to 1123, the actual Serene Doge of Venice is unplayable ("You can't play as republics!") but you can choose one of the patricians under him.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Panama Red posted:

Any tips for playing as a patrician in 2.3 vanilla? Most of the old guides I've seen online suggest building up your family palace and establishing trade posts, as well as building up retinues, but since they made retinues super-expensive to maintain, that may not be a sound strategy anymore. I also remember a lot of people complaining about trade posts and ships after the last couple of patches.

Also, is it normal that in some years (using custom setup) you can't play as the Doge of a republic, but you can play as one of the patricians under him? For example, when I set the game to 1123, the actual Serene Doge of Venice is unplayable ("You can't play as republics!") but you can choose one of the patricians under him.

Why would retinues costing more be bad for republic?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Panama Red posted:

Yeah, those are historical rulers who weren't part of the dynasties chosen as the default Patricians.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm hella cool with bigger empires being more likely to gently caress up, even if unintentionally. Playing Zun has created a Karling level of hate for the Abbs.

If they made a map expansion, I'd honestly much prefer that they do it like the After the End mod, as a stand-alone map or ones with tighter focus and smaller places, like in Total war.

Also more events in general and decisions, but especially for the non-norse pagans, Indians and Jews because dang if those don't need more specific content. (Or is that just meant to be fixed with mods?)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I'm running Beta 2.1.4 and I'm not getting the bug. In my Spain game, Umayyads have been dropping/raising levies and declaring holy wars all over the show.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm running Beta 2.1.4 and I'm not getting the bug. In my Spain game, Umayyads have been dropping/raising levies and declaring holy wars all over the show.

Well, yeah, because the bug was introduced in 2.3.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
What is the best unit makeup for my retinue? I'm in Ireland if that matters at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

TheMcD posted:

Well, yeah, because the bug was introduced in 2.3.
Hey, some people want a fix and there it is. WoL works fine with it.

• Locked thread