Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
That convoy trip looked legit scary. I definitely would be thinking that whoever is dumb enough to be smashing car windows at point blank with rocks is dumb enough to take a shot at the cars too.

Pretty embarrassing for Argentines (more like Argentwhines, though, am i rite lmao)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Logikv9 posted:

Clarkson's plate is the most convincingly insulting one. I actually didn't believe it wasn't staged until I saw somebody's screenshot of the car registration and how it has belonged to that car since its construction. But once you take offense to one thing, everything else just becomes insulting just by being there.

The plates could have read ABC123 and somebody would have commented on how it's a snide commentary on Argentinian education.

This is true. And I believe if that plate didn't say what it did, the Patagonia special would have ended with some boring car football match (which Argentina would win on penalties anyway). But as I said, if the plate didn't say what it did, they wouldn't have come up with it. It was a troll gone wrong.

Chiwie posted:

If they are going to get that butthurt over a number plate then maybe they shouldn't of started the war.

They shouldn't have, no. And if they do it again the loss will be worse.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Thank you Argentina for making the American South look sort of vaguely well adjusted and progressive in comparison. I didn't think that was possible but your contingent of intellectually disabled and persecution complex wielding troglodytes surpass ours :fsmug:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My favorite part of the Falklands war was when the Argentinians didn't realize the range of there missiles were significantly less then the British. Resulting in the British parking their ships just out of range and blasting the hell out of them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You could associate any 3 digit number with the Falklands if you're allowed that sort of leeway.

Scenery was gorgeous though, genuinely bummed out I'll never get to drive there.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

My favorite part of the Falklands war was when the Argentinians didn't realize the range of there missiles were significantly less then the British. Resulting in the British parking their ships just out of range and blasting the hell out of them.

Where did you here this? I'm afraid the Exocet missiles had pretty good range and caused a significant amount of the total causalities suffered by the British. Two ships sunk, a third damaged. What part of this is your most favorite?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ola posted:

Where did you here this? I'm afraid the Exocet missiles had pretty good range and caused a significant amount of the total causalities suffered by the British. Two ships sunk, a third damaged. What part of this is your most favorite?

The fact that Argentina lost.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
You guys are forgetting the fact that records prove that plate belonged to a gray Porsche 928 first registered in 1991. So unless it's an insult 20 years in the making, there's no way it could have been intentional.

Jeremy's irrational love for the 928 (he also used one in the 1500-or-less-Porsche challenge, remember) implies that of course he'd pick the 928 if they're doing an "ode to the V8" challenge. If they picked that challenge just so they could use that Porsche with that number plate, I think they would have been a lot more obvious about the insult.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CornHolio posted:

You guys are forgetting the fact that records prove that plate belonged to a gray Porsche 928 first registered in 1991. So unless it's an insult 20 years in the making, there's no way it could have been intentional.

"Oh god look at that plate, we have to use that car", if you really want to go that way.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

The illuminati is real, and their goal is to make a bunch of south american hillbillies upset that they lost a war they started.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CornHolio posted:

If they picked that challenge just so they could use that Porsche with that number plate, I think they would have been a lot more obvious about the insult.

Maybe they were in the script, but not in the edit. If you have the camera, you get to tell the story.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ola posted:

It was second hand information. No need to go Argentinian on me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This is one nation's toes TG won't be trying to keep from stepping on in the future.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

Maybe they were in the script, but not in the edit. If you have the camera, you get to tell the story.

You're making an assumption there.

"Oh yeah, they were probably running around naked yelling "gently caress YOU, ARGENTINA!" but of course they'd never show that on camera!"

Unless you have something to back that up other than mere speculation, it's not even part of an argument you can have about it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ola posted:

And no doubt the Argentine mob will be releasing some edits of their footage that don't show them as being violent, knuckle-dragging retards.

Any time now....

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Thread was better when the plate argument didn't show up again.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

It was second hand information. No need to go Argentinian on me.

I didn't. I was being British about it. Even if I'm not British.

CornHolio posted:

You're making an assumption there.

"Oh yeah, they were probably running around naked yelling "gently caress YOU, ARGENTINA!" but of course they'd never show that on camera!"

Unless you have something to back that up other than mere speculation, it's not even part of an argument you can have about it.

You are right, it was a total assumption. My post began with "maybe". Your post began with "if". And here we are, speculating on the internet. Just a few more posts now and the truth will come.

edit: as I seem to be the current Argie-apologist, I will end this sequence with this:

spog posted:

And no doubt the Argentine mob will be releasing some edits of their footage that don't show them as being violent, knuckle-dragging retards.

Any time now....

They were absolutely loving knuckle-draggers and they will never admit to anything but stupid "viva la patria" honor poo poo that belongs to some certain pointy-helmeted central Europeans pre-1914.

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 29, 2014

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Fo3 posted:

Thread was better when the plate argument didn't show up again.

Agreed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'll say this, if they had intended to stir up poo poo I doubt James would have cracked off that throwaway one-liner about "I hereby claim this land in the name of Norfolk" when they got off the landing craft. They would have saved such jibes for the main event.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just a PS, this, not carrying on at all...

Data Graham posted:

I'll say this, if they had intended to stir up poo poo I doubt James would have cracked off that throwaway one-liner about "I hereby claim this land in the name of Norfolk" when they got off the landing craft. They would have saved such jibes for the main event.

In front of nobody but Hammond, Clarkson and their own production crew? Many months before the program aired? Why would that be dramatic in any way?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Ola posted:

Just a PS, this, not carrying on at all...

In front of nobody but Hammond, Clarkson and their own production crew? Many months before the program aired? Why would that be dramatic in any way?

Jesus Christ, why don't you gently caress off to an uninhabited island in the South Pacific and wait for an invasion?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

spog posted:

Jesus Christ, why don't you gently caress off to an uninhabited island in the South Pacific and wait for an invasion?

See, this is what an Argie would say.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ola posted:

See, this is what an Argie would say.

You should spend less time shitposting here and more time crying over the fact that a handful of limeys were blown up by a third world country 30 years ago.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Ola posted:

The Argentine navy went home after that cruiser got sunk - fair enough, they had absolutely no way of dealing with submarines.

Then again the Brits couldn't effectively deal with Argentine air attacks either which is how their casualties happened.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

You should spend less time shitposting here and more time crying over the fact that a handful of limeys were blown up by a third world country 30 years ago.

What? Are you British? I don't understand from your jumbled words and broken logic if you are ridiculing Brits or trying to defend them somehow. I am happy to shitpost now and then, but I am not sending up anyone who died in an actual war. If you are British, please remember that a stupid "shitposting" Norwegian taught you something about your own country's military efforts today. I will happily celebrate the British efforts in the Falklands and mourn their losses in what was a just and true war - and I will not bat an eyelid at ridiculing morons who don't know what they're talking about, particularly the ones that struggle with their mother tongue at the same time. Go to school.

All right that is definitely it though, posting over.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
riots or no riots, I feel like this could've been a better special had it been a one-hour episode. Did anything even occur in the first half aside from the trip to the cabin and a few breakdowns?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ola posted:

What? Are you British? I don't understand from your jumbled words and broken logic if you are ridiculing Brits or trying to defend them somehow. I am happy to shitpost now and then, but I am not sending up anyone who died in an actual war. If you are British, please remember that a stupid "shitposting" Norwegian taught you something about your own country's military efforts today. I will happily celebrate the British efforts in the Falklands and mourn their losses in what was a just and true war - and I will not bat an eyelid at ridiculing morons who don't know what they're talking about, particularly the ones that struggle with their mother tongue at the same time. Go to school.

All right that is definitely it though, posting over.

Chill the gently caress out.

Had a chance to watch the special back to back last night and good lord was it funny.Watching that Lotus get pounded hurt a little since I have a soft spot for them. That 3 F's line slayed me.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

triple clutcher posted:

riots or no riots, I feel like this could've been a better special had it been a one-hour episode. Did anything even occur in the first half aside from the trip to the cabin and a few breakdowns?

I think they expected the cars to be a lot more poo poo than they turned out to be in the first half, and they didn't organise alternate challenges to fill time if the wheels weren't falling off every five minutes.

The "convert your car into something better in a garage" segment in the latter half also fits better if the cars had utterly disintegrated, but they hadn't and so it was a bit unnecessary.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

triple clutcher posted:

I would have preferred a one hour special as well.

I think they had planned for the arena building, car football, and whatever else they had planned to take up a lot of time and when that fell apart they just filled in the missing bits with whatever footage they had. Both episodes were very pretty but there wasn't a lot there (especially the first one which I found pretty boring).

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I lost it at Hammond's impression of the 'fun loving German.' "Oh it's just a mental car, is just silly! Schliding about on de shnow!"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Galler posted:

I would have preferred a one hour special as well.

I think they had planned for the arena building, car football, and whatever else they had planned to take up a lot of time and when that fell apart they just filled in the missing bits with whatever footage they had. Both episodes were very pretty but there wasn't a lot there (especially the first one which I found pretty boring).

Yeah, I found the first one pleasant, but not outstanding.

The tone seemed to be all 'calm before the storm' which didn't really materialise (apart from the convoy segment, which didn't feature the stars).

Not to mention that pretty much everything that happened had been done before on previous specials. Was there anything that was new?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Malvinas son Maricones.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

CornHolio posted:

Jeremy's irrational love for the 928 (he also used one in the 1500-or-less-Porsche challenge, remember) implies that of course he'd pick the 928 if they're doing an "ode to the V8" challenge. If they picked that challenge just so they could use that Porsche with that number plate, I think they would have been a lot more obvious about the insult.

I dunno man, the reasoning he gave for loving the 928 in the special was pretty solid to me. I wouldn't call it irrational, that sounded legit :unsmith:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Scenery was gorgeous though, genuinely bummed out I'll never get to drive there.

Yup, Argentina is added to the "beautiful place but likely won't visit because of the people" list along with Greece.

Clarkson's story about his father hit a bit close to home for me, as I had to rush my dad to emergency last week. Not nearly as cool of a car as it was a beat up Corolla and not as time sensitive since my dad is now receiving care, but you could hear the familiar emotion in Clarkson's voice.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 30, 2014

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think most of the really good scenery was in Chile anyway.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

T1g4h posted:

I dunno man, the reasoning he gave for loving the 928 in the special was pretty solid to me. I wouldn't call it irrational, that sounded legit :unsmith:

Yeah he seemed legitimately emotional about it.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

G-Mach posted:

The chicken was still warm and his dad was still alive enough for him to say goodbye. I'm not crying, you're crying.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

G-Mach posted:

I understand Jeremy's perpetual need for power a lot more now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It was a rare little sight into the Jeremy under the Jeremy. For that reason alone this would have been kind of a landmark episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
For how long they drew out the special, I would love to know two things: How they got out and the state of the cars today. I would put good money on the hosts being flown out and the cars being torched.