Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Definitely see a vet. It could very well be a soft tissue strain, but you need to see someone to rule out worse things. Rory came up with a forelimb lameness a couple of months ago that turned out to be a shoulder strain. All she needed was a week of rest and it hasn't been an issue since and Remy's symptoms sound very similar but IANAV soooo...

BTW, I can't believe that Halloween has come and gone without a single costumed greyhound in this thread! I dropped the ball completely myself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Well, since I last posted he's been absolutely fine, even when I let him run in my apartment hallway. No limping, favoring a paw, or anything. Still gonna keep him from going too wild, but as long as he's showing no signs of limping I don't really much reason to rush to the vet before the next checkup (let me know if that's wrong).
Here he is burying his head in my sheets.

Here he is in another (much smaller) dog's bed at work. He tends to like other dogs beds more than his own, and somehow the other dogs just let him get away with it.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who bundles their dog up at night. Her ears are just always so cold in the morning. :ohdear:

In other news, Rory ate a whole buffalo wing the other night and I made her barf it up with hydrogen peroxide which made her Very Sad.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 20, 2014

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

pastor of muppets posted:

In other news, Rory ate a whole buffalo wing the other night and I made her barf it up with hydrogen peroxide which made her Very Sad.

Mona ate 2 a few months ago - basically swallowed them whole. The vet said to pack her up with rice/pumpkin and just wait it out. The worry was that the bones would damage her throat on the way back up. She recovered fine, and enjoyed the extra food.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it would pass or not. Luckily I work as a surgical assistant at a veterinary surgical practice, so I texted one of the doctors and she said "Eh, it would probably pass without obstruction, but I would go ahead and make her puke just in case. If it doesn't work or it blocks, text me back and I'll meet you at the hospital!" But within a minute of giving it to her she puked it up. She was pretty :saddowns: and a little urpy the rest of the night, but gladly scarfed down her breakfast the next morning.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Casey (somehow) broke his outer toe on his back right foot Friday evening. Came inside after being doing his business, and he had his foot completely off the ground.
Vet said it's gonna be 6 weeks minimum in splints and bandages, and I have to keep this dog from running, even though it's his one true passion in life.
I had to adjust his legs so he didn't lay down on top of them. He keeps bumping the cone and scaring himself. He's just a poor, pathetic buddy right now.

rhoga fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 2, 2014

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Poor puppy!

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Poor Casey. He still has a smile on his face though! Good boy.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Congrats to Pastor of Muppets for winning the pet photo thread for November!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Thank you! :D Had to fly the flag for skinnydogs everywhere. I had my donation prize go to Rory's rescue group because they were awesome.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Happy Howlidays from our dog who is giving us a look like we personally betrayed him.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Awww stylin' hound!

So what is everyone getting their hound for the holidays? We have spoiled Reese so much that it's difficult to think of something so I would like to hear your ideas!

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Tree Goat posted:

Happy Howlidays from our dog who is giving us a look like we personally betrayed him.

We have that same snood, but I can't find a photo right now. Jake disliked it, to say the least. This thread always needs more photos, so here you go!

Yes, that is the same toy in the last two photos. Very good dog indeed.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ooh, mine does that too. Let a tiny little hole appear in any of his stuffed toys and I can count on finding whites fluffs everywhere for weeks.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

slap me silly posted:

Ooh, mine does that too. Let a tiny little hole appear in any of his stuffed toys and I can count on finding whites fluffs everywhere for weeks.

Same for mine. Toys rarely last a week or two!

Obligatory pic

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Reese is amazingly nondestructive with his toys. This is especially in contrast with our last dog, a golden retriever who would destroy any toy within half an hour (barring a few she kept indefinitely).

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
My greyhound has spent too much time with her lab friend. She waded out into the lake today, in winter, in Canada. She also decided to pick up a stick and run around like crazy with it. I think she was trying to convince her lab friend running is fun, but he was having none of it.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

spoon daddy posted:

Same for mine. Toys rarely last a week or two!

A week or two?! Jake destroys nearly all toys within minutes. On several occasions we have purchased toys for him at PetSmart. He rips out the squeakers and stuffing from them before we complete the 10 minute ride home. He gets bored of toys that don't squeak so toys have basically become treats to him, something to play with for a few minutes then its done. We got a couple of very heavy duty toys from our greyhound group that he hasn't been able to destroy, but with those he gets bored because he can't destroy it. It's a weird balance to find. Thankfully he is not destructive with anything that is not a toy (yet).

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Rory is very gentle with her toys. I still have the stuffed mastodon my mom bought for her before we even got her. She almost always manages to puncture the squeakers pretty quickly though and after that they become very boring.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I panicked today and thought my doggie ripped off her carpal pad. I rushed her to the vet, and found that it was caked on mud flaking off. She had a scrape underneath, though.

Luckily vet is busy, and is more than happy to let me leave.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

What did our dogs get for Christmas?

:frog:
Also pumpkin dog cookies, made by my grandma. There aren't many treats that Tess will take from my fingers. Normally I have to set them down on the ground for her. She will take those pumpkin dog cookies from me.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
My dog got a squeaky pig, which she found incomprehensible.

Her real Christmas treat was the crispy bits of skin and fat attached to the turkey breast, especially the neck skin. Its wierd. love pork fat and beef fat. Not at all a fan of chicken or turkey fat. Dog is totally not picky.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Doggies!

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Well it looks like we are done with trips to the dog park. We took him there on Saturday and let him run after a ball a few times. Jake is fine with general butt sniffing, but gets snappy when energetic dogs pounce on him. He had finished running so I leashed him up and led him to some water. A young pit bull approached us along with his owners right behind him. I would estimate the pit to be about 6 months old. We warned them right away that Jake does not like other dogs jumping on him, and that we are trying to just keep our distance and do our own thing. They laughed it off and said “oh well, he will just have to learn, haha!” referring to their own dog. Sort of a tough love mentality, but it backfired. Jake was already uneasy and growled a bit at the dog being in his face. A minute later the pit put his paws on Jake's neck and face in a playful manner. Jake instantly snapped and punctured the pit's nose, drawing blood. I couldn't pull him away fast enough. Luckily the pit didn't want to fight, and ran away screeching very loudly. However at this point a massive mixed breed dog and a pack of other dogs chased the screeching pit and began a group attack on him. Apparently the screeching made them opportunistic, I don't know. It took two guys to hold down the big dog and free the pit, and the whole park was kind of in shock. We checked with the pit’s owners and saw the blood running down his snout as they pulled out of the parking lot. They didn't seem angry at us as the pack did most of the damage, but Jake started it.

We hate to deny him the chance to run, but we just can’t seem to get him to socialize with some dogs properly. He growls to let us know he's uneasy, but its a low growl that's hard to hear. If you're outside you might not notice, so it makes his snap attacks seem very sudden and unpredictable. We are thinking we will find a baseball field or something similar that is fenced in but not monitored very well, and just bend the rules and let him run. I just don't know what else to do.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I just don't know what else to do.

For starters, I'm afraid you need to muzzle him any time he's even POTENTIALLY going to be around other dogs, since this is his second incident. At least until you find a better solution.

I know you were concerned about him being defenseless if another dog attacks him, but either he "wins" like he did these two and you feel terrible about him tearing up someone's dog (or worse), or he "loses" and gets a few wounds before you can separate them, which the other guy is on the hook for. Maybe greys are different and they don't mind being the only one wearing a muzzle; maybe he'll start less poo poo with a muzzle on. Look at spoon daddy's pic, nearly every dog is muzzled; every grey gathering I've seen has been like that, even most meets between single dogs. Many of the owners I know who live in the more urban areas of town even muzzle on their daily leashed walks.

How busy is your dog park? Before you try a non-dog area, can you go at the crack of dawn on Sundays or whatever, if that's the only time it's empty enough that you don't have so many other dogs to contend with? That's when we take our reactive boy. We stay as close as possible to him, and leash up and head towards the door ASAP when we see someone coming in who doesn't look in control of their dog. It's a hell of a lot more work for us, but it's kept Ty from eating anyone so far.

Edit to fix grammar, mellow out.

alucinor fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 31, 2014

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

alucinor posted:

For starters, I'm afraid you need to muzzle him any time he's even POTENTIALLY going to be around other dogs, since this is his second incident. At least until you find a better solution.

I know you were concerned about him being defenseless if another dog attacks him, but either he "wins" like he did these two and you feel terrible about him tearing up someone's dog (or worse), or he "loses" and gets a few wounds before you can separate them, which the other guy is on the hook for. Maybe greys are different and they don't mind being the only one wearing a muzzle; maybe he'll start less poo poo with a muzzle on. Look at spoon daddy's pic, nearly every dog is muzzled; every grey gathering I've seen has been like that, even most meets between single dogs. Many of the owners I know who live in the more urban areas of town even muzzle on their daily leashed walks.

How busy is your dog park? Before you try a non-dog area, can you go at the crack of dawn on Sundays or whatever, if that's the only time it's empty enough that you don't have so many other dogs to contend with? That's when we take our reactive boy. We stay as close as possible to him, and leash up and head towards the door ASAP when we see someone coming in who doesn't look in control of their dog. It's a hell of a lot more work for us, but it's kept Ty from eating anyone so far.

Edit to fix grammar, mellow out.

It seems fairly busy, like you said depending on the time of day. We've gone at 10pm before and it was less busy for sure, but of course someone else had the same idea with their crazy dog that they didn't trust with a busy park. That one didn't get into it with Jake but did with the only other dog there besides Jake so we left.

I'm all for the muzzle and being watchful but our two biggest barriers have been that 1: he can't pick up the ball with it on (he's fairly good at fetch), and 2: when he has the muzzle on, he tends to freak out about it. He will rub on you with his snout and try to paw it off, so instead of having fun he's just freaking out about the muzzle. Eventually he chills out but it has been so long since he's had to wear one that he's gotten used to going without it.

We recently went to Arizona Adopt a Greyhound's annual picnic day where there I would say at least a hundred hounds present, if not more. If I had to guess I would say that I saw maybe 4 or 5 dogs with muzzles on. I assume it's just not as common here. That whole event he was just fine, he didn't growl even once and made lots of physical contact with other hounds that was not aggressive at all. It goes to show the preference they have for their own breed.

I think if we decide to go back to the dog park we will have to use a combo punch of all your suggestions. Going at off hours with a muzzle and being very watchful, not waiting for an out of control dog to approach us instead leaving at the first sign of trouble. That has been our issue too, we feel that owners should control their dogs and it sucks that we would have to leave just because someone is too lazy to watch or train their batshit insane dog. We have as much right to be there and anyone else. But for the safety of our own dog its for the best to walk away.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
This is Wren, I just got her this morning.

She's still way too excited about having her own water and food bowls, the two stairs leading the backyard still freak her out half of the time, and as you can see, she hasn't figured out what her bed is for yet. :3:

She's a total sweetheart.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hey congratulations! She looks pretty big for a female. Abby is 72 pounds.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

What an orangey brindle, so pretty! Please keep sharing updates on how she is settling in!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Must just be the perspective there, she's super tiny, like 56 pounds.

She's barely over a year old, never raced because she was too small, she just grew up with the brood and retired greyhounds.
She's been doing well, will follow me down a few stairs without a fuss, she's an odd mix of a greyhound and a typical puppy though, like she's afraid of her own shadow and hasn't really figured out her bed, but she'll get into things my last greyhound would have never noticed. Haven't left her alone for too long yet, so here's hoping she'll do alright.

Edit: She just now just now got on her bed to sleep for the first time! :3:

wyoming fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 5, 2015

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Remy doesn't quite understand backpack vacuum cleaners:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rez2IcWj9fA

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lhet posted:

Remy doesn't quite understand backpack vacuum cleaners:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rez2IcWj9fA

He wants to play. What a bug :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

That's cute, Abby is terrified of vacuums

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

actionjackson posted:

That's cute, Abby is terrified of vacuums

He is too; he just doesn't know it's a vacuum.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona is afraid of the vacuum too, but due to the treats she occasionally gets when we vacuum, she hovers a few feet away the whole time. She has a cute look that is a mixture of terror and anticipation on her face the whole time.

If she's in another room when we start, she runs over at full speed then stops at the door with an "oh crap" look on her face.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
Dear silly hound owning goons,

How compatable is this particular breed of dogs with full time working, It has been a breed that was reccomended to me as somone who desires a dog that can co-exist with a 9-5.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

DerVerrater posted:

Dear silly hound owning goons,

How compatable is this particular breed of dogs with full time working, It has been a breed that was reccomended to me as somone who desires a dog that can co-exist with a 9-5.

:ssh: Most dogs can exist with a 9-5 if you make time for them before and after work. I have a 2yr old BC and 4yr old JRT dealing with an 8-5.30 basically.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Fullsize greyhounds (as opposed to IGs) I'd say deal better than most as they have big enough bladders that they can tough out the workday, and are lazy enough that the exercise you can fit in before or after work is more than enough. Some retired racers can get pretty bad separation anxiety though, just because they have been around other greys and people pretty much 24/7.

Depends on the dog! Hang out with some dogs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Mine sleeps all day while I'm at work, then sleeps all day when I get home so I'd say pretty well.

Results vary dog to dog though I'm sure.