Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

leather fedora posted:

It's a listening CD for a Touhou-themed English textbook that I wrote and a bunch of artists illustrated. The CDs are recordings of the books read by native English speakers so it gives people who don't know English a better reference as to what words sound like.

I listened to the first two chapters and now I want this CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kasen may be the most boring Oni but i am excited for her to be playable. I wonder what they'll do for her attacks, there's not a lot to go on besides animal summoning.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kasen may be the most boring Oni but i am excited for her to be playable. I wonder what they'll do for her attacks, there's not a lot to go on besides animal summoning.

Apparently it's animal summoning. Anyway, being playable also means she finally gets a theme song.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Playable Kosuzu.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

quote:

Notes about Kasen:

* She has a bald eagle that follows her around and at least one of her specials involves it attacking (FREEDOM)
* She apparently has gap powers now and can summon tigers to attack
* Her arm bandage arm is prehensile and is used to attack as a whip, a drill (around her foot, no less), grabby hands, and other such things (including a ranged grab special that envelopes the opponent entirely for a moment)
* She has at least two bandage supers, one of which is a giant tornado
* Her sprite is simply flipped upon turning around, so her bandaged arm is not always the same arm
* Her victory pose is a nag
* Story Mode Kasen has an infinite tiger summon spellcard

Apparently a demo is already out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Apparently a demo is already out.

Well, we knew she was playable because of the demo. People lined up at Comiket to buy it. Of course, there's a delay between buying it (and tweeting the cover, etc), and being able to sit down and play it.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Kasen sounds like Nakoruru, Rose and Strider Hiryu had a fighting game baby.

I can dig it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Whoops

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

This could totally be Doofy Ghost.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
It's Doofy Ghost and Mima both chilling in the "We'll never be in a Windows game" room.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Clarste posted:

Anyway, being playable also means she finally gets a theme song.

I KNOW RIGHT?! :neckbeard: Can't wait until all the ancillaries get their own actual theme songs.

Ryza posted:

This could totally be Doofy Ghost.

It's Mima, I tells ya.

But seriously, am I the only one getting a Keine vibe from that?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

But seriously, am I the only one getting a Keine vibe from that?

She does have a weird hat, but I don't think it's quite the same weird hat. I can see the vibe though. In motion, she looks quite different from anyone else, although maybe it's just an old character wearing a new hat, like Byakuren's hat in HM.

Kasen basically just summons all the pets we've seen she has in the manga. She has her eagle, her tiger, and even her Raijuu. I assume the dragon will be one of her currently locked spellcards (she only gets one, while Reimu and Marisa get three). We're back to IaMP level character customization: just choose your spellcard before the battle starts.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Surprising thing was that there was no line when I went to buy the demo. Just walked up and came away with 3 copies.

AdorableStar posted:

I listened to the first two chapters and now I want this CD.
If you have PMs/Paypal, that can be arranged. I can also provide you with the book that goes with it, and the previous versions.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
Hey I know there is significant cross interest from posters I here and the Gundam thread so can some one explain the meme with Lily White and Gym Gingham because it's been 3 years and I still don't get it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
All I know about that is that one picture of him dressed as Lily White and as far as I could tell it was just an artist messing around for no reason.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Not Dave posted:

Hey I know there is significant cross interest from posters I here and the Gundam thread so can some one explain the meme with Lily White and Gym Gingham because it's been 3 years and I still don't get it.

One of Gym's favorite quotes is "My springtime has come!"

I think that's about it.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

Hokuto posted:

One of Gym's favorite quotes is "My springtime has come!"

I think that's about it.

Okay, I must have missed that entirely or not been in the subs I watched. That explains it completely. Thank you.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

leather fedora posted:

Surprising thing was that there was no line when I went to buy the demo. Just walked up and came away with 3 copies.
The initial line stretched outside the hall, with many waiting in the rain. But Tasofro brought way too many copies, or more likely, after having beenburnt by HM, people are much more wary about this game.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

Anyway, being playable also means she finally gets a theme song.

I hope people get mad because someone's fan-theme for her is now no longer canon.

Speaking of getting mad I hope Seija is in this game, this is the only cast addition I care about.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm just glad that this'll finally greenlight Kasen for FMW.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's kinda silly but if ZUN hadn't released that one three track CD alongside SSIB the whole moon arc probably wouldn't have happened, would it?
I kinda wonder when his next CD is actually.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

A sign of Mima's return?!?!?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

To be fair, wasn't ZUN pretty surprised by Mima's popularity when he went to that one con in the USA? It's not like it's impossible that a ghost would return in a game ostensibly about ghost stories.

Good profile icon choice either way, though.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Nages posted:

A sign of Mima's return?!?!?

Does Kasen fight with the power of liberty and freedom or is the bald eagle just for show

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Her animal friends help out, but it is usually a tiger who shows up through a portal.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Does anyone know if Kasen's theme is in the demo? It's hard to tell if the music when you fight her is supposed to be her theme, or if it is just generic fightgames background music.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nages posted:

Her animal friends help out, but it is usually a tiger who shows up through a portal.

According to the manual, she has four animals: Kanda the Eagle, Mukou the Raijuu, Houso the Tiger, and a Dragon which doesn't show up in the demo. Presumably it's one of her missing spellcards.

Gameplay-wise the tiger is forward special, the eagle is up special, and the raijuu is down special.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
So I recently got into playing midis again and finally got myself a few Roland Synths, among others the SC-88 which is quite close to what Zun used (SC-8850), at least on the earlier games. So you all remember when the demos came with midi files, thought it sounded like crap and then just switched to the WAVs once you got the full versions? Well it turns out the midis actually does sound rather OK if you got decent hardware:
Imperishable Night - Voyage 1969 in flac recorded off of my Roland SC-88.
I've always liked this one and the piano samples sounds quite good on the 88. Granted, it doesn't sound as good as the WAV but it's not that far off and it might be even closer if I got myself a SC-88Pro.
If you do a search for touhou and midi on youtube you'll pretty much just end up with bad synthesia so I thought it would be fun to post this.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Just curious, are there any characters based on non-Eastern mythological figures?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Remilia?

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Might as well throw Sariel and Remilia's hobgoblin troupe in there too.

Pinguliten posted:

So I recently got into playing midis again and finally got myself a few Roland Synths, among others the SC-88 which is quite close to what Zun used (SC-8850), at least on the earlier games. So you all remember when the demos came with midi files, thought it sounded like crap and then just switched to the WAVs once you got the full versions? Well it turns out the midis actually does sound rather OK if you got decent hardware:
Imperishable Night - Voyage 1969 in flac recorded off of my Roland SC-88.
I've always liked this one and the piano samples sounds quite good on the 88. Granted, it doesn't sound as good as the WAV but it's not that far off and it might be even closer if I got myself a SC-88Pro.
If you do a search for touhou and midi on youtube you'll pretty much just end up with bad synthesia so I thought it would be fun to post this.

This is actually really cool, kinda surprised me to hear how good it sounded.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

leather fedora posted:

If you have PMs/Paypal, that can be arranged. I can also provide you with the book that goes with it, and the previous versions.

I have $4 availible to spend so it looks like I can't get it. :rip:

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Golden Battler posted:

This is actually really cool, kinda surprised me to hear how good it sounded.

What is really cool though is emulating the 1-6 games and play the midi through the synths, It's almost as playing 7 and on with WAVs.
I could record a few more if it is of any interest but then again there are good arrangements of the first games and to be honest the WAVs sounds better on 7-9.

Also for some content, mah meager stash!

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

amuayse posted:

Just curious, are there any characters based on non-Eastern mythological figures?

The Prismrivers are from some unnamed western country I think.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nages posted:

The Prismrivers are from some unnamed western country I think.

Finland? :v:

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Poland

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

amuayse posted:

Wakasagihime, Kagerou, and Sekibanki are sorta non-eastern, being a mermaid, a werewolf, and a dullahan sorta kinda.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 30, 2014

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

AdorableStar posted:

I have $4 availible to spend so it looks like I can't get it. :rip:

Welp. When you got some more cash, just let me know.

Also, I'd like to make another book sometime, it's just a matter of finding the time to write it...

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Not Dave posted:

Okay, I must have missed that entirely or not been in the subs I watched. That explains it completely. Thank you.

Could I see the image in question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

Not a character per sé, but Remilia's pet chupacabra is from South America.

Elliotw2 posted:

Sekibanki

Sekibanki's a bit of a weird case because everything refers her as a rokurokubi and her long snake-like bullets are meant to represent the rokurokubi's elongated necks, but still pulls a Dullahan. But then again ZUN occasionally mixes mythologies, like Yoshika being initially a Jiang Shi, then ending up more zombie-like and having a mummy-like theme.