Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Don Lapre posted:

Glad i got the metal band for the pebble. Not having to worry about water is a godsend

Sup pebble buddy :hfive:

There's also a pebble thread here if you didn't know but it's pretty dead

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544743

My gf got me one with the same band and it's pretty dang sweet. At first I thought it was dumb and the whole concept of a smartwatch until I started looking into it. Removing the links on that metal band is a bitch though. I didn't mind the leather band but yeah, water. Also there's a silicone option if you want - http://wearablesarena.com/pebble-waterproof-strap/

Anyways yeah this thing rules and I'm really digging the functionality of it and how simple it is (Especially with a jailbroken phone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Anyone know what the lightbulb with a slash in the center of the dial means on a Moto 360? All my settings are correct. It seems to affect notifications somehow?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Anyone know what the lightbulb with a slash in the center of the dial means on a Moto 360? All my settings are correct. It seems to affect notifications somehow?

I think it's theater mode. Pull down and scroll right.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Three Olives posted:

If you are looking for the Surge Target had them when I bought my Charge HR but it's the same with the Charge HR, it's not "officially out", there is just haphazard stock in some stores.

Walmart has them too. I picked up the charge hr this Friday, and did my first insanity max 30 workout today with it on. Exactly what I was looking for.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Len posted:

I think it's theater mode. Pull down and scroll right.
You are correct. Thank you.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Somewhat related, setting Cinema Mode (or "Theatre" for the yanks) on will cause the 360 screen to switch off on the dock, which can be helpful if you don't actually use it as a desk clock and would rather it charge faster and not risk any screen burn.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Got about 175 hours on the first charge with my Pebble Steel. You should buy one

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tunga posted:

Somewhat related, setting Cinema Mode (or "Theatre" for the yanks) on will cause the 360 screen to switch off on the dock, which can be helpful if you don't actually use it as a desk clock and would rather it charge faster and not risk any screen burn.

Excuse me, it's "theater".

But this is good to know. I might be getting a 360 for Christmas, and my wife hates any light in the room, so this would get rid of that concern.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I've just come into a minor bonus and so am thinking of upping from a regular G watch to an R ( or maybe a moto ) - purely based on style ( I know the guts apart from the screens are all more or less the same ).

What's holding me back from pulling the trigger on a round-face is I've read that Wear is not designed for round, and so many apps are not compatible. Is that accurate? Is there a site that lists what is/is not compatible with round ( or is square only )? What kind of a "loss" are we talking about here, garbage apps so who cares?

Generally speaking, I don't really know WHAT my regular use case scenario is, except to use it for notifications and/or replying to texts while driving ( and I suppose maps as well ).

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
gently caress the po,

Got my moto360 early, and after spending 3 hours updating, twiddling and loving about its rad as gently caress.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

TollTheHounds posted:

I've just come into a minor bonus and so am thinking of upping from a regular G watch to an R ( or maybe a moto ) - purely based on style ( I know the guts apart from the screens are all more or less the same ).

What's holding me back from pulling the trigger on a round-face is I've read that Wear is not designed for round, and so many apps are not compatible. Is that accurate? Is there a site that lists what is/is not compatible with round ( or is square only )? What kind of a "loss" are we talking about here, garbage apps so who cares?

Generally speaking, I don't really know WHAT my regular use case scenario is, except to use it for notifications and/or replying to texts while driving ( and I suppose maps as well ).

The roundness really doesn't detract from anything. I don't use any third party apps but if some text is near the edge you can just "pull" it to the middle if really necessary (it's not). 360 fanboys were making that into more of an issue as rationalization for their flat tire.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Reverse Centaur posted:

The roundness really doesn't detract from anything. I don't use any third party apps but if some text is near the edge you can just "pull" it to the middle if really necessary (it's not). 360 fanboys were making that into more of an issue as rationalization for their flat tire.

I really thought the flat tire was going to bother the hell out of me, but I guess I just don't notice it anymore.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Losing my custom Pujie Black watch face just because I switched phones really sucks. I must have worked on it for at least 30 minutes. There needs to have some sort of save face feature on Android Wear, especially since Pujie Black has so many options now.

Takoluka posted:

I really thought the flat tire was going to bother the hell out of me, but I guess I just don't notice it anymore.

The screen display time was the dealbreaker for me, but I never got used to the flat tire either. I thought I would.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

Excuse me, it's "theater".
I should know better, used to work for a company that made UK software in the US, spent days of my life getting these kinds of spellings changed to the UK versions :) .

quote:

But this is good to know. I might be getting a 360 for Christmas, and my wife hates any light in the room, so this would get rid of that concern.
Something else you should know: the charger has soft white LED to indicate that the watch is charging. It's extremely feint and it is angled down so what it actually does it make a tiny white dot on the desk that you have it on. So may or may not represent a problem, and you could easily stick some blutack (or whatever you guys call it :P) or tape over that.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I got a Pebble as a gift and I'm trying to figure out if I want to keep it or not. I don't really need a smart watch, all I would be interested in is checking notifications and messages, control of Google Music/Amazon music/Spotify, Google now updates, and turn by turn directions.

It sounds like the first three I can setup with Pebble, but the last one I would prefer if it could show me a map and not just the instruction. I could probably live without it since I got a car mount for my phone though. Is there any Google Wear killer app I'd be missing out on?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

WhyteRyce posted:

I got a Pebble as a gift and I'm trying to figure out if I want to keep it or not. I don't really need a smart watch, all I would be interested in is checking notifications and messages, control of Google Music/Amazon music/Spotify, Google now updates, and turn by turn directions.

It sounds like the first three I can setup with Pebble, but the last one I would prefer if it could show me a map and not just the instruction. I could probably live without it since I got a car mount for my phone though. Is there any Google Wear killer app I'd be missing out on?

You will miss out on daily charging.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

There's music boss that's android only and I'm pretty sure there's a pebble gps app for android. There's pebbgps which requires an app that's like $1 for ios. I wouldn't use the pebble for any navigation besides walking

Check the pebble subreddit

The pebble is pretty no frills and I never thought I'd use one but I like mine (got it as a gift as well). It's pretty much ideal for just checking notifications and messages and for people who don't need all the crazy features. Trade off is awesome battery life.

Jailbreak unlocks some nice features which I'm sure are standard on android or you need to be rooted w/e. Being able to send pre-formatted texts is cool. Smartwatch+ is a must

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 27, 2014

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

You will miss out on daily charging.

Hey, I can go a whole two days with my G Watch. :colbert:

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Is there some sort of getting started with Pebble programming that goes beyond the "first watch face" phase? Namely, I'm confused as hell about the whole JavaScript / C thing and how to submit http requests.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

People liking the pebble over the 360?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Khelmar posted:

Is there some sort of getting started with Pebble programming that goes beyond the "first watch face" phase? Namely, I'm confused as hell about the whole JavaScript / C thing and how to submit http requests.

Droid or iOS? Get smartwatch+ it has http requests. Not sure if you need to be jailbroken for it or not on iOS. There's guides for setting it up online but it does seem pretty technical. What are you trying to do?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I've just got a pebble.

I'd like an app for it that works with my iPhone, where I can define a point on a map and the watch just shows me distance and direction to that point.

I found one app for this but it seems to only work with an app available on android do you dudes have any better ideas?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Pissflaps posted:

I've just got a pebble.

I'd like an app for it that works with my iPhone, where I can define a point on a map and the watch just shows me distance and direction to that point.

I found one app for this but it seems to only work with an app available on android do you dudes have any better ideas?

What's the Android app called?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kameh posted:

What's the Android app called?

This is what it says I'm not exactly sure ?

I just want to be like Ripley finding Newt in Aliens.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
And is there an app for displaying notes I make in the default Apple notes app?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

For iOS there's pebbgps which you could just mark a point on your map and then have it route. There's also a app called "get back - directions to a stored location" but I don't think you can set the location without being there

Pissflaps posted:

And is there an app for displaying notes I make in the default Apple notes app?

Smartwatch+ shows the ones under reminders. There is an Evernote app though if you want to use that

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah I use Evernote a lot so might just go with it I just tend to stick quick notes - the ones I'd be most likely to want on my wrist - in the stock notes app.

And thanks for the gps recommendation but really what I want is just the arrow and distance as its for countryside walking rather than routing along streets. Maybe it doesn't exist on iOS.

Yes I am a picky fucker. Really enjoying this pebble though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Smartwatch+ can display GPS coordinates but yeah that's all I've seen

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Got a pebble, it's pretty great, especially with the android wear notification integration. Two things though. Is there an app that provides similar functionality to smartwatch+ on android? I saw awear, but was a little hesitant to give it my google sign in stuff.

The second thing is an issue I've been running into frequently. I find that once or twice a day the apps/watch faces lose the ability to get data updates (for example, weather or Evernote stuff) despite still maintaining the phone connection and the phone still being able to pull data. The only way I've found that reliably fixes it is to restart the phone, as restarting the pebble or disconnecting and reconnecting to the phone in various ways don't work. Any ideas as to what might be going on?

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

Christoff posted:

Droid or iOS? Get smartwatch+ it has http requests. Not sure if you need to be jailbroken for it or not on iOS. There's guides for setting it up online but it does seem pretty technical. What are you trying to do?

iOS. I found a watch face I really like (ninety_hank) that has published the source. However, it can't find the current timezone, so it depends on you entering the offsets from the current time to give different time zones. I'd rather have UTC automatically calculated wherever I am. Same for sunrise and sunset. So, I figured I'd have the Pebble geolocate when the hour changes, send that as a request to Google, and get the correct time zone from there, then use that info to calculate the UTC offset. Trouble is, I can't find good example code for the geolocation to start with.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Khelmar posted:

iOS. I found a watch face I really like (ninety_hank) that has published the source. However, it can't find the current timezone, so it depends on you entering the offsets from the current time to give different time zones. I'd rather have UTC automatically calculated wherever I am. Same for sunrise and sunset. So, I figured I'd have the Pebble geolocate when the hour changes, send that as a request to Google, and get the correct time zone from there, then use that info to calculate the UTC offset. Trouble is, I can't find good example code for the geolocation to start with.

Do you want to print the current timezone or just tell the current time? localtime() will get you the current local time, a la http://developer.getpebble.com/getting-started/watchface-tutorial/part1/

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

Evil Robot posted:

Do you want to print the current timezone or just tell the current time? localtime() will get you the current local time, a la http://developer.getpebble.com/getting-started/watchface-tutorial/part1/

Right, but there's no way to get UTC (there's a function, but right now it just returns local time). So to find UTC, I need to know the current timezone offset from UTC, which is what I'd be calculating from the location.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Getting to grips with my Moto 360 and want an app (paid/free) for running jogging that also tracks your distance? Any other info, like heart rate, charts, would be a bonus.

Phone is a Nexus 4.

What do you recommend?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

spookygonk posted:

Getting to grips with my Moto 360 and want an app (paid/free) for running jogging that also tracks your distance? Any other info, like heart rate, charts, would be a bonus.

Phone is a Nexus 4.

What do you recommend?

Strava. I use it for cycling, and it's nice to just tell my watch "ok google, start a bike ride." I believe "start a run" works too.

I use a g watch while working out, though, since i dont want to dirty the 360.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

So I need a watch for work, and what better than a smart watch? I have a Note 3, should I concider a Gear or a Gear 2 they've been on sale for $75 and $150 respectively lately and I haven't bitten since I didn't know if there was better options out there. I REALLY like the idea of a camera on my wrist and an IR blaster for a remote on my watch that my 2 year old cannot lose.

But I assume that the Galaxy Gear series being only compatible with Samsung phones means there's limited 3rd party support for non-Samsung apps. So is there a pro's vs. Con's list for them or suggestions for better options for android phones that have come out? or an effort post someone can point me to?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Do not get a Gear unless you hate yourself, there is basically zero support for them.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

That's what I assumed. I'm not married to Samsung anyway, I just really like my giant screen real estate, but I liked HTC better back in the day. Hopefully they will come out with a monster screen phone on Sprint by the time I have an upgrade available.

So is there an android wear watch that's the current darling?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RodShaft posted:

That's what I assumed. I'm not married to Samsung anyway, I just really like my giant screen real estate, but I liked HTC better back in the day. Hopefully they will come out with a monster screen phone on Sprint by the time I have an upgrade available.

So is there an android wear watch that's the current darling?

I'm partial, but the 360 is still the best bet in my opinion.

It looks good, performs well, and the naysayers bitching about battery life either don't actually own one or play on it all day long.

I put my 360 on at 5:30am and typically take it off when I get home from the office at about 8pm, and it's still at 40-50% battery life remaining. It is 3PM right now, I've had it on for 9.5 hours, and I'm at 67% battery life. I've use it to send texts, make calls, navigate, control music in the car, and read texts while in meetings.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Is anybody here using an Android Wear watch specifically with the intent of heavily tracking heart rate? I know that's really not the purpose of them and that's more of an added feature. My wife has (very mild, but worthy of watching) heart problems, and we're trying to keep a closer eye on her heart rate than, "Hey, how do you feel right now? Okay, good." So we're looking at options.

Obviously, Fitbit has their two new devices due out soon, both with a strong focus on the heart monitoring capabilities. I really like how their app looks as well, and it very clearly provides the data we want access to. On the flip side of things, she and I have discussed at length, and she feels that she's not active enough to justify using a device like a Fitbit, and loves all the Android Wear functionality, but I've not been able to find an app that provides semi-continuous monitoring and does graphing (and maybe exports). So we're in between a rock and a hard place.

She really likes the look of the Moto 360, and I've gotten my hands on one through a coworker, and it seems to provide what she wants in a smartwatch, but I'm not positive on the heart monitoring. It looks like the 360 only does heart rate checking every 5 minutes, and I'm not seeing any clear indication on if there's a way to force it to check more frequently via the API. I'm a programmer by trade, so if that functionality exists, I could do the development myself on a simple implementation, but I'd obviously prefer an existing, well-recommended app that other people have used.

So I guess this is multiple questions: Does anybody have experience with Android Wear heart monitoring? Does the Moto 360 work alright for that purpose? Is there a recommended app to do the realtime and historical tracking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

G-Prime posted:

Is anybody here using an Android Wear watch specifically with the intent of heavily tracking heart rate? I know that's really not the purpose of them and that's more of an added feature. My wife has (very mild, but worthy of watching) heart problems, and we're trying to keep a closer eye on her heart rate than, "Hey, how do you feel right now? Okay, good." So we're looking at options.

Obviously, Fitbit has their two new devices due out soon, both with a strong focus on the heart monitoring capabilities. I really like how their app looks as well, and it very clearly provides the data we want access to. On the flip side of things, she and I have discussed at length, and she feels that she's not active enough to justify using a device like a Fitbit, and loves all the Android Wear functionality, but I've not been able to find an app that provides semi-continuous monitoring and does graphing (and maybe exports). So we're in between a rock and a hard place.

She really likes the look of the Moto 360, and I've gotten my hands on one through a coworker, and it seems to provide what she wants in a smartwatch, but I'm not positive on the heart monitoring. It looks like the 360 only does heart rate checking every 5 minutes, and I'm not seeing any clear indication on if there's a way to force it to check more frequently via the API. I'm a programmer by trade, so if that functionality exists, I could do the development myself on a simple implementation, but I'd obviously prefer an existing, well-recommended app that other people have used.

So I guess this is multiple questions: Does anybody have experience with Android Wear heart monitoring? Does the Moto 360 work alright for that purpose? Is there a recommended app to do the realtime and historical tracking?

The 360, and every other android wear watch that I know of all suck at being a HRM.