Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Not sure if this place but how do you end up with cattle as opposed to pets? How do create an application or where it doesn't matter if crashes and you just re-create it?

Tab8715 posted:

Will this eventually become standard in application development? It seems like a great concept.

A few things.

As usual, I agree with Misogynist. Not ALL software should work this way. The method shines when you're talking about "web scale" stuff that has to be able to handle millions of requests per day. It can be beneficial in other situations but for super high scale apps, distributed systems are often the only viable design. As to whether it will become the standard, if you are working at web scale, then it is already the standard. Companies that aren't doing these things are either failing, or succeeding in spite of themselves--and will eat poo poo when a faster, learner competitor enters the market.

Funny enough, there was a timely article on this in the DevOps Weekly newsletter today: How to start learning high scalability. The author is Brazilian so it's a little hard to parse but he provides a lot of good links to further reading. DevOps Weekly is a good newsletter and I recommend anyone interested in these topics subscribe. There's zero spam involved. Another site, High Scalability is a great blog that does case studies on how many incredibly popular websites or mobile apps function behind the scenes.

The 12 Factor App link minato posted is outstanding and even if you disagree with individual points (like using env vars for all config), on the whole it is a good quick summary of what we're talking about.

Finally, ask your boss to buy you a copy of The Practice of Cloud System Administration (not a referral link). It just came out this year and I'm working my way through it now. It's an outstanding high-level guide to concepts like "cattle vs pets", distributed systems, cloud computing, ~~~~~DevOps~~~~~ and so on. It's a very wide and moderately deep book with jumping off points for anything you really want to dig into further.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Well my problem of Linux bridging not working in Hyper-V turned out be a simple checkbox. Turn on "Enable MAC address spoofing" in the advanced features of the VM nic and BAM! it works.

Now to get that day back I spent troubleshooting this....... :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
It's a miracle. I somehow managed to talk sense into my CIO, and got him to take a look at oVirt. Thank you all so much for your help and links.
I think he finally understands the difference between, and the fact that we pretty much only have, pets not cattle.
He's still adamant about implementing Openstack, just not for everything (or at this point anything).
It's oVirt for pets, OS for cattle. I told him that it's fine because the two can play together nicely.
Now he wants a plan for making it happen. So I have about a week or so to learn both oVirt and Openstack, and get them to share resources. :smith:
It's not going to be pretty, but at least I don't have to worry about having to deal with a massacre of pets in openstack.

That being said, do you know of any good articles on oVert and Openstack convergence?
So far I've only looked at http://www.ovirt.org/Features/OSN_Integration (updated today)

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So I have about a week or so to learn both oVirt and Openstack, and get them to share resources. :smith:

This will end well :suspense:

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

a massacre of pets

This is an excellent turn of phrase to describe what is about to happen to you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So I have about a week or so to learn both oVirt and Openstack, and get them to share resources. :smith:

:stonklol:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Why aren't you just using VMware again? Or hell, Hyper-V or XenServer if the situation is really that dire. Just send him some fluff whitepapers or whatever the gently caress he read to make him think oVirt and Openstack was a good fit for your organization. Or better yet, find a new job. Jesus Christ.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's a miracle. I somehow managed to talk sense into my CIO, and got him to take a look at oVirt. Thank you all so much for your help and links.
I think he finally understands the difference between, and the fact that we pretty much only have, pets not cattle.
He's still adamant about implementing Openstack, just not for everything (or at this point anything).
It's oVirt for pets, OS for cattle. I told him that it's fine because the two can play together nicely.
Now he wants a plan for making it happen. So I have about a week or so to learn both oVirt and Openstack, and get them to share resources. :smith:
It's not going to be pretty, but at least I don't have to worry about having to deal with a massacre of pets in openstack.

That being said, do you know of any good articles on oVert and Openstack convergence?
So far I've only looked at http://www.ovirt.org/Features/OSN_Integration (updated today)

What size are you?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Bitch Stewie posted:

What size are you?

'Bout a sixteen, sixteen and a half?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've got some physical servers that I'm having a hard time virtualizing because they use stuff like parallel ports or DVI video outputs. How difficult is this kind of thing?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What do these servers do? Not everything is a candidate for virtualisation.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got some physical servers that I'm having a hard time virtualizing because they use stuff like parallel ports or DVI video outputs. How difficult is this kind of thing?
Any reasonably recent server (as in, within the last five years or so) will support direct PCIe device passthrough in ESXi, though you'll want to dedicate a card, and this will pin the VM to the physical machine containing that card. If you add a USB to parallel dongle to the server, it can be passed through to the VM and also accessed over IP, so you can continue to vMotion it around like a normal VM as long as the system holding the device remains powered on and online. (This kind of makes vMotioning the VM useless for any reason besides DRS in a resource crunch.)

Thanks Ants posted:

A lot more now than they used to be, I think. Even very CPU-intensive systems are often going to stop short of taking up the 20+ cores you see on modern 1U/2U servers, though unless you're getting a high enough density, multiple physical servers might still be cheaper than the vSphere licensing.

I'm guessing something with a parallel port dongle is a very legacy application, though, not something especially resource-intensive.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 30, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I did not know about USB devices being shared around via IP, that's very handy.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I did not know about USB devices being shared around via IP, that's very handy.
The basically-useless crap you remember from a 4.0 VCP.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Misogynist posted:

A lot more now than they used to be, I think. Even very CPU-intensive systems are often going to stop short of taking up the 20+ cores you see on modern 1U/2U servers, though unless you're getting a high enough density, multiple physical servers might still be cheaper than the vSphere licensing.
You can always use the free version of esxi for some of these systems. Abstracting the guest from the physical hardware is certainly nice.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Thanks Ants posted:

I've got a variety of things, some is old loving legacy software that wants to talk via RS-232 or computers that only exist to play a 20 second video on loop forever and output it to a DVI cable.

I'm thinking the best option will be to replace these 10 year old, full tower PCs with small form factor PCs that exactly the outputs I need.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The RS-232 stuff might be replaceable with something like

http://www.brainboxes.com/ethernet-to-serial

As far as the computer is concerned once the drivers are installed it's a hardware serial port. With the exception I think of dumping voltage across serial pins, check first.

Stuff that loops video I'd probably look to replace with a digital signage player.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

teamdest posted:

This is an excellent turn of phrase to describe what is about to happen to you.
It was that or 'sending my pets to the slaughterhouse'

Internet Explorer posted:

Why aren't you just using VMware again? Or hell, Hyper-V or XenServer if the situation is really that dire. Just send him some fluff whitepapers or whatever the gently caress he read to make him think oVirt and Openstack was a good fit for your organization. Or better yet, find a new job. Jesus Christ.
I can sum all that up in one word: Politics.
He will absolutely not use any of those 3 and he refuses to give any argument as to why.
:yotj:

Bitch Stewie posted:

What size are you?
That we went from around 400 users to about 120 in the course of about a month. But we could be back up to 500 in 2 months. We might also not exist in 2 weeks. Who the gently caress knows, this place is a poo poo show.

I have another question for you virtualization gurus.
Would it be better to virtualize one Windows Domain Controller taking advantage of oVirt's high availability or stick to Windows Server Failover Clustering between 2 separate domain controllers on identical hardware?
I obviously don't have time to test one versus the other and I'm just fishing around for use cases or at least a more experienced opinion.

Edit: I forgot to mention I'll be using Server 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 31, 2014

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Would it be better to virtualize one Windows Domain Controller taking advantage of oVirt's high availability or stick to Windows Server Failover Clustering between 2 separate domain controllers on identical hardware?
I obviously don't have time to test one versus the other and I'm just fishing around for use cases or at least a more experienced opinion.
Two separate domain controllers whether virtual or physical is going to be better than one. Unless something changed recently AD services don't run on Failover Clusters anyway.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I can sum all that up in one word: Politics.
He will absolutely not use any of those 3 and he refuses to give any argument as to why.
:yotj:

Show him articles about how AWS runs on XenServer (close enough) . Or just find a new job, like you mentioned. I can't imagine working for someone that dumb.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

My old boss refused to let me buy VMware licenses for our in-house dev/qa environment, even Essentials Plus (which would have been sufficient, it was a tiny shop). Instead we ran Google Ganeti with a bunch of mirrored DRBD volumes acting as "shared storage". If you're asking "wtf is Ganeti?"... exactly. It was a total bitch to use, lacked basic management features, often lost data or got out of sync, etc. I'm sure it runs great in-house at Google, where they have the devs who wrote it on staff and the resources to keep it up, but I was just one dude. I don't even remember what his beef was with VMware. Some bug in the ESX 3.5 era caused the site to go down so clearly it was untrustworthy poo poo and never again would he give them money. He had a bunch of hangups like that. "Oh one time the SAN firmware upgrade didn't go well, so we will never upgrade it again ever. Even if the vendor repeatedly warns us that there's a critical bug that is known to cause data loss." And so on.

The kicker was that production DID run VMware (although it was 3 hosts on Essentials Plus and one standalone because they wouldn't spring for Standard licenses :rolleyes:). So we had two totally separate platforms to write tooling for and maintain. I am 100% certain we spent way more on my salaried time propping up the lovely Ganeti cluster than a pack of Essentials Plus licenses would have cost. And when there were problems, it's not like I could really ask anyone for help. Because there's 5 other people on earth outside of Google who run Ganeti.

We also ran one app at AWS that he insisted needed to maintain 100% uptime and was super mission critical. Yet he would only allow me to boot one instance at a time, in one availability zone. Then when Amazon had a minor outage and the site was down for 20 minutes, it was somehow my fault.

Some people are just irrational and have not kept up with modern trends and best practices. Or they go too far in the other direction, and see Google/Facebook/Amazon doing something so clearly that's the best practice for a 10 employee company, too. They are not fun to work for (so I don't anymore :yotj:).

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 31, 2014

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
I am so glad I have a boss who trusts my judgement.

Not to say I always get it right but some of the stuff on this thread, hell just this one page, is just so hosed up words fail me.

The bit I'm curious about with all these hair-brained antics is do management (by which I mean business management) actually know what these idiots are doing and that they're putting the business at (varying levels of) risk with some of the insanity over either weird irrational prejudices or to save a few $$$?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Bitch Stewie posted:

I am so glad I have a boss who trusts my judgement.

Not to say I always get it right but some of the stuff on this thread, hell just this one page, is just so hosed up words fail me.

The bit I'm curious about with all these hair-brained antics is do management (by which I mean business management) actually know what these idiots are doing and that they're putting the business at (varying levels of) risk with some of the insanity over either weird irrational prejudices or to save a few $$$?

No. In my experience all they hear is :words:
Also, in the long run, it always costs more money to deal with a hosed up, Frankenstein-ed, amalgamation of free beta and RC solutions than it does to implement a tried and true stable platform that costs a few bucks.

Politics in technology is one thing I will never understand.
Denying one version/fork of anything because you have some irrational grudge against devs from 20 years ago, or because it is not the 'one true linux' is stupid and dangerous.

On-topic: I have no idea what I'm doing. Tonight I'm going to celebrate the new year. Tomorrow I'll be tackling the virtualization of Windows.
I'm shooting for a clustered Domain Controller virtualized on oVirt.
It is my understanding that in a virtualized windows environment the AD is the weak point. So I need to read up on how to deploy and manage an AD-detached cluster in a VM. Then I get to figure out how to make the AD VM as robust as possible.

This slideshow seems like a good place to start.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
AD in a virtual environment is simple so long as you don't do anything dumb.

Run your DCs on different hosts and make sure your hosts and your PDC Emulator are pulling time from an external NTP source (unless you're on of those shops who have an internal switch do it or something).

Time is the thing that seems to (still) catch people out with virtual and AD - get the time right and the rest looks after itself.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'll just nth that I have no idea what you're talking about when you say clustered DC is. The basic design of Active Directory is redundant, you just stand up as many Domain controllers as you feel you need. Two is a minimum, but depending on things you could need more. AD doesn't depend on any single domain controller being up (assuming you don't hardcode some third party product to point directly at a specific DC) it just depends on A domain controller to be up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

FISHMANPET posted:

I'll just nth that I have no idea what you're talking about when you say clustered DC is. The basic design of Active Directory is redundant, you just stand up as many Domain controllers as you feel you need. Two is a minimum, but depending on things you could need more.
I mean setting up a failover cluster for some of our services like SQL, DNS, and the print server. Yes it's that important and holy poo poo I want to set fire to every printer in the building.

FISHMANPET posted:

AD doesn't depend on any single domain controller being up (assuming you don't hardcode some third party product to point directly at a specific DC) it just depends on A domain controller to be up.
You just made me realize that there might be an EMR application setup in such a way, and it's completely out of my control.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I would just advise to walk before you run. Failover clustering isn't that hard, at least not on paper, but I wouldn't say it's step 1. First make sure your existing stuff isn't all hosed and that you have the skill to unfuck it, and then move on to clustering.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean setting up a failover cluster for some of our services like SQL, DNS, and the print server. Yes it's that important and holy poo poo I want to set fire to every printer in the building.

You just made me realize that there might be an EMR application setup in such a way, and it's completely out of my control.

Not sure why you would cluster DNS, it's pretty much designed from the ground up to be redundant. On the print server unless you really need the uptime, HA through your hypervisor should be enough. SQL AlwaysOn clustering is included with a Standard license (active/passive, also need a witness server for automated failover), but if you want to use the new AlwaysOn Database Groups you will need an Enterprise license.

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but you sound rather in-over-your-head.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Edit: I forgot to mention I'll be using Server 2012

This isn't even a virtualization question, more of a MS best practices question and both responses you gave as possible answers are wrong. The correct answer is two completely separate domain controllers (No microsoft cluster bullshit) hardware be damned. Expecting to leverage some VM HA/windows clustering HA is just borrowing trouble.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

On-topic: I have no idea what I'm doing. Tonight I'm going to celebrate the new year. Tomorrow I'll be tackling the virtualization of Windows.
I'm shooting for a clustered Domain Controller virtualized on oVirt.
It is my understanding that in a virtualized windows environment the AD is the weak point. So I need to read up on how to deploy and manage an AD-detached cluster in a VM. Then I get to figure out how to make the AD VM as robust as possible.

loving hell don't shotgun this.

Do you have a domain controller already? If yes:

1. Build new server, join the domain.
2. Sort the time options: Google is your friend. Last I read the current practice is install vmtools or what the gently caress ever retarded off brand virtualization you are using, have it pull from the ESX server and have ESX pull from an external NTP source. I use the US Navies :sun:. Microsofts is good too.
3. Install active directory/DNS/DHCP/whatever.
4. Seize dem roles
5. Build another new server, steps 1-3 again.
6. Decommission old server.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Microsoft Failover clustering is a big fat loving waste of time and money 95% of the time. DNS will take care of itself (It's designed to if you install it on multiple servers). Print server failover cluster is stupid and dumb. And I admittedly couldn't be arsed to do it for SQL in a virtual environment either considering my Stopped not running state to fully online and serving data is in the sub minute range when virtualized and how daffy Microsoft failover clustering can be.

EDIT: Seconding the "In way over your head" thing. And the fact that you aren't even going to do it all with well documented (read licensed) toolsets is just barfy as gently caress. Excuse me while I vmotion some poo poo around just because I can. *right clicks*

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 31, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhymenoserous posted:

EDIT: Seconding the "In way over your head" thing.

Thirding this. See last page: "I'm just a lowly helpdesk monkey."
I'm basically being given a list of wants by my CIO and being told to make it happen.

Thanks for the basic sysadmin advice, all. I'm going to start with one and go from there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rhymenoserous posted:

. And I admittedly couldn't be arsed to do it for SQL in a virtual environment either considering my Stopped not running state to fully online and serving data is in the sub minute range when virtualized and how daffy Microsoft failover clustering can be.

It significantly increases your maintenance windows for patching though. SQL should be down while you are running the patches for safety and the subsequent reboots will be longer. With a cluster, its simply patch the passive and then fail over into it and fail back if there are issues. Should take less than 30 seconds. If the application layer is robust enough, end users may not even notice.

As always, depends on the use case. Our SQL servers aren't really good candidates for virtualization anyways so clustering is a must. One day I would love to have two clusters in two data centers with an availability group between them for more redundancy, but that environment needs a bit more building.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Based on what I think I know about your organization, you should probably just setup two virtual DCs and let everything else get HA from the virtualization layer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Rhymenoserous posted:

2. Sort the time options: Google is your friend. Last I read the current practice is install vmtools or what the gently caress ever retarded off brand virtualization you are using, have it pull from the ESX server and have ESX pull from an external NTP source. I use the US Navies :sun:. Microsofts is good too.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1318

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

adorai posted:

Based on what I think I know about your organization, you should probably just setup two virtual DCs and let everything else get HA from the virtualization layer.

That's what I'll be doing (and in a roundabout way what I was asking in the first place) provided that virtualization goes well.
Best part is I could probably just tell my boss that I set up his precious failover cluster and he'd never know. I won't, but I could.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Hi, I'm too lazy to read most of the backlog of posts that I missed over the last two weeks of vacation, but I work on both Openstack and oVirt/RHEV, so I'll make a few comments...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The decision has come down that we will be using OpenStack managed by Foreman.
Foreman's certainly up to the task, and there's a foreman installer available for openstack (codename staypuft), but I wouldn't use it in VM deployment as anything other than a fancy puppetmaster.

Do you have someone who knows puppet? If not, don't use Foreman. Use ManageIQ.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No. I'll check out oVirt tonight. RHEV is out of the question though. Every time I show him something that costs any amount of money, he wants all of those features, but for free.
oVirt is RHEV's upstream, at least, which you've probably discovered by now, but they're very comparable except for opening support cases.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm not. We're talking about a man who migrates mission critical things to the latest Release Candidate of Centos, every time one drops.
Judging from the number of bugs I've already filed against EL7.0 as someone who works on products that run on top of it, you may want to suggest that he not do this. Release candidates are about as stable as the actual released version most of the time, but wait for the first Z-stream release (7.0.1, 6.6.1, whatever).

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Glance integration is also a thing.

There aren't any really good articles on convergence (because we're not really converging, mostly because oVirt/RHEV use a management framework called vdsm which openstack has no interest in picking up and using), though there are some parts that are getting pulled out. If it were me, I'd probably use ManageIQ and Foreman combined. Then:

Install CentOS on two (or however many) nodes. Install oVirt on them. Configure and install the oVirt hosted engine (which runs on the nodes like vSphere).
Install the Neutron Virtual Appliance.
Configure Neutron as a network provider for oVirt.
Either add Keystone to the hosted engine or the Neutron appliance.

At which point you can split the remaining services up.

Use 2+ nodes for Nova.

If you're using a Linux box for storage for oVirt (iscsi, NFS, gluster, whatever), use that for Swift, Cinder, and Glance. Add it to oVirt as a Glance provider.
If you're not, run these services on the Nova nodes.
Build and import (or download and import) images into Glance for Openstack to use. You can import these into oVirt as templates if you want, or treat oVirt as traditional, non-templated virt.

Pretty much it.

Unless you're really planning on scaling out into a "cloud" shop (which, as noted, requires a ton of prep), though, I'd probably just use oVirt with Foreman (which also has integration), and use that to create VMs on the fly (as much as you may need them on the fly), maybe with some templates and trivial Python scripts. You can create VMs with the REST API, too, but I haven't actually used it, and it looks pretty ugly for now. But if you use Linux all over the place, you've got Python. Just use that. Here are some examples.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm using Veeam in an environment and fairly new to the application. There is one proxy with 3 ESXI hosts running version 7 with about 30 VMs. I didn't set this up so I need to do some rip and replacing and upgrade to v8.

In the meantime I'm trying to understand what is causing VMWare to take "forever" in removing snapshots after a veeam job "finishes," and what I can focus on to speed up the process. After the veeam job finishes we find that we still have to consoliate the disks afterwards. Running ESXI 5.5U1 if that matters.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm using Veeam in an environment and fairly new to the application. There is one proxy with 3 ESXI hosts running version 7 with about 30 VMs. I didn't set this up so I need to do some rip and replacing and upgrade to v8.

In the meantime I'm trying to understand what is causing VMWare to take "forever" in removing snapshots after a veeam job "finishes," and what I can focus on to speed up the process. After the veeam job finishes we find that we still have to consoliate the disks afterwards. Running ESXI 5.5U1 if that matters.
Removing snapshots involves consolidation of the deltas into the source disk, so if you're experiencing a high amount of latency there I'd suspect an I/O starvation on your backend storage as the most likely culprit, especially if you're backing up very busy volumes. Ensure you have the spare I/O to handle the disk consolidation, or try to do your consolidation during periods where the disk is less busy. On older (non-VAAI) storage there can also be latency issues related to metadata updates, which require locks on the cluster filesystem, especially if you have a lot of thin-provisioned volumes that are constantly growing. If you have 30 VMs on the same datastore, try moving some to another datastore and see if the issue continues as severely.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 4, 2015

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
So I moved moved a VM from one host to another using Vcenter, updated my Veeam scheduled back up and everything worked great. except now I have two 'branches' of backups for one VM which caused me to run out of disk space on my NAS.

Backup Task 1
---Back up at Old Host 7 retention points
---Back up at New Host 6 retention points

When I try to remove the old retention points from disk it fails with an "Failed to flush file buffers" error message then tells me to dig through the log file. Can I just go into my NAS and nuke .vdk and .vib files that I don't care about? or will that corrupt the Veeam database?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

That should be fine as long as you rescan the backup repository, but you really should open a support case with Veeam so that A) they can make sure it's done the right way and B) they are made aware of their software doing dumb things. Veeam has improved a lot in the past couple of years, but they can't keep improving unless they know what is wrong with their product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Erwin posted:

That should be fine as long as you rescan the backup repository, but you really should open a support case with Veeam so that A) they can make sure it's done the right way and B) they are made aware of their software doing dumb things. Veeam has improved a lot in the past couple of years, but they can't keep improving unless they know what is wrong with their product.

That seemed to do the trick. Thanks