Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

posh spaz posted:

I tried contests. I had one dark strong entered in a Belgian only contest. I got comments back like "best beer of the flight, hands down. amazing. but, tastes like a barleywine so you lose really hard."

it was like euro pils malt, d2 and a belgian yeast. don't know how it could have been more Belgian.

That's like mine - it's d45, belgian pils, belgian aromatic and belgian special b malts!

Also the guy asking about ferm chambers - I have two that fit 2x 30L fermenters in :D my housemates would complain but they get free beer so they don't lol.

Also for Brisgoons, I checked out the Newstead Brewing Co today up at Fortitude Valley. Very good. Food was top notch, I recommend the Cuban sandwich or the buffalo wings. We did a tasting paddle of 4x 200ml beers which was about $12, their growlers are $12.50 and $18/ea to fill up. Good atmosphere, well worth a look if you're ever in the city. Also I hear Green Beacon is good but I've yet to check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Vulturesrow homebrew #1 after one week in the bottle. Solid taste. Man I am excited.

e: correct picture linked note

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 27, 2014

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

vulturesrow posted:

Vulturesrow homebrew #1 after one week in the bottle. Solid taste. Man I am excited.

Say goodbye to your wallet because from this point on your equipment will never be good or plentiful enough.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

vulturesrow posted:

years from now you will look into your brew-shed/room, at several shelves of fermenters, bottles, and various equipment, a keezer and spare kegs, a souring barrel, and a fermentation chamber - and wonder where it all went wrong right.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I got my dad into brewing in Father's Day and he now has entered his stuff into Untappd and honestly rates it

What has happened

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Would be cool to get to that point.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

You can enter beer into Untappd and it's not a big deal apparently, I know at least one poster here does it (lookin at you marsh_blue)

It's just funny seeing him rate stuff at 3.5 when I think it's at least 4 if not 4.5

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

JawKnee posted:

years from now you will look into your brew-shed/room, at several shelves of fermenters, bottles, and various equipment, a keezer and spare kegs, a souring barrel, and a fermentation chamber - and wonder where it all went wrong right.

:vince: you've just reminded me I need a souring barrel!!!!!!!

Actually no, I need to wait until I move house. And then we find a pair of nice 25 litre barrels. One for sours and one not :getin:

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

hmm. now i have to look into that. the wife loves sours.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Say goodbye to your wallet because from this point on your equipment will never be good or plentiful enough.

I've successfully pulled back from the brink of madness.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

You can enter beer into Untappd and it's not a big deal apparently, I know at least one poster here does it (lookin at you marsh_blue)

It's just funny seeing him rate stuff at 3.5 when I think it's at least 4 if not 4.5

I enter a good amount of my beer in untappd. Tasker-Morris Brewing if anyone cares. My username is HatfulOfHollow.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Speaking of souring barrels I'm brewing up a Flanders Red today that will be my first sour to go into my barrel. I'm planning on doing it solera style so in a year I'll brew up another batch, pull 4 gallons out of the barrel to bottle and replace it with 4 gallons of yet to be soured beer onto the 1 gallon of already sour beer. Doing that plus dumping the dregs of any sours I drink into it should make things pretty interesting before too long.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I enter a good amount of my beer in untappd. Tasker-Morris Brewing if anyone cares. My username is HatfulOfHollow.

Yeah i enter mine in too. Hive mind brewing. But maybe its tome for a goon brewery to pop up for all our beers.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
When I had a bunch of sours going, I'd have one bucket with light and one with dark wort fermented completely with lacto. I would blend that to taste with young beer at bottling. I think it's hard to hit the right balance with one vessel.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

Josh Wow posted:

Speaking of souring barrels I'm brewing up a Flanders Red today that will be my first sour to go into my barrel. I'm planning on doing it solera style so in a year I'll brew up another batch, pull 4 gallons out of the barrel to bottle and replace it with 4 gallons of yet to be soured beer onto the 1 gallon of already sour beer. Doing that plus dumping the dregs of any sours I drink into it should make things pretty interesting before too long.

Be careful, a year in a 5 gallon barrel is gonna impart a ton of wood flavor. The ratio of beer to wood is much higher in these smaller barrels compared to the full-sized. I've got a 5.5 gallon Balcones barrel and after a few batches, the longest I would keep beer on it would be 3-4 months. Make sure to keep an eye on it, worst case scenario is you have to pull beer more often and let it funk up in a carboy.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

ExtremistCow posted:

Be careful, a year in a 5 gallon barrel is gonna impart a ton of wood flavor. The ratio of beer to wood is much higher in these smaller barrels compared to the full-sized. I've got a 5.5 gallon Balcones barrel and after a few batches, the longest I would keep beer on it would be 3-4 months. Make sure to keep an eye on it, worst case scenario is you have to pull beer more often and let it funk up in a carboy.

I've already run several clean batches through this barrel and have had water soaking in it for about 6 months so I think it'll be fine. Worst case scenario is it gets too oaky and I end up blending it with a batch of non-sour beer to balance things out.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I just started a solera of a sour saison in a glass carboy with two oak spirals floating in it. I figure that should be enough oak if I'm taking half of the beer every 4-5 months. I wish I was brave enough t use a small barrel, but I don't trust whatever wild yeast might be floating around in my basement.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I just started a solera of a sour saison in a glass carboy with two oak spirals floating in it. I figure that should be enough oak if I'm taking half of the beer every 4-5 months. I wish I was brave enough t use a small barrel, but I don't trust whatever wild yeast might be floating around in my basement.

So can someone explain a Solera to me? Is it basically a beer you keep some of and bottle at different stages? B/c I would love to start barrel aging, our LHBS has a lambic on the go at the moment and the brewpub I went to the other day had two somethings going, no idea what.

I got an early xmas present from my LHBS for my smoked imperial stout too, which I have to brew soon - 100g of bourbon soaked oak chips. Which should add some real character to the beer I think. I've posted the recipe previously, but this is my second, more boozy iteration:

5kg/50.4% TF Pearl Malt
3kg/30.2% Smoked Malt (I use Hickory smoked but plan to do a Cherrywood one when I can be bothered to drive to North Brisbane to get some)
350g/3.5% Weyermann Choc Wheat
300g/3% ea Roasted Barley and Carafa III
150g/1.5% Pale Chocolate
375g Treacle
450g D90 Candi Syrup
70 IBU Centennial @ 60 mins
WLP028 @ 1.5b pitch rate
90 min boil

19l/5 gal batch size
65% assumed efficiency (normally I sit around 80-85% so I've accounted for the ridiculous amount of grain etc.)

Preboil OG target is around 1.078
Post-boil target is around 1.103 :vince:
According to Beersmith, my FG will be around 1.032. 9.6% ABV :getin:

I did this beer last time with Wyeast London Ale III and it was just ridiculous. It had a several inch thick krausen for the best part of about 5-6 weeks, and I had to just let it ride. I think this one will have to go into a storage cube though for now, because we move house in about a month or so.

Also Paladine_PSOT or Santa, just curious if you were able to grab a tracking number for me? I haven't seen anything turn up as yet :(

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

McSpergin posted:

So can someone explain a Solera to me? Is it basically a beer you keep some of and bottle at different stages? B/c I would love to start barrel aging, our LHBS has a lambic on the go at the moment and the brewpub I went to the other day had two somethings going, no idea what.

For many homebrewers a Solera is taken in the Rodenbach style. It goes something like this: Fill 55 or 30 gallon barrel with wort, add wild yeast, take out every X months adding the same amount taken out. It becomes a blend of everything over the years and so on. Problems being: yeast build up, if it goes belly up you are left with a gently caress-load of malt vinegar, not a lot of actual blending.

A true solera is best to think of as a layers of fermentors/barrels/whathaveyou, as well as a visual to help us along:

New fresh goodies go in the top, and you bottle from the bottom where each layer is blended 'down' to the ever 'older' poison. This way you are always getting a large blend of the most broad and most old versions of said liquid. This style is usually used to make sherry, vinegars (like REAL balsamic), port and so on. Problems: size, possible row failures, vinegar, too much air, etc.

I'm attempting the ladder with standard buckets and am adding my 2nd criadera (3rd layer) come next couple weeks. Both have their merits, I saw it as a challenge to create it, my version will produce an aged blended sour every 2 months (once 'set up' come spring).

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I've been thinking about doing something similar to that, I think you just convinced me to go for it. Basically I'll make a slightly different sour (probably a flanders pale) and just age it in a carboy, then when it comes time to bottle the flanders red I have the option of blending it. So the first year I could have straight flanders red, straight flanders pale and a blend all bottled. Leaving a gallon each of the red and pale I top those off and start a third sour that's also slightly different. Year two I get to bottle up to six different sours with all the blending I could do. That's probably as far as I'd take it, I have 4 glass carboys so I could deal with two of them always being occupied.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Has anyone done any beers with chai tea or mulling spices? I've done some pumpkin beers in the past, but I think I want to do something more in the mulled/chai flavor range. Maybe a brown ale or a winter wheat?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
A few years ago, I did an oatmeal pale ale (see Radical Brewing) that I dosed with vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg via tincture. I goofed somewhere and the spice was too strong when taken straight, but it was simply amazing when mixed 50:50 with cider.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

A few years ago, I did an oatmeal pale ale (see Radical Brewing) that I dosed with vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg via tincture. I goofed somewhere and the spice was too strong when taken straight, but it was simply amazing when mixed 50:50 with cider.

I actually skimmed my copy of Radical Brewing looking for ideas and saw that one in there. I might do something similar with the chai or mulling spices, though I'm debating if I want to do it as a tincture or just toss it in at flameout. I did think about something with oatmeal, but my other beer on tap right now is an oatmeal milk stout, so I don't want to get too similar.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

rockcity posted:

Has anyone done any beers with chai tea or mulling spices? I've done some pumpkin beers in the past, but I think I want to do something more in the mulled/chai flavor range. Maybe a brown ale or a winter wheat?

I made a pumpkin beer and tossed in three teaspoons or so of chai spices I bought in India on a trip there and it came out pretty drat good. I hate pumpkin beer and this was just for my family and girlfriend but everyone loved it including myself. Just tossed it in at flame out.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

When I free up a carboy I'm going to be doing a chai saison. After my disastrous attempt at a spiced winter warmer where I put the spices directly into secondary I'm thinking I'll just brew a strong chai and blend it in with the beer at bottling. I think it's too much of an unknown to add the spices by themselves.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Alright, so he's what I'm thinking for the recipe.

5 gallon batch size, estimating 70% efficiency

7 lbs Pilsner Malt
5 lbs Wheat Malt
2 lbs Vienna Malt
.5 lb Crystal 80
.5 lb Flaked Oats (I'll probably toast these)
.25 lb Chocolate Malt
.5 lb Rice Hulls

1.5 oz Saaz at 60 min
.5 oz Saaz at 10 min

White Labs WLP410 Belgian Wit II Yeast

I'm still debating on how to incorporate the Chai, but I'm leaning toward making a strong tea and tossing it into the secondary when I rack it over.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.
Why not just drop the brewed tea in the keg or bottling bucket? I recently started keg hopping and I really didn't see any difference from doing that or doing it in secondary.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I want to do a big , dark brew. Im thinking 2012 woot stout

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I want to do a big , dark brew. Im thinking 2012 woot stout

I'm doing my smoked stout soonish. Probably gonna cube it though because we're due to move soon, but I'm gonna throw some bourbon soaked oak chips in it to simulate bourbon barrel aging

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Green apple in a high ABV BA beer - will it go away over time? More of just a green apple flavor and less of a nail polish flavor.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

The one thing I love about BIAB with a 40 litre/10 gallon urn is how loving quick it is for post brew day cleanup. Having said that I clean as I go ie spent grain is out into the bin as soon as the boil is switched on, but even to clean the urn, I can walk away for an hour or two post dumping to fermenter, and go back to it and my entire brewery area is clean within 20 min. The benefit of having a huge rear end ensuite is that I have a shower with a detachable head so I use that to clean. Brilliant. It's literally the only thing keeping me from going 3V

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Jacobey000 posted:

For many homebrewers a Solera is taken in the Rodenbach style. It goes something like this: Fill 55 or 30 gallon barrel with wort, add wild yeast, take out every X months adding the same amount taken out. It becomes a blend of everything over the years and so on. Problems being: yeast build up, if it goes belly up you are left with a gently caress-load of malt vinegar, not a lot of actual blending.

A true solera is best to think of as a layers of fermentors/barrels/whathaveyou, as well as a visual to help us along:

New fresh goodies go in the top, and you bottle from the bottom where each layer is blended 'down' to the ever 'older' poison. This way you are always getting a large blend of the most broad and most old versions of said liquid. This style is usually used to make sherry, vinegars (like REAL balsamic), port and so on. Problems: size, possible row failures, vinegar, too much air, etc.

I'm attempting the ladder with standard buckets and am adding my 2nd criadera (3rd layer) come next couple weeks. Both have their merits, I saw it as a challenge to create it, my version will produce an aged blended sour every 2 months (once 'set up' come spring).

Interesting. I can only do about 6-7 gallons of lower ABV stuff so I'd likely have to enlist some help on this but I know the LHBS has a lambic going in that sort of setup

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Green apple in a high ABV BA beer - will it go away over time? More of just a green apple flavor and less of a nail polish flavor.

I had that issue on my last smoked stout, it's Acetaldehyde if memory serves. Ideally longer time in the fermenter, or longer in the bottle aging will should clear that up. Similarly with diacetyl it's usually a sign of just sitting not long enough. My stout still had very hard to pick amounts at 6 months bottled, I couldn't find it but a friend with a better palate was able to just pick it.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I just had an idea that may be relevant to next secret Santa for whoever is running it:

Maybe an option to say whether under ingredients you are all grain, partial or extract, and if all grain, whether you have a mill. I lucked out on my Santee having one available but man that would have sucked if not

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Local homebrew club friend is tinkering around and made this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Alv5o3VNfet8dEVSSjBLYzY2bnRLVmF5Z0N3UlYxcnc&usp=docslist_api&pli=1

I use beersmith most the time but just wanted to pass it on as some people cant always get on with brewtoad etc. :)

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Does anyone here have any knowledge/experience of brewing gluten-free beer? Looking at Briess White Sorghum Syrup, what beers would be best made with that? Something light and hoppy?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Noxville posted:

Does anyone here have any knowledge/experience of brewing gluten-free beer? Looking at Briess White Sorghum Syrup, what beers would be best made with that? Something light and hoppy?

Are you trying to brew truly gluten free or nearly gluten free. PolyClar (a comercially available fining agent) has been known to reduce the gluten content to below the 5PPM threshold for most people with gluten intolerance issues to be able to consume it. Not a lot of help i can give on truly gluten free since i haven't tried it.

I would recommend trying something light-ish and semi-hoppy (think SMASH vs IPA or something) so there's not too much in the way to be able to figure out the flavors and adapt from there. You will likely need to play around with recipes a bit as Sorghum has a significantly different taste profile than barley malt.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
There's also an enzyme you can add to beer to break down any gluten:

http://www.whitelabs.com/other-products/wln4000-clarity-ferm

I think it would reduce gluten to very low levels, but probably not remove every bit of it.

And I just remembered about these guys, who produce several malted gluten-free grains:

http://coloradomaltingcompany.com/Gluten_Free_Grain.html

vvv Doubtful. Try it and report back!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Would adding this stuff make me less fat from drinking so much beer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Noxville posted:

Conveniently a guy in my BC has just done something. Basically the trick is using your sorghum stuff from Briess, unless you want to get into malting your own grains from things like millet. Best bet is to brew with a lot of adjuncts, things like candi syrup apparently do well in GF beers, but basically yeah if it's just an intolerance you could use CF but if it's not allowed at all you'll have to get very creative with adjuncts or learn how to malt